Author Topic: Top 50 Albums, v. ariich  (Read 61576 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Top 50 Albums, v. ariich
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
In the words of sonatafanica, SWOOOOOOSH!

35. Devin Townsend – Addicted! [2009]
I cannot think of another metal album that is simply as fun as this one. Sure it’s not perfect, but it’s such an incredibly enjoyable and at times entertaining listen. I think the Devin Townsend Project idea in general has been really fantastic, and he’s been streamlining his ideas to make some very coherent albums. But to me this is the one so far which really stands out (although obviously I have yet to hear Ghost) - his sense of fun and melody and knack for the epic are what attract me to his music, and this album has all of them in abundance, crammed into three quarters of an hour. Brilliant!

34. The Cat Empire – So Many Nights [2007]
Continuing the theme of fun music, I present The Cat Empire. They seem to have a handful of fans on here, but I don’t see them discussed very often. I’ve been a fan for a few years now, and when I’m in the right mood there is simply nothing more perfect. Their music is pretty indefinable, because it is so varied in tone and style. I guess Australian-alternative-latin-jazz-pop-funk-hip-hop comes close, but even that doesn’t really do them justice. For the most part their music is fun, but then they throw in the occasional emotional song that really hits the spot as well. This particular album is easily my favourite of theirs, because everything about it is so well executed. The tunes, the groove, the performances and the production are all amazing, and while most of their albums are very good in all those regards, this one really flows really nicely as well. And as Justin said when I sent him a song in his roulette: "DAT TRUMPET!"

33. Bad Religion – Stranger Than Fiction [1994]
There have undoubtedly been more important and influential albums in the history of punk music, including by this very band who were one of the early pioneers of SoCal punk, but while their early music has a lot of youthful energy to it, in my opinion it wasn’t until the 90s when they really started to hit their stride. I’ve been listening to them for years now, after checking them out on a whim when I heard that they were a major influence on The Offspring. And this album, for me, is the epitome of good punk rock. It’s fast, energetic, and melodic, and shows the band at the peak of their song-writing abilities, crafting simple, concise rock songs with amazing hooks and a great sound overall.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »
Cat Empire's all right from what I've heard, and I'm not a big fan of punk, but its interesting to read your writeups.

Oh, but one problem: Addicted is actually flawless.  You're wrong there. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »
So Many Nights is sexy as all hell. Addicted is at least 30 spots too low though.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2011, 07:06:16 PM »

Except for that retarded ass fadeout at the end.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2011, 07:19:44 PM »

Except for that retarded ass fadeout at the end.

Gadough, one of these days I'm going to fade your retarded ass out.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »
What exactly would that involve?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2011, 08:37:58 PM »
What, you can't skip to the end after Devin sings like you skip to the end of 6DoiT? 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2011, 08:58:32 PM »
What exactly would that involve?

Butt plug.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2011, 09:22:08 AM »
Can't say I know any of these, though I have promised myself to check out Devin Townsend, so can eventually /check on Addicted.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2011, 09:52:33 AM »
I see these top 50 lists and I think to myself.  Do I actually OWN 50 albums?  Do I have the smallest album collection on the planet?  Where do these people get the money to buy all these obscure albums that no one has heard of?  I'm I the poorest person on this board or maybe just the only one paying a mortgage, car payments and private school.   :\
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2011, 09:59:18 AM »
I own most of the albums in this list on CD (my collection is over 350 at present) but a few I only own on digital download. It's not that I have loads of money, but the money I do have, I spend a fair portion of on music. :p

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »
Plus, (and I'm not fond of this) but I'd say a lot of people download the music in illegal ways.
Personally I'm all for supporting the artists/bands, but the whole downloading-thing is kinda hard to get away from.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »
I often get used CDs in basically perfect condition for really cheap prices on Amazon, and they're mostly cheaper than a legal download off, for instance, iTunes.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2011, 11:54:34 AM »
I buy CDs when I have the money to. I haven't had a job in a while, so the pirate life is the life for me.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2011, 11:56:20 AM »
I buy CDs when I have the money to. I haven't had a job in a while, so the pirate life is the life for me.

:yarr

I always wanted to use that emote and it just never seemed appropriate until now.  Thanks!

