Poll

Which do you enjoy more, and why?

The Count Of Tuscany
98 (76.6%)
In The Presence Of Enemies
30 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: TCOT vs ITPOE  (Read 12880 times)

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
Re: TCOT vs ITPOE
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 04:35:05 AM »
TCOT! In my top 5. No contest.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 05:26:36 AM »
The Count of Tuscany. No match.

this.
even as one song...ITPOE is pretty far down their epic list.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 06:29:02 AM »
Ya know, I'm JUST starting to warm up to TCOT.  The lyrics are really bad.  I understand they're very tongue-in-cheek, but it brings the song down.  With that said, The Reckoning drags ITPOE down even more.  I hate the fact that I usually only listen to ITPOE up to that point.  For me, TCOT just barely squeaks by.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 06:38:57 AM »
A really tough call. I went with In the Presence of Enemies because I was more obsessed with it after the release of Systematic Chaos than I was with The Count of Tuscany after the release of Black Clouds and Silver Linings. I love both of them really much though.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 06:56:09 AM »
ITPOE is an intense song, I love it all the way through, the only con I can think of is MP's backing vocals. I don't mind the imaginary lyrics because they're sort of well executed in my eyes. In TCOT, however, I don't appreciate a few moments in the first half of the song, I don't like the lyrics much, and again, MP's backing vocals, though I feel it's worse in TCOT.

Both songs are great, one of them might be in my top 10, not sure. Though I personally like ITPOE more.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 07:03:53 AM »
The Count, by miles! I don't like ITPOE 2 much, too much pointless wankery. If it was as good as part 1, this would be tougher.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 07:25:11 AM »
The Count of Tuscany Wins. As a whole I don't like ITPOE. But I love part 1 and i love the very beginning and end of part 2. If it came down to individual tracks it'd look like:
ITPOE pt.1
TCOT
ITPOE pt. 2

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 07:56:35 AM »
I love how some people say TCOT somehow has "bad" lyrics, but even though the album has been out almost two years now, I still have yet to see even a single explanation of what that supposedly means.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 08:01:21 AM »
I guess they mean it's a hokey story or something or other.

I personally LOVE the lyrics...the story.....everything...I find it really cool.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline IronEarthTheater

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 08:03:54 AM »
TCOT is a top 3 song for me, so this is easy.  BUT... I love ITPOE as well.  The lyrics don't bother me in either case, because I actually think they fit the songs very well.  I agree that the Reckoning isn't quite the highlight for me, but it represents more of a "missed opportunity" than anything that brings the song down.  Honestly, the only thing I don't care for is that they broke it into two pieces - I would prefer it be one... it's a bit annoying skipping through the rest of the tracks on the CD to finish the song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 08:05:34 AM »
I personally LOVE the lyrics...the story.....everything...I find it really cool.

Yeah, same here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 08:16:38 AM »
I love how some people say TCOT somehow has "bad" lyrics, but even though the album has been out almost two years now, I still have yet to see even a single explanation of what that supposedly means.

Probably because they're a bit silly, literal and not stuffed with metaphors or whatever. Personally I think they fit what the song is about pretty well, the meaning of the song is pretty light/comical in nature and the lyrics show us that.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 08:18:33 AM »
Despite how painful The Reckoning is, ITPOE has the killer opening, amazing unison at the end of Pt 1, fantastic vocals in Heretic, pounding metal in the Slaughter and an excellent finish with Salvation.  Slaughter of the Damned live was the best 3 minutes of 2007.

ITPOE by a small margin.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 08:18:38 AM »

Yeah, same here.
+1 to TCOT lyrics appreciation movement

Offline Ħ

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 08:19:40 AM »
Seems like a lot of people dislike ITPOE because of Part 2.  This confuzzles me because it is insanely awesome and DT has never done anything like it.  Aside from The Reckoning, everything is 10/10.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2011, 08:24:45 AM »

Probably because they're a bit silly, literal and not stuffed with metaphors or whatever. Personally I think they fit what the song is about pretty well, the meaning of the song is pretty light/comical in nature and the lyrics show us that.

I don't find them "silly."  But as far as "literal" and "not stuffed with metaphors," neither of those qualities = "bad."  I agree with you that they fit the song very well.  

Part 2...DT has never done anything like it.  

???  How so?  I'm not bagging on the song by any means, but I don't hear anything that jumps out at me as atypical for DT.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:40:49 AM by bösk1 »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »
Hard to put my finger on it.....it's just......brutal.  The chanting crowd, along with the driving riffage, the sudden burst into a wicked chorus....the closest thing I could compare it to is the "run, fast" section of TGP, but even that sounds slightly less chunky than ITPOE. 

