Author Topic: The new tour set lists  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
The new tour set lists
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »
Do you guys think the variety is going to be limited, at least for this albums release seeing as it is Mangini's first tour with the band?

Offline SeventhSon

Re: The new tour set lists
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »
I'm not sure. I could see it going either way - they might keep it somewhat limited, or they might just throw anything and everything at MM to see if he can hang. He's an extremely capable drummer, and I can't imagine he's only learned the audition stuff and the new material. He seems like a real student of his instrument and would probably devour as much of their stuff as he can.

Offline xeper

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »
I'm sure Mangini can keep up with whatever, but wasn't Portnoy the biggest fan in the band of their WDADU stuff? Maybe there'll be less of that in future setlists.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »
I'm sure Mangini can keep up with whatever, but wasn't Portnoy the biggest fan in the band of their WDADU stuff? Maybe there'll be less of that in future setlists.
I dont think there has been much of WDADU material in setlists since the train of thought tour. I certainly would love to hear some of that stuff though!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »
I would really like to know if Mangini has gone insane and set out to learn EVERY song in DT's catalog.

To all future interviewers of Mangini, please ask how much of the discography he has learned so far!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline JPX

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
I can see the sets remaining very constant for the first year of touring at least.

Mangini will obviously know the new material (lets say 10 for rounding purposes). Then I can see him learning between 15-20 of their other songs (2/3 per album) which will allow them to rotate a certain amount per show.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »
I imagine he'll have a much easier time learning them now that he's in the band. He'll have access to legitimate sheet music and the band for help. He'll be much less on his own than he was for the auditions. It wouldn't be as much of a task, I'd imagine.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
I don't remember them taking it too easy on JR when he joined the band (although they did play the entirety of the then-new album every night).  I'd be surprised if they don't maintain a high level of variety in the set lists.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »
Too bad MP took down the tourography, so they can't reference past shows and do the unique setlists. >:(

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 09:43:53 PM »
Too bad MP took down the tourography, so they can't reference past shows and do the unique setlists. >:(
I'm sure they have that information stored somewhere.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 11:49:27 PM »
I don't think that the variety is going to be limited. I'm pretty sure that MM, given how keen he was on getting to work with DT, took the time to learn a good amount of songs to be prepared for the upcoming tour. Also, DT want to keep up the rotating set lists thing as far as I remember, so that's also a plus, I guess.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »
Pretty sure JR said they were going to continue the rotating set lists.  Someone from here talked to him last week.  My biggest question is, are we ever gonna see the "Evenings with" shows again.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 07:48:58 AM »
I don't remember them taking it too easy on JR when he joined the band (although they did play the entirety of the then-new album every night).  I'd be surprised if they don't maintain a high level of variety in the set lists.
Well, I think it had something to do with the great album reception. Also, they still maintained a high level of variety in BCSL and SC tours, but I really think it wasn't as high as the level in the Octavarium tour and earlier. So, if the majority agrees with me, I'd say it would be sorta easier for Mike than it could be.

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 07:52:29 AM »
I'm sure they have that information stored somewhere.

I believe it's just down for maintenance. LINK. I believe they will keep rotating setlists though. DT fans expect it and they have something to prove.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 08:18:37 AM »
Anyone else think they will play the entirety of the new album on the upcoming tour? I just have this feeling that they'll want to really cement their new place in DT History and a great way to do so would be to play their entire new album (which, presumably, will be about 78 minutes long). I know it'll take up about half of the set list, but MM will already know all of those songs having written and/or recorded the drum parts for them, so he'll already have half the set under his belt. The rest would be classics and other recent singles/hits he would have to learn, which probably wouldn't take very long.

I just have this gut feeling they'll play the whole album, whether or not it's conceptual and has a reason to be played in its entirety. Even if it's not a concept album, they'll probably play every track scattered throughout the set, although I wouldn't put it past them to play the whole album front-to-back at least once, somewhere.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »
Pretty sure JR said they were going to continue the rotating set lists.  Someone from here talked to him last week.  My biggest question is, are we ever gonna see the "Evenings with" shows again.

Yea, that was me.  I met Jordan on Saturday at his Japan benefit and I praised the documentary because it gave fans a behind-the-scenes look like MP used to do with his various tasks.  Jordan responded by singling out the rotating setlists as a task the band would need to shoulder as well, although looking back he didn't really come out and say they would be doing it.  But it's interesting that he brought up the topic on his own.  It gives me the impression they are aware that its important to fans and they're at least going to make an effort. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):