Author Topic: Atheism Saved My Life  (Read 23045 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Atheism Saved My Life
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »
Pascal's Wager is just an awful, awful concept.
Speaking from personal experience, PW is one of the reasons I started questioning these things.

And there is no way that belief is a choice.
Again from personal experience, I find I often have to "correct" my thinking.  I'll catch myself not believing, and I have to step back make the decision to believe again.  It's very unnatural for me but it's gotten easier over time.

I'm pretty sure belief is about more than just telling yourself something is true until you stop questioning it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »
Speaking from personal experience, PW is one of the reasons I started questioning these things.

Again from personal experience, I find I often have to "correct" my thinking.  I'll catch myself not believing, and I have to step back make the decision to believe again.  It's very unnatural for me but it's gotten easier over time.

This post alone makes me question your faith.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
To me, PW works theoretically as just a good outline of the consequences. It's really just a mathematical way of figuring the results of a choice (to accept God's existence and try to live for Him or not).

Again from personal experience, I find I often have to "correct" my thinking.  I'll catch myself not believing, and I have to step back make the decision to believe again.  It's very unnatural for me but it's gotten easier over time.

People are probably gonna keep jumping on you for this, but this happens to me every now and then. It happens when I just sort of live out something contrary to my beliefs, and I have to get myself back on track.

Online Adami

« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »
James, it sounds like you're saying something like "Once in a while I find myself not living up to the standards of my belief system and have to put myself back on the moral track" or something along those lines.

IF that's true, it's a bit different than "Sometimes I find myself not believe in god, and then have to force myself to believe again".

The first is natural and human, the second is just impossible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2011, 08:33:39 PM »
Oh, I thought H-bar meant stuff more along the lines of specific beliefs, such as lusting or something.

Online Adami

« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2011, 08:35:19 PM »
Oh, I thought H-bar meant stuff more along the lines of specific beliefs, such as lusting or something.

Well maybe, but we were talking about belief in god when he said it, not sure why he would mention belief in specific moralities or something. But if that's what he meant, then my apologies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
Hmm, I agree with you, because I thought it would have made sense that he wasn't talking about believing in God. :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2011, 08:40:43 PM »
Hmm, I agree with you, because I thought it would have made sense that he wasn't talking about believing in God. :lol

Yeah, I was talking about simply having to remind oneself to, say, stop visually sexing every female one comes into contact with. I was talking more about the whole, "repeat 'I believe in God' to yourself until you stop having whatever doubts you thought you were" type thing.

I always have my doubts. On better days, I like to think God put them there for a reason. Lying to myself until the doubts ceased to exist would, in my opinion, be an abuse of that.

Offline j

« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2011, 08:45:20 PM »
  All of those things you listed that you consider important to being a good person probably--at least in part--come from your religious background.

-J

I see your point. But I also believe that these things are just what I've observed in every day life.
If you watch an honest, hardworking man, you'll see that he ends his day exhausted, but content with the knowledge that he's fulfilled his role as provider for his family, and as a responsible member of society. If you watch a kind, gentle person, you'll see that those surrounding him/her will be happy, and kind to others in turn.

Absolutely.  I wasn't trying to say that's the only place one could pick up those values, just that it could be likely in your case given what you said about your upbringing and what I know about Christian morals.

-J

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2011, 09:44:45 PM »
A thought about Pascal's Wager: I doubt it was meant to be made on its own. Added to the philosophical, historical and scientific arguments in favor of God's existence, the Wager carries much more weight. With that in mind, I think this comparison makes little sense.

~God is real~                 ~God isn't real~

~Believe~          yay Heaven                     blackness/nothing

~Don't Believe~    Hell                              blackness/nothng

Offline Ħ

« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2011, 01:32:20 AM »

Well maybe, but we were talking about belief in god when he said it, not sure why he would mention belief in specific moralities or something. But if that's what he meant, then my apologies.
Well I mean everything in general.  Whether it comes to believing a verse without any other reason to believe it other than its existence, or to believing who I am, or believing in God, or believing abstract things like love/peace/strength actually exist, or believing this world we live in is actually something real, or even if there is absolute truth.  Virtually everything I believe, whether spiritual or physical, I am never 100% confident, and am constantly stepping back and starting from square 1.  I think that's healthy to constantly go through the process and reaffirm what you believe when you find yourself "backsliding" as a lot of relgious people say.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2011, 05:46:22 AM »
A thought about Pascal's Wager: I doubt it was meant to be made on its own. Added to the philosophical, historical and scientific arguments in favor of God's existence, the Wager carries much more weight. With that in mind, I think this comparison makes little sense.

