Author Topic: The Brian Jonestown Massacre Appreciation Thread  (Read 798 times)

Offline Compadre

• Progressive Zydeco Enthusiast
  • "Dance with the one who brung ya"
The Brian Jonestown Massacre Appreciation Thread
« on: May 02, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »
The Brian Jonestown Massacre is my absolute favorite band right after Dream Theater & Metallica.  I discovered this San Francisco based, neo-psychedelic rock band after watching the very entertaining documentary, "Dig!" (About the band's antics and the rise of their good friends and fellow SF scenesters, The Dandy Warhols).

If you aren't familiar with the band, I will have to warn you before checking them out:  They are as far away from prog and/or metal as it gets.  

However, if you like The Rolling Stones, Oasis, Sgt. Pepper/Rubber Soul/Revolver Beatles, or just want a complete change of pace in your music listening with absolutely excellent songwriting, then I strongly suggest giving them a chance.  

Heck, I can even see fans of Porcupine Tree understanding and "getting" this band.

My advice would be to start with their 'greatest hits' compilation (Titled: "Tepid Peppermint Wonderland") or any of their mid-late 90's, early 2000's records.

My personal BJM album favs are: "Take it From The Man!", "Thank God for Mental Illness", "Their Satanic Majesties Second Request" & my absolute fav "Give it Back!".

If you only want to take a quick listen to see if this great band might be your cup of tea, I would suggest checking out their videos/songs on youtube or iTunes.

Any other Brian Jonestown Massacre fans on DTF?

_Compadre_
Learning Lessons & Living Blessings

Offline Compadre

• Progressive Zydeco Enthusiast
  • "Dance with the one who brung ya"
Re: The Brian Jonestown Massacre Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 02:16:02 PM »
Well, it seems to appear that I am the one and only Brian Jonestown Massacre fanboy on DTF, and I am 100% cool with that.

I also bet I'm the only person around here that also likes  zydeco & Texas Swing music too? 

:hat
Learning Lessons & Living Blessings

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
Re: The Brian Jonestown Massacre Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
I know nothing about any of those bands but I'm posting because you're all alone in this thread and I feel bad