Author Topic: I am really liking the feel of the group dynamic in DT now  (Read 3164 times)

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I am really liking the feel of the group dynamic in DT now
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:10:44 PM »
Something about the way all 4 guys are more outspoken, and taking the reins, is really great to see.

JP is assuming leadership and guiding the vessel that is DT. He is obviously the one that is leading the band now, but not in a controlling way...more in a way that is assertive but comfortable.

JR in his "supporting role" is very dynamic and connects with the fans with great videos. He speaks his mind with his experience and knowledge and is a driving force that meshes well with JP's more relaxed attitude. His videos have become a prominent part of his persona to us fans, and that can only be a good thing as he gives us all kinds of fun stuff to watch. He is probably the most outspoken of the bunch, and he communicates so very well...really makes up for the communication that MP had with the fans.

JLB is holding the face value of DT in a very good way by being calm but focused. He also interacts with the fans and keeps us updated on things, even if it is vague. I think a lot of people look to the singer as the face of the band, and JLB is maintaining that very well. Seems like he gets more respect these days as well.

JM seems to be more open from what we have seen in the doc. ReapWebster said it in another thread, that it really seems like this is a different environment for Myung, and I think it's bringing out something new in him. This is good since JM seems to work more behind the scenes and serves a great supporting role. Really excited to see how he will be on the coming album.

Really, it's awesome to see that the band IS capable without MP, and that DT is reliant on one person. The mix of personalities in light of everything that has happened since MP's departure really excites me as a DT fan, because they all seem so pumped and inspired. And MM is a great addition to the band, from what we have seen.

How do you guys feel about the group dynamic, from what we know? We don't see everything, but we can get a good idea. This is one of the things I have noticed the most since watching the doc this week. This band has such respectable members.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
Re: I am really liking the feel of the group dynamic in DT now
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »
I like that every thread is the same three or four things.

1.Band Dynamic Change
2.Excitement for New Album
3.Wildoer is Awesome, Mangini is Awesome, Priester is a Cool Guy Doesn't Afraid of Anything(but so sadface about it)
4.John Myung

Lol. I'm just joking man. I love that there is this much excitement everywhere. I also really dig that we have so many new registered users here. It's nice to see the community gropw

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:16:07 PM »
Nice post! :tup

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:16:54 PM »
Oh and I agree about everything you said. I really like the roles everyone has assumed.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 11:17:48 PM »
ReapWebster

YES! YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, your post was good.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 11:19:56 PM »
agree 100%...especially about the joy of seeing JM and also the leadership role of JP.  cool on so many levels

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:28:39 PM »
Oh and I agree about everything you said. I really like the roles everyone has assumed.

I agree with your agreement.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 12:22:54 AM »
I totally agree as well. It's great to see the band appear as a unity and adapting the dynamic to the current situation, with each member taking a role they're comfortable with.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 01:20:17 AM »
I thought it was funny how in the documentary, JR kept saying things to JP like, "Should we do some riffs?" Then JP would say, "Yeah, let's do some riffs." Or JR would say, "Should we start with the songs?" And JP would answer, "Yeah, let's get started on the songs."  :lol
It's like JR is Rasputin.  :D

Offline dongringo

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 01:33:24 AM »
Something about the way all 4 guys are more outspoken, and taking the reins, is really great to see.

JP is assuming leadership and guiding the vessel that is DT. He is obviously the one that is leading the band now, but not in a controlling way...more in a way that is assertive but comfortable.

JR in his "supporting role" is very dynamic and connects with the fans with great videos. He speaks his mind with his experience and knowledge and is a driving force that meshes well with JP's more relaxed attitude. His videos have become a prominent part of his persona to us fans, and that can only be a good thing as he gives us all kinds of fun stuff to watch. He is probably the most outspoken of the bunch, and he communicates so very well...really makes up for the communication that MP had with the fans.

