Author Topic: Atheism Saved My Life  (Read 23046 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Atheism Saved My Life
« on: May 13, 2011, 01:50:23 AM »
I know the Title of this thread might be controversial to some but to me it's a serious matter. This isn't for people to have a debate about religion it's so i can share my story so if someone is going through something similar they might not feel alone. Maybe this will help someone break through a depression. If that happens i'll be very happy!

I was raised in an evangelical Christian household. When i was in 7th grade i transferred to a christian private school and attended until i graduated. I went to church twice on sunday mornings and sunday night. Youth band practice on monday nights, service on wednesday nights and youth group stuff on friday nights. Also went on many church and youth retreats. I had christian school five times a week, religion class every day and a church service at school once a week. I had to memorize a bible verse every day for my parents and recite it at the dinner table. I know more about the bible than most christians i know. With all that said, at the age of 23 i attempted suicide...

This isn't easy for me to talk about because i don't share this with many people but I feel like i'm slowly getting to know some of you and like i said i think this might be important for someone to hear. Also maybe writing about it might be good for me as well.

What led up to the attempt was basically a lot of confusion. I never met my real father and had at that time a poor relationship with my father (The man who raised me, i don't call him a step father.) From a small child i felt abandoned and had a low self esteem stemming from these missing father issues. I never felt like i was good enough for my biological father or my father (one who raised me.) Then when i got out of high school, i wanted to live the musicians life a little bit. i was in a band. The band at one point had a record deal, we were showcasing for deals etc... I didn't go to college because of this. The band split up but while being in the industry i met a lot of cool people and realized, not everyone thought the way i did or my family did. People did drugs, had sex all the time, smoked pot, got drunk and had fun! Truthfully i never did any of that. Never even smoked a cigarette but the whole experience was eye opening.

As i got into my twenties i started contemplating my mortality a bit more. I started to slowly question everything i'd been taught my entire life. I think this is natural and instead of going back to church, which is what my parents wanted me to do, I went to barnes and nobles. That's right, BnN. Every day after work i would go and read books upon books about stuff that i thought i knew about but really didn't. I studied every major religion from Islam to Judaism, Mormonism, Buddhism, Satanism, and even Scientology. I even studied Ramtha! Then i started to read about evolution. I wasn't really taught evolution in school, basically i was taught that it was bad and false, etc. What I slowly started to realize was that almost every single thing that i had been taught about each religion and subject was a lie. I realized i had been brainwashed.

This realization threw me in an emotional tailspin because i felt like my whole life was a lie. Who was I? Was God real at all? What's the point of all of this!?!? I started seeing a christian counselor a few times a week. He tried his best but what happened was he started to bring up all this repressed stuff about my father and to put that on top of everything else i was going through, i couldn't deal with it. I became extremely depressed. Over the summer of 2003 i lost 30 pounds. I looked thin but felt terrible. Tormented every day about these questions I started praying but nothing was changing. Eventually i came to the realization (at the time.) that life was meaningless and had no point. To live another day was the same as not living another day. I had such a low self esteem i truly believed my family would be happier without me. So at the end of October i tried killing myself. I failed obviously but at the time i didn't care either way. I was put in basically a mental ward and lied my way out of it. I was not emotionally stable but i only spent 3 days in the hospital.

But something hit me. A true awakening. One of the questions i was dealing with came up again though a film I was watching at the time. That film was The Matrix Reloaded. Now i know some people don't like it all that much but that's neither here nor there. There is a scene where the merovingian talks about choice. The quote from the film is.. "Choice is an illusion between those with power and those without." Now this can apply to many things but at that moment it felt like a light bulb went on over my head. I thought..."Choice is an ILLUSION! That's it!" If God is all know and omnipresent and doesn't see time like we do then he MUST know everything that's going to happen before it happens. (There are many verses i could quote but i'm not here to get into a debate. This is just what happened to me. ) Therefore he would have to know BEFORE he creates whether or not I am going to go to hell when i do. So if he has this knowledge and still creates me then really there is no choice because God cannot be wrong. Then i thought, wait if I had the knowledge before having a kid that my kid would suffer for all eternity if i could created him, i CERTAINLY would not create him/her. That would make me evil. So it hit me. Either God is not all powerful and all knowing like the Bible says (which makes parts of the bible untrue.) or He does know everything and is more evil than any being known to man. Either way, FUCK THAT. I wanted to part of it anymore.

So i went back to Barnes and Nobles and started picking up some history books. What i started to realize was all of this stuff that i had been taught was man made. It was all bullshit. It's the biggest scam pulled in the history of the world. Then i actually read the bible AGAIN and reading it with this new knowledge was mind blowing. I started seeing all the contradictions. Page after page of contradictions and fairy tales about Giant man eating whales and angel raping. Then the more i read the more i started realizing that the most likely Jesus not ever existed. At least not the one in the Bible. At that point i gave it up. It was like a Giant boulder lifted off of me. I was no longer confused. I didn't know what i really believed in anymore but i knew what i DIDN'T believe in and for once that was enough. I liked the fact that i didn't think i knew all the answers to life questions because how could I? Nobody does! Once i did this i was free. I felt truly free to be the person i wanted to be. I got involved politically, tried to help people as much as I could and eventually met the love of my life who is my wife right now. I haven't stepped foot in a church in a decade and i'm much happier for it.

For a while my parents didn't know any of this. Well they knew about the suicide but not why or how i was feeling afterward. For a few years they kept trying to preach to me, get me to go to church. Every time i would see them they would keep on with it, the whole time i had to hide my true feelings in. Then one day i snapped. I told them how i really felt and that everything they told me was a lie and Jesus wasn't real and they were wasting their lives on pointless fairy tales. I called it "All Bullshit." I never cursed in front of my parents until that night. Man it was liberating!

Currently my parents are starting their own church, i will be a pastor's kid soon. I think it's pretty ironic but I never try to argue with them because it's pointless. Their whole life is wrapped up in that religion and even if deep down some of what i said made sense they would never admit it. It would change their entire lives. So if religion makes them happy then i say good for them. They don't need to think like i do. But for me, i can't live a lie like that. I have to try to be true to myself.

Basically what i'm saying is if this relates to you at all then be yourself. Don't worry about what your parents think because it's not worth your happiness. Study, read, learn and make your own decisions in life. Don't be afraid to give up your religion because of fear. At one point the ONLY reason i was afraid of giving it up was because of the fear of hell. I mean really? Once i realized that the very idea of it was preposterous i gave that up too. No more suicidal thoughts, no more counselors, just my wife, college, work and DTF! :metal

Don't be afraid to let go of god.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Re: Atheism Saved My Life
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:16:52 AM »
Long story, but a very interesting read. Incredibly strong of you to be able to tell all of this, and I'm happy for you that it all turned out right.

Be strong, rock on!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:22:49 AM »
I've had very similar experiences. I think lots of people have this kind of testimony of non-faith, but the stories don't circulate as much. Thanks for sharing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »
It's a trip.  Religion tries to give people hope about what comes after, yet for a lot of us, coming to grips with the idea that it's all bullshit is incredibly rewarding.  The simple realization that what comes next is just nothingness is a great liberation.  When I was trying to come to grips with religion, the prospect of dieing was scary as hell.  Now it doesn't frighten me in the slightest.  I never tried to off myself, but I certainly found a much better place to be in when I finally decided that this whole God thing was nonsense. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »
That's one of the biggest problems with denominations:  They mix so much spin and non-biblical tradition into what is taught that even though they may be using the Bible as their chief text, they teach a version of it is that so completely foreign to true Christianity that anyone who really questions too deeply is bound to rightly pick up all the inconsistencies and half-truths.  Sad that many who do so aren't able to get past the lenses they have viewed Christianity through and just get down to the truth, and instead just end up rejecting the very idea that God might be real.  Sadly, it was VERY obvious to me how this would end up by the end of the second paragraph.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »
Yeah, it was obvious to me, too. That's not to belittle the OP in any respect...but it just happens too often. And it is because of man's doing. It seemed like it was more of "Accept it because you must" instead of being loving.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »
I went through a similar experience and ended up spending a number of years in the occult as a result.  since then I have learned what bosk and jamesman alluded to:  that there is a world of difference between God and religion.
sorry you went thru such a hard time TJ

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:17:08 AM »
What's the difference between believing in a god and religion?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »
there is a world of difference between God and religion.

