Author Topic: Will DT11 be a huge breakthrough into the mainstream?  (Read 12490 times)

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
Re: Will DT11 be a huge breakthrough into the mainstream?
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2011, 12:39:18 AM »
Hate to tell you this tgstk2, but A7X and Linkin Park are metal.  Whether they're good or not is up for debate. :P  I'd also call Slipknot fairly mainstream.  They're definitely one of the most prolific modern metal bands (though I wonder if they'll still go on after their bassist died). 

GNR is/was still hard rock.  Bon Jovi isn't really close anymore.

i am really curious who chooses which band is metal or notl. maybe its also coutnry related?
Coming from the Netherlands, AX7 is an unkown band here (YEAHHHHHHHHHH!! ) and linkin park is considered rock. (listen to there last album...there's not even a distorted guitar on it..how can you call it metal?)....
i think the name "metal" will be attched to a band if:
- radio stations say so
- record company's say so
- internet says so.

Gnr is indeed hard rock. and good rock :-) john bon jovi is as gay as music can get.....
slipknot is indeed considered metal and somehow maintsream, the wait and bleed  song got radio play at the right time i guess, so slipknot was excepted, as metal as mainstream..without that song/radioplay they would never become mainstream.
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2011, 01:43:02 AM »
I'd say if they start doing arena tours in America, then they've gone "mainstream"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2011, 02:35:21 AM »
Hate to tell you this tgstk2, but A7X and Linkin Park are metal.  Whether they're good or not is up for debate. :P  I'd also call Slipknot fairly mainstream.  They're definitely one of the most prolific modern metal bands (though I wonder if they'll still go on after their bassist died). 

GNR is/was still hard rock.  Bon Jovi isn't really close anymore.

i am really curious who chooses which band is metal or notl. maybe its also coutnry related?
Coming from the Netherlands, AX7 is an unkown band here (YEAHHHHHHHHHH!! ) and linkin park is considered rock. (listen to there last album...there's not even a distorted guitar on it..how can you call it metal?)....
i think the name "metal" will be attched to a band if:
- radio stations say so
- record company's say so
- internet says so.
Linkin Park are considered a metal band by a lot of people because of the fact that their first two albums (by far their best known ones) are mostly metal music. It has nothing to do with what anyone else says and everything to do with the music.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jamhet

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2011, 04:13:30 AM »
Linkin Park are considered a metal band by a lot of people because of the fact that their first two albums (by far their best known ones) are mostly metal music.
QFT

(listen to there last album...there's not even a distorted guitar on it..how can you call it metal?)
Nobody calls their last album metal. Because it is not.
Can you fathom the idea of bands changing styles and music genres during their careers?
Linkin Park did that. And during their breakthrough they were mostly metal.

There are rock bands that I don't like, but that doesn't make me call their music reagee or country because of that. Haha, metal fans seem to do that with any metal band they don't like. So silly.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:33:22 AM by jamhet »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2011, 05:00:00 AM »
:lol Well said. I think most bands get defined by the music they play when they make their breakthrough. It's why Rush get called a prog band, even though they only have a handful of prog albums.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2011, 05:37:55 AM »
Given the nature of their sound, to achieve true mainstream success, they'd have to do what Genesis did in the 80's, which was to shift more towards more catchy singles, with only a handful of truly progressive songs on each album.  I don't see DT doing that.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the average song length was shorter now. If you remember Octavarium was mainly more straight forward songs, with only really 8V, SS and maybe TROAE being more "typical" DT, and we know JP loves that album.

Offline tgstk2

• PanterA
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »
Linkin Park are considered a metal band by a lot of people because of the fact that their first two albums (by far their best known ones) are mostly metal music.
QFT

(listen to there last album...there's not even a distorted guitar on it..how can you call it metal?)
Can you fathom the idea of bands changing styles and music genres during their careers?
Linkin Park did that. And during their breakthrough they
There are rock bands that I don't like, but that doesn't make me call their music reagee or country because of that. Haha, metal fans seem to do that with any metal band they don't like. So silly.

...considered metal by a lot of people...im not one of them
Your last comment ...sigh :facepalm:
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2011, 04:25:34 PM »
QFT

Linkin Park did that. And during their breakthrough they

...considered metal by a lot of people...im not one of them
Your last comment ...sigh :facepalm:

His last comment is correct.  You said yourself that Slipknot is metal, but I've heard Slayer fans call Slipknot emo because of Duality, and Maiden fans say that Slipknot insults their fanbase by calling themselves metal.  Hell, my brother does it all the time.  His definition of metal very closely resembles his list of bands that he likes. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
Yeah I've never understood the fascination with using "not metal" or "not this genre" to mean "not good". Even "not prog" to some extent gets used like that but if I say that it's more likely to turn into a shitstorm if I say that.

I find it difficult to imagine how someone could listen to, say, Avenged Sevenfold and say that they aren't metal. Especially considering how diverse metal is. You can think it's not very good metal if you want, but if it's not metal in any way then what is it?

