Author Topic: Top 50 Albums, v. ariich  (Read 61565 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Top 50 Albums, v. ariich
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »
I really digged Colony back in the days when I used to like In Flames, now their music don't really do much for me though.
Don't know the other two albums, but excited about what's to come.  :tup

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »
Everything that I've heard out of your picks so far is great, so I'll follow to the end.  :tup Night Train ftw also.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
*\o

Second best IF album :P
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2011, 04:29:33 PM »
*\o

Second best IF album :P
Let me guess, Jester Race?

Jimmy, if you're still into metal at all then you should give Colony a listen again, it really is great!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2011, 04:50:46 PM »
Well, Colony along with Whoracle and The Jester's Race got me into In Flames, and were the only 3 albums I spinned during a whole summer.
So it's safe to say that I know Colony.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:58:03 PM by Zantera »

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »
no Clayman is the best. <3 that album

TJR is third for me
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2011, 04:57:50 PM »
Whoracle is my favorite In Flames album. Colony is pretty great, too, though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2011, 05:19:07 PM »
no Clayman is the best. <3 that album

Schweet, that's a very close second for me. I don't even know what it is between them that makes Colony stick out slightly more, can't really quantify it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »
I shall follow this.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2011, 06:57:46 PM »
As with Sigz's thread, I will do my best to listen to everything you post.  I've never been too keen on thrash metal like Metallica, but hopefully this experience will open my eyes.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2011, 07:17:11 PM »
Well Colony has Zombie Inc. so it's definitely better than Clayman.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2011, 08:42:48 PM »
Colony rules! But Jesters Race>Colony>Clayman :p (those are my top 3)

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2011, 08:56:15 PM »
Yeah Zombie, Inc. is the best IF song :P
I AM A GUY

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2011, 09:29:10 PM »
Even though Alice In Chains said Don't Follow, I am going to.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2011, 02:21:39 PM »
As with Sigz's thread, I will do my best to listen to everything you post.  I've never been too keen on thrash metal like Metallica, but hopefully this experience will open my eyes.
Yeah, I try to write a bit about why I like each album so much. But to be honest, my tastes are pretty eclectic so I very much doubt anyone will like everything on it, but it'd be great if I can introduce some great music to people! :)

UPDATE TIME

44. The Dear Hunter – Act II: The Meaning Of, & All Things Regarding Ms. Leading [2007]
I got into The Dear Hunter back when Act I first came out, and loved the nicely crafted blend of indie rock, folk, post-hardcore and even a bit of prog instantly. But when Act II came out, it was clear that they Casey had stepped up his game massively. Getting more musicians involved was definitely a plus as it has a much bigger sound to it, but the music and the story are also another level up. The songs are powerful and often emotional, but what I love most about their music is the swagger that it has, and this album is the first one to really showcase that side of them. If it weren’t for the fact that the album starts to drag a little towards the end, it would be even higher on my list!

43. Shpongle – Nothing Lasts… But Nothing is Lost [2005]
Shpongle hold a special place in my heart, because they were the first electronic group that I ever got into in a bit way, and what a big way it was! Even now they still stand out as the cream of the crop, because they’re perfectly happy using real instruments such as drums, acoustic guitar, flute and brass, along with all their usual synths and computers. This album is one fantastic piece of music, and while there aren’t many individual standout tracks as such, the album as a whole is simply brilliant and the tracks flow nicely from one to the next. Another great summer album as well, thanks to a strong influence from latin music.

42. Linkin Park – A Thousand Suns [2010]
Possibly a surprising entry, but I just love this album. LP are a solid band, and even their weakest album Minutes to Midnight had some great stuff on it, but their latest album has seen them really step a notch, and move from writing collections of songs to creating a true “album”. It flows so well, from the opening ambience and piano notes through to the final acoustic ballad, and it is mature and intelligent. They’ve brought in a number of new sounds and styles, and some of the songs have a real tribal feel that somehow works well. The lyrics too, dealing with nuclear war, are a massive step up from the more insular, personal lyrics on the earlier albums. They have hit their stride now, and I’m excited to see where they go next!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
the dear hunter - awesome album, but I bet you have other albums of their ranked higher, will keep an eye out captain

Shpongle - I've listened to them several times before and their stuff is waaaaaay out there man. cool, but it's strange to get used to

linkin park - see: metallica

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
Act II is better than Act III

Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Kosmo

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
Act II is fantastic.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2011, 02:28:08 PM »
Act I is better than Acts II and III combined

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2011, 02:37:29 PM »
Fuck yeah Dear Hunter

Fuck yeah Shpongle

Fuck no Linkin Park

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »
I'd possibly put Nothing Lasts... But Nothing Is Lost higher, but great pick nonetheless.

Also, it has some of my favourite album art ever.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »

:rollin I hadn't seen that one before.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2011, 02:58:46 PM »
Wait, I used a picture that Sigz hadn't even seen before?