It's still doing a cost/benefit analysis on a spiritual position.

To say nothing of the fact that it could presumably be just as bad to believe as not to believe.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2011, 06:04:46 AM »

It's still doing a cost/benefit analysis on a spiritual position.

To say nothing of the fact that it could presumably be just as bad to believe as not to believe.

"And what if we picked the wrong religion?  Every day, we're just making God madder and madder!"
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2011, 06:32:48 AM »
I hope you never become so closed minded to any possibility and you will always keep your options open.

Because only Christians are open minded. Everyone else is close minded.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2011, 06:47:12 AM »
If I am punished for growing up in a non-religious household, and for using my reason and logic in not accepting theistic claims, then God is pretty mean.  :angry:

I just think that IF there is a God (and that's a big IF), he (why am I even using 'he' here? oh it's all so antiquated) will reward people for being decent and kind, regardless of what the believe. (as in an eskimo will be judged the same as a Christian man from Texas...on how they have acted. there will be no bias because one was 'lucky' enough to be exposed to the 'true' religion.)

At the end of the day though, believe what you need to believe in order to get through life. If you don't need to believe to be happy, never feel pressured to do so. You won't be judged harshly if your still a good person  :)

on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2011, 06:58:21 AM »
If I am punished for growing up in a non-religious household, and for using my reason and logic in not accepting theistic claims, then God is pretty mean.  :angry:
IMO, people that grow up without being shoved religion down their throats are in a better position later on to make a logical choice.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2011, 07:19:10 AM »
If I am punished for growing up in a non-religious household, and for using my reason and logic in not accepting theistic claims, then God is pretty mean.  :angry:
IMO, people that grow up without being shoved religion down their throats are in a better position later on to make a logical choice.

There's no evidence either way to that claim.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2011, 07:58:07 AM »
If I am punished for growing up in a non-religious household, and for using my reason and logic in not accepting theistic claims, then God is pretty mean.  :angry:

There's no evidence either way to that claim.

Too be fair he did say "IMO". I do disagree with what he said though.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2011, 08:36:28 AM »
Well regarding my personal beliefs, I feel bad for Christians that grew up in that thinking, because one day they are going to ask themselves "Do I just believe this because I was born into it?" rather than a person who for lack of a better word is less biased.

Online Adami

« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2011, 09:26:37 AM »
Am I misreading this? Or did a strongly claimed christian claim that growing up agnostic/atheist is better than growing up religious..........and people who aren't religious are arguing with him?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
Yeah your right I completely misread that  :rollin

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2011, 12:18:28 PM »
That is one of the reasons that Pascal's Wager is a terrible argument. It implies that either your God is dumb or disingenuous about wanting true belief. On top of all that if you want to resort to what if scenarios; what if it isn't the Christian god? What if it's Shangdi, Aphrodite
Apollo, Baal, Ba Xian, Fenrir, Hades etc etc etc etc.... Oh but wait there's MORE! What denomination of these religions should you follow; for it is a bigger list.

Pascal's wager is a fail argument.
People in favour of Pascal's wager never seem to think that you could go to heaven simply by being a good person (without the need for accepting Jesus Christ or whatever X religious denomination deems necessary to be "saved"). I'm an agnostic atheist, but if there were to be a personal God (and a heaven), who is to say that God would not welcome all good people regardless of belief?

Not to imply that I am good of course.  :lol

Offline j

« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
I just think that IF there is a God (and that's a big IF), he (why am I even using 'he' here? oh it's all so antiquated)\

Ok, let's not be ridiculous here.  If there's a God, it's OBVIOUSLY not a woman.

Well regarding my personal beliefs, I feel bad for Christians that grew up in that thinking, because one day they are going to ask themselves "Do I just believe this because I was born into it?" rather than a person who for lack of a better word is less biased.

This is a good point, and I often thought of that when I was a Christian.  If God is just, then he can't punish you through ignorance that is no fault of your own.  So wouldn't I have been better off being born into a household with no Christians, instead of being a Christian by default and having a bunch of doubts?

But if you think about it, that's a very simplistic way to look at the "nurture" side of it.  Whatever we're born into, our experiences continue to affect our thinking and our decisions for our whole lives, not just when we're children living at home with our parents.