I'm not perfect either.  I downloaded Static Impulse and When Dream and Day Unite the other day.  I felt dirty.  And I jumped when the phone rang.  I was worried the FCC would call me. :omg:

EDIT:  Dang, now JLB's going to be calling me wanting his money.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »
My collection of CDs stands at the impressive volume of 2.

I'd really like to at least support independent artists when I know that they are actually getting the money, but I just became legal to work and it's not Summer yet.  Hopefully I'll get a nice job and start buying physical copies, so that I can at least say that the entirety of my music catalog wasn't completely stolen. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
Buying CDs doesn't mean shit. The artist makes next to nothing on it. Granted, the label is what gets it out there, and if they're not shifting units, they'll probably be dropped, but most groups have a dedicated fanbase that will buy no matter what, so I don't worry about it too much.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
Buying CDs doesn't mean shit. The artist makes next to nothing on it.
That's a massive exaggeration.

ANYWAY THIS THREAD IS OFF TOPIC.

Update soon..

I be am boner inducing.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2011, 03:28:17 PM »
If it comes to buying a new album or a concert ticket, but not both, I know which one the artist would rather.

Offline jsem

« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »
Well. I love Rush, but I don't have the money to buy tons of stuido albums.. so I bought a concert ticket to see them in Stockholm.

Then I saw that 6 of their albums were on sale so I got them.. meh. Still, I don't spend too much on albums. I never buy on digital download. I don't really need to DL either, Spotify/grooveshark does the trick.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2011, 03:37:51 PM »
If it comes to buying a new album or a concert ticket, but not both, I know which one the artist would rather.
Indeed, but who usually pays for the tour to go ahead? Oh that's right, the label. So when both are a possibility, neither should be stolen. :P

I don't really need to DL either, Spotify/grooveshark does the trick.
Also this!

UPDATE TIME

32. The Flower Kings – Stardust We Are [1997]
It’s been somewhat lacking in my list so far, but at last we come to some full-on prog territory! I discovered The Flower Kings through Stolt’s work with Transatlantic, and while of course I very much like the latter, the former just blow them out of the water when it comes to creativity and outright magnificence. This album contains so many excellent songs, and includes many of TFK’s very best work. The songs are epic, whimsical, funny, sad, moving and entertaining, often all at once, and the title track really is one my all-time favourite songs. If I was ranking based purely on the best songs, this album would be even higher, but unfortunately it’s just about held back from being a true masterpiece due to a handful of weaker songs scattered throughout the two discs.

31. Wolverine – Cold Light of Monday [2003]
Wolverine are an interesting band. They started out as a death metal band, but by the time they released their first studio recording, they’d evolved into a prog metal outfit with only a small trace of their roots. I discovered them through the forum back in the DT.net days, and I’ve been a fan ever since. I know some fans found this album a bit “normal” after their very dynamic full-length debut, but to me it’s undoubtedly their best. Large parts of the album are fairly straight-forward, but there is the occasional leaning into something more unusual and experimental, which works incredibly well at keeping the album accessible while trying something a bit different. The album as a whole is so well crafted, and the whole tone of the piece I find very powerful. It’s possible that I’ll be alone on this one, but I don’t care, I love it.

30. The Evpatoria Report – Golevka [2005]
For some reason, this Swiss group seem to be among the lesser-known post-rock bands out there, or at least lesser-discussed. Which I find rather unfair, as their debut album Golevka is probably the finest I have heard in the genre! As you would expect, the harmonies are glorious throughout the whole album, and of course there are the usual soundscapes and crescendos and so on and so forth. But one of the things I love about the album is that it doesn’t rely solely on slow peaks and troughs, and will mix it up and throw in a faster transition from time to time. The other thing I love is how big the sound is – the closing track in particular is one of the most epic pieces of music I have ever heard. Any post-rock fan who hasn’t heard this album should change that fact as soon as possible.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »
Don't Wolverine have a song called "My Room"? I downloaded a track one time and I think it was that band. The song was awesome.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »
Yep, that's from their debut album The Window Purpose. The album as a whole is excellent but less consistent than Cold Light. However that song is amazing, and has a really fantastic bridge section!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2011, 04:03:19 PM »
More stuff I don't know!

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2011, 04:11:52 PM »
 :tup for Stardust We Are!  I love Roine and TFK, he's my favorite part of Transatlantic too.  I love his unique vocal style, and obviously he's a hell of a guitar player as well!  I appreciate!

