Author Topic: Mike Mangini recent recording (2008/2009) avaible on line  (Read 1757 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Mike Mangini recent recording (2008/2009) avaible on line
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:53:39 AM »
I haven't heard completely yet, but it seems a interesting one. It's a cd from a brasilian guitar player, called Daniel Piquê and it's for free download at: https://www.myspace.com/danielpiqueofficial.
On the matter, from all the recordings I've heard from Mangini, I recomend the two Mullmuzzler albuns most. Seems to me that the majority of the people here knows a lot more Elements of Persuasion, which I don't think is the best exemple of MM's drumming. It seems almost a different drummer on Mullmuzzler and Eop albuns... unfortunately the quality of the Mullmuzzler recordings, especially the drums sound, isn't that good, but I really think that MM performance on those records are great.

"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jamhet

Re: Mike Mangini recent recording (2008/2009) avaible on line
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 01:10:14 PM »
Thanks. I really enjoy this [music]. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:29:19 AM by jamhet »

Offline purpleplanet10

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 06:16:26 AM »
Also check out

Tribe Of Judah - Exit Elvis
Extreme - Waiting For The Puncline
Stave Vai - Alive In The Ultra World

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:02:01 AM »
IIRC, MM only played on half of the Waiting for the Punchline tracks, but it's usually obvious which ones they are because they include a few little tricks that I don't think Paul Greary could have pulled off. Off the top of my head, I think MM's tracks were There is No God, Hip Today, No Respect, Shadow Boxing...I don't remember the others.

Never could get into the Tribe of Judah stuff, though I'm a huge Nuno/Cherone fan. MM's drum tracks were brilliant but it's hard to appreciate the album as a whole.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:09:44 AM »
You’re welcome, jamhet!

Just for the record, MM didn’t play in As a Man Thinks off the first Mullmuzzler album and, in Waiting for the Punchline, he only recorded Hip Today, Leave me Alone and No Respect. In the Tribe of Judah album and Nuno Bettencourt solo, anybody knows what tracks MM recorded?

Alive in a Ultra World has fantastic moments, like Incantation and great improvisation stuff, but IMO the drums are a little restrained and buried in the mix. Of course is totally worth the listen.

About all the studio recordings MM did with Steve Vai, I do think they are really great to check it out: Bangkok/Fire Garden Suíte (Fire Garden), Jibboom, Windows to the Soul and Here I am (The Ultra Zone). Windows to the Soul has a beautiful and very different percussion approach.

Cheers
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:12:12 AM »
Mike only played on 3 songs from WFTP.   "Hip Today", "Leave Me Alone" and "No Respect"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Funkafonik

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 12:27:27 PM »
Just for the record, MM didn’t play in As a Man Thinks off the first Mullmuzzler album and, in Waiting for the Punchline, he only recorded Hip Today, Leave me Alone and No Respect. In the Tribe of Judah album and Nuno Bettencourt solo, anybody knows what tracks MM recorded?

On Nuno's Schizophonic, Mike played on Swollen Princess and Fine By Me.
As for the TOJ album, he plays on the whole album, except for songs Celibate, Ambiguous Headdress, My Utopia and 2+2. The other songs definitely have him playing, even if mixed with electronica.