-J

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2011, 09:04:25 PM »
I'm an agnostic atheist, but if there were to be a personal God (and a heaven), who is to say that God would not welcome all good people regardless of belief?

Because if God welcomed people of all beliefs the church would lose a lot of it's following. 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2011, 09:04:58 PM »
Ok, let's not be ridiculous here.  If there's a God, it's OBVIOUSLY not a woman.

What? Why is it ridiculous to consider the possibility that God could be a woman?

Personally, I feel that if there is a God, he (not implying gender) is a sexless being, but if he is either a man or a woman, then I think it is far more likely that he would be a woman.

Or you could take the George Carlin approach, "If there is a God, he has to be a man, after all, only a man could fuck things up this badly" :lol
space cadet, pull out.

Online Adami

« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2011, 09:06:54 PM »
I'm an agnostic atheist, but if there were to be a personal God (and a heaven), who is to say that God would not welcome all good people regardless of belief?

Because if God welcomed people of all beliefs the church would lose a lot of it's following. 

According to judaism, beliefs don't matter. Hasn't affected our tiny but strong membership. But unfortunately I think you're right.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2011, 09:21:28 PM »
Ok, let's not be ridiculous here.  If there's a God, it's OBVIOUSLY not a woman.

What? Why is it ridiculous to consider the possibility that God could be a woman?

Personally, I feel that if there is a God, he (not implying gender) is a sexless being, but if he is either a man or a woman, then I think it is far more likely that he would be a woman.

Or you could take the George Carlin approach, "If there is a God, he has to be a man, after all, only a man could fuck things up this badly" :lol

While I am kind of a chauvinist, I was just kidding. :biggrin:

But on a serious note, I think assigning a particular gender to God is just one of our anthropomorphic tendencies.

-J

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »
Ok, let's not be ridiculous here.  If there's a God, it's OBVIOUSLY not a woman.

While I am kind of a chauvinist, I was just kidding. :biggrin:

But on a serious note, I think assigning a particular gender to God is just one of our anthropomorphic tendencies.

-J

Oh ok :lol

But yea, I agree on the gender issue, but if I had to really honestly pick, I'd probably say that God is a woman.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2011, 06:08:00 AM »
That is one of the reasons that Pascal's Wager is a terrible argument. It implies that either your God is dumb or disingenuous about wanting true belief. On top of all that if you want to resort to what if scenarios; what if it isn't the Christian god? What if it's Shangdi, Aphrodite
Apollo, Baal, Ba Xian, Fenrir, Hades etc etc etc etc.... Oh but wait there's MORE! What denomination of these religions should you follow; for it is a bigger list.

Pascal's wager is a fail argument.
People in favour of Pascal's wager never seem to think that you could go to heaven simply by being a good person (without the need for accepting Jesus Christ or whatever X religious denomination deems necessary to be "saved"). I'm an agnostic atheist, but if there were to be a personal God (and a heaven), who is to say that God would not welcome all good people regardless of belief?

Not to imply that I am good of course.  :lol
That's a good observation.  Just by reading some arguments online against PW, most of them revolve around the concept of being a "good person" without religion, as if they assume that PW-supporters believe that the purpose of religion is to make someone a "good person".  Which in the case of Christianity, it is not.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2011, 06:20:21 AM »
I'd say that Pascal's Wager is a mildly convincing argument, but only of the point that believing in god is a 'safer' option. It does nothing to convince one of God's existence, and so in the end it's pretty much useless.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2011, 07:03:52 AM »
Here, Matt Dillahunty utterly destroys Pascal Wager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlIymF6Fx6c

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2011, 08:20:48 AM »
The part of Pascal's wager where he unintentionally gets it right is the fact their are Kingdom principals which one can tap into unknowingly and yet still reap the rewards.
Its like the law of gravity. Whether or not you believe in it is irrelevant because if you walk off a talk building you will plummet downward. Unbelief in this law makes zero difference.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2011, 08:26:51 AM »
The part of Pascal's wager where he unintentionally gets it right is the fact their are Kingdom principals which one can tap into unknowingly and yet still reap the rewards.
Its like the law of gravity. Whether or not you believe in it is irrelevant because if you walk off a talk building you will plummet downward. Unbelief in this law makes zero difference.

What?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2011, 08:30:13 AM »

What?
Sorry, have to get to work. Don't have time to explain my statement.
Later dudes!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2011, 03:19:12 AM »
I seriously doubt that Pascal's wager has helped convert more people to Christianity. It probably made some Christians feel good about themselves though :)