Author Topic: Whats the deal with Nickleback?  (Read 10590 times)

Offline ehra

Re: Whats the deal with Nickleback?
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
You best not be bashing Breaking Benjamin. Or saying they sound like Nickleback.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
They are truly the Motley Crue of the 00's.

Don't you mean Poison?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2011, 08:36:29 PM »
Whats wrong with Motley Crue?

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
The idea that it's somehow "Cool" to hate Nickelback is bullshit.  I hate them because Chad Kroeger's voice is like nails on a chalkboard and the music literally makes me want to stab my ears out with a spoon.  Nothing at all to do with being "cool".

But wait... grating vocalists... samey songs... lyrics about sex, partying and being a rockstar... they seem right up your alley! :-*
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2011, 01:13:59 AM »
I like a few songs from one album of theirs, but that's about it. If I had to listen to the rest of their discography I'd be dying of boredom. They just don't do much for me. And I can only take them in small doses. Then there are some songs that were so overplayed that whenever I hear them on the radio my natural instinct is to turn it off without thinking.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2011, 06:31:43 AM »
The idea that it's somehow "Cool" to hate Nickelback is bullshit.  I hate them because Chad Kroeger's voice is like nails on a chalkboard and the music literally makes me want to stab my ears out with a spoon.  Nothing at all to do with being "cool".

But wait... grating vocalists... samey songs... lyrics about sex, partying and being a rockstar... they seem right up your alley! :-*

:lol  Well, though I love AC/DC, I wouldn't call them one of my favorite bands.

Anyway, yes, songs about drinking, fucking, and partying ARE right up my alley.  That's why 80's hair metal will always be my favorite.  The sheer excess displayed by those kinds of bands sure beats bands of the 90's and 00's singing in drop C tuning about how miserable life is.

And in case anybody decides to give me shit, I didn't say ALL 90's and 00's bands do that, but from all the crap music I heard in those years, it was a prevalent theme.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2011, 06:34:46 AM »
Your reputation precedes you Coz. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2011, 06:37:34 AM »
Hahaha.  He was referencing our discussion in ths thread: Link

But yes, you're right.  Everybody knows what my preferences are in music, it seems.   :lol

I will be celebrating it for 11 hours or so this coming Saturday at M3.   :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2011, 06:39:28 AM »
There is nothing better then great 80's party rock with beers and friends.  Hell, I've got to get my brother to do another fire pit party with hair metal playing over the radio.  I love that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2011, 07:00:37 AM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2011, 07:13:41 AM »
Just check this out.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4258547

And though I hate Nickelback, I HAD to hear this.  I didn't read the whole article, so the link may have been in there, but if not, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9RE7GxZAwU

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2011, 07:31:17 AM »

I know you're kidding around with Coz but I want to point out one thing.  80's hair metal had some GREAT vocalists!!  Not all of them were great (RATT comes to mind).  Chad Kroeger's voice is offensive to me.  I'm a singer and a high tenor.  I like to sing with my music and 80's metal is a great vocal work out.  So I understand where Coz is coming from.  Sabastian Bach may be a reality show slut but, man, the dude's got great pipes.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2011, 08:17:40 AM »
I can't remember the last time I listened to Nickelback but I can say that the vocals from it are much less annoying and better for me to listen to than something like AC/DC... and remember plenty of people say they can't listen to Dream Theater because of James Labrie's terrible vocals, and plenty of people here would disagree with that.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2011, 09:04:04 AM »
I quite enjoyed Nickelback many years ago, around the time when the first Spider-Man movie came out and they did the title-track, that song and some of their hits were pretty enjoyable.
With that said, I don't really have a problem with the band now.
They do sound very samey in the long run, I can't say that I either like or dislike them.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2011, 12:33:26 PM »
Whats wrong with Motley Crue?

Nothing! I love Motley Crue, so long as Jon Corabi is singing for them...which is exactly on ONE album. I kid.  ;)

Point is, for many people, Motley Crue defined both the sound and look of "glam-metal" in the early 80's, though admittedly they borrowed a lot from New York Dolls. Pretty every band that came down the pike after that tried to look and sound at least similar to them. IIRC George Lynch even once said that Dokken made sure to use the same *hairspray* as the Crue. Either way, the Crue weren't as bad as later bands like Britney Fox, The Bulletboys, Warrant, or Poison, but they got lumped in with them and T-boned by the music media once grunge hit in the early 90's. They've managed to make a comeback because in retrospect, people didn't really hate the Crue - they just hated the whole carbon-copy glam-metal industry that they helped to spawn. Same thing with Nickelback IMO. They're not awful, I'm just sick of hearing them all the time - even when it's not them, but somebody who sounds just like them (which is all the time).

Caveat: I'm sure someone will argue that the Crue weren't the first "glam metal band" but for my money they were the most popular and most imitated of that era, and therefore symbolize to many what 80's hair metal was all about.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2011, 02:19:24 PM »
I quite enjoyed Nickelback many years ago, around the time when the first Spider-Man movie came out and they did the title-track, that song and some of their hits were pretty enjoyable.
With that said, I don't really have a problem with the band now.
They do sound very samey in the long run, I can't say that I either like or dislike them.

Actually Zantera, the Spiderman song, "Hero" was an all star group of players.  here's a link.  Kroeger and Josie Scott, the singer from Saliva worked on the song together

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_%28Chad_Kroeger_song%29