Thank you.  I was stuggilng mightily with how to word that distinction, and I'm not sure I did so very well.  That's exactly what I was trying to say.

What's the difference between believing in a god and religion?

Having a relationship with a being and knowing what he said is one thing.  Following a set of customs and rituals with a skewed understanding or no understanding at all of why is different.  The latter becomes especially problematic when the rituals and customs become diluted and/or changed with little understanding of how you are supposed to do them or why.

I'll make the following analogy, even though it isn't perfect:  My mom lives in another state.  Despite that, I can do my best to have a relationship with her, which includes talking with her, sharing my thoughts and listening to hers.  OR, I can just go through the motions of knowing she is out there, making the occasional brief phone call where I talk at her and don't get into anything deep and don't listen, maybe send the occasional Mother's Day card and holiday gift, not caring whether it is something she wants or even likes, and just kind of go through a set of motions that ultimately don't mean much.  See the difference?  Yesh might explain it differently, but that's the best I can do at the moment.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »
Or put a different way, believing in God is a personal choice.  Religion is a group of assholes telling you how and what you should believe. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »
Well, yes, there's definitely that aspect to it.  But I was also more trying to emphasize the relationship aspect of it moreso than just the choice aspect of it.  A relationship is an intimate involvement with a real being, whereas religion is going through a set of motions, whether they are your own creation or someone else's.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 10:40:12 AM »
I'm in a weird place as a Christian. I'd say that I sort of have a relationship with the Bible, and a slightly more abstract one with Jesus, but I still feel like a better relationship is something that I'm waiting for.

At anyrate, I didn't have any of that when I was a practicing Catholic. So I guess regardless I'm in a better place now even without a "church".

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 10:59:52 AM »
Well, yes, there's definitely that aspect to it.  But I was also more trying to emphasize the relationship aspect of it moreso than just the choice aspect of it.  A relationship is an intimate involvement with a real being, whereas religion is going through a set of motions, whether they are your own creation or someone else's.

exactly this.

Jesus in John 10 talked about being the door of the sheep.  he talked about the religious people being the wolves who steal, kill and destroy.  Jesus said "I have come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 11:56:39 AM »
I don't see why the two need be exclusive.  Why does religion prevent you from having a relationship with God?  I can see it influencing it, but not prohibiting it.  I'd call it more of an intermediary than a road block.   
E.F. Benson

Offline j

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 01:15:44 PM »
Trying to come up with a distinction between "relationship with God" and "religion" makes no sense.  Does your belief in--or relationship with--God affect your behavior?  Do you act a certain way or do certain things because you believe God said to do them through the Bible or whatever?  If so, you are "religious".  Some Christians try to disassociate from it because of what the term conjures up mentally (old men in funny hats trying to control the masses), but religion is just a set of practices that stem from faith.

If your actions don't change as a result, a so-called "relationship with God" is just a pointless mental exercise.

Religion is a group of assholes telling you how and what you should believe. 

But no matter what, some "asshole" is telling you what to believe.  Maybe it's not the Pope or Joel Osteen, but implicitly your beliefs are shaped in large part by your experiences and what you hear from others.  I don't understand why so many people think it's necessary to deny this.

That's one of the biggest problems with denominations:  They mix so much spin and non-biblical tradition into what is taught that even though they may be using the Bible as their chief text, they teach a version of it is that so completely foreign to true Christianity that anyone who really questions too deeply is bound to rightly pick up all the inconsistencies and half-truths.

I also find this kind of language amusing, as if a certain few people (i.e. those who agree with the person saying it) are simply free of bias and external influence in their interpretation of Christianity, and their take is somehow different from a "denomination".  Lots of honest, well-meaning people from all backgrounds see inconsistencies in the Christian scriptures, and this is a lazy (and IMO dishonest) way of just explaining it away.

-J

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 01:55:29 PM »
Good read, and am glad you found happiness.

Its all life really is about, being happy and continuing to feed the wheel with love, peace and happiness. We all different ways of showing that, which are the different cultures among us in the world. Sadly there are those lost souls.

As I said before, much respect for that insightful life story. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »
Good read, and am glad you found happiness.

