Author Topic: So are 'New Drummer' Fans welcome?? long post sorry  (Read 5501 times)

Offline tobleronethree

So are 'New Drummer' Fans welcome?? long post sorry
« on: April 29, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
Hi everyone, hope i'm not clogging up your site with useless threads here.

Just want to express my joy and sheer excitement that you guys have accepted Mike Mangini into your family.

I have been a huge fan since he joined Extreme in '94, it was a slightly different scenario back then, Extreme fans were basically given a tiny article in a magazine reading that Paul had left the band and thier friend Mike Mangini has taken his place that's all we knew.

With Extreme he brought in a whole new dimension, He was pretty adament that he wanted to stay true to the songs as they were not broke and didn't need fixing, however still managed to give them his own flare, keeping to the original feel yet throwing in accents to the vocal lines, or whilst Nuno played a 5/4 groove over a 4/4 beat Mike would stick to the 4/4 on the record yet simultaneously discretely play the 5/4 groove on the hats, After seeing him tour with the guys & seeing his first clinic in Boston 1996 Playing crazy time signatures but making them sound and feel so natural, he expressed that he thought it was such a shame that it's hard for people to take in because the human brain is trained to count in 4/4 by songs we here everyday and it was almost like a goal to him to make a difference, i felt that Extreme were lucky to have such an amazing drummer and was excited of things to come.

A few years after Extreme split Mike and Nuno Bettencourt started a new project called Mourning Widows, however they played a kind of rehearsal gig 2 weeks into forming in London but Mike decided it wasn't for him which i thought was really sad.

However it wasn't until he joined Steve Vai where i just felt and noticed his true potential, his energy and skill was unreal, i remember him saying he got the gig because Steve had bet him that he wouldn't be able to play a certain Vai song so he went home learned it recorded it and sent it straight back to him. I saw him  with Vai 5 times on the UK tour i wen't purely to see Mike and it's something i will never forget.
Mike performed with musicians that were what he was al about, the connection he made with Steve and the band was mind blowing and it was then that i realised that he truly would have gone to waste with Nuno and Extreme even though he's my favourite drummer and they are my favourite band.

I will be honest with you, i did not know much DT material, i learned about them on the Vai tour and discovered Mike Portnoy through Mike M, hope you don't think i'm bragging or anything like that but as it's related i will mention that after the Vai tour Mikes Drum tech went on the DT tour and when i met up with him after DT's show in Wolverhampton UK, we all went for a curry at a resturant by the venue as DT were celbrating with a German fan who had won a competition and i tell you they were really showing him a great time. I felt very not worthy to be there and in a way i kind of wasn't.

So anyways my point being when i found out about this, you do not know how excited i was, as what i do know of DT this is what Mike is, it's what he's about and the fact he is now getting to do it with astounding musicians each on par with there levels of skill and musical ability, well DT have gained a new fan. I can only apologise for my lack of knowledge and ignorance towards thier music in the past, but this tour and Album i have a feeling are going to be the biggest part of my life this year and for years to come, i am truly thrilled.

The websites and fan pages have been an absolute pleasure to read and the huge turnaround from not wanting to replace Portnoy, to the 'reality' backlash to the documentery suspense and now the terrific and warm welcome you guys have given to Mike has been an absolute joy and what is exciting for me is that i don't even think we have seen the best of Mike's capabilities yet and this band are gonna bring it out in him and let it shine. I got my ticket for July and cannot wait!

There was no doubt in my mind that Mike is the right person and could not think of a better band for him to be a part of. His passion and attitude is truly 100% genuine for this, so i'm hoping you guys can bear with me as i discover the Dream Theater world.

p.s.I can not get enough of The Dance of Eternity any pointers to similar stuff would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Tobler

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: So are 'New Drummer' Fans welcome?? long post sorry
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:34:30 PM »
I _suppose_ we'll let you hang out here.   :)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »
Almost all of us love Mike!!! Welcome to the fanclub! So now go out and buy Images and Words, Awake, Scenes from a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and Black Clouds and Silver Linings!

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »
Probably check out their album Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory. It's the album The Dance of Eternity came from. You'll find plenty of similarities there, the whole album is fantastic.

That said, welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy yourself and the wonderful world of Dream Theater.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:41:17 PM »
'Ello! Absolutely thrilled to have you. I have very fond memories of discovering Dream Theater, and you've got all that yet to come. Massively envious.

I really hope you enjoy them, and Mangini's work with them. And I love the idea that as we're discovering what Mangini can bring to Dream Theater, you're gonna be discovering what Dream Theater can bring to Mangini. Either way round, it's going to be one hell of a combination. I'm psyched.

In the meanwhile, though, familiarise yourself with DT! And report back as often as possible. I'm looking forward to hearing how you take to them.

