Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 129651 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)
« Reply #840 on: May 21, 2024, 08:38:59 PM »
I think in the future the Mangini era will be appreciated more than it currently is. Just thinking about those 5 albums; no Rush songs, Metallica songs, Opeth songs, Muse songs, or Pink Floyd songs. Just DT doing what they do best in their own style.

There's a lot of us that think quite highly of it now.

And I think people are forgetting how much complaining was done for SC and BC&SL.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #841 on: May 21, 2024, 09:41:14 PM »
Just thinking about those 5 albums; no Rush songs, Metallica songs, Opeth songs, Muse songs, or Pink Floyd songs. Just DT doing what they do best in their own style.
Ummmmmm..... off the top of my head, I know I heard a RED song (BMUBMD), several Rush songs (TLG, AFtR, BW, TT), a Yes track (ALLB), a Satriani-style solo piece (outro solo to ANB), a Megadeth/Metallica track (FItL), and a Deep Purple track (VK) on those albums. Maybe there’s some others I’m missing, too.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #842 on: May 22, 2024, 05:17:24 AM »
Ummmmmm..... off the top of my head, I know I heard a RED song (BMUBMD), several Rush songs (TLG, AFtR, BW, TT), a Yes track (ALLB), a Satriani-style solo piece (outro solo to ANB), a Megadeth/Metallica track (FItL), and a Deep Purple track (VK) on those albums. Maybe there’s some others I’m missing, too.

Well, I guess what I meant was entire songs being ripoffs of those bands. FITL has a Megadethy opening riff but they don’t go back to it and the rest of the song is just DT. Maybe it just hasn’t been as blatant to my ears. VK, I see what you mean but it’s actually only a bonus track.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #843 on: May 22, 2024, 06:04:38 AM »
I think in the future the Mangini era will be appreciated more than it currently is. Just thinking about those 5 albums; no Rush songs, Metallica songs, Opeth songs, Muse songs, or Pink Floyd songs. Just DT doing what they do best in their own style.

I disagree with that to some degree.  "The Looking Glass"....  I think the one thing you can say is "no Muse".  :)

EDIT:  Ninja'd by Scotty...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #844 on: May 22, 2024, 08:02:02 AM »

And I think people are forgetting how much complaining was done for SC and BC&SL.

Oh that’s me definitely. My favorite 5-album run from the band*. But we’re in the minority.

*albums like FII and SC ruin any other 5-album run I could make.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #845 on: May 22, 2024, 09:38:17 AM »
And Fall Into The Light doesn't sound like Metallica  :rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #846 on: May 22, 2024, 10:07:10 AM »

Very much so. People were bummed when MP left for sure, but I also think there was an implicit (sometimes explicit) feeling that MP's departure would lead to less qualities that people were frequently complaining about at the time. Aggressive vocals, overly heavy songs, etc. I remember the overwhelming sentiment on here was that they were "righting the ship" with ADTOE.

Now there seems to be this attitude on here that people being excited about Portnoy coming back is to Mangini's detriment, but I don't think that's the case at all. If anything I see a large amount of concern from fans on here about Mangini songs being forgotten in setlists. For the most part, I would say the last decade was pretty successful for Dream Theater and I don't think people are going to forget about a whole quarter of their career all of a sudden.

This. Maybe they broadcasted it less with Portnoy out of the band, but their knack for taking various influences from different bands did not change at all compared to when Portnoy was there imo.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #847 on: May 22, 2024, 01:22:50 PM »
And Fall Into The Light doesn't sound like Metallica  :rollin
You need to clean the wax out of your ears. That middle section smacks of the mellow part of Master of Puppets.  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: May 23, 2024, 12:35:21 AM »
Yeah. Hard to know what else to say to that. Swathes of the song are a love letter to Metallica.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #849 on: May 23, 2024, 03:50:08 AM »
Both to them and Ennio Morricone as well.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #850 on: May 23, 2024, 07:31:55 AM »
You guys are right, but I still like it a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #851 on: May 23, 2024, 12:11:46 PM »
You guys are right, but I still like it a lot.
As do I. And I like several of the other songs I cited, too. But to claim that everything in the MM-era was pure DT without showing any influences is untrue, which is what I was trying to point out.

Offline emtee

« Reply #852 on: May 23, 2024, 01:24:12 PM »
Great song. I love it.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #853 on: May 23, 2024, 01:35:13 PM »
As do I. And I like several of the other songs I cited, too. But to claim that everything in the MM-era was pure DT without showing any influences is untrue, which is what I was trying to point out.
You did a great job of it. I could mention some other things as well btw. I guess the difference is that MP era nicking from other artists and bands was conducive to what MP found hip at the time. :D

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: May 24, 2024, 12:20:27 AM »
Great song. I love it.

Yeah, me too. I think it's a real standout on the album. Love the breakdown.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #855 on: May 24, 2024, 12:35:32 PM »
Oh, of course.  You're exactly right.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #856 on: May 25, 2024, 07:56:55 PM »
When we talk about different drummers.

All drummers should be considered.

https://youtu.be/1DdWXaYg1-Y?si=i5xaHXrXLQhJUHYW

They mention all I mean about drummers.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #857 on: May 26, 2024, 05:49:23 AM »
Also, just to defend my point, it should be noted that JLB hasn’t been SINGING like Hetfield, Mustaine, or that Muse guy during the Mangini era. That’s part of it too.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #858 on: May 26, 2024, 06:11:39 AM »
Also, just to defend my point, it should be noted that JLB hasn’t been SINGING like Hetfield, Mustaine, or that Muse guy during the Mangini era. That’s part of it too.

I haven’t thought about that. Hasn’t he been recording his vocals separately in Toronto for the majority of the recent albums?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #859 on: May 26, 2024, 03:59:31 PM »
Yeah most of them. He did for Dramatic Turn, The Astonishing, D/T and View

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #860 on: May 27, 2024, 11:25:36 AM »
Yeah most of them. He did for Dramatic Turn, The Astonishing, D/T and View

I thought James was in the studio with the band for Distance Over Time. Or maybe he was just there for the writing and then went home to record.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #861 on: May 27, 2024, 11:26:22 AM »
I thought James was in the studio with the band for Distance Over Time. Or maybe he was just there for the writing and then went home to record.

IIRC, that's what he did.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #862 on: June 06, 2024, 03:01:14 PM »
Yes he did.