Author Topic: JMX lyrics confirmed!  (Read 25425 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: JMX lyrics confirmed!
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
I'm very glad to see Myung has returned to having a role as a lyricist (or has been allowed to return to having a role as a lyricist).  Everything he's penned has proven to be a the highlight of its respective album, IMO, and I won't be surprised it it proves true for the new album.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 01:33:46 PM »
He's going to write one about being bossed around by MP.

It will be called The Ass Prison (featuring balls).

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »

Sounds like the beginning of a 5-song-concept-suite.  One that I am in complete favor of.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »

:lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 01:43:02 PM »

Sounds like the beginning of a 5-song-concept-suite.  One that I am in complete favor of.

The Ass Prison
This Dying Hole
The Booty of All Evil
Incontinence
The Splattered Toilet
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 01:45:07 PM »
I don't think it's weird.  I think it is telling, and reinforces the belief of many who thought Portnoy was behind that silly rule that stopped Myung from contributing lyrics.  If it is true, and Myung lyrics do appear on the next album, I think it is more than reasonable to assume this.

Or...perhaps it instead reinforces the belief of many who took JM at his word when he said several months before Mike announced leaving the band that he planned to write some lyrics in the future.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2011, 01:50:20 PM »
It is possible he was going to write regardless of MP's status.

Either way. :that one dancing in your seat excitedly emote:

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 01:53:06 PM »
I don't think it's weird.  I think it is telling, and reinforces the belief of many who thought Portnoy was behind that silly rule that stopped Myung from contributing lyrics.  If it is true, and Myung lyrics do appear on the next album, I think it is more than reasonable to assume this.

Or...perhaps it instead reinforces the belief of many who took JM at his word when he said several months before Mike announced leaving the band that he planned to write some lyrics in the future.

Where did this come from?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »
I don't think it's weird.  I think it is telling, and reinforces the belief of many who thought Portnoy was behind that silly rule that stopped Myung from contributing lyrics.  If it is true, and Myung lyrics do appear on the next album, I think it is more than reasonable to assume this.

Where did this come from?
Interview, circa the end of the BCSL tour. Think it was for a Dutch bass magazine?

The confirmation's the exciting thing, though. "Yeah, I could write some lyrics soonish" got us a bit pumped, but I think we took it with a pinch of salt at the time. Now it's full steam ahead. SO psyched.

EDIT: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=4931.0

As originally posted by - oh, how embarrassing, it's me!

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »

Yep. It's definitely more reasonable to assume.

In fairness to MP, it could also be that DT really want to please their fans with this next album, and JM lyrics is a great way to do that. JP might have been like, "Yo. JM. You probably have some unused lyrics saved. Let's use them". Or, JP maybe didn't want to do all the lyrics, so he was like, "JM, you gotta help me bro".

Lots of possibilities. Me, I would probably go with a combination of the three.

Likely this. Whatever the case, I am fucking pleased.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2011, 02:11:41 PM »
Yep, Jordan did confirm to me last night that John Myung wrote lyrics on the new album.  I asked him for any news he could share about the album like possible song titles, and he immediately responded by saying that Myung "is back to writing lyrics."  I'm pretty sure he then said "songs" plural, as in more than one song, but like I said in the other thread I was nervous and can't clearly remember his exact wording.  But just the fact that Myung's lyrics was the first thing that came to Jordan's mind when asked about the new album is pretty telling to me.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:25:38 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Aniland

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »
he immediately responded by saying that Myung "is back to writing lyrics."

Heheh, he knew what to say to distract a fan looking for answers.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »

The Ass Prison
This Dying Hole
The Booty of All Evil
Incontinence
The Splattered Toilet

If I didn't change my sig just moments ago, I'd make it this. Fine show.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
I don't think it's weird.  I think it is telling, and reinforces the belief of many who thought Portnoy was behind that silly rule that stopped Myung from contributing lyrics.  If it is true, and Myung lyrics do appear on the next album, I think it is more than reasonable to assume this.
I don't think it's appropriate to assume anything. The entire band dynamic has changed now and they've lost one of their main lyric contributors. Plus, months and months ago, before MP left, Myung had confirmed in an interview that he was going to contribute lyrics again.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but Myung contributing lyrics when he had already said that he intended to do so doesn't change a thing about whether we can assume it to be true or not.

We already have two threads where this has been brought up and another thread (DT11 speculations) that could easily be used for this as well. This thread is pretty pointless imo.
Actually, unlike most of Aniland's threads, this is something definitely worth discussing. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »
Let us remember that the band were hinting at JMX doing some lyrics again before Portnoy ever left the band.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
Plus, months and months ago, before MP left, Myung had confirmed in an interview that he was going to contribute lyrics again.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but Myung contributing lyrics when he had already said that he intended to do so doesn't change a thing about whether we can assume it to be true or not.

But like rob said, it's easy to pass off a statement like that when someone goes "yeah I'll contribute in the future", especially when they haven't done so in quite a long time and its been stated that the phrasing of their lyrics doesn't line up with the music some times. I know that Mike had reinforced that rule in commentary so give Kev a little credit. His assumption is more likely true than not.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »
I don't think there is any evidence to say it's more likely true than not, and in fact given statements prior to MP leaving I'd say the only bit of evidence points the other way.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »
I think the quality of JMX's lyrics might be one of the most agreed-upon aspect of Dream Theater by their fans.  At least by the fans in this community.

So, yeah, I Mangini'd, too, just like pretty much everyone else in this thread.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »
Something to consider: Myung has just so happened to have written some of the band's most loved and recognized songs. There's a very good chance that we may be idealizing way too much. I hope and have hopes that they will be awesome songs, but I think we're all going to imagine them to be top-tier stuff, when really, how often do top-tier things come about?

Nevertheless, BRING IT JM.

Offline j

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2011, 05:21:09 PM »
That's true, we are basing our excitement on a very small sample.

Still excited though. :biggrin:

-J

Offline jsem

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2011, 05:21:19 PM »
LTL, LSOAD, ToT, Fatal Tragedy.

A lot to live up to for sure.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
Mangini'd everywhere
I just Mangini'd my pants.
Hahaha! But seriously, me too :D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »
Guys, somebody write me up a good definition for the Mangini'd verb (picture can be included) so I can add it to our forum definitions.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2011, 05:46:24 PM »
Mangini'd -verb past tense - an explosion of pure joy as a result of something DT related

Offline Occasional_Madman

• A danger to myself
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
Best week for DT news we've had in a looong time.
Mangini'd all up in this bitch.
So many things I think about,
When I look far away
Things I know, Things I wonder
Things I'd like to say...

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2011, 06:15:34 PM »
Something to consider: Myung has just so happened to have written some of the band's most loved and recognized songs. There's a very good chance that we may be idealizing way too much. I hope and have hopes that they will be awesome songs, but I think we're all going to imagine them to be top-tier stuff, when really, how often do top-tier things come about?

Nevertheless, BRING IT JM.

He's had twelve years to come up with something good.  I think he'll do just fine.  :P

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »
This is undoubtedly good news, and adds further credibility to my suspicion that this album will be their best in years.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 02:45:53 AM »
:that one dancing in your seat excitedly emote:

I finally remembered that it's :caffeine:

No thanks to you guys.

Offline JPX

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »
It amazes me how profound people found LSoaD to put JM on such a high lyrical pedestal.
If anything I'm just happy that with MP gone, creative freedom seems wide open, but it ends there. I'd be happy if only JP and JLB wrote lyrics going forward.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 09:09:46 AM »
It amazes me how profound people found LSoaD to put JM on such a high lyrical pedestal.
If anything I'm just happy that with MP gone, creative freedom seems wide open, but it ends there. I'd be happy if only JP and JLB wrote lyrics going forward.

It's not just LSoaD, LTL and ToT have great lyrics as well.  FT's lyrics aren't on that level, but they're pretty solid.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2011, 09:31:45 AM »
Myung lyrics?!?!

I Mangini'd
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 09:33:07 AM »
I also love the lyrics for LSOAD, but what I've always loved that song lyrically after hearing JM talk about it once. (I have zero sources or links to this comment, so you can take it for what it's worth I guess.) But I once heard him say that it's about the relationship between a man and a woman and how they compliment one another.

I've always liked how he put it like that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2011, 09:59:39 AM »
Banny, I'm pretty sure it has literally been YEARS since I've seen you around.  What's up?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
Banny, I'm pretty sure it has literally been YEARS since I've seen you around.  What's up?

This.  (although he's been on MP.com)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »
Guys, somebody write me up a good definition for the Mangini'd verb (picture can be included) so I can add it to our forum definitions.

Mangini'd -verb past tense - an explosion of pure joy as a result of something DT related

Post that badboy on UrbanDictionary and get everyone here to give it the thumbs up!  ;D