Its all life really is about, being happy and continuing to feed the wheel with love, peace and happiness. We all different ways of showing that, which are the different cultures among us in the world. Sadly there are those lost souls.

As I said before, much respect for that insightful life story. 

Thank you very much. I agree with your statement. That's why I'm helping my parents with their church endeavors.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »
your problem is not religion but with the people who trained you in it and one day you discovered it was all a lie. But the truth you have found is also a lie and I fear you might run into the same problem in the future. Your hypothesis about God being evil due to predestination is incorrect. Evangelicals usually throw away philosophy over Theology and the effect is basically throwing reason out the door. What you are looking for is reason and there are plenty of books about Christianity that are excellent in this field. Predestination is a problem most people have with God and it is also a topic most people do not understand. Many people use it as a crux to prove God is evil and that religion is false. This not what predestination is. Predestination is that some people are destined to heaven because these people will respond to God with a yes infallibly and God knows this infallibly. This does not mean that some are predestined to hell. In fact you can't even assert that with reason especially since the same book that states predestination also states that God calls all human beings to salvation. The problem is not with God but with our own free will and thanks to Nominalism and current philosophical errors, human beings are leaning more towards what the Matrix Reloaded states, free will is an illusion. Nope. Free will exists and if it doesn't then we are not human beings and a human being is defined by its capacity to make a free choice.

All human beings are called to salvation, to God, but it is our free choice that determines when and where we are going to go. So how does this answer if God knows I am going to Hell then why was I created? See it as this. You are in a car going over a bridge. The bridge is out and if you continue you will go into the ravine and die. All of this time God is telling you, turn around. you have plenty of time to turn around but you have to make that free choice. If God forces you, then you cease to be human. God might know if you will never listen but this doesn't mean his hand still isn't there and that he didn't try. The real question we should be asking ourselves is why do we continue to drive into the ravine?
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »
Sorry I don't believe in predestiation of any sort and I've read the bible inside and out. I know what it says. I believe humans have free will I just believe that the bible is a man made collection document full of classic fables, some good some bad. I don't believe it's historically or scientifically accurate and I now find many of the things in it quite offensive. It's not just christianity I feel this way about either but that's the particular religion I came out of.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 02:55:57 PM »
Sorry I don't believe in predestiation of any sort and I've read the bible inside and out. I know what it says. I believe humans have free will I just believe that the bible is a man made collection document full of classic fables, some good some bad. I don't believe it's historically or scientifically accurate and I now find many of the things in it quite offensive. It's not just christianity I feel this way about either but that's the particular religion I came out of.

giving that you are an atheist I wouldn't expect you to believe in it anything from the Bible. My point was to correct your mistakes and errors about the definition. I also have read the Bible and I also know what it says. What I wrote above is the "correct" teaching of the word and the concept behind it. Whether you believe in it or not is again a part of your free choice.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
tj, thanks heaps for sharing a part of your faith/unfaith journey, I'm really glad that you are at peace and happy with life and I wish you nothing but the best.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:17:30 AM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »
Would you provide some examples? What issues do you find offensive, and which events seem unbelievable?

My story is similar to yours, though no suicide attempt, and I ended up a more committed Christian as a result of further study. You can read it if you like.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »
                     ~God is real~                 ~God isn't real~

~Believe~          yay Heaven                     blackness/nothing

~Don't Believe~    Hell                              blackness/nothng

So at the very best, you're going to wind up just as well as the folks that didn't let go of God.  And at the worst, you're going to Hell.  That's why Atheism is silly.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »
                     ~God is real~                 ~God isn't real~

~Believe~          yay Heaven                     blackness/nothing

~Don't Believe~    Hell                              blackness/nothng

So at the very best, you're going to wind up just as well as the folks that didn't let go of God.  And at the worst, you're going to Hell.  That's why Atheism is silly.

Not quite.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 07:25:46 PM »
After searching the internet I found a better chart:

God exists (G)                        God does not exist (~G)
Belief                                     +∞ (heaven)                         +1 (moral benefits)
Disbelief                                 −∞ (hell)                             -1  (immoral consequences)
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 07:31:15 PM »
I don't get how there are moral benefits or consequences to believing or disbelieving in god if he does/doesn't exist. There are a lot of really good and bad religious people just like there are a lot of good and bad non believers. Maybe it's because I'm an atheist, but I don't see how religion has anything to do with morality other than most religions encourage it.

