Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 121535 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)
« Reply #735 on: November 08, 2023, 03:15:08 PM »
They could take a hint from Iron Maiden and keep both guitarists.

Also, for all the complaints James receives, Bon Jovi wishes he could still sing...... "as bad" (most fervent critics' opinion, not mine) as James!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #736 on: November 08, 2023, 05:49:45 PM »
They could take a hint from Iron Maiden and keep both guitarists.

Also, for all the complaints James receives, Bon Jovi wishes he could still sing...... "as bad" (most fervent critics' opinion, not mine) as James!

Truth. He did start using tapes to use as leads too. When he sings it, not only does it sound terrible, but he has to stand very awkwardly to sing anywhere near the melody. And by near I mean within the... not even ballpark but....city limits?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: November 09, 2023, 08:46:02 AM »
I havent seen Bon Jovi in maybe 6 years now, but I've heard he greatly declined after the pandemic.  Just another parellel to the DT situation, both bands have poor live vocals and both could use the splash of bringing back an original member.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #738 on: November 09, 2023, 09:11:06 AM »
I don't think there is much similarity in the situations with DT and BJ.  Sambora didn't leave on any bad terms at all, he left due to some personal and family reasons.  Whoever his replacement was was never taking his place, and I would be shocked if anyone in that fanbase would be outraged by Sambora returning, under any circumstance.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #739 on: November 09, 2023, 09:18:33 AM »
I don't think there is much similarity in the situations with DT and BJ.  Sambora didn't leave on any bad terms at all, he left due to some personal and family reasons.  Whoever his replacement was was never taking his place, and I would be shocked if anyone in that fanbase would be outraged by Sambora returning, under any circumstance.

I agree (other than the fact that it has been widely speculated that "personal and family reasons" is a euphemism for...other things; but even if true, that doesn't really change your overall point, which I again agree with). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #740 on: November 09, 2023, 10:36:54 AM »
I havent seen Bon Jovi in maybe 6 years now, but I've heard he greatly declined after the pandemic.  Just another parellel to the DT situation, both bands have poor live vocals and both could use the splash of bringing back an original member.

Really don't wanna debate JLB but JBJ is another level of poor performances. His voice is totally fried. It's bad.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #741 on: November 09, 2023, 11:14:53 AM »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #742 on: November 09, 2023, 12:17:52 PM »

Really don't wanna debate JLB but JBJ is another level of poor performances. His voice is totally fried. It's bad.

Yep.  The live clips I saw from last year were beyond atrocious, and it is so bad that a work friend who is a DIEHARD Bon Jovi (Jon Bon Jovi is her lifelong celeb crush) said after seeing them last year that she would never pay to see them again.  Her comment on his singing was, "It was really bad."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #743 on: November 10, 2023, 01:27:17 AM »

I agree (other than the fact that it has been widely speculated that "personal and family reasons" is a euphemism for...other things; but even if true, that doesn't really change your overall point, which I again agree with).
Also, the way he quit. Apparently he just went up and left in the middle of a tour with very little explanation, and they just assumed it would just be the rest of the tour, so they said he would not perform at the upcoming shows due to personal reasons.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #744 on: November 14, 2023, 01:10:52 PM »
Watching the Drummer Auditions for the first time since it come out. I'd forgotten how much of himself he put into his audition... bursting with energy, enthusiasm with power... like a man possessed. It's simply amazing to watch.

I'm glad he got the gig. All the best to him.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #745 on: November 16, 2023, 07:39:51 AM »
JBJ aging badly was very predictable. He was an extremely average talent even in his prime.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #746 on: November 16, 2023, 07:44:51 AM »
JBJ aging badly was very predictable. He was an extremely average talent even in his prime.

Setting aside your swipe at his 'talent' (not that I disagree), the thing that confuses me about JBJ is that, for the most part, the songs are not super challenging vocally. Or, perhaps it's better to say that, there are multiple vocal parts in most of those hits, and JBJ typically had the 'easiest' melody.

From the clips I've seen, it's like he simply couldn't find the notes. If I didn't know better, I'd say he had lost his hearing, bc it (and I am not trying to be crass) kinda sounds like what it sounds like when someone who is deaf tries to sing.

For a man that has 37 people and all the tech in the world on stage with him (hyperbole), you'd think there'd be a solution, but simply not acknowledging it almost makes it worse.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #747 on: November 16, 2023, 08:37:28 AM »
He doesn't have to worry about it, when you've crossed the border into that level of popularity the legions will eat it up no matter what. Taylor Swift is so popular that she could have a entire tour where she is struggling vocally and it just wouldn't matter. People are there to "see" her just as much if not more than to "hear" her.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #748 on: November 16, 2023, 09:15:30 AM »
He doesn't have to worry about it, when you've crossed the border into that level of popularity the legions will eat it up no matter what. Taylor Swift is so popular that she could have a entire tour where she is struggling vocally and it just wouldn't matter. People are there to "see" her just as much if not more than to "hear" her.

