Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 121513 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)
« Reply #700 on: October 29, 2023, 07:27:00 AM »
Wow, I was referring to Kevin Cadogan, that was really the only lawsuit I was familiar with (and from what I read Jenkins was a real ass there). I didn't realize that there was more litigation with their manager.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #702 on: October 30, 2023, 08:49:40 PM »
Maybe post some details for those of us that don't use LinkedIn and cant look at that site? (maybe that's just me)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:09:31 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #703 on: October 30, 2023, 08:57:32 PM »
I liked what Mangini did in Dream Theater. I think he really pushed the music forward rhythmically and I think his approach to the music as more of a "glue guy" helped make things more balanced.

Sad to see him go and wish him the best of luck with whatever he does next.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #704 on: October 30, 2023, 09:59:50 PM »
Maybte post some details for those of us that don't use LinkedIn and cant look at that site? (maybe that's just me)

Second
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: October 31, 2023, 02:07:45 AM »
It's the profile of a Mike Mangini who's a: Logistics Professional, Passionate Learner and History Enthusiast in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #706 on: October 31, 2023, 03:07:23 PM »
Wow, I was referring to Kevin Cadogan, that was really the only lawsuit I was familiar with (and from what I read Jenkins was a real ass there). I didn't realize that there was more litigation with their manager.

The Cadogan "wrongful termination" lawsuit was filed while I was still in law school.  It lasted two years and, I think, went to trial, but it looks like there may have been a settlement before a decision was issued.  Apparently, there were actually two lawsuits - one in federal court and one in state court (not sure what the distinction was).

Then there was the insurance litigation.

Then the Godtland litigation.

Then the Fredianelli litigation.

Then the lawsuit against the former attorney.

AND, I just learned today that there was another lawsuit filed in October 2018 by Cadogan against Stephan Jenkins and the 3EB corporations (and a counterclaim against Cadogan).  Cadogan alleged that Jenkins failed to account to him for royalties earned on the 2017 anniversary re-release of the 3EB debut album and also royalties from SoundExchange.  Jenkins argued that Cadogan had given up all such rights in the settlement of the first Cadogan lawsuit.  The lawsuit was dismissed in August 2019 following a settlement.

It's staggering to think how much money Jenkins/3EB spent on litigation over the years.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: October 31, 2023, 11:12:38 PM »
Mike, this news is hitting me harder than it should. I was confident that the 4 guys would keep the DT ship running after MP's departure. Once I heard you were going to be the drummer, I knew the ship would run straight and true. And it did, producing 5 solid albums that most bands would love to have as their double-digit numbered releases. You are a significant part of their legacy and I hope you know how much joy you have brought to us over the years.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #708 on: November 01, 2023, 08:44:42 AM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #709 on: November 01, 2023, 08:46:42 AM »
Wow, what a class act. Seriously, the dude inspires me on multiple levels.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: November 01, 2023, 09:12:21 AM »
Just put it on now to listen, thanks for the link.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #711 on: November 01, 2023, 02:48:13 PM »
:rollin
So glad you're amused..
Honestly, looking back at it...I have no idea what that was for.

Which is kind of amusing, as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #712 on: November 03, 2023, 08:07:55 PM »
Any links of the Trunk/Mangini interview, or have any pertinent quotes come to light?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #714 on: November 07, 2023, 06:42:54 AM »
Now that I think about it, making a full album takes a while. From the writing, recording, mixing, mastering, printing and all of that. Most details have to be finalized for long time before it actually hits the streets, so...

With the album coming this week and assuming most details like liner notes and that kind of stuff have been done for a while, will the album have "thanks to my Dream Theater bandmates" on the liner notes? What a weird situation to be in :o
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #716 on: November 07, 2023, 08:21:32 AM »
Good to hear that the singles released aren't the best on the album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sfenster

« Reply #717 on: November 07, 2023, 10:01:33 AM »
I'm new to the forum.  I don't like firing Mangini just because Portnoy wanted back in.  He left DT high & dry when he quit years ago; he could very likely do it again.  Mangini to me has sounded better and his drums fit the soundscape better.  As for the other DT members, are you that callous?  Really had Mike's back, didn't you?  Sorry to say it, as I have enjoyed the DT music over the years, but I'm done with y'all. Buy your own tickets and music. 

Steve

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: November 07, 2023, 10:20:20 AM »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #719 on: November 07, 2023, 10:54:36 AM »
I'm new to the forum.  I don't like firing Mangini just because Portnoy wanted back in.  He left DT high & dry when he quit years ago; he could very likely do it again.  Mangini to me has sounded better and his drums fit the soundscape better.  As for the other DT members, are you that callous?  Really had Mike's back, didn't you?  Sorry to say it, as I have enjoyed the DT music over the years, but I'm done with y'all. Buy your own tickets and music. 

Steve
OK?

Bye?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: November 07, 2023, 12:56:19 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #721 on: November 07, 2023, 01:30:44 PM »

Steve

Well, for starters, Mangini wasn't fired.  So the premise for the rest of your post is completely off base.  Otherwise, not sure why you felt the need to post here to "tell DT off," or however you want to describe that.  And it certainly does not belong in a thread about thanking and saying farewell to Mike Mangini.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #722 on: November 07, 2023, 01:32:00 PM »
Making an account on a forum for a band just to say you're done with that band is pretty funny.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: November 07, 2023, 01:41:44 PM »
Making an account on a forum for a band just to say you're done with that band is pretty funny.