Edit: We're kind of getting off topic.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »
I don't get how there are moral benefits or consequences to believing or disbelieving in god if he does/doesn't exist. There are a lot of really good and bad religious people just like there are a lot of good and bad non believers. Maybe it's because I'm an atheist, but I don't see how religion has anything to do with morality other than most religions encourage it.

Edit: We're kind of getting off topic.
Obviously the chart is more complicated than that, but in any event, the best Atheism can hope for is a finite benefit at the end of the game, no matter how you arrange things.

Online Adami

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 07:34:48 PM »
After searching the internet I found a better chart:

The Great Jelly Bean exists (G)                The Great Jelly Bean does not exist (~G)
Belief                                     +∞ supply of jelly beans                         +1 Jelly beans bought at store price.
Disbelief                                 +∞ supply of chocolate easter bunnies      -1  Jelly beans bought at store price.

I fixed it up, hopefully you will notice the flaw.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
 :lol
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »
I pick my spiritual position the same way I pick my political party.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 07:36:30 PM »
In any event, poster formerly known as BrotherH, what you're posting is Pascal's Wager, which has been debunked many times over.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
The only real flaw to Pascal's Wager is that it looks at only one belief system.  The true chart would go on for a long time and look like this:

1 is true      2 is true     3 is true   .......  N is true      1 through N are false

Belief in 1        +∞             -∞             -∞                  -∞                     -X

Belief in 2        -∞              +∞            -∞                  -∞                     -X

Belief in 3        -∞              -∞            +∞                  -∞                     -X

Belief in N        -∞              -∞            -∞                  +∞                     -X

No Belief         -∞               -∞            -∞                  -∞                     +X

Where 1,2,3,...,N are belief systems such as Christianity as Islam, and X is just some finite quantity.

In any event, Atheism has, at best, a limited output.  An output which will realistically diminish in significance as time goes on.  Atheism is an absolutely absurd belief system.

Online Adami

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 07:52:14 PM »
Eh, fine I'll show you where you're off.

The Great Jelly Bean exists (G)                      The Great Jelly Bean does not exist (~G)
Belief                                     +∞ supply of jelly beans                               +1 Jelly beans bought at store price.
Disbelief                                 +∞ All christians burn in hell for all eternity      -1  Jelly beans bought at store price.

By that rule, belief in christianity is pretty risky. And at that point it becomes so convoluted that every possible belief can be as risky of a thing to believe as anything else.

Plus the whole "well this outcome sounds nicer" doesn't matter. Reality is reality. If the reality is that there is nothing after death, believing in something nice doesn't fix it.

Also, even though I'm not an atheist, I don't think it's fair to say it's an absurd belief system, considering how much trouble anyone else would get in for saying that Christianity is an absurd belief system.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »
The only real flaw to Pascal's Wager is that it looks at only one belief system.  The true chart would go on for a long time and look like this:

1 is true      2 is true     3 is true   .......  N is true      1 through N are false

Belief in 1        +∞             -∞             -∞                  -∞                     -X

Belief in 2        -∞              +∞            -∞                  -∞                     -X

Belief in 3        -∞              -∞            +∞                  -∞                     -X

Belief in N        -∞              -∞            -∞                  +∞                     -X

No Belief         -∞               -∞            -∞                  -∞                     +X

Where 1,2,3,...,N are belief systems such as Christianity as Islam, and X is just some finite quantity.

In any event, Atheism has, at best, a limited output.  An output which will realistically diminish in significance as time goes on.  Atheism is an absolutely absurd belief system.

Not really. Maybe there's a god that doesn't care if you believe or not.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »
By that rule, belief in christianity is pretty risky. And at that point it becomes so convoluted that every possible belief can be as risky of a thing to believe as anything else.
Yes I agree.  But this thread is about Atheism, which is ultimately the riskiest belief of all.  Even riskier than the Great Jelly Bean example you threw out.

Plus the whole "well this outcome sounds nicer" doesn't matter. Reality is reality. If the reality is that there is nothing after death, believing in something nice doesn't fix it.
Yes I agree.  Doesn't change the math, though.