Title

Yes
32 (39.5%)
No
27 (33.3%)
Don't care
22 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Do you want them to play WDADU songs next tour?  (Read 6119 times)

Offline IdoSC

Do you want them to play WDADU songs next tour?
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:02:23 AM »
I know it's a bit early to talk about songs in the tour, but I have a question I want to ask.

Do you want them to play WDADU songs? The last time they played songs from this album was the 20th anniversary tour. As far as I remember, only AFiL and Afterlife were played, and in the Train of Thought tour they played the whole album once, plus occasional songs every now and then.

Now, I know there's sometimes a complaint saying some fans don't know this album, or some fans would rather hear the new songs. But I do think most fans who can sing along with any other songs will actually know WDADU, and it'll actually be a unique experience to hear these songs.

Songs like Afterlife and AFiL are masterpieces from start to finish in my opinion. Plus, for example, The Killing Hand was a great song at first, though it's live interpretation made it far better. I really think those 3 songs deserve to be played, and other songs in the album might be interpreted as well as TKH did eventually.

So what do you think? :D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Do you want them to play WDADU songs next tour?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:04:18 AM »
Not fussed either way, which isn't an option in your poll. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:04:36 AM »
Although I highly doubt that it will happen (as far as I know, noone in DT - of course, I don't know about MM - is really fond of playing songs from their debut nowadays), I'd love to see OAMOT, Light Fuse And Get Away (with an atmospheric keyboard solo) or AFIL.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:05:37 AM »
Not fussed either way, which isn't an option in your poll. :P
Fixed, sorry XD

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:08:42 AM »
If The Killing Hand is played, with the whole '96-'02 section, my life will be complete  :hefdaddy

Seriously, I really hope something off When Dream and Day will get some space. It is a great album and deserves to be represented. In this tour Dream Theater will be doing something like re-introducing themeselves to the fans, to make everyone understand that they are still alive. I feel that their old music will have pretty much the same space that will be reserved for the "new" songs (TOT onward).
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline John94

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:16:43 AM »
I'd love to see The Killing Hand or The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:35:03 AM »
I don't want to hear any WDADU tracks any time soon, actually. The album does have its share of great songs, but so do some other albums. And guessing that shows won't be longer than two hours, lets not waste time on Afterlife when we can have Caught in a web, for example.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:37:06 AM »
Ytse Jam or Light Fuse and Get Away would be nice
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 09:46:09 AM »
And guessing that shows won't be longer than two hours, lets not waste time on Caught in a web when we can have Afterlife, for example.
Fixed  :lol
- Marco

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 09:59:37 AM »
I don't want to hear any WDADU tracks any time soon, actually. The album does have its share of great songs, but so do some other albums. And guessing that shows won't be longer than two hours, lets not waste time on Afterlife when we can have Caught in a web, for example.
I'm quite sure the band showed interest in doing An Evening With shows after the last tour was over, at least in some interviews.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »
I wouldn't mind them playing a few WDADU songs, though I can think of things that I'd rather hear them play. To Live Forever springs to mind, what a gorgeous song :')
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 10:22:07 AM »
To Live Forever springs to mind, what a gorgeous song :')

I like the way you think. :biggrin:

Mentlegen.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 10:33:15 AM »
Bwahahaha, good :') it's a bit of a hidden gem I think.
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline weddingnails

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 10:35:12 AM »
i hope they play ytse jam.but thats it
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die"

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »
Bwahahaha, good :') it's a bit of a hidden gem I think.

That's definitely true, it needs more love - so spread the word about how awesome it is. ;) One of the songs I'd absolutely love to hear in concert (in the '91 version, that is).

Mentlegen.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »
I wouldn't mind them playing a few WDADU songs, though I can think of things that I'd rather hear them play. To Live Forever springs to mind, what a gorgeous song :')
It is, but what is most incredible is the jam that almost always follows the song. Have you ever heard the TLF jam in Whaddayathink? (GDT) It is maybe among the top 10 DT live moments, in my opinion  :hefdaddy.

It's a shame that it can't be uploaded... it is a shining gem that deserves to be known by the majority of the fans!
- Marco

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »
I really hope they do.  It's such an underrated album.  Yet I worry it isn't too likely.  JP isn't a fan.  JR, JLB, MM probably don't have much of an attachment, and I'm not sure how hot on it JM is.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
That's definitely true, it needs more love - so spread the word about how awesome it is. ;) One of the songs I'd absolutely love to hear in concert (in the '91 version, that is).

I try my best to spread the word. Unfortunately for me, most of my friends aren't all too hot on DT, they're all Rhianna and Beyonce and Gaga and stuff...So yeah, if they listened to it their heads would implode from the pressure of the sheer awesomeness and I'm not that keen on the idea of killing my friends :')

It is, but what is most incredible is the jam that almost always follows the song. Have you ever heard the TLF jam in Whaddayathink? (GDT) It is maybe among the top 10 DT live moments, in my opinion  :hefdaddy.

It's a shame that it can't be uploaded... it is a shining gem that deserves to be known by the majority of the fans!

