Author Topic: What movie / movie scene makes you cry?  (Read 30143 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: What movie / movie scene makes you cry?
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Oh jeez, I totally forgot about that one.  I saw it when I was in junior high.  The first movie to make me cry.

It was kinda weird, and kinda cool.  As a kid, I never cried at movies (not even the scary or sad scenes in Disney movies) because that's what little kids do.  But when Brian died and Gayle Sayers made that speech, I had tears in my eyes and oddly enough, I felt grown up because of it.  Like I'd been moved by actual adult emotions, not little kid emotions.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2011, 01:15:46 PM »
Brian's Song

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian%27s_Song
I was going to post that one too, but figured only five of us have probably seen it.  Heartbreaker.

I'm one of those five.  The music was pretty haunting too.  I had to play that theme song for a piano recital when I was around 11 or so.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
For some reason, Orbert's post reminded me of an odd one.  When I was 7, I saw Snoopy Come Home, right after our family dog I had been with my whole chidhood, had died, and had too run to my room because I was crying hystericaly.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
A buddy of mine claims that the movie the Mistended differently than the book.

It does. I haven't read it, but Darabont talks about it on the DVD commentary. He said when King saw the film, he thought "Now why didn't I think of ending it that way?!" but Darabont says the idea is in the text, he just changed how the outcome actually plays out.

Brian's Song

I saw this for the first time recently. I found it touching, but since I already knew so much about the history and film, it wasn't as moving as it would have been had I seen it without as much knowledge going in. Very hard to make a true story moving, when everyone knows the outcome going in.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2011, 01:57:27 PM »
For some reason, Orbert's post reminded me of an odd one.  When I was 7, I saw Snoopy Come Home, right after our family dog I had been with my whole chidhood, had died, and had too run to my room because I was crying hystericaly.

Oh my, I'd forgotten about Snoopy Come Home.  Major tear-jerker.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »
Brian's Song

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian%27s_Song
I was going to post that one too, but figured only five of us have probably seen it.  Heartbreaker.

I'm one of those five.  The music was pretty haunting too.  I had to play that theme song for a piano recital when I was around 11 or so.

I loved the music so much that I went out and bought the sheet music myself so I could play it.  A pretty simple piece, but I still remember how cool it was when it went through the bridge and reprised the main theme in big block chords.  Yeah, baby!  Who the fuck needs piano lessons?  Not me!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »

Oh my, I'd forgotten about Snoopy Come Home.  Major tear-jerker.
*hugs*

The song killed me,"Snoooooopy, Snoooooopy, come home Snoopy come home."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2011, 09:15:10 PM »
Some of you mentioned Into The Wild, but nobody mentioned the scene where Chris meets Franz, who later asks if he could adopt him as his grandson, since he has lost his family.

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2011, 12:32:10 AM »
Some of you mentioned Into The Wild, but nobody mentioned the scene where Chris meets Franz, who later asks if he could adopt him as his grandson, since he has lost his family.
... I had managed to forget that scene out of sheer sadness.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2011, 12:32:59 AM »
The kids standing on their desks at the end of Dead Poets Society.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2011, 01:22:01 AM »
The ending to Inception. Damn, that Hans Zimmer knows how to work an audience

Inception makes you cry?

So?

I'm not saying it can't.... i just....  dunno. lol

He's not the only one. Look on page 2.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2011, 01:26:07 AM »
The ending to Inception. Damn, that Hans Zimmer knows how to work an audience

Inception makes you cry?

So?

I'm not saying it can't.... i just....  dunno. lol

He's not the only one. Look on page 2.

Different movies affect people differently obviously but that was the main weakness to me about Inception. I thought it was emotionally vapid. I had no connection with the characters and i didn't care about the emotional arcs, even though i WANTED to to.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2011, 03:05:58 AM »
Not really sure if it counts, but looking back at the Matrix-sequels kinda makes me cry.

Nah, personally I think both sequels are good, they just aren't nearly as fantastic as the first.  ;)

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2011, 06:19:50 AM »
The end of Pan's Labrynth.
...and a more unusual one but in The Lord of the Rings the end where Aragorn's having his ceremony and the hobbits are stood there and he says, "You bow to no-one."  Always gets me for some reason  :)

Offline JosephAOI

• DTF's resident Jewish Ninja
« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2011, 08:17:17 PM »
I totally agree with Click for the rain scene and one I haven't seen on here yet (surprisingly) is the part in I Am Legend, when he has to kill his dog. Major tear jerker, man.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2011, 02:16:31 PM »
The end of Pan's Labrynth.
...and a more unusual one but in The Lord of the Rings the end where Aragorn's having his ceremony and the hobbits are stood there and he says, "You bow to no-one."  Always gets me for some reason  :)

Totally agree with you on the LOTR one.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2011, 02:53:53 PM »
Dancer in the Dark has only been mentioned once? I'm especially disappointed in you, Sonata. Other movies have made me cry before, but no movie has ever made it happen twice every time I watch it. Two scenes in the movie just leave me completely stunned, staring at the screen with my mouth wide open in disbelief, tears running down my face. IT'S THE SADDEST THING EVER.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2011, 03:36:08 PM »
Hey don't be disappointed with me. Dancer in the Dark is among the greatest films I have seen, but it didn't make me cry. Rather, haunted me and my awful moods for years to come.