Offline Major Thirteenth

• He has his father's eyes... Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2011, 10:12:25 PM »
Given the nature of their sound, to achieve true mainstream success, they'd have to do what Genesis did in the 80's, which was to shift more towards more catchy singles, with only a handful of truly progressive songs on each album.  I don't see DT doing that.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the average song length was shorter now. If you remember Octavarium was mainly more straight forward songs, with only really 8V, SS and maybe TROAE being more "typical" DT, and we know JP loves that album.

I do not believe there are any really short songs that will be targeted at mainstream popularity. I believe all the songs will be of the type we have all come to know and love: long, sweeping, historical, etc.

Offline tgstk2

• PanterA
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2011, 03:07:02 AM »
maybe it's better to just call everytning music. there so many ddiffernt sorts or metal, and layers of metal. s .... i think people label a bands msusuc to a certain genre with his own  musical taste in mind.......  i just disagree that "metal"fans are all the same and such ..that's just being deaf dumb and blind at the same time...
bands are being called metal to easily i guess. a scream or distorted guitar doesn't make you metal.
but that's all due to personal taste.

if you say ax7, dt, metallica, slayer, obituary, death, syl, machine head, necrophagist, cannibal corpse, morbid angel, deftones, linkin park  and all being called metal...i hope that mainstream people do hear a difference there.
anway back on topic!

the change of DT having there first time radio hit, like a real britney spears kind of hit..i think changes are 0,00001% so there's still a change  :metal
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:12:49 AM by tgstk2 »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2011, 04:06:36 AM »
I agree with you about generalising about "metal" fans, that's just a silly thing to do!

As for that list of bands, I would say that they can definitely all justifiably be called metal bands, but remember that "metal" is a very broad and all-encompassing genre. You talk about screams and distorted guitars, and indeed those don't automatically make something metal, but they are very prominent characteristics of the genre. "Metal" is nearly as broad a definition as "rock" or "jazz".

But I do also agree that genre definitions are irrelevant anyway, and are only really there for people to make comparisons and categorise things easily. Music is music!

I be am boner inducing.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2011, 06:46:40 AM »

From what JLB has posted, it sounds like there are 8 songs on the album, give or take 1 (after recording 6 he said "3/4 done"). So that could be 8 nine-minute songs or a bunch of short tunes and one epic like OV. So it's possible there could be a couple like TALW and IWBY - but I doubt it. I think they are really going for it on this album and songs like that just wouldn't fit with that mindset.

Offline tgstk2

• PanterA
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2011, 08:00:54 AM »
. Music is music!

this just says it all :-) thanks.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2011, 11:27:16 AM »
No, never. DT aren't suddenly going to start writing short radio hits.

These Walls, Forsaken, Wither, and many others would like a word with you.
These Walls? Seriously?
Anyway, the general public, which has no idea these songs even existed would like to have a word with you ;]

I know that "These Walls "was included in a pre-release package to radio stations , the stations just choose not to play it
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »
Music is music!

“Everything is music. When I go home, I throw knickers in the oven and it’s music. Crash, boom, bang!”

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2011, 06:05:16 AM »

the change of DT having there first time radio hit, like a real britney spears kind of hit..i think changes are 0,00001% so there's still a change  :metal

Uhm actually Pull Me Under from I&W got quite a bit of radio airplay.  It was really my first radio experience from DT.  Was kind of what sealed my fate as it were as a DT fan. 
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Magikernandy

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2011, 02:39:58 AM »
Some metalbands tend to enter the charts really high but almost all the fans buy the album within a month.

Children of Bodom and Opeth hit the top 25 on the mainstream charts for instance but I don´t think they sold very many albums at all in the US. They just happened to release their album during a week with really low record sales.

These days you don´t have to sell very many copies to debut at no.1 actually if you do it during the worst week of the year. Even bands that are far from mainstream like DT for instance  might do that if they are lucky.

Offline tgstk2

• PanterA
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2011, 06:00:45 AM »
the whole SCO episodes did give DT extra exposure.
so i think some of the people who where none DT followers prior to this will be anxious to see what DT is....
so if the sales are going higher than expected, or maybe even sky high.......maybe a video needs to be made, a single etc etc....

so yes this will be good for DT.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2011, 10:59:01 AM »
Plus they were the 2nd most trended topic on twitter.

But it really doesn't matter as I don't listen to the radio often.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TL

« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »
Radio is becoming less and less of a factor these days, and the whole notion of a 'mainstream' music scene has really become decentralized over the last few years. Yes, there are still a few acts that regularly show up in the top 40, and who are more well known, but largely because of the internet, that whole model is fading fast.
A band like DT will probably never get the kind of media exposure that a pop star de jour, but they also no longer need to. That traditional media exposure is becoming less and less powerful every year.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2011, 05:13:41 AM »

Uhm actually Pull Me Under from I&W got quite a bit of radio airplay.  It was really my first radio experience from DT.  Was kind of what sealed my fate as it were as a DT fan. 
This definitely.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2011, 07:46:45 AM »

This definitely.