I haven't! I'm going to have to do some snooping around, see if I can't find it. It sounds good though!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »

I haven't! I'm going to have to do some snooping around, see if I can't find it. It sounds good though!

You will find it very hard, unless you are into mail trades... It is 7-8 minutes long and among the proggiest things DT has done (you don't see Jordan imitating the moo of a cow with his Kurz everyday, do you?).

- Marco

Offline j

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »
I really hope they do.  It's such an underrated album.

This.  Always good to hear some WDADU.

JP isn't a fan.

He's not? :-\

-J

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 11:30:39 AM »
Yes, that album is way too overlooked.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »
Yes, but I wouldn't count on it.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see less pre-1999 DT material played now.  Sure, some of the obvious classics from I&W will always be played, but I think songs from the other three pre-Rudess albums are gonna see a decline in the live sets.  Just a hunch.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »
I think WDADU songs and songs that heavily featured MP vocals will not be heard from much on Mangini's first tour with DT. That means he would have to likely learn the following songs as sort of a "master" repertoire:

I & W: All
Awake: All
ACOS: Hopefully yes
FII: HY, PS, LITS, TAMP, AL, TOT
SFAM: All
6DOIT: All except TGP, WIMH, TTTSTA
TOT: AIA, ES, SOC, ITNOG
OV: All except TROAE & NE
SC: ITPOE, FORSAKEN, TMOLS
BCSL: all except TSF & TBOT

That's about 60 songs that we could possibly see this tour, not counting the new album. Of those, there are probably 10 or 15 that we could count out based on their heavy rotation from the last 2 tours (PA, etc). So he'll need to have roughly 50 songs down pat by the time they start their headlining tours. This is my long way of saying I don't think they'll be WDADU songs.  :P

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 01:03:02 PM »
I think WDADU songs and songs that heavily featured MP vocals will not be heard from much on Mangini's first tour with DT. That means he would have to likely learn the following songs as sort of a "master" repertoire:

I & W: All
Awake: All
ACOS: Hopefully yes
FII: HY, PS, LITS, TAMP, AL, TOT
SFAM: All
6DOIT: All except TGP, WIMH, TTTSTA
TOT: AIA, ES, SOC, ITNOG
OV: All except TROAE & NE
SC: ITPOE, FORSAKEN, TMOLS
BCSL: all except TSF & TBOT

That's about 60 songs that we could possibly see this tour, not counting the new album. Of those, there are probably 10 or 15 that we could count out based on their heavy rotation from the last 2 tours (PA, etc). So he'll need to have roughly 50 songs down pat by the time they start their headlining tours. This is my long way of saying I don't think they'll be WDADU songs.  :P

First, no song in WDADU originally featured MP vocals I believe.
Second, you're way too close minded about that whole thing; JP could replace Mike, James could replace Mike if it's a lead vocal part or something, and alternatively they could just not sing it/let the audience "sing" certain parts. They're not gonna cut their song library in half just because MP left.

I'm worried about songs like ACOS, TBOT and The Mirror though. They feature personal lyrics written by MP, kinda like SDV and Kevin Moore; it took them like 17 years to play this.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 01:49:21 PM »
Really, whether I'd like to see WDADU songs depends on how JLB's voice is. If he can re-interpret the songs with all the extra highs like TKH '93 (which is my favorite DT song ever), then I'm all for it. If not, then, maybe Afterlife, but that's it. IMO, if your singer isn't in top form, the WDADU songs don't work well.

I echo the points made by others above regarding the low probability of it actually happening.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
There are only a few I would want to see performed again (namely Ytse Jam), but I don't think it will happen.  JLB, JR, and MM have no attachment to those songs, and JM and JP didn't really care for doing the older songs before; MP was the big proponent. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »
Only interested in Ytse Jam really.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 02:57:18 PM »
Ytse Jam with MM drum solo?

Offline Schleppy

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that most of the band wasn't hugely fond of the songs on WDADU, besides MP who had to push for them to agree to play all the songs on WDADRU.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »
Ytse Jam with MM drum solo?

I dunno if they'll actually give him a solo segment as soon as they start touring but yeah I would like that. Inside Ytse Jam, unless it's overly associated with MP in a sensitive way for the fans.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »
Nah... But Ytse jam is always welcome. One oldy I'd like to hear is "Don't look past me". It would be a nice opening song for a live set. An emotional touch.

And of course: "You, not me" once and for all.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »
I have a feeling they will give him a short solo. Derek and Jordan were both given solo spots when they joined the band.

And Ytse Jam seems like as good a spot as any.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 03:09:09 PM »
One oldy I'd like to hear is "Don't look past me". It would be a nice opening song for a live set. An emotional touch.

And of course: "You, not me" once and for all.
Don't Look Past Me has never been played live, so I certainly don't anticipate it now (although I would certainly love to see it).

And You Not Me has been played (albeit only a few times).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »
If I were to pick one song that they could play, it would most definitely be Ytse Jam.

A Fortune in Lies would be next, but other than that, nothing really, please.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 03:12:04 PM »
Should I add an option for "I only want one (or more) certain song(s)" and reset the poll?