Poll

Is it likely that Dream Theater has not yet written their "fan favorite" CD yet?

Yes, they have yet to make their best album.
5 (5.3%)
Very likely
12 (12.6%)
Not too likely
42 (44.2%)
Quite improbably
26 (27.4%)
Impossible
10 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: Is it likely that Dream Theater has not yet written their "fan favorite" CD yet?  (Read 7916 times)

Offline Aniland

I left the title ambiguous since there is debate over what the fan-favorite is. Some say Images, some say Scenes, some say Awake... a few say Six Degrees even. But I wonder, is it possibly that Dream Theater's prime album still has yet to come? Yet one be reminded that Pink Floyd's all-time best known didn't appear until albums 8, 9, 10, and 11 respectively. Could we see the potential 'essential Dream Theater album' on the horizon?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I'd say Scenes and Images are the most "fan-favorite" any DT album can ever get.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Aniland, my good buddy, you haven't changed at all since your days on HOJ :lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
I think DT11 will give us insight as to whether or not this is possible.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
It's very possible.  We haven't yet seen what sort of quality album the new lineup with its new ways will have put out, yet, which means it's in the air.  Though, considering the high concentration of positive energy surrounding them at the time of recording the new album, it could prove to be their best, if not one of their best, and if so, they could end up expanding to greater heights from it.  That is, if it proves to be great.  Which I won't doubt.  Maybe 70/30 in favor, even 80/20.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:20:18 PM by MasterShakezula »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Though I think they have recently written an album near as good as Images and Scenes the majority of the fan base doesn't agree, and I don't think they ever will going forward.

Can someone site me an example of a band with 10+ albums writing a fan consensus favorite album 25+ years into their career? I honestly could not think of one example. (Note: The Wall, the last album the OP cited came out 12 years into Floyd's career)

Now if you mean "one of the fan favorites" then I could see it as possible, but not THE fan favorite.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Aniland

I'd say Scenes and Images are the most "fan-favorite" any DT album can ever get.

I'd say so too, but I wonder if they could be topped.

They laughed me off of there, but I was right. :)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Extremely unlikely.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member

Well, you were laughed off mainly because of your nonstop onslaught of ridiculous threads :P

To say on topic, extremely unlikely.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Can someone site me an example of a band with 10+ albums writing a fan consensus favorite album 25+ years into their career? I honestly could not think of one example. (Note: The Wall, the last album the OP cited came out 12 years into Floyd's career)
Magma is close. They released 8 albums from 1970-1984. The last album they released in 1984 is regarded as their worst by almost everyone. They then returned in 2004 and released an album thats regarded in the top 3 by most fans and #1 by many, including me.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
They haven't produced a great album in ten years and an amazing one in almost twenty. Highly unlikely but I'll keep some optimism.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
There could be a Division Bell waiting.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Aniland

Well, you were laughed off mainly because of your nonstop onslaught of ridiculous threads :P

Nah. My threads were, are, and will continue to be the internet's cream of the crop.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni

rumborak

I'd be very happy if the next DT was their sort of Division Bell.  In quality at least, not that I hope the next one is the last. 

Even so, I don't think they'll make their new best album.  Their last great one was 6DoiT and everything else after that hasn't been up to par. 

Aniland, your old avatar suited you better.  Also, you need to hold off on the "new topic" button for a while.  :P

Offline Flacracker

They haven't produced a great album in ten years and an amazing one in almost twenty. Highly unlikely but I'll keep some optimism.

Hardcore DT fan right here ^.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
I think they have one or two masterpieces left in em. However, I don't think they'll ever equal SFaM, my possible favourite album of all time.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member

Nah. My threads were, are, and will continue to be the internet's cream of the crop.
lol

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Well, BC&SL was a great comeback from the mediocre SC, and with everything that has happened since, it could be a ginat success, on par with SDOIT. And even though IaW/SFAM are not my favorites, I don't see it being topped overall across the fanbase.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Awake is their best, dag nab it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
The people most inclined to rate anything new as their best are likely to be fans they don't have at this point in time, although their next album can is probably their best chance because I think there will be a semi-conscious effort to prove they can make a good album with a new member.  Very improbable.

Basically, what Orcus said.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

rumborak

Considering I adore that album that would be great, but it's not Floyd's fan favorite, not even by miles.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Aniland

Well, BC&SL was a great comeback from the mediocre SC, and with everything that has happened since, it could be a ginat success, on par with SDOIT. And even though IaW/SFAM are not my favorites, I don't see it being topped overall across the fanbase.

I think SC was one of their best, and that BC is the album that they need to make a comeback from.

Offline Mr. Beale

They could have upper tier albums to come, but I doubt anything could capture the large majority of the fanbase like the early albums regardless of quality.

Offline xShammas

• SHAAAAMMAAAAAS TAAAAKE MYYY HAAAAND!!!
I voted not too likely, but it could happen. In my opinion, Awake is the best, Scenes, 6DOIT, and IAW are all closely bunched for 2nd-4th. So their best work is clearly behind them. But train of thought was a solid album. Octavarium was weak, but the song itself gave us hope. Systematic Chaos in my opinion is more underrated than any of their other albums, I love it. ITPOE is a top 5 song for me (Considering it as one song). BCASL, Count of Tuscany is a top 10 song for me, so they've clearly still got what it takes to make godly music. They just need to weed out weak points and keep the album exciting and not too stale. It's definitely possible, but it's all up to DT to make it happen. We'll see how hard they work and what happens with Mangini.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Not too likely. Even if some new albums might be better then the old albums, I doubt they will become as big "fan favourites" simply because they were released later.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
One of their best albums, perfectly likely.

A "fan favourite"? I can't see it. There are too many cynics within the fan base for anything new to be that widely loved, same with all long-established bands.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member

A "fan favourite"? I can't see it. There are too many cynics within the fan base for anything new to be that widely loved, same with all long-established bands.

Yep.  Pretty much this.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

This. Plus, the time I've been here I've realized there are a lot of fans that are more inclined to the metal side of DT and others that are inclined to the prog side. It's hard for them to come up with something that satisfies us all.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)

This was what I was trying to say.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
It is almost inconceivable that they will release an album at this point in their career that will top the sales of Images & Words.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Raoul Sanchez

If they're going to make an album with the kind of quality they've had on the "classics" it's going to be in the next couple of albums. In the past they've always been at their strongest when they've had something to prove, so hopefully this will carry through to their new efforts.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
I have really high hopes for the next album, but so far, Images & Words seems to be the closest to a fan favourite

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
I think the fanbase is divided enough that there never will be one almost unanimously loved album.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

I think SC was one of their best, and that BC is the album that they need to make a comeback from.

That's probably a big minority opinion, then.

If they're going to make an album with the kind of quality they've had on the "classics" it's going to be in the next couple of albums. In the past they've always been at their strongest when they've had something to prove, so hopefully this will carry through to their new efforts.

Amen. They had something to prove with SFAM due to various things, and look how well-loved that album is. When they first joined RR, they were let loose to have fun, and SC kinda flopped, at least if you were to take a poll here (flopped relative to their discog, in general it is probably well-accepted).

With all these things that have happened with MP leaving, they have something to prove. I think this album will be phenomenal.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
I think the fanbase is divided enough that there never will be one almost unanimously loved album.
Of course, but there are clear fan favourites.

Fans are built off what has come before.  An album that brings in many new fans is more likely to create a new fan favourite than one having to cause most of our minds to displace old favourites together.