Author Topic: Junior High Kids Doing an Impressive Cover of "As I Am"  (Read 5929 times)

Online Mladen

Re: Junior High Kids Doing an Impressive Cover of "As I Am"
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »
Nice to see kids being into Dream Theater, I can imagine they'll be incredible in a couple of years as long as they keep on working.  :tup

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 12:52:05 PM »
 :rollin :rollin oh man this thread makes me lol. full of trollolols.

as for the video, thats pretty awesome. they did pretty well for a jr high band. the singers head banging was phenomenal! hahaha

Offline Compadre

• Progressive Zydeco Enthusiast
  • "Dance with the one who brung ya"
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »
It's all good!   ;D

I have always been a lurker on Internet Message Boards & have just now started to actually try and "contribute".  Did I forget to mention that I can be a sensitive schmuck at times? 

Anyways, it's still pretty cool getting to know everyone around these parts!

Party on. 
Learning Lessons & Living Blessings

Offline PetFish

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 01:28:17 AM »
You'll find that the moderators here and at mp.com are awesome.  They really are on top of discussions and do their best to ensure there's no flamewars and abusive behaviour going on.  Most forums are created and then left to run wild Lord-of-the-Flies style, which allows a few trolls to drive most people away.  The moderators here do a great job keeping the place friendly and on-topic.

I only started posting here recently after MP left so I'm not familiar with the crowd but I'm happy to see it's run just as smoothly.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 03:51:10 AM »
You're a troll if you didn't enjoy something someone posted? Nobody in this thread trolled anyone, they just gave their opinions.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 01:16:30 AM »
^^

Ask Scrub, he seems to be the one who doesn't know the definition of troll since, apparently, this thread is "full of trollolols" but I don't see them anywhere.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 10:55:20 AM »
The singer did the best tribute to James as he had about as much stage presence and personality... none. 
:lol I find this pretty accurate

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 11:07:32 AM »
This song isn't really that hard.

Suffering from a case of e-penis?

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »
i find your avatar offensive....

it's miles away of being funny.
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »

Do you give a fuck?

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »
Yup this is getting locked now isn't it?

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2011, 03:20:26 PM »
Yup this is getting locked now isn't it?

I don't understand what is happening.

Who has a problem with who's avatar? I see nothing offensive.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »
The singer did the best tribute to James as he had about as much stage presence and personality... none. 
:lol I find this pretty accurate

Must be in the past, because when I saw James perform on the PN09 tour and the one off gig in Portland during the Maiden tour, he was the greatest front man I've ever seen, and I've seen over 200 shows. He made eye contact and connected with the audience brilliantly, even the audience in the balconies, not to mention he sang his ass off. He was also very vocal with the audience between songs and used the entire stage. I just don't get this comment about him not having any stage presence or personality.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2011, 10:28:19 PM »

Please ask me if I give a fuck.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2011, 11:47:20 PM »
Must be in the past, because when I saw James perform on the PN09 tour and the one off gig in Portland during the Maiden tour, he was the greatest front man I've ever seen, and I've seen over 200 shows. He made eye contact and connected with the audience brilliantly, even the audience in the balconies, not to mention he sang his ass off. He was also very vocal with the audience between songs and used the entire stage. I just don't get this comment about him not having any stage presence or personality.

Anyway, trying to get this somewhat back on topic...

Yes, James sings his ass off and I love him for that, but a baked potato can stand there and say "how the fuck are we doing?" between songs.  Casually walking around in a circle and generally looking disinterested is not what a good front man does.  I don't "feel" the vibe from James like I do from JP, JR, and MP, when he should be the one setting the tone.  Sure, everyone has good gigs and bad gigs, and it looks like you saw a good gig.  But being a long-time fan and having been able to see them live and on DVD, it's the thing I wish James was better at.

But maybe James held back cuz MP wanted to be the "front man" and now that MP is gone James will finally embrace that role, which would be awesome.  I've met and chatted with him numerous times, seen/read his interviews, and he seems different on stage in front of MP than he is under normal circumstances.  Just like it's exciting to see what the guys can do musically w/o MP around I can't wait to see what he does with the new album vocals and tour with MP out of the picture.

I've never been one to criticize James' voice like so many people do, it's a living instrument, and if he's even slightly under the weather or having a reaction to some food or the air it's going to be affected.  I understand that but people just love to whine when he has an off night in the vox department.

In Portland, did you stay for Maiden after DT or did you leave?  Bruce Dickenson IS A MONSTER front man.  I generally don't like "flamboyant" front men (Freddie Mercury, Gary Cherone, etc) so much but they are definitely great at what they do.  When I think of an ideal front man I'm thinking Sammy Hagar, Bruce Springsteen, Jon Bon Jovi, Bono, James Hetfield, etc.  Guys that really drive the show and keep the audience engaged and focused.

There's just so much exciting DT stuff to look forward to that we're all chomping at the bit to get our grubby little hands on.  Argh!