Author Topic: Awake = #1 album?  (Read 27203 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Awake = #1 album?
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »
It ranks 4th for me so I'm no Awake fanboy or fan of the elitism it inspires, but I honestly cannot fathom where H is coming from in some of his arguments.

Musically mature = cohesive, focused song structures, no out-of-place soloing, serious lyrical subjects

I mean, that should be pretty obvious shouldn't it?

This coming from someone who usually LOVES the wild soloing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2011, 10:26:25 AM »
Ugh this thread should have ended after the first reply. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »
I hear you.   I guess I just don't get.  Everyone is hearing the same song, and assuming everyone's ears are working properly, I don't see how we come to such different conclusions unless there is some type of phycological trickery involved, such as the mental "I-like-Awake-because-it's-different" thing that has arisen for whatever reason.
THIS POST.
OH GOD THIS POST.
 :facepalm: :facepalm:
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »
Ugh this thread should have ended after the first reply. :P
scratchin your own back i see
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2011, 01:25:48 PM »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
:lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2011, 02:25:54 PM »
Well, I agree with just about everything Orcus has said in this thread.

As for me, I would definitely say it's their best album. It's technical and heavy, but filled with soul. Scarred is still a song that gets at me because I can empathize with it. DT's lyrics today are very bland and uninteresting, but the lyrics on Awake actually sounded like they took thought to craft. Scarred and Space-Dye Vest are still my 2 favorite DT tracks, though I rarely listen to DT anymore.

Sadly, Awake was their last album worth noting. Everything after it, or at least after SFAM, anyway, is just watered-down prog metal that isn't very interesting at all, despite the occasional catchy riff or melody.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2011, 04:09:25 PM »
I hear you.   I guess I just don't get.  Everyone is hearing the same song, and assuming everyone's ears are working properly, I don't see how we come to such different conclusions unless there is some type of phycological trickery involved, such as the mental "I-like-Awake-because-it's-different" thing that has arisen for whatever reason.

Are you kidding me?

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2011, 04:11:27 PM »
I hear you.   I guess I just don't get.  Everyone is hearing the same song, and assuming everyone's ears are working properly, I don't see how we come to such different conclusions unless there is some type of phycological trickery involved, such as the mental "I-like-Awake-because-it's-different" thing that has arisen for whatever reason.

OH MY GOD :lol :lol :lol
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »
Ok, wait, I didn't even see this post.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »
Awake is definitely the Dream Theater fan's Dream Theater record. I can understand it not being some people's number 1 album, or in the top 3, but any fan who doesn't at least have it (and Images and Words) in their top 5 is nuts.

I think a more accurate statement is:  Any fan who thinks their way of viewing a particular song or album is the only correct way and everyone who thinks differently is "nuts" is a presumptuous dick.

Bosk, I dont know if you meant to attack PC or anything, but that was a bit uncalled for.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »
Anyone who thinks dicks are gay is a sinner.

They're only gay if they're kissing or hanging out with each other.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2011, 11:31:39 PM »
Anyone who thinks dicks are gay is a sinner.
They're only gay if they're kissing or hanging out with each other.
You're such a presumptuous bigot!

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2011, 02:34:52 PM »
I will say that I like Awake as a whole and don't skip any songs. It IS a great record.

This.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
I do like it, but I place it in the category that I probably prefer a lot of the stuff that cam after this.

A lot of DT fans I have met in Australia over the years rate this as their number one.  :smiley:

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2011, 01:44:08 AM »
I hear you.   I guess I just don't get.  Everyone is hearing the same song, and assuming everyone's ears are working properly, I don't see how we come to such different conclusions unless there is some type of phycological trickery involved, such as the mental "I-like-Awake-because-it's-different" thing that has arisen for whatever reason.
THIS POST.
OH GOD THIS POST.
 :facepalm: :facepalm:

your avatar is very restless.....and quite annoying when you pay to much attention to it  :biggrin:
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline SDFprowler

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2011, 03:13:44 AM »
Yes I rank Awake as Dream Theater's best.  In fact, Awake is my favorite piece of music EVER.  SFAM is Dream Theater's second best followed by Images & Words.  All three are perfect but that's how I rank them.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2011, 11:18:44 AM »
Yes I rank Awake as Dream Theater's best.  In fact, Awake is my favorite piece of music EVER.  SFAM is Dream Theater's second best followed by Images & Words.  All three are perfect but that's how I rank them.
This
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2011, 01:54:17 AM »
I suppose I'm strange, but while I pretty much rank the other albums like everyone else, I just don't think Awake is among the top. It's a decent album, but IMO it's only better than WDADU and FII. It might be because of the sound though, I strongly dislike it. Being an engineer myself I just don't like how it sounds (still far better than WDADU though, which I just don't listen to because of the way it sounds). Musically it's growing though, so it might jump up a place or two in the near future. The only grower atm.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »
Time to give me $0.02.

Awake ranks #1 as my favorite album of all time. There are obvious reasons for this:

1.) It's the only album that I have never gotten tired of listening to. At all. I've listened to it more than I&W, SFAM and other non-Dream Theater records. It has yet to lose it's charm to me.
2.) I get chills listening to parts. I still connect with the songs. I still salivate over riffs, drum fills, vocal melodies and bass lines (keys are a "meh" factor to me on any album).

Those are completely personal opinions. While reading this thread, I decided to look into those reasons for loving Awake. But, before I go into that, I need to address a few things with these "haters":

1.) What makes a 5 minute song less bombastic than a 20 minute song?
2.) What makes a 5 minute song less progressive than a 20 minute song?
3.) It's already been addressed. How does failure to look into a song's meaning, beyond surface level, warrant an opinion of "just because it is cryptic doesn't mean it is good"?