This. If people want to hear a perfect performance, they can listen to the records at home for free. They go to shows for the energy of a live performance. It’s why DLR is one of the greatest frontmen of all time. It’s not his singing talents. It’s his ability to connect with a crowd and bring an energy to the stage that very few can.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #749 on: November 16, 2023, 09:16:59 AM »

This. If people want to hear a perfect performance, they can listen to the records at home for free. They go to shows for the energy of a live performance. It’s why DLR is one of the greatest frontmen of all time. It’s not his singing talents. It’s his ability to connect with a crowd and bring an energy to the stage that very few can.

I'm totally on board with you both...that said, the videos I've seen don't flatter JBJ physically or vocally. But I'm not here to tell anyone who to see in concert. The sold out arenas obviously speak for themselves.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #750 on: November 16, 2023, 01:11:20 PM »

I'm totally on board with you both...that said, the videos I've seen don't flatter JBJ physically or vocally. But I'm not here to tell anyone who to see in concert. The sold out arenas obviously speak for themselves.

I'm not fully on board with this.  I love James - he's a big reason why I like DT, and listen to almost zero other prog metal - and I do not at all think he was only "average" in his prime.   Also, James is not Taylor Swift.  I'm not there just to see him and be seen.  I know it's a rock concert, and I don't need note perfect, but I think it's only fair that he at least sing in pitch.  it doesn't have to be the note that was on the record - revise the melodies if you want, improvise if you want - but if you do go for a particular note, it's not unreasonable to ask that you hit it.

When I saw him this last go round, he was largely IN tune and I thought he sang well; there were a couple moments though where I was like "what song was he singing?!?".   For better or worse, he recovered and it was never for any extended period of time.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #751 on: November 16, 2023, 04:59:02 PM »
They're talking about Bon Jovi, not James :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: November 17, 2023, 06:24:50 AM »

I misunderstood.   Sorry.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #753 on: November 17, 2023, 06:48:24 AM »

Is that why you feel abandoned even when the world surrounds you?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: November 17, 2023, 07:09:43 AM »

It challenges the essence of my soul. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #755 on: November 18, 2023, 08:33:07 AM »

It challenges the essence of my soul.

Does it leave you in a state of disconnection?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #756 on: November 18, 2023, 12:21:38 PM »
Got my Mangini CD in the mail today! If you pre-ordered it, be on the look out!

Offline emtee

« Reply #757 on: November 24, 2023, 12:54:44 PM »
Really dislike the vocalist. Just seems...off, grating, not sure how to explain it. Bottom line, I don't like it.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #758 on: November 24, 2023, 03:00:09 PM »
It's a strange album to be the restart of a career. Maybe because it was just made as a solo album by the then Dream Theater drummer.

To begin with, it's a solo album by a drummer, something we don't see a lot of out there. So you could imagine that the songs were constructed to give all the prominence to the drums, right? Wrong. The drums complement the other instruments (as is indeed the role of the drums).
Perhaps because it was composed by a drummer, the album is too rhythmic, syncopated, groovy. It lacks more striking riffs. If we add this to the fact that the vocal melodies are often similar, this makes the album a little tiring.
Majura's vocals are an interesting point: on the one hand, the way she sings seems to contribute to the feeling of having heard this before on this album. On the other hand, there is a personality there, it doesn't seem generic.

There are good moments throughout the album, but it's not a fluid listen. But I like the way Mangini plays on the entire album.

The positive point of the endeavor is the fact that it is a very brave album for an artist linked to prog metal/prog whatever. It's not the type of music we would expect from someone linked to this universe. Let's agree that, with the right people, it's not difficult to record a generic prog album and please the public (e.g. Temic). Mike did the unexpected. And that could be bad in the current context.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #759 on: November 25, 2023, 07:16:53 AM »
It's a strange album to be the restart of a career. Maybe because it was just made as a solo album by the then Dream Theater drummer.

To begin with, it's a solo album by a drummer, something we don't see a lot of out there. So you could imagine that the songs were constructed to give all the prominence to the drums, right? Wrong. The drums complement the other instruments (as is indeed the role of the drums).
Perhaps because it was composed by a drummer, the album is too rhythmic, syncopated, groovy. It lacks more striking riffs. If we add this to the fact that the vocal melodies are often similar, this makes the album a little tiring.
Majura's vocals are an interesting point: on the one hand, the way she sings seems to contribute to the feeling of having heard this before on this album. On the other hand, there is a personality there, it doesn't seem generic.

There are good moments throughout the album, but it's not a fluid listen. But I like the way Mangini plays on the entire album.

The positive point of the endeavor is the fact that it is a very brave album for an artist linked to prog metal/prog whatever. It's not the type of music we would expect from someone linked to this universe. Let's agree that, with the right people, it's not difficult to record a generic prog album and please the public (e.g. Temic). Mike did the unexpected. And that could be bad in the current context.

Bingo. I think it was in progress and the drummer changed occurred during construction.

The drumming is fantastic on the solo album. I don't love a lot of the melodies but I am enjoying it as a whole. Also happy to support an incredible musician who puts out quality work.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this comment: To begin with, it's a solo album by a drummer, something we don't see a lot of out there. So you could imagine that the songs were constructed to give all the prominence to the drums, right? Wrong. The drums complement the other instruments (as is indeed the role of the drums).

