Author Topic: So much for separating church and state  (Read 5335 times)

Offline William Wallace

So much for separating church and state
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:43:58 PM »
https://www.theage.com.au/victoria/government-comes-to-atheist-party-20110514-1enkv.html
THE ''four horsemen of the anti-apocalypse'', the world's most prominent atheists, will share a public platform for the first time in Melbourne next year in an event partly funded by the state government.
:lol

I guess all those tears cried over church and state were the crocodile variety.

Offline GuineaPig

Re: So much for separating church and state
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »
And no government has ever, ever, funded anything church-related in the history of Western civilization.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 09:51:21 PM »
https://www.theage.com.au/victoria/government-comes-to-atheist-party-20110514-1enkv.html
THE ''four horsemen of the anti-apocalypse'', the world's most prominent atheists, will share a public platform for the first time in Melbourne next year in an event partly funded by the state government.

Atheists don't have a church as far as I know.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:23:32 PM »
And no government has ever, ever, funded anything church-related in the history of Western civilization.
That's not the point.

Related blog post is up too.

Online Adami

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 10:25:16 PM »
Atheism is not a religion. They have no church. There is no problem.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 10:27:51 PM »
That's a technicality. What have they always objected to? Religious people spreading their views at everybody's expense. Now they are doing exactly the same thing.

Online Adami

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »
That's a technicality. What have they always objected to? Religious people spreading their views at everybody's expense. Now they are doing exactly the same thing.

So?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 10:33:25 PM »

So?
Hypocritical? Just slightly?

Online Adami

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 10:36:55 PM »

So?

Just good business.

Are they telling people not to believe in god?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 10:43:42 PM »

So?

Just good business.

You're purposefully ignoring the underlying point with wordplay. An event hosting militant atheists propagating an exclusive world view is being supported monetarily by the government, something that would cause a shitstorm had the event been a religious or spiritual one.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »

So?

Just good business.

They're probably just going to talk about the weather.

Online Adami

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 11:01:17 PM »
I'm not sure why they'd be talking about the weather.

Also, hasn't the government funded religious schools before?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wjc

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 01:15:10 AM »

State governments in Australia often tend to pay event organisers money to host their events in their states, citing a supposed boost to the economy, and the international exposure these events bring. This does include religious events, most notably Catholic church's World Youth Day in Sydney was funded to the tune of $200 million.
There's nothing in Australia specifically establishing the separation of church and state, and governments have frequently promoted religion. Most recently this has come up as the Federal Government's newish program to fund chaplains to work in schools in place of qualified counsellors; the Federal Government also generously subsidises the (predominantly religious) private school system, giving very little money to public schools.
Have your say in DT: The League

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 02:34:15 AM »

I dunno, man. I'm not sure if I agree with that statement. Maybe I'm being too picky over the exact words you used? Or, maybe you're saying that's just one of the things they bitch about?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 03:35:33 AM »
WW, it's Australia.  Who cares how they do things down there other than Australians?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 12:20:12 PM »
You're purposefully ignoring the underlying point with wordplay. An event hosting militant atheists propagating an exclusive world view is being supported monetarily by the government, something that would cause a shitstorm had the event been a religious or spiritual one.

Actually, they're getting government funding because a similar religious event did get funding:
The Atheist Foundation of Australia complained in 2010 because their first convention, held that year, received no funding, while the Parliament of the World's Religions, held the same year, received $2 million.

I don't think either should get funding, but it's better that they both do than just one. It's hardly hypocritical to ask for equal treatment by the government. Not to mention that the organization running the event being an Australian group that's had no part in the discussion over church and state separation in America.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:02:17 PM by Sigz »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 12:28:31 PM »
An event hosting militant atheists   

They are not militant.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 12:56:56 PM »

They are not militant.

The Global Atheist Convention, ''A Celebration of Reason'', will host authors Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennett and Sam Harris, the four champions of the so-called ''new atheism''.

Pretty sure they are.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »

Not the point.  It's still a religious view, and thus the U.S. government shouldn't endorse it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 01:05:57 PM »

Not the point.  It's still a religious view, and thus the U.S. government shouldn't endorse it.

...........the US government isn't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 01:06:35 PM »
Dawkins is a bit over the top and rather vocal, but he isn't militant.
Can we refrain from using hyperbole constantly?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:09 PM »

...........the US government isn't.

I know, but you were making a broader comment on the idea of separation of church and state.

rumborak

Fair point to make.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:58 PM »

They are not militant.

The Global Atheist Convention, ''A Celebration of Reason'', will host authors Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennett and Sam Harris, the four champions of the so-called ''new atheism''.

Pretty sure they are.