JLB is holding the face value of DT in a very good way by being calm but focused. He also interacts with the fans and keeps us updated on things, even if it is vague. I think a lot of people look to the singer as the face of the band, and JLB is maintaining that very well. Seems like he gets more respect these days as well.

JM seems to be more open from what we have seen in the doc. ReapWebster said it in another thread, that it really seems like this is a different environment for Myung, and I think it's bringing out something new in him. This is good since JM seems to work more behind the scenes and serves a great supporting role. Really excited to see how he will be on the coming album.

Really, it's awesome to see that the band IS capable without MP, and that DT is reliant on one person. The mix of personalities in light of everything that has happened since MP's departure really excites me as a DT fan, because they all seem so pumped and inspired. And MM is a great addition to the band, from what we have seen.

How do you guys feel about the group dynamic, from what we know? We don't see everything, but we can get a good idea. This is one of the things I have noticed the most since watching the doc this week. This band has such respectable members.

I totally agree. One other thing that struck me about JM. He talked about how in the studio it felt like old times when he used to go to JP's house and write songs together. This implies that there was a block in the way of that dynamic. JM just seems to revived as do all of them. And Mangini, man, there shouldn't be any more dissing on him at all. JM said they were all on the same page when they picked him. That's enough for us fans to trust, no?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 01:50:11 AM »
Ah, and to think that only a few months ago, a lot of people felt that DT and their member-member relationships were deteriorating...

Its absolutely fantastic to see everything so positive and exciting!  :mehlin

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 02:08:44 AM »
Ah, and to think that only a few months ago, a lot of people felt that DT and their member-member relationships were deteriorating...

Its absolutely fantastic to see everything so positive and exciting!  :mehlin
Yeah, this.
I probably not be in mistake when I say that DT fans (OMG that's WE ;) ) are the most fans of the fans, you know what I mean ;) so many excitement in here, can't wait til excitement during days before and after new album being released  :tup

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 08:06:42 AM »
An important aspect I think is also that Frank Solomon has become immediately visible now. I think he is part of the band dynamic too, where the managerial tasks are firmly his, and the band is ... being a band.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 09:08:40 AM »
So no offense to MP, but maybe he was the one thing that needed to go.  Like how the Beatles started falling apart because Paul got too domineering which pushed John to become less involved, that sort of thing.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 10:53:47 AM »
I don't really see any substantial difference on the role of the remaining members compared with what they did before.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
I like that every thread is the same three or four things.

1.Band Dynamic Change
2.Excitement for New Album
3.Wildoer is Awesome, Mangini is Awesome, Priester is a Cool Guy Doesn't Afraid of Anything(but so sadface about it)
4.John Myung

Lol. I'm just joking man. I love that there is this much excitement everywhere. I also really dig that we have so many new registered users here. It's nice to see the community gropw
I've seen a list of subjects mentioned in DTF in your post, and I don't see Kevin Moore. :O

Anyways, I hope Mangini will fit in this dynamic as another voice talking to the fans, and as a musical contributor, to freshen things up a bit. Otherwise, love it.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 12:20:36 PM »
Great thread, agree with everything the OP said.  I'm really interesting to see what role MM will play in the bands dynamics, the way he will interact with the fans not only through fan interaction but playing live too.  I certainly think great times are ahead for Dream Theater and I'm really excited.  :)

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »
Ah, I can't wait what this fresh, reborn band will bring us in the coming months  ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »
An important aspect I think is also that Frank Solomon has become immediately visible now. I think he is part of the band dynamic too, where the managerial tasks are firmly his, and the band is ... being a band.

rumborak
It will be interesting to see the development of this angle.  I think there is a lot of truth here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 02:08:24 PM »

rumborak
It will be interesting to see the development of this angle.  I think there is a lot of truth here.
Same. One of the pros I've seen in Portnoy's departure was the possibility that the band members will wear...less "hats" than they, and mainly MP, used to.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »
I don't really see any substantial difference on the role of the remaining members compared with what they did before.

I don't think you've got any room to assess that, considering that we barely saw any of this side of the band when Portnoy was in charge.