Author Topic: A Nation of Moochers  (Read 15631 times)

Offline PraXis

Re: A Nation of Moochers
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2011, 09:03:23 AM »
What do you do for a living, king? (you probably told me at the Cantina, but I forgot)

The programmer situation in the Boston area is insane right now. There are so many more jobs than there are people looking for them.

rumborak

All depends on your area. We have plenty of IT jobs (i.e. programming) in NJ, my company included. We also have openings in the SF bay area.

There are PLENTY of jobs out there, BUT they will require people to make tough decisions such as changing careers and moving.

For the record, I'm not against safety nets on a STATE level, but they must be temporary.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »
Just to make sure I'm getting you straight: you won't take a job that isn't giving you what you used to get?

I said I would take a pay cut but not a 10 or 12k a year pay cut.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »
What do you do for a living, king? (you probably told me at the Cantina, but I forgot)

The programmer situation in the Boston area is insane right now. There are so many more jobs than there are people looking for them.

rumborak

All depends on your area. We have plenty of IT jobs (i.e. programming) in NJ, my company included. We also have openings in the SF bay area.

There are PLENTY of jobs out there, BUT they will require people to make tough decisions such as changing careers and moving.

For the record, I'm not against safety nets on a STATE level, but they must be temporary.

That is another issue creating problems.  Due to the housing mess, there are problems with the portability of the work force.  If you are way underwater on your home, you cant move across the country to get a job, even if it is offered to you.  People think it is easy just to walk away from a house.....it isnt.  There are many ramifications:  Credit goes to shit; Bank sues you for money it loses when it sells the house; Bankruptcy can affect certain professional licenses.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »

rumborak

That is another issue creating problems.  Due to the housing mess, there are problems with the portability of the work force.  If you are way underwater on your home, you cant move across the country to get a job, even if it is offered to you.  People think it is easy just to walk away from a house.....it isnt.  There are many ramifications:  Credit goes to shit; Bank sues you for money it loses when it sells the house; Bankruptcy can affect certain professional licenses.

exactly. I am willing to move for my job. That's why i've been applying all over the state. And i'm planning on changing my career that's why i am working towards my bachelors. Not everything is so cut and dry, like people on unemployment are moochers.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
Just came across this article on CNN Money, I thought I should post it.

https://money.cnn.com/2011/05/09/pf/taxes/millionaires_income_tax/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

They're in good company, of course. Nearly half of all U.S. households, or 69 million, are estimated to have owed no federal income taxes for 2010. The vast majority of them, however, are low income. But 18,000 were households taking in more than $500,000 -- and of those, 4,000 made more than $1 million.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2011, 12:00:32 PM »
Now that's a problem

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2011, 12:22:19 PM »
Now that's a problem

Why?  I dont see any problem there.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »

rumborak

I only wish Rumbo.  I've been a floor manager of a production company for 10 years.  I first came up shipping and receiving and then managed that department.  I added Inventory control, purchasing, and then became the floor manager.  I've got a few calls today for an interview.  I'm hoping I get something close to what I was making and I'll jump right on a job.  I don't like this feeling of not working.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PraXis

« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2011, 01:47:33 PM »

rumborak

The housing mess was HUGE, but you know what? Too many people bought houses they should not have purchased. I'm a first generation American, and my parents never believed in "credit." You save up and then you buy something.

This should be especially true for houses. You save your money and then buy the whole thing in cash, or at the very least, get 50-60% equity into the house at minimum... none of this 20% down nonsense.

I'm saving up for my first house right now.. so I'm loving the crash, although I haven't found the perfect deal yet.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »

rumborak

The housing mess was HUGE, but you know what? Too many people bought houses they should not have purchased. I'm a first generation American, and my parents never believed in "credit." You save up and then you buy something.

This should be especially true for houses. You save your money and then buy the whole thing in cash, or at the very least, get 50-60% equity into the house at minimum... none of this 20% down nonsense.

I'm saving up for my first house right now.. so I'm loving the crash, although I haven't found the perfect deal yet.

I don't know about where you live but you can't buy a house in my area for less than 300k. How are you supposed to pay rent for an apartment and save up over 300k? I guess if you make a couple hundred grand a year you could be a middle class worker? Plus the property taxes are insane.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »

rumborak

I don't know about where you live but you can't buy a house in my area for less than 300k. How are you supposed to pay rent for an apartment and save up over 300k? I guess if you make a couple hundred grand a year you could be a middle class worker? Plus the property taxes are insane.

It's like that in NJ... houses are expensive and taxes are insane... my solution? Saving up now (rent) and then moving to TX where I can buy a 2400 sq ft house for $100k, with some land, and no state income tax.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »

While in an ideal world, this would be the way to go, the reality is that it would take most people unrealistic amounts of time to be able to buy a house. Even with the $500 a month that I could afford to save for a house, it would take me 30-40 years to be able to afford a modest home. Most people aren't able to save even this much.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »
There's plenty of evidence  :huh: I and some others here have already alluded to a number of historical examples showing what was happening in the United States and Europe before these measures were introduced. Aside from that, there's an abundance of evidence that crime is related to socio-economic conditions, i.e. poor people are more likely to promote crime, so much so that it seems trivial to dig out an actual article but if you want me to look I will. What other kinds of evidence are you looking for?
During previous recessions and depressions, the unemployment rate and the mean duration of unemployment were both lower than they are today. The major difference between then and now is the extensive unemployment benefits people have access to today. That strongly suggests, at least to me, that reducing unemployment benefits will lead to people finding work.

I would like to read about our almost communist revolution in America. I'm guessing it's same bullshit about the brilliance of unions and the success of social welfare I was spoon fed in college, but If I can see what you're talking about I'll provide a better answer.

Again, I'm curious to see what you actually think will happen when people have these kinds of programs taken away from them? Do you honestly think people with no jobs and no employment benefits are just going to fall in line under what libertarian values say they should do?
As I said, if we reform the welfare system gradually I think the effect on the economy will be positive. Not only will unemployment likely go down, but we won't be diverting as many resources from productive channels to subsidize people who aren't doing anything. That can only improve the economic situation. I wouldn't expect mass rioting and revolt in that scenario.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »
A bit off topic but it's good to hear there's still plenty of IT jobs out there for me when I finish my degree.

Particularly since I might be moving to America and stealing your jobs at some point in my life.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »
why in the name of god would you move to america

Offline PraXis

« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2011, 08:25:17 PM »
why in the name of god would you move to america

Depends where you move. Research the demographics very carefully and there's plenty to find where you will prosper. If not America, then Iceland and New Zealand are lookin' good.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »
sonata was joking :P

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »
Particularly since I might be moving to America and stealing your jobs at some point in my life.

Just wait for the rednecks to shout out "Those danged Scots are takin' ewr jewbs!"...
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2011, 12:43:31 AM »

Just wait for the rednecks to shout out "Those danged Scots are takin' ewr jewbs!"...

Dey tuk r jobz!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2011, 04:58:18 AM »