That is exactly what I observed too. You would think that with all MM's knowledge and technical prowess, a solo album would be full of 'look at me' self indulgence, but it is not. He clearly is thinking about the song as a whole in which the drums emphasize what the other instruments are doing. That is one of the reasons why I never understood the MM criticism that he was intruding on the other instruments in Dream Theater. I heard drum parts that were thoughtfully written to bring out what everyone else was playing. And indeed that is one of the roles of the drummer. It all made sense together. I am not a drummer but from knowing a few (and from taking music lessons for decades myself) I know that good teachers often ask you WHY you played what you played...and musical reason why is often tied to what the others in your band are doing at that moment.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #760 on: November 25, 2023, 08:11:12 AM »
I really liked the album. Sure the vocals sounds a bit unusual, especially in the verses, but it helps to add personality to the album. The drum grooves are all really nice and, say what you want, I loved the drums going crazy, following the guitar in the solo sections of EVERY song (in fact, the way the guitar solos were composed, I think it was the other way round). Some will say that "it gets old fast", but you don't see it in almost any other album ever released, so, to compensate, it's really cool to have at least one album full of it!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #761 on: November 25, 2023, 10:19:58 AM »

That's the thing. Mike wrote the album with the intent of doing something completely different to what he was doing (at the time) with DT, and that's what he said on interviews. The issue is that just when he was about to release it, he gets replaced in DT, and is now "stuck" with something that might not be his best work but it's always going to be the first thing he ever did after DT to the public.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #762 on: November 29, 2023, 03:46:45 AM »
Here's an interview with Dino Jelusick where he talks about his involvement with Mike Mangini's solo album - he recommended oe of the guitar players and was going to sing on the album as well, but his litigation with Frontiers stopped him from doing so. It's at the 12 minute mark, and he also talks about having long calls with Jordan Rudess and about congratulating MP on his return to DT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FgyuSvpadQ&t=1042s

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #764 on: January 02, 2024, 06:29:40 PM »
Mangini's back to teaching:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/mike-manginis-drum-mastery-unveiled-exclusive-in-person-masterclass-series-for-drum-enthusiasts/

Hopefully 13 years with DT has led to more demand for his teaching expertise. He seems like a great teacher and the reviews on ratemyprofessor appear to confirm that.  :)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #765 on: January 11, 2024, 01:39:41 PM »
Mangini's back to teaching:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/mike-manginis-drum-mastery-unveiled-exclusive-in-person-masterclass-series-for-drum-enthusiasts/

Hopefully 13 years with DT has led to more demand for his teaching expertise. He seems like a great teacher and the reviews on ratemyprofessor appear to confirm that.  :)
Dude, this is awesome (and hilarious)! It's so funny to see a former Dream Theater member on RMP.

As someone who graduated from college almost 12 years ago and has been taking college classes on and off since 2020, my opinion of Mangini genuinely improved when I saw that monster 4.8/5 rating. There are way too many terrible college professors who clearly don't care about their students (I've dealt with some recently). Basically every student review says that Mangini is awesome.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #766 on: January 15, 2024, 04:46:26 PM »
You know what's hilarious....

I just realized I got to see Mangini's final show with DT at the last date of the Dreamsonic tour. It's crazy though that when I first saw them on the tour for A View... I saw them at their first show since Covid in Phoenix, AZ. The last show I saw, which ended up being Mangini's last show with DT, was the last Dreamsonic date in Phoenix, AZ. Which is a great way for that entire tour to come full circle.

I am also glad I got to see the songs I did during these two tours. Getting to see The Ministry of Lost Souls, About to Crash and the Reprise, Solitary Shell, Losing Time, The Count of Tuscany, Answering The Call was a great treat for me as those are among my favorites I have always wanted to see live. Actually most of the non A View songs they played I was glad I got to finally see. I've seen Endless Sacrifice played on Gigantour but it was when I didn't really know much from the band, although I did know that song from watching Live at Budakon. Live at Budakon played a huge role in me getting into Dream Theater, so being able to see Endless Sacrifice was an awesome surprise since it was the first show and nobody had any idea what the Setlist was going to be. Mangini did an excellent job with that song and It was a fantastic hearing what Mangini would do with it, he did an awesome job and his fill after the solo's was neat.

Although I wish they would've continued on with him, It was great getting to be there and experience his final show with the band. And what better way to end his time than with The Spirit Carries On with the other bands on Dreamsonic playing with DT.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #767 on: January 29, 2024, 02:14:01 PM »
maybe he can get a job with those other bands

maybe DT was setting him up with those other bands as auditions for them since they'd be parting ways soon

the above post is my own speculation with no evidence
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #768 on: January 29, 2024, 02:18:09 PM »
My wish would be for Mike for Steve Vai to call him again, since he was Steve's greatest drummer (him and Vinnie Colaiuta). One can dream. I'm eternally grateful for his service to DT, he shouldn't have been let go. It's unlikely for me to be able to ever understand why that happened.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #769 on: January 29, 2024, 02:19:04 PM »
MM and Steve Vai should make a Frank Zappa tribute group and tour
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!