If you liked TDoE, by the way, then Scenes from a Memory is a good place to start. As far as individual songs go, you might want to try Fatal Tragedy, if you'd like to dip your toes in the water before taking the plunge. Similarly technical, and with a similar mood, but altogether something very different. Very unique song, but it represents the album on the whole slightly more faithfully than TDoE does.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:42:05 PM »
[post]

Dude, I love your enthusiasm and positivity.  If MM joining the band leads to more fans like you coming, it's another reason to be happy.  So, welcome!

When you say you want more songs like The Dance of Eternity, what aspect of the song intrigued you?  The technicality?  The production?  The rhythms?  Melodies?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:55:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure you'll be welcome, that's awesome that you are getting into DT from being a fan of Mangini.

To be honest a lot of DT songs have instrumentals that could be considered similar to The Dance Of Etenity (Metropolis Pt 1 from Images In Words in particular since TDOE and the entire album it's on are follow ups to that song), it depends on what parts of it.

But yeah get Scenes From A Memory, and then work your way through the rest of the albums from there. They are all amazing. I'd suggest Train Of Thought, Images And Words, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence and Black Clouds And Silver Linings.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:01:14 PM »
[Long cool post about Mike Mangini

Welcome aboard.  I think Reap' captured what I would want to say.

p.s.I can not get enough of The Dance of Eternity any pointers to similar stuff would be very much appreciated.

As has been said, the Scenes From A Memory album is a good place to start, as a lot of the musical themes that are in TDOE appear thoughout that album.  You may also enjoy the song Metropolis Pt. 1, from the Images & Words album.  Musically, it formed the basis for a lot of those musical themes, and you will hear a lot of references to it in TDOE.  If you like instrumentals, Erotomania from the Awake album probably has the most similar feel to TDOE.

Hope that helps in getting started.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »
Welcome... You have a whole lot of great music to catch up on!

Offline tobleronethree

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 09:18:32 PM »
Thanks everyone, i have already noticed that this forum is very impressive with it's control and subject focus unlike certain band forums, Yeah i have been meaning to get the Metropolis pt 1 & 2

I have part 2 downloading from itunes as we speak, i have the greatest hits album and the Score 20th anniversary live album as i love live albums, only had a few listens but as you may understand there is a LOT to take in, i'm preffering the heavier stuff and i'm glad i'm discovering JP man his he's got his own thing going on guitar wise, the bass sound is immense! i love the complexity and the cross overs of Dance, played so flawlessly that you don't realise how complex it is until you study it, you would think it's a 4/4 groove throughout it's so smooth. I'm not a drummer by the way, you will have to excuse the lame terminoligies.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »
Thanks everyone, i have already noticed that this forum is very impressive with it's control and subject focus unlike certain band forums
I see you have found the underside of Bosk's desk. :)

Welcome to the FORUM!!!!!

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »
welcome, glad to have ya

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 11:53:09 PM »
Welcome! And great choice with Score; it's easily the best live album. You won't be disappointed.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 12:00:02 AM »
It's easily the best live album.

I don't know about that--anything from the pre-JLB vocal rupture days (so LaTM, Live in Tokyo, and various bootlegs) are the quintessential DT live recordings for me. That said, Score obviously offers a much more diverse look at the band, and it's the best live document of DT since 1993 for sure.

In any case, to the OP, welcome!
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »
Great post. Welcome. Cool to have a different perspective on Mangini.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 12:14:47 AM »
 Chino welcomes you

Offline dongringo

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 01:46:15 AM »
Welcome to DTF! It's refreshing to have a Mangini fan discover DT rather than the other way around. Have fun here. This is the best time at DTF in the last year imo. The Mangini addition and the band positivity about their future says it all.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Mladen

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 04:16:59 AM »
It's interesting thing, I completely forgot about the possibility of some Mangini fans becoming Dream Theater fans. Welcome aboard, guys.  :tup

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 04:26:00 AM »
Great post man, looks like Mangini is not the only one being accepted into the family recently.  Welcome man.  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 04:33:20 AM »
Welcome, great post, and if you like live albums (I do too) check out Live At Budokan - on DVD, if possible, as the video quality is fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 09:47:11 AM »
GREAT POST.  GREAT ENTHUSIASM!

I was elated to hear of Mangini taking over the reigns of the great Portnoy.  And, I cannot wait for DT's next release.  Oh and PLEASE, check out these EPICS, A Change of Seasons and  title track "OCTAVARIUM"  as well as The Count of Tuscany"

You will be sold on DT.  WELCOME aboard matey!

:yarr

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »
Hi! Great post there!

As for getting into DT, it depends on what your style is, but the first album that I listened to was Scenes From a Memory, a great concept album, definitely in my top 3 of DT albums.

As far as individual songs go, I can't believe that people haven't recommended Learning to Live, great piece of music from a technical standpoint, from another one of my favourite albums, Images and Words. Plus, it has the infamous F# from James. Then there's Octavarium that has already been recommended. And if you really want to listen to an epic, and have a spare 40-something minutes to hand, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence shows off the band in all it's glory. Beautiful lyrics, great instruments and a vast array of different moods all used to convey a great message; simply magical.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »
As far as individual songs go, I can't believe that people haven't recommended Learning to Live, great piece of music from a technical standpoint, from another one of my favourite albums, Images and Words.
Well, that's my favourite DT song, but I'm always wary of making recommendations with DT. DT fans can never agree on what songs are good or bad, so making a recommendation is difficult!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 10:45:28 AM »
Well, that's my favourite DT song, but I'm always wary of making recommendations with DT. DT fans can never agree on what songs are good or bad, so making a recommendation is difficult!
Hmm...fair point, but lets face it, Learning to Live has an almost legendary status :')
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:50:48 AM by ariich »
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »
That's true, and it did win our DT survivor this year, for the first time ever! :D

Also I fixed your quote fail for you. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum yo!

Lesson #1: I am the coolest person here.

Lesson #2: SFAM is the best them.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »
That's true, and it did win our DT survivor this year, for the first time ever! :D

Also I fixed your quote fail for you. :P

DT survivor? I have a lot to learn.

And ta very much, I'm terrible with quotes.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 11:04:31 AM »
To answer the thread's title, I like to think new drummer fans and any other fans in general are as welcome as the new drummer himself :)

Offline N4Player

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
I apologize in advance if I am long winded in my response to this thread:

@ Tobler; I am riding your coat tails bro and officially joining this stellar community after the Mangini announcement. I have however been a frequent lurker here for several years. DT's music has consumed me and dominated my iPod for 3 years. As a massive fan of Nuno Bettencourt and Extreme, I too am thrilled with Mike Mangini joining the band. My exposure to Mike was also on Extreme's Waiting for the Punchline album tour. I was never more blown away by a drummer in my life. The little things he adds to existing songs, and the musical awareness he brings to new material is breathtaking. Add in his technical prowess and genuine personality, it is no surprise that he was DT's ultimate choice. Friends, you are in for a real treat on the next album and tour.

I won't get into the long details of how DT has affected me as a guitarist/musician, or why the heck it took me so long to give them the time of day they so richly deserved. I will say having seen them live twice in the past two years, I will never be the same. Black Clouds & Silver Linings and subsequent tour has made Dream Theater my favorite band and album, and on equal footing with Nuno/Extreme. Something I never thought I would ever say about any other band.

Tobler, you are about to enter an awe inspiring journey through the Dream Theater catalogue. A journey I have embarked on in recent years and have come away forever changed from. To quote Nuno's wise words in relation to Extreme, which apply to Dream Theater's music also, "It's not fast food, it's a fungus that grows on you." To make it short, here are my recommendations based on the songs or musical moments that made Dream Theater mean so much to me personally:

1. The Count of Tuscany
2. Get your hands on the Live @ Budokan and Score 20th anniversary DVDs.
3. Hollow Years (Live @ Budokan)
4. The Best of Times (end guitar solo especially)
5. The epic songs like Octavarium, A Change of Seasons, The Ministry of Lost Souls, In the Presence of Enemies.
6. Forsaken
7. Home
8. A Rite of Passage
9. Learning to Live
10. The Sprit Carries On (Live version from Score)

Since you mentioned The Dance of Eternity, definitely get Scenes from a Memory. You can't go wrong with that album. Also be sure to check out Liquid Tension Experiment (instrumental side project from several members of DT).

It's great to finally join DTF, I should have done it sooner!

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »
I _suppose_ we'll let you hang out here.   :)

Yup, welcome to DTF  :)

Hi! Great post there!

As for getting into DT, it depends on what your style is, but the first album that I listened to was Scenes From a Memory, a great concept album, definitely in my top 3 of DT albums.

As far as individual songs go, I can't believe that people haven't recommended Learning to Live, great piece of music from a technical standpoint, from another one of my favourite albums, Images and Words. Plus, it has the infamous F# from James. Then there's Octavarium that has already been recommended. And if you really want to listen to an epic, and have a spare 40-something minutes to hand, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence shows off the band in all it's glory. Beautiful lyrics, great instruments and a vast array of different moods all used to convey a great message; simply magical.

That's exactly the songs I would recommend, you've pretty much taken the words straight out of my mouth  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »
Welcome, N4Player!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
Reccomending single songs, In The Name Of God is a must among the epics like A Change Of Seasons, Octavarium, The Count Of Tuscany etc.