I have a friend that signed up for an account like almost 3 weeks ago and haven't been activated by the mods.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #724 on: November 07, 2023, 01:45:10 PM »

I have a friend that signed up for an account like almost 3 weeks ago and haven't been activated by the mods.

That's not even remotely true.  We have never been more than a couple of days behind on approving accounts.  He needs to check his email for the activation link.  Not to mention that that has nothing to do with this thread, and you could have sent a PM if you had anu questions or concerns.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: November 07, 2023, 01:59:02 PM »

If it were a joke, maybe.  If serious, kind of weird but not out of the norm for "social media" (not entirely sure if a forum counts). It's always amazing to me how some people go out of their way to say something negative. 

I actually don't even feel too differently than sfen, just not as extreme.  I feel bad for MM as a human in these circumstances.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #726 on: November 07, 2023, 02:13:24 PM »

Steve

I don't agree with anything you said, but that is the magic of human nature. Welcome to the forum!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: November 07, 2023, 02:22:54 PM »

That's not even remotely true.  We have never been more than a couple of days behind on approving accounts.  He needs to check his email for the activation link.  Not to mention that that has nothing to do with this thread, and you could have sent a PM if you had anu questions or concerns.

He sent me a screenshot of his inbox and there I saw he signed up on October 16th, 2023. He has checked his email account multiple times and not approval of it yet.

I posted it here, just to follow the convo of what the other guy said about someone just creating a post here to say he is done with the band.

Not remotely true? I guess not.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #728 on: November 07, 2023, 02:36:59 PM »

He sent me a screenshot of his inbox and there I saw he signed up on October 16th, 2023. He has checked his email account multiple times and not approval of it yet.

I posted it here, just to follow the convo of what the other guy said about someone just creating a post here to say he is done with the band.

Not remotely true? I guess not.

No, it's not true. There are literally zero new registrations awaiting approval. There are 5 awaiting activation by the users.

Regardless, as bosk says this is not the appropriate thread. If something seems not to be working, you can PM us or post in the Forum Suggestions board.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #729 on: November 07, 2023, 02:48:44 PM »
your friend should try checking his spam folder

i look forward to welcoming them to the forums! :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #730 on: November 07, 2023, 02:58:02 PM »
First, as ariich and I have now BOTH said, there are no pending requests.  All have been responded to.  I can't say for sure when his was responded to, but we generally get to them within a day or two.  If he hasn't found the automated approval link email, he should check his spam folder, as HS said.  That isn't the mods failing to respond, as you keep insisting is the case.

Second, as ariich and I have BOTH said, this thread is not the place for it.  If you continue to take the thread off topic and continue to slander the mods here, you will be asked to leave.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: November 07, 2023, 03:01:46 PM »
slander the mods? Where?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: November 08, 2023, 01:30:51 PM »
There's an interesting parallel brewing in the Bon Jovi world.

Apparantyl Ritchie Sambora is ready to come back to Bon Jovi, which may mean Phil X is on his way out.  Ritchie left in 2013 to be with his family more.  Phil X came in and kept the ship afloat and was on I think at least one album.  BJ isn't quite as active as DT in terms of making music.  But I expect the fans are going to go wild if they let Phil go so Ritchie can come back.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #733 on: November 08, 2023, 02:29:50 PM »

Apparantyl Ritchie Sambora is ready to come back to Bon Jovi, which may mean Phil X is on his way out.  Ritchie left in 2013 to be with his family more.  Phil X came in and kept the ship afloat and was on I think at least one album.  BJ isn't quite as active as DT in terms of making music.  But I expect the fans are going to go wild if they let Phil go so Ritchie can come back.

Jon has been quietly (?) setting the stage for that, I think. He's been on Howard a number of times talking about how he is the CEO of the corporation that is Bon Jovi and it's his job to keep it floating.  He's also said that he'd love to welcome Ritchie back in if it was on the right terms (not how I heard him say it, but close enough).   Honestly, I'm not nearly as close to the BJ situation as DT, but I think there's zero scenario of anyone saying "you know, we committed to Phil in 2013, so we're going to stand pat...".   MAYBE if it means Jon having to share control, but even then there are ways (look at Kiss).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: November 08, 2023, 02:36:13 PM »

Jon has been quietly (?) setting the stage for that, I think. He's been on Howard a number of times talking about how he is the CEO of the corporation that is Bon Jovi and it's his job to keep it floating.  He's also said that he'd love to welcome Ritchie back in if it was on the right terms (not how I heard him say it, but close enough).   Honestly, I'm not nearly as close to the BJ situation as DT, but I think there's zero scenario of anyone saying "you know, we committed to Phil in 2013, so we're going to stand pat...".   MAYBE if it means Jon having to share control, but even then there are ways (look at Kiss).

I'm not close to it either, and I agree with you, but there's certainly going to be some people who feel he was "fired" or whatever.  It's not exactly the same, but similar situations of bands doing what bands often do when they get older and have line up changes.