Author Topic: JMX lyrics confirmed!  (Read 25428 times)

Offline Demolition

Re: JMX lyrics confirmed!
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
I am a long time DT fan but fairly new to the board (discovered it when the drummer search started) so I don't know a lot of the background of the inner workings of the band.  I've seen on numerous posts reference to how lyrics had to be submitted under a certain process.  Can someone give me a little background on that?  When did it start, why did they think that was best, who was the driving force behind it?  Thanks.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »
I am a long time DT fan but fairly new to the board (discovered it when the drummer search started) so I don't know a lot of the background of the inner workings of the band.  I've seen on numerous posts reference to how lyrics had to be submitted under a certain process.  Can someone give me a little background on that?  When did it start, why did they think that was best, who was the driving force behind it?  Thanks.
I might get some things wrong there, but;

Since the band jams and gets the music first, and write lyrics separately, they started following a rule around the SFAM era or a bit after it, which iirc said you either have to fit your lyrics to the compositions or they won't be used. I believe, again, the driving force was Portnoy though sounds nobody in the band objected if they actually followed it for years.

I might be completely wrong.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
This is indeed fantastic news and is just one more reason on top of twenty other reasons I so desire to have this album immediately.
But, is it possible that those of us who absolutely LOVE JM's lyrics, in the absence of his lyrical contribution, have built them/him up to such a 'mythical' level that there is no way he can possibly quench or satisfy our expectations?
  Or, does he give us a host of songs that declare once and for all that he is in fact a lyrical master...worthy of the praise and worship that has developed over the past 12 years?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Aniland

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2011, 11:02:05 AM »
Yes, I think our mythic idealizations are going to come down on us hard.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2011, 11:05:20 AM »
I don't expect his lyrics to be super duper great or amazing.  You get rusty after ten years.

But I'd like to think he didn't just magically loose his talent and ability either.  If they aren't at least very good I'd be disappointed.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Aniland

« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
You get rusty after ten years.

LOL I'll say... it's weird to know that the man who wrote "Under a Glass Moon" wrote "THE SOLDIERS IN THE WINE"

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »
I mean, to be fair, UAGM is pretty incomprehensible.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2011, 11:16:26 AM »
Yeah but at least the imagery is really something else. "Nervous flashlights scan my dreams / Liquid shadows silence their screams / I smile at the moon chasing water from the sky / I argue with the clouds stealing beauty from my eyes" is way more intriguing then "Let me introduce my brother / A bearded gentleman / Historian"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2011, 11:32:07 AM »
I thought the band has stated that "Under a Glass Moon" was intentionally supposed to be pretty WTF, both musically and lyrically.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2011, 01:12:26 PM »
I came

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
I saw.  I conquered.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline unklejman

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »
I thought the band has stated that "Under a Glass Moon" was intentionally supposed to be pretty WTF, both musically and lyrically.

I always pictured UAGM as the thoughts of some one falling in and out of sleep in a car on the side of the road on a rainy night. Hm.

Nervous flashlights = headlights going by

Liquid shadows = shadows created from drizzling rain on the windows.

Etc....

Strange interpretation I know.   :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »
I guess that's why the song is so incredible.  :metal

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
I feel that JP's lyrics went from beautiful yet baffling fantasy nonsense to rhythmic and realistic accounts of life.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2011, 05:52:23 PM »
Which are told using the most boring descriptors and phrasing possible.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »
Why was JM barred from writing lyrics?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »
Why was JM barred from writing lyrics?

He wasn't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:36 PM »
I feel that JP's lyrics went from beautiful yet baffling fantasy nonsense to rhythmic and realistic accounts of life.
That's just the stage from Systematic Chaos to Black Clouds.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2011, 06:36:52 PM »
Tuscany's lyrics may be silly, but man...the phrasing and the melodies are brilliant.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »
True. I was thinking more of WDADU though. :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2011, 07:14:59 PM »

:lol

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2011, 07:17:28 PM »
You get rusty after ten years.

LOL I'll say... it's weird to know that the man who wrote "Under a Glass Moon" wrote "THE SOLDIERS IN THE WINE"
To be honest, those are my favourite lines in that song. The ones before the MP vocals I mean. I thought they were pretty cool and creepy when I heard them.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2011, 07:20:08 PM »
The best way I can put my feelings about Petrucci's lyrics these days is that they aren't as... Creative.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:48:54 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »
@LLTWM: When the MP vocals come in, it turns me off a little. It just sounds funny.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2011, 08:14:57 PM »
@LLTWM: When the MP vocals come in, it turns me off a little. It just sounds funny.
Yeah my thoughts. But prior to that is cool.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:09 PM »

I like those WTF songs!!! of course in a very good WTF non-sense!  :rollin
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Ħ

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2011, 09:26:26 PM »
ITT: People think that nonsensical = creative
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
It actually takes creativity to put together phrases which sound cool when spoken or sung, but which do not make literal sense upon closer inspection.  The music in "Glass Moon" is similar; a lot of crazy stuff going on that doesn't really follow a form or build up to anything, but sounds cool anyway.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2011, 11:49:51 PM »
The best way I can put my feelings about Petrucci's lyrics these days is that they aren't as... Creative.

Or should we say, they're not as abstract...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2011, 08:26:30 AM »
It actually takes creativity to put together phrases which sound cool when spoken or sung, but which do not make literal sense upon closer inspection.  The music in "Glass Moon" is similar; a lot of crazy stuff going on that doesn't really follow a form or build up to anything, but sounds cool anyway.
Thing is, if it sounds cool but sounds nonsensical, that's for some reason vastly preferable to when it sounds cool but is a bit literal/straightforward.

I don't really have a preference either way, I like both, and each to their own I guess. But it's quite funny seeing people trying to explain why one is supposedly so much better than the other.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2011, 08:32:40 AM »

I actually have no idea what this acronym means. o_O
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2011, 08:42:16 AM »

Or should we say, they're not as abstract...

That can be part of it! But even simple, straightforward stuff can still be creative. These days his stuff is very... Forgettable. Not much that sticks in my head.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2011, 08:50:54 AM »
Some of it might be pretty stupid (the Bearded Gentlemen verse basically) but The Count Of Tuscany is pretty creative.

Edit: And on thread subject, I am looking forward to this, but John Myung lyrics don't automatically make a good song. Learning To Live and Trial Of Tears are awesome but they'd still have been awesome if Petrucci had written lyrics for them.

Offline j

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »
Thing is, if it sounds cool but sounds nonsensical, that's for some reason vastly preferable to when it sounds cool but is a bit literal/straightforward.

Nah, cool-sounding nonsensical lyrics are preferable to uncool literal/straightforward ones.  The argument is that a lot of DT's more blunt, literal lyrics don't even "sound cool".

-J

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »
I was mostly responding to Ħ's claim that "People think that nonsensical = creative".  Literally throwing together jibberish and hoping it works doesn't take much creativity, but actually making it work does.

The classic prog example is Yes lyrics, especially in the 70's, which sound really cool and rhyme and have a great rhythm to them, but make no literal sense.  Jon Anderson claims that they're poetry and he'll explain them to you, but Steve Howe and Chris Squire were also there and they don't know what the hell it means, other than that they were all stoned as hell at the time.

And how do you pronounce Ħ anyway?