Author Topic: Will DT11 be a huge breakthrough into the mainstream?  (Read 12491 times)

Offline Ħ

Will DT11 be a huge breakthrough into the mainstream?
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:53:06 AM »
I am actually thinking that it has this potential.  There are more factors than ever going for it.  For one, they have more fans than they'd ever had.  The documentary has nearly a million view on youtube and it really hasn't been out that long.  Second, they've got one of the most talented drummers in the world (and all the "drama" and attention that has accompanied it.  Third, Roadrunner has, to my knowledge, become the main label for the metal scene.  Fourth, we have sort of entered a "Rock Band" culture where instrumental skill has become something people have started to cherish.

I think the time is better than any other (except perhaps the time period around IAW) for them to make it big.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Will DT11 be a huge breakthrough into the mainstream?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:55:28 AM »
If the album has some shorter songs, it could help out the band a little bit more. Maybe BC&SL had that potential if it had cut down on the lengthy tracks
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:57:07 AM »
Depends what 'mainstream' is. If it's radio play then they'll never be mainstream. If it's more fans than ever and possibly a Top 5 debut on the Billboards (BCSL was 6), then it's probably likely.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 12:58:16 AM »
It's hard to define mainstream, but in general I mean "popular enough to where most people have at least heard of them."
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 01:48:18 AM »
I am actually thinking that it has this potential.  There are more factors than ever going for it.  For one, they have more fans than they'd ever had.  The documentary has nearly a million view on youtube and it really hasn't been out that long.  Second, they've got one of the most talented drummers in the world (and all the "drama" and attention that has accompanied it.  Third, Roadrunner has, to my knowledge, become the main label for the metal scene.  Fourth, we have sort of entered a "Rock Band" culture where instrumental skill has become something people have started to cherish.

I think the time is better than any other (except perhaps the time period around IAW) for them to make it big.

Just in case, but the documentary - the 3 parts together- have nearly 2 million views.
As far as becoming more widespread, yes. Mainstream, no.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 03:24:27 AM »
It will all depend on whether or not they finally get that elusive shot at Conan O'Brian.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 03:39:40 AM »
I can't imagine them getting "mainstream" mainstream... but Faith No More, Tool, Megadeth kind of level? They're already well on their way.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 03:42:38 AM »
No, never. DT aren't suddenly going to start writing short radio hits.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 03:50:17 AM »
In a selfish way, I hope not.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 03:57:23 AM »
It will all depend on whether or not they finally get that elusive shot at Conan O'Brian.
Oh my God, I would love this to happen.  :metal

And I would like DT11 to be their breakthrough album.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 08:31:12 AM »

They already have.

Wither you like it or not.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 08:58:55 AM »
I think a lot more people will be picking this album up because of everything that has went down since BC&SL.

Offline jamhet

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 09:06:15 AM »
Second, they've got one of the most talented drummers in the world
Because they didn't have one with Portnoy?
One doesn't conquer mainstream media with great drummers, but with radio hit songs with simple, memorable choruses.

But seriously - Who fucking cares for the mainstream?
The mainstream music lies in opposition to ambitious music, and DT is the latter.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 09:07:13 AM »
Just in the metal/rock community, I'd say.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 09:22:30 AM »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »
After all these records, and knowing their history as well as I do (and many here also do), I really want this to be a huge mainstream success. They deserve it.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 09:59:23 AM »
Jeez I hope not :S It would be like Falling Into Infinity all over again...

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »

If we all, as a group, start tweeting Conan and suggesting Dream Theater, it could, potentially, happen

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 10:13:46 AM »
Jeez I hope not :S It would be like Falling Into Infinity all over again...

:facepalm:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jamhet

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 10:15:56 AM »
Just in the metal/rock community, I'd say.
This this!
I'd really want them to earn more esteem in the metal community, where they are often regarded as the corny "1 billion notes per second without any feel for the music" prog rockers, which is so unfair to them.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 10:21:43 AM »

These Walls, Forsaken, Wither, and many others would like a word with you.

Offline jamhet

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 10:29:38 AM »

These Walls, Forsaken, Wither, and many others would like a word with you.
These Walls? Seriously?
Anyway, the general public, which has no idea these songs even existed would like to have a word with you ;]

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »
This is their time to shine.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »
Hard to say, personally I feel like Systematic Chaos was a breakthrough into the mainstream, mostly because it got a lot more attention here in Sweden (at least) compared to earlier albums.
When BC&SL was released, it pretty much continued that way.
Guess Roadrunner has to do with it.

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »

These Walls I Walk Beside You, Forsaken, Wither, and many others would like a word with you.
Fixed.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 12:24:36 PM »
Second, they've got one of the most talented drummers in the world
Because they didn't have one with Portnoy?
One doesn't conquer mainstream media with great drummers, but with radio hit songs with simple, memorable choruses.

But seriously - Who fucking cares for the mainstream?
The mainstream music lies in opposition to ambitious music, and DT is the latter.

Not necessarily.  Look how unconventional Tool and SOAD are and they got TONS of mainstream media exposure.

As for the topic of whether DT11 could be their second big break into the mainstream, I think that if it hits number 1 on Billboard (of course, it depends on what else comes out that week and assumes that no famous controversial pop singer dies) then they'll get plenty of press, but unless they have a really successful single I don't see it happening. 

Though speaking of successful singles the first time I heard a DT song in an outside environment was in a Best Buy when the store was playing it on the radio.  I thought that was pretty cool.  So I agree with Rob that they're on their way already to a FNM/Megadeth kind of popularity (except I think DT played a bigger venue in Asheville compared to the one Megadeth played for their RiP 20th anniversary tour). 

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »
I never looked on DT like on mainstream band, but anyway in Poland you say Dream Theater, and you see happyness, there one not many people who haven't heard of DT... big fan base in here  :metal

Offline TL

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »
As a few people in here have said, I think they have a really good shot at becoming really big in rock/metal circles. As for mainstream radio play, even if the album is really successful and they have a few songs that would be perfect for it, I doubt it will happen.

These days, between obscure and mainstream, there's an ever-growing third category. DT is already quite successful by the standards of that category, and could certainly become one of the biggest non-mainstream bands out there.

Offline razorsedge

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 01:02:24 PM »

If we all, as a group, start tweeting Conan and suggesting Dream Theater, it could, potentially, happen

really?  i always thought DT was "big" enough to play one of the late night shows (maybe late late,) i just thought the band never considered it a good platform for them.  i mean, even playing one of their shorter singles, i still have a hard time seeing them on a small stage like that.

keys and gates. That's some fantasy shit right there.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:24 PM »
If The Mountain Goats are big enough to play Letterman...

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »

really?  i always thought DT was "big" enough to play one of the late night shows (maybe late late,) i just thought the band never considered it a good platform for them.  i mean, even playing one of their shorter singles, i still have a hard time seeing them on a small stage like that.

There's also the chance of them just going on for an interview or something. Ever since the whole Team Coco/Twitter thing, Conan kinda lives by Twitter. Just a little bit. So I imagine a small campaign of twitting DT related stuff to Conan could get his attention. With enough popular demand, he might try to book them. I could see them doing the last interview of the night and then preforming right after.

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »
as far as britain is concerned i think they should play a couple of thier shorter songs on the jules holand show i would love to see that!!!! :yarr
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 01:41:12 PM »
I guess this will be a kind of make/break album for dt

People will say, told ya so dt sucks without mp ,mp is dt etc and
People will say this is the best album dt ever made or brst since...insert album title

Ainstream nah dt just isnt mainstream even when they try they cant and i love m for it  :hat
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline Mladen

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
There's also the chance of them just going on for an interview or something. Ever since the whole Team Coco/Twitter thing, Conan kinda lives by Twitter. Just a little bit. So I imagine a small campaign of twitting DT related stuff to Conan could get his attention. With enough popular demand, he might try to book them. I could see them doing the last interview of the night and then preforming right after.
I have no twitter account, but I hope some of you that have one will be into it.  :tup :tup :tup

Offline TL

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »
I also don't have a twitter account, but those who do should try that. It's definitely worth a shot.