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
Haven't heard any of those, but I'll get round to adding them to the list!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »
More stuff I don't know!
Stuff that you should know! :P

:tup for Stardust We Are!  I love Roine and TFK, he's my favorite part of Transatlantic too.  I love his unique vocal style, and obviously he's a hell of a guitar player as well!  I appreciate!
Yeah I absolutely love his voice. It's not even particularly amazing technically, but it has such a wonderful quality and tone to it. :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »
I could never really get into Stardust We Are as a whole, but there's a few songs from it I love, Church of the Heart being the big standout.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've listened to that in like three years. *puts it on*
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »

32. The Flower Kings – Stardust We Are [1997]
It’s been somewhat lacking in my list so far, but at last we come to some full-on prog territory! I discovered The Flower Kings through Stolt’s work with Transatlantic, and while of course I very much like the latter, the former just blow them out of the water when it comes to creativity and outright magnificence. This album contains so many excellent songs, and includes many of TFK’s very best work. The songs are epic, whimsical, funny, sad, moving and entertaining, often all at once, and the title track really is one my all-time favourite songs. If I was ranking based purely on the best songs, this album would be even higher, but unfortunately it’s just about held back from being a true masterpiece due to a handful of weaker songs scattered throughout the two discs.

:tup

The Flower Kings rule. I hope there´s more coming in your top 50.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »
Sorry, but from what I've heard, I've found The Flower Kings to be really, really dull.  I do like the song about vampires with Daniel Gildenlow, though.  That's the only one I remember liking at all.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »
I could never really get into Stardust We Are as a whole, but there's a few songs from it I love, Church of the Heart being the big standout.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've listened to that in like three years. *puts it on*
Yeah I can totally understand that. For me though, it's only a handful of songs that are a bit weaker which isn't enough to combat the brilliance of the rest! Despite what Seth says. :P

UPDATE TIME YEAH! Complete prog-fest in this batch...

29. Haken – Aquarius [2010]
Now, I should qualify this one by pointing out that I may possibly be slightly biased from knowing the band personally. But that said, I really do genuinely love this album, and it rather blew me away when it first came out, because while they’d always had lots of great ideas, their demo songs had lacked a lot of coherence and on occasion went along the standard prog-metal route of cramming too much in. But on this debut album everything really came together, and the whole thing has a great feel and atmosphere to it. Admittedly it takes a little while to really get going, and the opening three songs are slightly more traditional prog, but even those do it well and have a hell of a lot to enjoy, and after that the rest of the album is pretty much flawless. I also love that they don’t take themselves too seriously and inject a bit of fun and quirkiness into the music – I mean how many prog epics have a trad jazz instrumental section in the middle?!

28. Frost* - Experiments in Mass Appeal [2008]
So, Frost* have been one of my favourite bands since I first heard Black Light Machine on a Classic Rock magazine sampler CD. Their brand of poppy and heavily electronic prog rock/metal is unique within my music collection, and brilliant to boot. When this second album came out I was tentative about whether it would match up to their debut, especially as I was aware that they had toned down the electronic influence. But my fears were unnecessary because what they had produced was another amazing album full of great songs and catchy hooks. Bringing in a second vocalist with more range was a great idea as well, and the way Jem and Dec share the vocal duties on this album is fantastic, and works tremendously live.

27. Frost* - Milliontown [2006]
However, while Experiments pretty much matches up, on balance I still prefer Milliontown by just the tiniest smidgen. It’s not necessarily that it’s really any better as such, but if I have to pick a winner then this takes it for being that little more unique. The incorporation of electronic stuff on this album is really fantastic, and used extensively through the album which makes the whole thing feel very complete and very dynamic. I was very saddened to read that Jem was putting Frost* on hold for the foreseeable future, because he makes such incredible music with them, and I know it’s entirely selfish of me, but I want more!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:07:25 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2011, 05:10:50 PM »
HAKEN
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »
HAKEN
I'VE SEEN THEM LIVE SO MANY TIMES! :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »
I'M SO JELLY
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
Yeah but in fairness, you saw TDH, Dredg and Anathema, none of whom I have seen and two of whom I really love. So I think we're at least even on that front. :P

I be am boner inducing.