Offline DREAMS FTIME45

« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2011, 07:20:13 PM »
This might and will sound pathetic but everytime I see the movie Purple Rain and hear that song it get's to me.
"This song is dedicated to my father Francais L. It's a song that the girls in the band wrote Wendy And Lisa"

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »
Hey don't be disappointed with me. Dancer in the Dark is among the greatest films I have seen, but it didn't make me cry. Rather, haunted me and my awful moods for years to come.
I only like that movie because I'm sort of curious to death scenes, especially if it involves hanging.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2011, 07:30:54 PM »
I only like that movie because I'm sort of curious to death scenes, especially if it involves hanging.

?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
Weird, what I wanted to write was that I only like watching the final scene from that movie (not the whole movie) because it's really emotional, and I have a weird fetish for death scenes (in movies) where it involves hanging.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2011, 06:35:50 AM »
Doctor Who.

So many fucking times.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline D_Halco

« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2011, 07:00:55 AM »
The Land Before Time--Wont spoil it for those who havent seen it, but those who have know what scene Im referring to. James Horner's magnificent underscore during this particular scene is absolutely heartbreaking and probably my favorite orchestral track of all time!

Rudy--The ending. This is my favorite sports movie and the final ten minutes or so are just so inspiring, you really root for the guy the entire film and to see him make that tackle is just so powerful! Jerry Goldsmith wrote the score for that film and his music for that final game is so perfect, so damn inspirational, I would think this scene wouldnt be such a tearjerker if it werent for his score. (Although I am personally biased since he is not only my favorite composer but musical artist as well.)

But these are just two films that come to mind, Ive teared up at alot of movies, and alot of the time its because its a perfect union of what is being seen and the music that is being heard.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2011, 07:02:59 AM »
Inception, in the scene where Cobb comes to terms with Mal's dying image.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2011, 07:29:35 AM »
Damn, I can't believe I'm going to have to turn in my man card for admitting this but...

There is a scene in the movie, "The Notebook" when James Garner is having a wonderful moment with his wife who suffers from Alzheimer and dementia, where she is remembering there life together clearly. They enjoy dinner together and then he asks her to dance. He is in heaven and he feels he is with the women he loves and she is whole again. Then in the middle of the dance it all ends, as her dementia kicks in. She looks at him in fear not recognizing him anymore, and she starts to panic and scream. He tries to console her and hold her but she is freaking out. As the orderly's enter the room he is left in pieces sobbing brokenhearted.
This scene ruined me when I saw it. I imagined if that were me with my wife and yes, I cried.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:37:48 AM by tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2011, 07:39:23 AM »

But you know what has made me tear up most on repeat viewings? The endings of two episodes of Futurama - Jurassic Bark and The Sting. Anyone who doesn't get emotional at the ends of those episodes doesn't have a soul.

I don't know about you guys but I always get the most choked up over Luck of the Fryrish.
Oh god yes, I forgot about that one!

Agreed with sonata, Futurama is amazing.

Yeah.  I remember seeing Jurassic Bark for the first time.  Now I just can't watch it again because every moment of it is seared into my memory.  I hate seeing movies/TV shows where the dog dies.  They make me so damn sad.  :'(

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2011, 07:45:18 AM »
I imagined if that were me with my wife and yes, I cried.

That's what does it for me.  I don't cry just because it's a sad scene, I cry because I put myself in that situation.  What if I were that person, having to deal with that?  Losing a loved one or worse, losing a loved one who's still right there, but isn't?  That kills me.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »
Tick, please turn in your man card. :tick2:

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
the end of Shawshank.....on the beach.....feel good cry.

Rudy....on the field.

Airplane...the whole movie.....tears of laughter....
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »

Just for watching the movie you should have to give up the man card
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2011, 09:41:51 AM »

Just for watching the movie you should have to give up the man card

What if I own the movie?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:12 AM »
Oh dear.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »
Reading through this thread made me realize something. I don’t tend to cry at sad parts in movies. If done well, I feel sadness, but it ends there. When I end up crying, it is because a scene is more moving than sad. A scene can be positive, even, in an emotional way, and it can move me to tears. Like the end of Ordinary People. There’s nothing sad about that scene; it is uplifting to see father and son connect and heal old wounds in such a way. But it still makes me cry. Someone brought up the end of Rudy. Same thing.

I'll also throw out Star Trek II, not so much when Spock dies*, but Kirk's beautifully, simple eulogy, and Amazing Grace on the bagpipes.

* Interesting backstory on how all that came about, from the original idea, to how it evolved, to trying to keep it under wraps. Even back in 1982 word got out ahead of time that ‘omg they were going to kill Spock!’
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2011, 11:02:33 AM »
I was just thinking about Spock's death and how it affected Kirk, but the eulogy never really moved me because Shatner failed to convince me that he was doing anything more than just acting.  We're supposed to be moved, and I don't like being hit over the head with it.

On the other hand, there's the scene in Star Trek III, during the mind-meld with Sarek and he's reliving the events.  Kirk is repeating his lines, and Sarek is speaking the lines that Spock had spoken, then Kirk quietly says No! as he watches Spock die again, in his mind.  That moves me.