I mean it's not completely unDT; it's just very unique is all.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »

I don't find them "silly."  But as far as "leteral" and "not stuffed with metaphors," neither of those qualities = "bad."  I agree with you that they fit the song very well. 

I agree, I don't think that makes the lyrics bad either, I'd much rather the lyrics be literal and make sense and convey the message of the song then see them use metaphor on top of metaphor and either lose the message or just end up with it making no sense whatsoever.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »
I like them both about equally. Part One is great and Part Two, for all its flaws, is still the most interesting thing on the album musically. Dark Master just kills me though.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »
Dark Master just kills me though.
That's what dark masters do. :-)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »
Easily the Count for me. I just love (especially live) the long middle section which to many sounds like a filler phase, and which nonetheless ranks in my personal top three moments off BCSL. I also never had any issues with the lyrics, since I know very well how most people from Tuscany relate with strangers, and I always crack when I try to figure out the way all the mishap developed  :rollin

As for ITPOE, I just fail to digest the "These are some fuckin' metal lyrics" section, while the rest of the song is quite great. But to say it all, it is my least favourite epic...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline mariocalin

• spanish fan
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2011, 02:22:41 PM »
Both are a little piece of Progressive art, but I prefer TCOT. But anyway I would play both in a cooncert  :metal
The story ends where it began

https://myspace.com/mariobandmurcia

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2011, 04:31:48 PM »
The Count. It's way more original, it flows better and is musically superior.

I remember when BC&SL came out and around the 9 or 10 minute mark in the song I was like 'Oh, here comes the crazy forced instrumental section again' and then they pulled a fast one by breaking it down and making it mellow, then went into the epic closing.......I was speechless.  :hefdaddy

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2011, 04:37:53 PM »
Ya know, I'm JUST starting to warm up to TCOT.  The lyrics are really bad.  I understand they're very tongue-in-cheek, but it brings the song down.  With that said, The Reckoning drags ITPOE down even more.  I hate the fact that I usually only listen to ITPOE up to that point.  For me, TCOT just barely squeaks by.
This.
Except I choose ITPOE becasue 'Heretic' makes up for it all...

May be blasphemey but I hate TCOT.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2011, 09:04:40 PM »
What's up with all the hate for Reckoning? I find it quite fun, tbh. It's not as draggy as ANTR's or BTL's second half.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »

Ok, here's my take.

Overall, the lyrics feel like they were guest-written by a sixth grader. They lack the subtlety, sophistication and wit that are trademark DT. It's then a combination of the deadpan delivery, Portnoy's voice accenting certain phrases which then come out as funny instead of intense, and a few cringe-worthy lines.  The really bad lines to me are:

Let me introduce
My brother
A bearded gentleman
Historian
Sucking on his pipe
Distinguished accent
Making me uptight
No accident

Now wait a minute man
That's not how it is
You must be confused
That isn't who I am

The thing that bothers me the most, I suppose, is how frightened the character is for apparently no reason. Sure, I get that there's a story behind it, but that story isn't adequately explained in the lyrics, so his "fear of death" comes out of nowhere and seems over the top. I've said before, it's too bad they already had a song called "Panic Attack" because that would be a perfect name for this one.

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2011, 09:28:22 PM »
Most definitely TCOT. I really like both, but I think that TCOT is musically on par with Dream Theater's finest work. It's definitely one of my favorite epics, and while I know the lyrics aren't great, I don't really mind it.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »
What's up with all the hate for Reckoning? I find it quite fun, tbh. It's not as draggy as ANTR's or BTL's second half.

Way too wonkery, even for DT.

Offline climberboy

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2011, 01:50:00 AM »
TCoT, The harmonics in the intro, The volume Swells, the acoustic bit, and the outro makes it the winner. The outro is among the best thing they've ever done, makes you feel accomplished and triumphant.

This, i'm glad im not the only one who feels the same about the outro........magical  :o

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2011, 06:17:23 AM »
I'm gonna speak for myself here, because I'm one of those people who say it has "bad lyrics"; I have my own opinion about the lyrics of every single (non instrumental) song, yet I never expressed it online. Each person is entitled to his own opinion, whether or not someone else tried to explain it, or the opposite opinion, online.

Offline farsight

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2011, 06:59:55 AM »
I think if there's one song that ought to be forgiven for its bad lyrics, its TCOT.
honestly, the lyrics could be "Tomorrow is Saturday, and Sunday comes afterwards" and it would still be one damn great melody.
and I dare say TCOT is the best DT song post SFAM (in terms of musicality).

Offline krands85

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2011, 02:40:52 PM »
Both are among my favourite tracks and both are easily the best 2 songs from the last couple of albums for me.

I think I have to favour ItPoE though. For a while after Black Clouds came out, I would have voted for TCOT, but I think overall, it's not quite as good.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww