Author Topic: Ten possible titles of DT11 I brainstormed this morning  (Read 9455 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ten possible titles of DT11 I brainstormed this morning
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
Here are some better working titles for the Eleventh DT album:

The Fans Who Waited
Resurrection of The Dream
The Beast Below
Don't Blink
The Eleventh Hour
Hello, Mangini
If There Is One Thing You Remember, Its That We Are Definitely Madmen Who Play Really Fast
We Play With Mangini Now, Mangini is Cool
Geronimo!
Nothing Says Extraterrestrial Like Mike Mangini
John Myung Will Fall

I might be watching a bit too much Doctor Who...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:14:28 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
The first concerts are set for the beginning of July; I really doubt that the album will be released by then, keeping in mind that post-production and promotion (the latter of which has been getting overlong over the past few years) will take at least two or three months.

Besides, the same thing happened for BCASL. A few warm-up shows with AROP being played, and the album being released during the first leg.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It's just me hoping since I'm seeing them in July.

Well, I wouldn't rule out the chances of getting at least one new song, most likely the first single. Also, you'll be able to see MM in action, that has to count for something as well. ;)
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »
But Eleven would be pretty cool, as long as it's not Virtual Eleven. *zing*
Metropolis 3: The Angel and the Gambler?   :rollin

On topic now, if the album proves to be a return back to the feel of I&W/A/FII, with 8-11 songs, and lots of group co-operation, why not something like Reflections, or the Reflection Pool?  Or if anything resembling a nugget is to be gone, then perhaps it could be something historical or political.  Something like Red Square (Russia during the fall of the USSR, and Russia now, 20 years later), or March of the Templar (The Crusades), or The Reign of Terror (French Revolution, anyone?)  Perhaps even All Quiet on the Western Front? (WW1 has plenty of lyrical potential for a song or 2)  I dunno, just throwing ideas out there.  (Actually, I think these titles would be better suited for songs, unless they'd be the title track)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 03:27:25 PM »
DT never struck me as a band that could use political/historical events for songs or albums, to be honest. That's rather something Iron Maiden would do, and I wouldn't put any of the titles you suggested past them.

I'd be surprised if DT took that road for naming songs/albums, but not really in a negative way.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Wasn't Black Clouds formally announced on February 14th? Four months and change from then is how I'm seeing it, seeing that we'll probably get the info this month about the record.

Offline Frosthawk

• Striving for futility
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 03:59:25 PM »
Dream Theater definitely has an unpredictable album-naming pattern. There aren't really any constants between how they name any of their albums. If I had to guess it would have something to do with moving towards the future, but that's pure speculation. But The Frozen Tears of Winter would be interesting, I always wanted to hear how Dream Theater would sound as a Finnish doom metal band.

I'd expect it to be a 40 minute epic, but 25 minutes of it would just be LaBrie repeating the chorus over and over again.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2011, 04:06:44 PM »
How about...

The Dance Of Eleventy ;)

Offline juice

• om nom nom

Offline robwebster

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 04:43:44 PM »
In Space No One can Hear you dream
I really like this one.

My vote's for The Eleventh Hour, though. I don't generally like it when a name is too self-referential - and how often does it actually happen? We usually spend about five months going "OH I BET ITLL BE CALLED DECAVARIUM" and then we get an album called Black Clouds & Silver Linings - but I'll make an exception here, 'cause it's a cool name and it's also my favourite episode of Doctor Who.  :hat

EDIT:
The Eleventh Hour
I didn't even read this. And when it did, it took me five or six titles before I realised it was all Doctor Who inspired. (The madmen one tipped me off.) Unanimous, then!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:51:43 PM by robwebster »

Offline jsem

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2011, 04:45:13 PM »
But Eleven would be pretty cool, as long as it's not Virtual Eleven. *zing*

On topic now, if the album proves to be a return back to the feel of I&W/A/FII, with 8-11 songs, and lots of group co-operation, why not something like Reflections, or the Reflection Pool?  Or if anything resembling a nugget is to be gone, then perhaps it could be something historical or political.  Something like Red Square (Russia during the fall of the USSR, and Russia now, 20 years later), or March of the Templar (The Crusades), or The Reign of Terror (French Revolution, anyone?)  Perhaps even All Quiet on the Western Front? (WW1 has plenty of lyrical potential for a song or 2)  I dunno, just throwing ideas out there.  (Actually, I think these titles would be better suited for songs, unless they'd be the title track)
Any one of those location names would make the new DT album title sound like a fantasy/power metal album. I don't want that.

Offline Aniland

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2011, 05:34:42 PM »
- A Mikemare to remember.

Seriously:

- Through the looking glass
- In dreams
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline PetFish

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »
It'd be interesting if they released a self-titled album in the Mangini era.  Makes the point pretty hard that this is still DT.

Exactly my thoughts and hopes.  After the whole "Dream Theater is never about one person" I really feel going with a self-titled title would really drive home that point and is the best way to go.  But it MUST be this one.  Doing it on the next or any future MM-era album wouldn't make any sense.  The only OTHER possible use for a self-title would be *IF* MP came back and they called THAT album "Dream Theater" but that may never happen so they should do it now.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »
Misleading thread title

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2011, 06:23:43 PM »