Author Topic: Have we all seen this yet ?  (Read 8661 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Have we all seen this yet ?
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 10:22:08 PM »
Everything just feels so different and I love it. I know we haven't heard the music, but it just feels like we're headed in a new direction for DT. I'm very excited to see what happens
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 11:52:22 PM »
Someone should edit wikipedia's Dream Theater page and use this as the picture.
You can't use a copyrighted picture on there.

Ohhhh so that's why Wikipedia only has all these random live photos and interview stills for bands / members  :facepalm:

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 12:02:19 AM »
So great. Mangini fits in.
Yes, and altogether the band looks less metal now. They look like a pop rock band like Nickelback, Alter Bridge and the likes.

Clean that wax outta your ears, son. AB is not pop by any means, and for you to put them into a category with Nickelback is outrageous. You have no idea what you're talking about.

And the picture looks awesome. Mangini does fit in perfectly.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 12:06:29 AM »
I'd say they did the shoot in front of a green screen and they just keyed in the background.  Looks really cool though as far the guys are concerned.  I like this 100x more than the BCSL lolfest pictures.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 03:09:12 AM »
Gotta love the leather jackets!

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 03:24:57 AM »
So great. Mangini fits in.
Yes, and altogether the band looks less metal now. They look like a pop rock band like Nickelback, Alter Bridge and the likes.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline E.S.

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »
I'd say they did the shoot in front of a green screen and they just keyed in the background.  Looks really cool though as far the guys are concerned.  I like this 100x more than the BCSL lolfest pictures.
It's actually more like clever lighting. I've seen "photoshopped" effects in pictures where they are using different flashes and reflectors to light the subject, but not the background. There's also a light source in the back that gives their hair a little bit of edge.
That's my theory anyway. Light can totally change an image.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »
It's actually more like clever lighting. I've seen "photoshopped" effects in pictures where they are using different flashes and reflectors to light the subject, but not the background. There's also a light source in the back that gives their hair a little bit of edge.

Are you in photography or film by any chance?  Just curious because I graduated with a film degree and like to know when there is a person to talk to about tech stuff.  Anyways, I still think its a green screen but with good back lighting.  It's pretty standard practice to light your subject from the back, standard 3 point lighting trick. 

The reason I think its green screened in is because if you look at Petrucci you can see his face is in about the same focus as the rafter right next to him, where it should be out of focus because the rafter is up and behind him.  I feel like the depths of field don't match.  Also it looks like there is still an edge on myung's leg from the Keying.

/video tech nerd stuff
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2011, 11:48:19 AM »
I like it  :tup
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline E.S.

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »

Are you in photography or film by any chance?  Just curious because I graduated with a film degree and like to know when there is a person to talk to about tech stuff.  Anyways, I still think its a green screen but with good back lighting.  It's pretty standard practice to light your subject from the back, standard 3 point lighting trick. 

The reason I think its green screened in is because if you look at Petrucci you can see his face is in about the same focus as the rafter right next to him, where it should be out of focus because the rafter is up and behind him.  I feel like the depths of field don't match.  Also it looks like there is still an edge on myung's leg from the Keying.

/video tech nerd stuff
I'm a photographer of sorts, yes. And it could be both, in this day and age it's hard to tell. Could be the lighting, or a green screen. It might have been shot with high aperture to get everything in focus, hard to tell on a low res image. In full resolution it's usually easy to see if anything has been changed.
It's also a strange choice of background to paste in there... I don't know.

Offline TL

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
Great promo picture. I definitely like it more than most of the BC&SL ones. It just looks a lot more natural. Less trying to look a certain way, and more just being themselves, which is a good thing.

Also, it looks like JMX is so pumped for this record that he actually showed up for the photoshoot instead of just having them use the cardboard cutout again.