Author Topic: Regarding the trolling of Polls/Survivors (please read)  (Read 44195 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Regarding the trolling of Polls/Survivors (please read)
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 05:55:53 AM »
Yeah, trolling these is stupid. :P The srs bsns argument is pretty lame too, as games have rules. :P

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 09:00:23 AM »
I'm still not even sure how one could skew a poll, guess I'm a noob?

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 09:02:49 AM »
People make alternate accounts and then vote on all those accounts, I think.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 09:16:23 AM »
That or going in and just trying to mess with the results, such as voting for clear favourites early in a survivor.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:30 AM »
Yeah but I just don't see how one vote is that big of a deal. So its a small amount of people with lots of accounts?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 09:24:09 AM »
Something like that.  It isn't usually a big deal.  Basically, in running and participating in these things some people want to see accurate reflections of how people vote, so any goofiness obscures that.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »
In after Zack defines trolling as "fun".

I meant the entire idea of survivors.

They're fun, and to make a big deal out of them kind of ruins it if you ask me.
Going to the cinema is fun, but if someone starts shouting and sets fire to the screen, I'd get pretty irritated.

Sorry but your justification is ridiculous. Of course it doesn't matter, but it is ONLY fun because the results are interesting. Skewing them removes the entire purpose of doing them. Unless you get some sort of strange joy out of picking an option and clicking "vote", which personally I find to be the rather mundane part of the overall process.

EDIT: I don't think it's alternate accounts, but rather a group of people who wouldn't be voting at all deliberately voting for a popular song to screw with the results.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »
Yeah, in the past, it's been a group of like 8-9 people who just go in and vote for either the popular favourite, or a particular song of their choice.

At one point during last year's Opeth survivor, I had mentioned that The Drapery Falls was my favourite Opeth song. Because I'm vocally opposed to trolling, the group of trolls decided to spend several rounds attempting to vote it out. No one who actually posted their votes were owning up to voting for it, so it was pretty clear that it was a trolling problem. I put the survivor on hiatus for about 2 weeks until the trolls were called out and stopped. During that time, several other survivors got trolled.

For the most part, it's pretty obvious who is trolling. When someone vehemently defends the idea of trolling with the classic "srs bsns" argument, they are usually put on my radar. Not saying that everyone who doesn't mind trolling is a troll, but many are.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 08:36:24 AM »
The thing that I find funny is that you are implying that I am trolling when every time I do, I admit it.

You don't have to call me out because I was never hiding. Every time I troll a Survivor, I always post what I'm voting for.

Go check the IA one, every single round I voted for Trains and said it. Is it my least favorite song? No, it's one of my favorites, but it's not the best song on IA, and I figured voting it out earlier would be easier than voting it out when theres only a few songs left.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 12:38:49 PM »
The thing that I find funny is that you are implying that I am trolling when every time I do, I admit it.

You don't have to call me out because I was never hiding. Every time I troll a Survivor, I always post what I'm voting for.

Go check the IA one, every single round I voted for Trains and said it. Is it my least favorite song? No, it's one of my favorites, but it's not the best song on IA, and I figured voting it out earlier would be easier than voting it out when theres only a few songs left.

Before I go into this post I apologize if I'm stirring a pot that has long since settled since it's been a while since anyone's posted in here but seeing as how it hasn't been locked yet I guess the discussion remains open.

To address the red text from quadrochosis I have a few things to say. Your post makes it clear that you know the object of each round of a survivor is to vote out the consensus least favorite song. I literally very much want to know what makes it appealing to have the results reflect your own opinion more than the opinion of all the ones whom voted honestly. It's almost like saying a huge "Fuck you!" to those whom have spent time investing their honest opinions for these survivors.

If you think I'm taking this too seriously then don't you think the trolls are even worse about taking it too seriously since they're (at times) so bothered about the "results always being the same" that they have to screw with something where the only purpose whatsoever is to get an accurate reflection of the body of voters participating in it? It comes off like you can't handle others having an opinion differing from yours so the trolls selfishly hijack the survivor with the attitude of "our opinion matters more." Just a very inconsiderate thing to do to others that are just trying to have a legitimately fun time that doesn't cause any harm to anyone else.

Also, what's the big issue if the survivor results are undesirable for you? They obviously don't determine future setlists, tracklistings on "best of" albums, or even one thing more than simply a reflection of a bunch of borderline strangers on an internet forum.

I really wanna see what your reasoning is so by all means reply and I promise I'll remain respectful and nonhostile.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 05:49:14 PM »
Too bad he can't reply :P
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 06:01:26 PM »
Too bad he can't reply :P

:facepalm:

Okay, I still leave the question open for anyone who's ever defended trolling survivors...
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 06:35:07 PM »
You're about 2 months late now. :P

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »

You need to stop posting here. Good God dude.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »
lol

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2011, 07:00:23 PM »

You need to stop posting here. Good God dude.
I know right? What a douche.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2011, 08:45:03 PM »
I miss you Zack :sadpanda:
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
I dont.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »
The best solution would be to make it to where it shows who voted for each song, but, sadly, this site does not have that option.
I don't like that idea, if i voted for a song everybody else liked, even if it was my actual opinion, people would accuse me of trolling.
An example is that i voted for Trial Of Tears in the Falling Into Infinity survivor after Just Let Me Breathe and You Not Me were voted out because i really like every other song on Falling Into Infinity better, but if someone saw that i would immediatley be accused of trolling.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
Really not much left to discuss here... so I'm just locking, but of course the no trolling thing is still in effect.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1