Author Topic: Whats the deal with Nickleback?  (Read 10588 times)

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
Re: Whats the deal with Nickleback?
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2011, 05:48:31 AM »
Some people realize they are a pop band just like Britney Spears except they are "rock". They probably don't even write or even play their own tunes in the studio. People who are musicians recognize this in songs quickly and get turned off by that whole manufactured and made for the radio crap.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2011, 05:49:51 AM »
Some people realize they are a pop band just like Britney Spears except they are "rock". They probably don't even write or even play their own tunes in the studio. People who are musicians recognize this in songs quickly and get turned off by that whole manufactured and made for the radio crap.
:|

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2011, 06:51:59 AM »
:|
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »
So because some of their songs sound similar people dislike them? Do people dislike Santana because Evil Ways totally rips off Love Potion No. 9?
I bet I love Evil Ways more than you do.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 08:06:18 AM »
Some bands just get hated by the 'big music lovers'. Bands like Green Day or Within Temptation have such a distinct following that people start to hate the fans of those bands, instead of the music itself.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »

:lol :lol
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »
Never listened to them, and dont plan on it :tup
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline IGWT

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2011, 06:38:37 PM »
The thing about Nickelback (and Creed before them) is that "EVERYBODY" hates them, yet 60 million people seem to be lying.  It seems a billion times easier to find a hater than a fan, yet look at how they chart. Hmmm.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2011, 09:12:07 PM »
I liked their first single "How You Remind Me" way back when they came out.

Edit: Just listened to it, and I really don't like it now.

one of the best posts i've seen in a while.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »
Ok i think it's bigger than nickelback. I think they are one of the biggest bands out there and they kind of represent everything that is wrong with rock music today. So since they are the most popular the most hate get's directed towards them. I was thinking how so many big hits in the 90's that were so original and had artistic merit would never get on the radio now because of bands like Nickelback that makes the most formulaic, un-insipired,  non artistic garbage known to man. Bands that are actually trying to do something original or artistic are non paid attention to because of all the BULLSHIT that's on the radio now. I used to love the radio. But this past decade for the most part has been worse than i ever could have imagined and Nickelback are the poster boys.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2011, 09:20:36 PM »

This is far from the truth.  last summer they played Gilette Stadium in Mass and that hold 70,000 for concerts so picture fail.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Volk9

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »

This is far from the truth.  last summer they played Gilette Stadium in Mass and that hold 70,000 for concerts so picture fail.

Yes, that picture is showing far to few seats

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:32 PM »
 :lol

You may not like them but they are pulling the people in.  Like I said.  They've got 2 or 3 songs each album that I like but the rest stinks.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2011, 09:31:43 PM »
:lol

You may not like them but they are pulling the people in.  Like I said.  They've got 2 or 3 songs each album that I like but the rest stinks.

No no, like I said, I've never really listened to them, so I dont have any opinion of them.

EDIT: Wait, I used to listen to "Savin' Me" on VH1. I think I like the video more than the music though.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »
Three Days Grace and Shinedown deserve the popularity that Nickelback enjoys. Just sayin'.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2011, 10:47:01 PM »
Three Days Grace and Shinedown deserve the popularity that Nickelback enjoys. Just sayin'.
Well, they both enjoy quite a bit of popularity.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »
The idea that it's somehow "Cool" to hate Nickelback is bullshit.  I hate them because Chad Kroeger's voice is like nails on a chalkboard and the music literally makes me want to stab my ears out with a spoon.  Nothing at all to do with being "cool".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2011, 09:20:57 AM »
I usually describe their music as being "painfully generic."  I can't remember ever hearing a single song of theirs that I like, and I always think, "How is this band so popular?"  I literally don't know a single person who likes them (unless they are too embarrassed to admit it, which is very possible :lol).

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2011, 10:15:13 AM »

I can agree with the Shinedown statement, having taken my boys to see 3DG live I can't agree, they are a carbon copy of Nickelback, all their singles sound exactly the same
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
I think this is a good song.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8IrwO4mopc
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2011, 10:31:11 AM »
Shinedown is excellent. One of the best mainstream bands.

Alter Bridge deserves it more than anyone.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2011, 02:17:05 PM »
TDG is so much worse than Nickleback IMO.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2011, 06:06:46 PM »
I usually describe their music as being "painfully generic."  I can't remember ever hearing a single song of theirs that I like, and I always think, "How is this band so popular?"  I literally don't know a single person who likes them (unless they are too embarrassed to admit it, which is very possible :lol).
This sums it up quite well. When I hear a song of theirs, it's just... not very pleasant at all. I don't really know how to explain it. But while I understand why so many run-of-the-mill one-hit wonders flood the airwaves because of simple, catchy, danceable songs, Nickelback's popularity does somewhat surprise me in a way.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2011, 06:35:01 PM »
People just like to band together for a common good. ie shitting on Nickelback. Do I think they're TERRIBLE? No, but it's pretty vapid "pro wrestling rock"

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
"pro wrestling rock"

I used to wonder if people saw this as a sort of loose genre.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2011, 06:42:13 PM »
The more I think of it the more I like it :lol

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »
dude, i grew up with nickelback, like most of us did. granted, they are no where near DT (assumed) but some of their older songs bring me good memories of my teenage years...drinking old E by the docks with my friends, staying out late...ahhh THOSE WERE THE TIMES.

/nostalgic rant.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »

I am quite well aware of there success & I like a few of their songs, Just poking a bit of fun.  ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2011, 08:05:59 PM »
My problem is Chad's voice is the same in ever song.  Ballad, rocker, it's the same.  That drives me nuts.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 05:58:43 AM »
My problem is Chad's voice is the same in ever song.  Ballad, rocker, it's the same.  That drives me nuts.

Yep.  Same in every song..... BAD!!!  Finger nails on a chalkboard are more pleasant.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 06:29:23 AM »
People just like to band together for a common good. ie shitting on Nickelback. Do I think they're TERRIBLE? No, but it's pretty vapid "pro wrestling butt rock"

They're butt rock:

"if it sounds like something Chad Kroeger would crap out, it's butt rock."

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2011, 06:46:14 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm a fan, but I like a couple of songs here and there.

Offline ehra

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2011, 06:54:04 AM »
I got Silver Side Up a long time ago and still enjoy it. Never felt much urge to get any others if their later singles are any indicator.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
I actually don't hate Nickelback themselves, or their music, though I'm weary of what they represent (the whole corporate rock thing). What I REALLY hate are the 3.7 million other bands that have followed in their wake by sounding as much like them as possible. I can't name any of them specifically but they usually have the word Abel or Benjamin or some such in their name and you can't tell them apart. They are truly the Motley Crue of the 00's.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints