Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 121581 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)
« Reply #770 on: January 29, 2024, 02:20:35 PM »
They actually did if I'm not mistaken (them and Mike Keneally), must have been around 1993/1994 (shortly after Frank died very untimely)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #771 on: January 29, 2024, 02:59:02 PM »
It's unlikely for me to be able to ever understand why that happened.
While we may never know for certain, the two posts quoted in CrystalStars' post here may help (as they did for her, someone who became a DT fan during the MM-era and has had some difficulty accepting the fact that MM is gone now):
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58684.msg3079597#msg3079597
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #772 on: January 29, 2024, 05:46:11 PM »
My wish would be for Mike for Steve Vai to call him again, since he was Steve's greatest drummer (him and Vinnie Colaiuta). One can dream. I'm eternally grateful for his service to DT, he shouldn't have been let go. It's unlikely for me to be able to ever understand why that happened.

Agree 100% with what you said.

I am a huge Steve Vai fan and always loved the MM-era drums and live energy. That is how I first heard about him (this is my favorite MM drum solo, which is absolute lunacy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe8XKgOuNtk) though I never followed Mike's other work and never imagined he would be in DT one day.

I find Steve's current drummer a bit boring, though he's been there forever and I get why Steve likes him. I don't know what Mike and Steve's relationship is like now but for some reason I always got the sense they don't have much of one any longer.

As far as DT is concerned, replacing MM is a top 3 all time musical mistake in my DT book, but we'll see if I change my mind when DT16 and beyond come out.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #773 on: January 30, 2024, 01:23:23 PM »
Yeah that one is what I'd consider to be a classic solo.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #774 on: January 31, 2024, 08:11:28 AM »
My wish would be for Mike for Steve Vai to call him again, since he was Steve's greatest drummer (him and Vinnie Colaiuta). One can dream. I'm eternally grateful for his service to DT, he shouldn't have been let go. It's unlikely for me to be able to ever understand why that happened.

I mean this with the utmost respect, but why do you have to understand it?  It's not you, it's not your decision, it's not your band, it's not your life.  There's a lot of things in this world I don't understand, but you can wrap yourself around the axle in trying to understand it. 

At some point we have to accept that other people have agency and free will and they are allowed to make the decisions they see fit.  That's all the understanding we need.

Offline gborland

« Reply #775 on: January 31, 2024, 08:50:01 AM »
I mean this with the utmost respect, but why do you have to understand it?  It's not you, it's not your decision, it's not your band, it's not your life.  There's a lot of things in this world I don't understand, but you can wrap yourself around the axle in trying to understand it. 

At some point we have to accept that other people have agency and free will and they are allowed to make the decisions they see fit.  That's all the understanding we need.

Totally this. The band made the decision they felt was in the best interest of the band. There's nothing else to understand.
Graham Borland

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: January 31, 2024, 09:57:44 AM »
I can't speak for Max, of course, but I imagine autism might play into the need to understand for some.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #777 on: January 31, 2024, 10:40:43 AM »
I can't speak for Max, of course, but I imagine autism might play into the need to understand for some.
I agree. Once Max shared that detail, it helped me to better understand some of the things he posted as well as his decision to leave this forum at the time.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #778 on: January 31, 2024, 11:35:22 AM »
Yes, I'm quite sure it does (not that I'd fully know but yes)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #779 on: January 31, 2024, 01:19:57 PM »
Not sure I did the math correctly, but I think Jordan Ruddess was in Dream Theater longer with MM than he was with MP. Is that right?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #780 on: January 31, 2024, 01:21:42 PM »
Not sure I did the math correctly, but I think Jordan Ruddess was in Dream Theater longer with MM than he was with MP. Is that right?
I believe that is right.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #781 on: January 31, 2024, 01:31:28 PM »
Yes. MP era Jordan was 1999-2010 (11 years) and MM era Jordan was 2010-2023 (13 years), which made MM era DT their longest serving lineup in their history (which btw was another aspect of why I was dumbfounded by MP rejoining, but that's just an aside, not a slight on anyone)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 01:47:15 PM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #782 on: January 31, 2024, 02:31:17 PM »
Yes it's going to take a couple years for the new/old lineup to catch up with the MM lineup in tenure.

Also, as a fun fact, Jordan has been in the band for almost the same time as MP already (around 25 years) but is in one more studio album than Mike.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #783 on: January 31, 2024, 02:50:50 PM »
Yes. MP era Jordan was 1999-2010 (11 years) and MM era Jordan was 2010-2023 (13 years), which made MM era DT their longest serving lineup in their history (which btw was another aspect of why I was dumbfounded by MP rejoining, but that's just an aside, not a slight on anyone)
My speculation - and to be clear, this is purely speculation - is that MP rejoining the band was primarily a business decision. Not to say there weren't other factors, but if I had to pick the leader, I'd put my money there. The surge they're going to get in record sales, tour attendance, and just general relevancy will be significant, even if just for one cycle.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #784 on: February 01, 2024, 01:26:03 AM »
My speculation - and to be clear, this is purely speculation - is that MP rejoining the band was primarily a business decision. Not to say there weren't other factors, but if I had to pick the leader, I'd put my money there. The surge they're going to get in record sales, tour attendance, and just general relevancy will be significant, even if just for one cycle.

100 percent agree. And based on (some) feedback i've seen, the attendance on the last tours hasn't been so spectacular. So from a business (and age) perspective, it is a move that puts DT in another cycle of renewed interest, especially from older fans.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #785 on: February 01, 2024, 05:30:51 AM »
All the more reason they need to put out a real banger of an album. I still remember what a buzz SFAM created back in the day on various forums. I hope they'll take their time with it and really craft it into something special. I liked the last couple albums well enough, but I'm not much of a fan of the MP-style 'just go into the studio and bang the album out in a couple of weeks' approach.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #786 on: February 01, 2024, 05:32:25 AM »
Neither am I (regardless of which band or artist btw) and this is one of the reasons I rarely ever go back to D/T. (nor any MP era album)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 05:47:42 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: February 01, 2024, 06:39:19 AM »
Not sure why MP alone gets so much heat for this.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #788 on: February 01, 2024, 06:48:10 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, it's because he was the most vocal about working like this as if it were something to be proud of. Not just with DT, but with Sons of Apollo, too, for example. One could tell...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: February 01, 2024, 07:00:21 AM »

It's crazy how fast that time has gone by, at least to me.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: February 01, 2024, 07:09:16 AM »
What's crazy (to me) is that I became a DT fan in 2007, and MP left in 2010. That's just three years of him being in the band while I was a fan. Still it seems way longer, while the MM years just kinda flew by.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #791 on: February 01, 2024, 07:15:30 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, it's because he was the most vocal about working like this as if it were something to be proud of. Not just with DT, but with Sons of Apollo, too, for example. One could tell...

This is obviously perception and not necessarily fact, but IMO Mike took a quantity over quality approach when it came to albums, specially during his years outside of DT. He would give the impression that he thought the busier he got and the more simultaneous things he had to juggle, the better for him; and that's not always true.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #792 on: February 01, 2024, 07:16:26 AM »
What's crazy (to me) is that I became a DT fan in 2007, and MP left in 2010. That's just three years of him being in the band while I was a fan. Still it seems way longer, while the MM years just kinda flew by.
Yeah, well, my teens felt like a century, my twenties felt like a reasonable amount of time, my thirties feel like they barely started and I'm nearing the halfway point. I fully expect each decade to pass way faster than the one before. All I can hope for is to have a good time.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #793 on: February 01, 2024, 07:22:05 AM »

This is obviously perception and not necessarily fact, but IMO Mike took a quantity over quality approach when it came to albums, specially during his years outside of DT. He would give the impression that he thought the busier he got and the more simultaneous things he had to juggle, the better for him; and that's not always true.
It seems like such a waste and a misplaced effort. You spend weeks on writing the album, but proceed to devote months or even years of your life to tour that very same album. Yeah, one costs money, the other one makes money. But maybe that return on investment could be worth it, if you made a really special album. Although with the rock / metal market nowadays...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: February 01, 2024, 07:35:13 AM »

And yet... there are probably at least three (Flying Colors, Innocence And Danger, The Grand Experiment) maybe more (Testimony 2, The Similitude/Great Adventure)  are better - to me, my opinion - than anything DT put out post-2010. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #795 on: February 01, 2024, 08:10:30 AM »
It seems like such a waste and a misplaced effort. You spend weeks on writing the album, but proceed to devote months or even years of your life to tour that very same album. Yeah, one costs money, the other one makes money. But maybe that return on investment could be worth it, if you made a really special album. Although with the rock / metal market nowadays...
While I won't disagree that the quantity over quality approach was generally how he handled things, don't forget that in general that's how MP is with things. He doesn't like to overthink things and prefers a much more spontaneous approach believing that by overthinking, more damage can be done than good. I agree that may be the case sometimes, but the opposite can also be true, too. I just hope that if he continues that mentality, that he'll help encourage the band to move past the whole "write only enough material for an album" mentality instead of following their muses to see what might develop if they keep on going.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #796 on: February 01, 2024, 11:41:45 AM »

And yet... there are probably at least three (Flying Colors, Innocence And Danger, The Grand Experiment) maybe more (Testimony 2, The Similitude/Great Adventure)  are better - to me, my opinion - than anything DT put out post-2010.
because they are easier to digest to you (more emotional, far less technical than MM era DT), in my case it's the very opposite that is easier to digest :D  Neither of which is inherently a bad thing by default.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: February 01, 2024, 12:18:32 PM »

because they are easier to digest to you (more emotional, far less technical than MM era DT), in my case it's the very opposite that is easier to digest :D  Neither of which is inherently a bad thing by default.

No, I get that; I'm just putting a data point out there that "banging out an album" has a bad rap around these parts. There's no guarantee that taking double the time means that this is album is twice as good.  I think there's a law of diminishing returns sometimes with studio time.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #798 on: February 01, 2024, 12:23:58 PM »
I should rephrase then: Almost all the albums I love were meticulously crafted. I'm not saying it can't work otherwise, but I'm not into doing things quickly and I can't mention any album off the top of my head (that I love) that was done quickly.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #799 on: February 01, 2024, 12:46:37 PM »
I'm just putting a data point out there that "banging out an album" has a bad rap around these parts.
It doesn't hurt to remember that both Awake and ToT were both written in about 3 weeks' time. While there might be some debate about the quality of ToT by a minority of fans, Awake is almost universally loved by the fan base.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #800 on: February 01, 2024, 01:27:05 PM »
I'm just putting a data point out there that "banging out an album" has a bad rap around these parts.
It doesn't hurt to remember that both Awake and ToT were both written in about 3 weeks' time. While there might be some debate about the quality of ToT by a minority of fans, Awake is almost universally loved by the fan base.
Yeah, it can be done and you can indeed catch lightning in a bottle, but typically, spending more time crafting the songs yields a better result. Of course it’s not as simple as twice the time - twice as good an album, more like twice the time - 10% better of an album. Sometimes, that extra 10% is worth going for.

That said, ToT was a sharp decline for me and marks the end of the golden age of DT. Although they put out their GOAT live album right after.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #801 on: March 06, 2024, 09:50:57 AM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #802 on: March 06, 2024, 10:22:01 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vRyn9dMLVg
Drum perfection  :hefdaddy

Without trying to start another pointless and endless debate, just wanted to say I'm going to miss that.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #803 on: March 06, 2024, 10:38:45 AM »
Yes, I understand. I missed MP in DT, but I'm sure I also will miss MM in DT. Let's just be happy that it happened.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: March 06, 2024, 10:48:32 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vRyn9dMLVg
Drum perfection  :hefdaddy

Without trying to start another pointless and endless debate, just wanted to say I'm going to miss that.

Not me  :rollin