Author Topic: The Modern School System  (Read 5620 times)

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
Re: The Modern School System
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 11:25:18 AM »
I was never saying "Community colleges give you equivalent to a 4 year degree."

People go there to get their associates and then most of them transfer to university and do the remaining 2 years there for their bachelor's but some people get this ridiculous notion that if you go to a CC for those first 2 years you're wasting your money and getting a bad education. Make sense?

edit:
[slight-OT]I was talking with someone not too long ago that was upset that her boss was refusing to give her a raise that he normally promised to people that obtained their bachelor's degree. I didn't really have the heart to tell her that it's because University Of Phoenix is a bullshit school.

My CC changed to a state college and I will be getting my B.S. in math education. I don't think I am getting a bad education.

wait, what?

mine just did, too. seeing as we both live in the same state, is it possible we attend the same school? I mean, that kind of thing doesn't happen too often.

edit - maybe not, my college doesn't offer that degree. still, that was a crazy coincidence.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »
Mine did 3 years ago.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 11:32:47 AM »
yeah, that would have been cool though.

can i make a suggestion? you seem to be really good at math, so why don't you just become an accountant instead of a teacher? you'll make like three times as much money.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
This is gonna sound totally dumb, but I don't know what accountants do exactly.

Do I need a new degree for it?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 11:37:33 AM »
Because most of accounting is stupid shit and the math isn't difficult at all.

< Accounting major.  :mehlin

I'm only in my second year of accounting, but honestly, I don't think the math part of it is very advanced. It's more just following rules and learning a whole system of lingo that you need to apply to a bunch of shit. In fact, for my accounting degree I think I need to take like 3 math classes, and they are easy things like statistics, pre-calc, etc.

EDIT - Speaking of which, are there any accountants here? I got a couple questions about the career.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »
They do the numbers.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 11:48:23 AM »
What numbers?

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 11:49:44 AM »
O man, accounting is boring. Had an accounting course in my first year and that was when I decided that business whas not for me. I am so happy I went with economics instead of business. Less job opportunities and less money but a lot more fun/interesting.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 11:49:54 AM »
What numbers?
The ones that they do.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »
Basically, you just record the company's finances that you are working for. You need to where to put each number, what they mean, and that kind of thing. It sounds easy, but it's actually pretty difficult.

But it's a lot more than math. The CPA test is supposed to be really hard and the classes can get pretty intense I guess... lots of "Accounting theory" to learn, not much of it has to do with actual math itself. Again, I'm only on my second year of accounting, so maybe the math gets a lot harder as you go on, but I really can't see it requiring anything more than pre-calc.

Check this link https://www.mymajors.com/accounting-major

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »
Ok, that's what I wanted to know...if it was beyond just knowing your math. Thanks Zed.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 12:05:51 PM »
To people saying that a 4-year university actually gives more education than a CC--even if it is true (which it might be for some majors) I don't think it's 50 times greater, which is what the price implies.
Asuming you can get a 4 year degree in a certain subject at a CC, I agree that the 5x as expensive university doesn't give you 5x better of an education. But there are many majors that you simply can't get at a CC. Though it's probably worthwhile to go to the CC your freshman year and get the basics out of the way no matter what your major.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »
If I were better at math I would have done econometrics. But the math in normal economics is hard enough as it is at times.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 12:19:51 PM »
Gee, thanks...

Come on man.  Just a play on on words.  I'm just horsing around.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »

It's like being a mortician, but more math and less personality.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2011, 12:30:38 PM »
Gee, thanks...

Oh, I didn't realize that, now I see it. :lol

Edit: @Bosk: :rollin

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »

It's like being a mortician, but more math and less personality.
:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
Gee, thanks...

Oh, I didn't realize that, now I see it. :lol

Edit: @Bosk: :rollin

:facepalm:  Comedy fail on me.  BS=Bachelor of Science

I tried to come with something cleaver for my MS in Information Systems but all I could come up with was multiple sclerosis.   :|
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2011, 02:00:38 PM »
I don't really like accounting; too many words and not enough numbers. That's why I'm studying to be an actuary. Theres tons of math in that, and there's good money too. An actuary's starting salary can be $60,000 a year.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2011, 02:01:33 PM »
What does an actuary do? (I know I could google it but I'd rather hear someone explain it)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
The motto they have is that it's turning risk into opportunity. Basically you use financial mathematics and statistics to determine the most profitable moves to make for the future. One of the most common jobs is to work for insurance companies where one would work to determine the prices of the insurance based on the calculations of risk and the financial costs.

I can't explain that well as I'm only just getting started, but I think that's good for the basic idea.