My points are NOT aimed at any individual posters.

I have been a Dream Theater fan since 2005. My first song was Panic Attack. The first album I got was SFAM. The next album was I&W. After that, I bought them all (yes, in one shopping trip. Oh to be a teenager with income like that again). One thing became VERY clear to me with Dream Theater after listening to every album up until that point. And now, it is more drastically clear. While I love the newer stuff, it doesn't hold a candle to the old. There is literally a song like "As I Am" on every album from Train of Thought on. The album structures are the same. Again, while I enjoy the music, it feels incredibly formulaic. Black Clouds definitely follows the routine, but not as closely. A Nightmare to Remember was saved by the killer intro and "Beautiful Agony". The music of "The Count of Tuscany" was magnificent.

But what saved Black Clouds was the solo section of The Count of Tuscany. No 1,000,000,000,000 notes per second. Not that I don't mind those solos. But for God's sake, A Rite of Passage was horrendously ruined by the solos. The breakdown section was fine. But the solos were like "well shit, this is typical Dream Theater.". I don't even mean that in a negative way. Just in a "I wish they would break the mould" way. I could go back to every album post-SFAM and point out every flaw with them. I won't. I don't want to give off the impression that I don't enjoy the albums. I do. There are cringe worthy moments on them, however.

So what does this have to do with Awake?

Like the perfect solo section for The Count of Tuscany, Awake carries a feeling of everything fitting in place with the album. All Dream Theater albums sound like one coherent album. To me, however, Awake sounds the most like one work of art. Not several pieces put together, but one piece.

The metal head in me is probably drawn to Awake for its heaviness. But, it also has some of the softest Dream Theater moments, too. It also has most of the sad moments, happy moments and contemplative moments. I get why people have opinions and won't agree with me on this. But, to me, this album has it all. The guitar work on The Silent Man is more memorable than anything JP has done from SDOIT and on (yeah, I'm not a huge fan of SDOIT). JMX actually feels like he is part of the band on this album. His bass is alive and well. James' voice, while when aggressive sounds wonderful, for me, really shines on The Silent Man and Lifting Shadows.

And when I was thinking of all of this, it's when it all hit me. I can relate to everything on the album. When the lyrics point to an aggressive or angry time, the music on ALL levels reflects it. Pick any emotion any song on Awake is trying to convey. Vocally and instrumentally the emotion is conveyed. It isn't one of these "I really like the words and can relate to them!" It is "Everything about this song speaks to me right now".

Then I was thinking; "okay, so people will probably understand my point on this stuff. But, prog heads will be like "blah blah least proggy etc". I have to say, this album is progressive in nature. They were pressured by their label to make another Pull Me Under (which was a last minute song for I&W). So what did they do? They created heavy songs that were infinitely more musical than Pull Me Under.

What about the bombast-"ary" of the album? Voices. Scarred. Lifting Shadows. If you haven't listened to those songs, I get why you would miss it.

In conclusion, I will say this;

Even when Dream Theater absolutely bores me, when music bores me, Awake never does. This post is coming from a COMPLETELY biased poster. I was just trying to say why it is #1 to me. I was taking some of the negative things about it (to other posters) and explaining where I see these things as positives to me. I have no intention of debating.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2011, 10:50:23 PM »
Hell to the yeah.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »
Need the applause emote.

Outstanding.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline j

« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2011, 11:16:13 PM »
I love you Snapple.  And not just because of your delicious fruity taste.

-J

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2011, 11:36:55 PM »
snapple's post was great, but to address was rob said earlier in the thread, how is Awake not playing to their strengths?  Just because they have chosen not to really revisit that style again doesn't mean it wasn't a strength, or even their biggest strength.  And on the flip side, just because they do something on a regular basis, doesn't automatically make it their biggest strength.  It is just the thing they like doing the most or more than anything else. 

Frankly, quite a few bands' best albums are ones that aren't necessarily in the style that said band did the most.  Dream Theater is one of those bands.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2011, 12:12:29 AM »
*cue argument where the style has changed on every album*

Offline i_am_here_

« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2011, 12:29:16 AM »
Kevin Moore.....nuff said
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2011, 05:13:38 AM »
Another thing in Awake's favor is that it is the one DT album where the quality of the lyrics matches the quality of the musicianship.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2011, 05:22:57 AM »
Another thing in Awake's favor is that it is the one DT album where the quality of the lyrics matches the quality of the musicianship.

I can get behind this. I mean, they aren't all amazing, but they're definitely DT's most consistent.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2011, 08:41:50 AM »
Awake is the best album because it is

Also Kevin Moore

Kevin Moore's conspicuous only by his absence...

Songwritingwise, he essentially just did what he was told. By all reports he'd more or less signed off before they started recording. Space-Dye Vest aside, Moore was almost unquestionably the LVP.

Awake is, at its core, the sum total of three guys writing music.

You shut your mouth about Kevin Moore.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »
Voices. 'nuff said.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2011, 09:52:52 AM »
Snapple just won this thread.
This thread can be closed.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2011, 11:47:06 AM »
Not really. It was a well-written post about why he loves the album so much, which is great and all, but that doesn't mean we all have to agree with it. In fact I disagree with a fair bit of it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
Not really. It was a well-written post about why he loves the album so much, which is great and all, but that doesn't mean we all have to agree with it. In fact I disagree with a fair bit of it.

This.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »

This.

And I totally expect disagreement. The thread asked why Awake was number 1 to the fans it was number 1 too. All I did is say why.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2011, 01:16:39 PM »
Oh, I know.  I have no problem with your post.  Ariich and I were just responding to those who seem to think your post makes this an open and shut case. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."