Allow me to educate you on the meaning of militant.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/militant
mil·i·tant  (ml-tnt)
adj.
1. Fighting or warring.
2. Having a combative character; aggressive, especially in the service of a cause: a militant political activist.
n.
A fighting, warring, or aggressive person or party.

None of them are aggressive, warring or in any way advocating for violent reform. They speak of science, reason and give lectures on counter arguments to religious claims. You calling them militant no matter how much you wish to smear there image does not make it so.    

rumborak

Thank you

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 03:50:28 PM »

Alright well I didn't use the term to make you defensive as you tend to get in these types of discussions. My use of the word militant was to mean overly aggressive, and true to its definition thats precisely what Dawkins, the other atheists, the other convention they are talking about, and bible thumpers everywhere have made a career out of.

Online Adami

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »

Actually, they're getting government funding because a similar religious event did get funding:
The Atheist Foundation of Australia complained in 2010 because their first convention, held that year, received no funding, while the Parliament of the World's Religions, held the same year, received $2 million.

I don't think either should get funding, but it's better that they both do than just one. It's hardly hypocritical to ask for equal treatment by the government. Not to mention that the organization running the event being an Australian group that's had no part in the discussion over church and state separation in America.

Just quoting because it got ignored.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 04:33:11 PM »

Alright well I didn't use the term to make you defensive as you tend to get in these types of discussions. My use of the word militant was to mean overly aggressive, and true to its definition thats precisely what Dawkins, the other atheists, the other convention they are talking about, and bible thumpers everywhere have made a career out of.

Apparently you have not once watched anything by any of those men, to still think them aggressive. I could see insensitive, blunt or asshole as a descriptor; but militant is just fucking silly. You have a biased perception, that's it. 

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 04:34:23 PM »
Actually, they're getting government funding because a similar religious event did get funding...
Again, this is not the point. Religious groups around the world often receive government money, but the atheist rallying cry on this issue has always been complete separation of church and state, which I agree with. Yet they're willing to take public money when it's offered.

I don't think either should get funding
I agree

Not to mention that the organization running the event being an Australian group that's had no part in the discussion over church and state separation in America.
But they have indeed had a lot to say about it in Australia, and they're not fans of Bible giveaways or "god-speak" in public schools. And that's all lovely. But you can't decry the evils of publicly financed religious indoctrination and then take public funds for your own convention.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »
Well Mr. Wallace, I semi agree with you. I say semi because I don't know all the information.

Online Adami

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 04:48:17 PM »
Robert, would you have started this thread if the Australian government had funded a christian thing? Would it have riled you up to whatever extent that this has? Or are you just upset that the atheists are getting the same treatment as Christians and now deem them hypocrites for taking advantage of their situation?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »
Robert, would you have started this thread if the Australian government had funded a christian thing? Would it have riled you up to whatever extent that this has? Or are you just upset that the atheists are getting the same treatment as Christians and now deem them hypocrites for taking advantage of their situation?
Any public money spent on just about anything irritates me. Would I have started a thread about some evangelical group taking state money? No. But they don't campaign against state sponsored religious instruction; they push it every chance they get.

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »
Any public money spent on just about anything irritates me. Would I have started a thread about some evangelical group taking state money? No. But they don't campaign against state sponsored religious instruction; they push it every chance they get.

So, it's not so much the lack of separation between church and state that bugs you, but that Atheists are accepting a specific kind of treatment that they have fought against others having. Interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »

Apparently you have not once watched anything by any of those men, to still think them aggressive. I could see insensitive, blunt or asshole as a descriptor; but militant is just fucking silly. You have a biased perception, that's it. 

This is pointless, the issue is not Dependant on Dawkins or other atheists being aggressive, militant, or  peace loving hipsters. it's that government funding for any extreme world-view spiritual or otherwise is stupid. And you would rather go on and on about something trivial like this for what reason?

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 05:50:46 PM »

This is pointless, the issue is not Dependant on Dawkins or other atheists being aggressive, militant, or  peace loving hipsters. it's that government funding for any extreme world-view spiritual or otherwise is stupid. And you would rather go on and on about something trivial like this for what reason?

Why is atheism an extreme world-view?
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »
Its not an extreme world view in itself, but compared to the lifestyles of religious people and agnostic or neutrals, it is, especially when the government that everyone pays taxes into gets involved.

Online Adami

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »
Its not an extreme world view in itself, but compared to the lifestyles of religious people and agnostic or neutrals, it is, especially when the government that everyone pays taxes into gets involved.

It might help future debate if you avoided such hyperbole, since it seems a good amount of time was just spent discussing it.

But, how is atheism an extreme world view compared to the lifestyles of religious people, agnostics or neutrals? Unless all of those are extreme world views, in which case; in relation to one another, none of them would be extreme.
fanticide.bandcamp.com