I AM THE KING OF THE INTERNETS
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2011, 03:24:04 PM »
I've only heard Act III, but seeing as I love it, I will check out the other stuff by TDH as well.  :tup

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
Heh. Linkin Park.
I AM A GUY

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2011, 03:55:09 PM »
Shpongle - I've listened to them several times before and their stuff is waaaaaay out there man. cool, but it's strange to get used to
Hmm, I never found it took any time to get used to them, personally, I dug them from the very first listen. But I agree that their music is pretty unusual, and it's so obvious that they wrote it while high. :lol

:rollin I hadn't seen that one before.
:lol It's amazing. I love how long it goes on for!

And screw the LP haters, the new album is fantastic!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »
I loved Hybrid Theory and Meteora (still do), and Bleed It Out was a cool song. I may have to check out the new album.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
the dear hunter - awesome album, but I bet you have other albums of their ranked higher, will keep an eye out captain

linkin park - see: metallica

This exactly, except I have a feeling Act I might not be on the list and Act III...well I'm guessing its his number 1.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2011, 06:43:11 PM »
Kings of Convenience: Riot on an Empty Street - This was very nice, very relaxing and melodic.

Metallica: And Justice for All - Unfortunately this didn't change my mind about Metallica.  I still can't see what's so appealing about them.

Antlers: Hospice - This was interesting and musical but I didn't have much chemistry with it.  I think I'll have to listen with headphones though as opposed to computer speakers, as it seems like a very dynamic album.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2011, 06:53:30 PM »
Shpongle is AWESOME!

The Dear Hunter I'm still getting into them, but great band!

Linkin Park is decent.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2011, 02:54:55 PM »
I loved Hybrid Theory and Meteora (still do), and Bleed It Out was a cool song. I may have to check out the new album.
You really should, it's pretty different to their other stuff (and anything else I've heard, really). As I said, it's more mature, but also stylistically it's gentler; there isn't really any metal on it, there are more soft songs and more ambient stuff, particularly in the transition tracks.

Metallica: And Justice for All - Unfortunately this didn't change my mind about Metallica.  I still can't see what's so appealing about them.
Yeah, I remember in your roulette you weren't so keen on most metal music, so I wasn't sure you'd dig it, but no matter, always worth a try! There's a fair share of metal in my top 50, but even within that there's quite a lot of variety.

Glad you liked the other two anyway. Definitely listen to The Antlers on headphones, it really adds to the experience!

OH WHAT'S THAT ANOTHER UPDATE? WOW RICH YOU'RE SO PROMPT THESE DAYS!

41. Opeth – Ghost Reveries [2005]
Woah, an Opeth fan on DTF, what are the chances?! Interestingly, I wasn’t a big fan of this album for ages; I liked it, but I never found it to have the atmosphere of albums like BWP or Still Life. It wasn’t until at least a couple of years after it came out that it suddenly clicked with me, and I am so glad it did because it contains some of Opeth’s very best stuff. The Baying of the Hounds, in particular, has become my second favourite Opeth song, but really it’s all just top-notch stuff. The only song that prevents this album from being higher is The Grand Conjuration, and even that’s decent.

40. Stevie Wonder – Songs in the Key of Life [1976]
THEY CAN FEEL IT ALL OOOOOOOVER! I discovered this album a few years ago, when playing full-on jazz arrangements of a couple of his songs in my uni big band, and fell instantly in love with it. I’d heard some Stevie songs before, and liked them, but they were always on the more straightforward end of his stuff, as you’d expect I guess. But when I heard this album, I realised what a great songwriter he is – the funky stuff is really damn funky (anyone who doesn’t want to get up and dance to Sir Duke or I Wish needs to get their brain examined) and the serious stuff is pretty damn powerful. A must-have album for anyone who enjoys funk and soul music but is looking for something a little more thoughtful!

39. Dog Fashion Disco - Adultery [2006]
Another roulette discovery this one, this time courtesy of UMH. I love a bit of dark, quirky music, but it’s rare that something like that grabs me as much as this album has done. It’s just so… fun! It covers approximately one bajillion different styles over the course of the album, but despite that it feels consistent and, somehow, coherent. The riffing is enormous, and they have a real knack for writing catchy choruses. It also has a distinct ‘film noir’ vibe in a few places that gives the album a very cinematic feel. It does, admittedly, have a ridiculous album title and concept, but I don’t care, it’s not like it’ll affect me at all. Brb just going to kill a hooker.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »
Hoping for So Many Nights. Glad you're liking Adultery, since it's probably in my top 20.
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2011, 02:59:28 PM »
OPETH. GHOST REVERIES.

Nuff said.  :hat

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »
Opeth - uh well ghost reveries is probably the most uneventful of their albums but it's okay i guess

Stevie Wonder - that guy is a motherfucker. you can't listen to his music without singing along and rubbing your nipples

Dog Fashion Disco - I've only heard one song of theirs but if Harry's love for them is any indicator then they're the best band in the world

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »
Opeth and Dog Fashion Disco are excellent. Cool to see some love for Stevie Wonder, too.