Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 121570 times)

Offline EPIC Outro

Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)
« Reply #630 on: October 25, 2023, 09:37:22 PM »

Did the band ever really consider MM a real member, or just a hired gun? I always considered him a full member. To hear the band basically say 'Thanks for getting us through this rough patch! Later!' feels like such a slap in the face. The guy was their drummer and he was damn good at it.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #631 on: October 25, 2023, 09:41:24 PM »

Did the band ever really consider MM a real member, or just a hired gun? I always considered him a full member. To hear the band basically say 'Thanks for getting us through this rough patch! Later!' feels like such a slap in the face. The guy was their drummer and he was damn good at it.

Yes.
Very disappointed by the band's statements.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: October 25, 2023, 11:33:42 PM »
yeah, but if you'd search for mike mangini, you'd get thousands of hits talking about the return of MP. great timing??

Again, what can he do? His solo album has been in the works for years, and it's finally ready to be released. AND, he just got fired, there's not much he can control there.

You do you, can't and won't tell you what to say or how to say it, but I will note for the public record, to call this a "firing" without any more details than we have is, in my humble opinion, irresponsible.  "Firing" has the implication of one-sided and based on some cause, some displeasure.  We - well, let me check that, I - don't know that there was anything of the kind.  For all we know, John was on the phone and said to his wife "man, I enjoyed playing with Portnoy; I can see someday having him back" and Mike overhearing it and saying "WOW, thank you for bringing that up first.  I've been meaning to find a way to tell you...."    Or, maybe, "Hey John, look this is hard, but I want to do a solo record and I want to teach again. I'm not going anywhere until you figure shit out, but if you've got anyone else in mind, I'm game for it."   John: "I know just the guy...."

Who knows, maybe Derek wasn't fired either :biggrin: :lol

I chuckled :lol

Stads and Bosk are right. We don't know the cold hard facts and we're never likely to. But given what we know of Mangini's character, I find it unlikely he left of his own volition. I think his reaction in Rodgrigo's interview supports that although I totally get that you can still be that emotional about something you've decided yourself to walk away from (I am that sort of person myself).

Edit: I've just seen MP's response to MM's Instagram post and yeah, that supports the idea that Mangini was let go. Either way, I have to agree Mangini has been very classy. Good on him.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #633 on: October 26, 2023, 04:29:32 AM »
Looking back, I think that once MP and JP decided to 1) play on JP's solo album and 2) bring back LTE, that was them testing the waters to see what a reunion would look like. MP and JLB making amends was also a HUGE part of this equation, since the two of them were still not in good terms after so many years. And I also believe (and hope) that they have been transparent with MM all along. 

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #634 on: October 26, 2023, 04:47:27 AM »
For all we know, John was on the phone and said to his wife "man, I enjoyed playing with Portnoy; I can see someday having him back" and Mike overhearing it and saying "WOW, thank you for bringing that up first.  I've been meaning to find a way to tell you...."    Or, maybe, "Hey John, look this is hard, but I want to do a solo record and I want to teach again. I'm not going anywhere until you figure shit out, but if you've got anyone else in mind, I'm game for it."   John: "I know just the guy...."
Come on, these scenarios are so absurd, it almost comes across as satirical. Just because we don't know what happened, doesn't mean that both scenarios (firing vs. mutual split) have the same chance of having happened. IMO the odds are like 9 to 1 that MM was nudged out of DT against his will.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #635 on: October 26, 2023, 04:52:28 AM »
Looking back, I think that once MP and JP decided to 1) play on JP's solo album and 2) bring back LTE, that was them testing the waters to see what a reunion would look like. MP and JLB making amends was also a HUGE part of this equation, since the two of them were still not in good terms after so many years. And I also believe (and hope) that they have been transparent with MM all along.

Other than any conditions on MP's role going forward, this was really the last shoe to drop.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #636 on: October 26, 2023, 05:37:53 AM »

Other than any conditions on MP's role going forward, this was really the last shoe to drop.

Exactly. And it seems from both of them that it was something that gradually built up. They were best friends the first few years in the band. A mix of LaBrie struggling and Portnoy’s ego inflating lead to bad blood. I’m glad they’ve worked it out. Portnoy seems to humbled and I’m sure he’s grateful to be back.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #637 on: October 26, 2023, 05:56:10 AM »
Just for the story, I remember JP when news broke out that MP was going to drum his solo album, that he immediately covered MM and he made fully clear that he will not lose his position in DT, so he stopped the speculations of MP returning..in retrospect I understand this, possibly he knew that DT was going to write the next album and he didn't want anything to be messing with it. But there was a built up for sure, whether in personal level with each member or with MP casually attending the band's concerts again.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #638 on: October 26, 2023, 06:05:38 AM »
Just for the story, I remember JP when news broke out that MP was going to drum his solo album, that he immediately covered MM and he made fully clear that he will not lose his position in DT, so he stopped the speculations of MP returning..in retrospect I understand this, possibly he knew that DT was going to write the next album and he didn't want anything to be messing with it. But there was a built up for sure, whether in personal level with each member or with MP casually attending the band's concerts again.

Yes, I remember that as well. It was a slow process that accelerated once LTE and Petrucci's solo album happened. From what I heard, MP tried to make amends with JLB through years and it didn't work out, ans then it finally did.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: October 26, 2023, 06:27:32 AM »
Thanks so much, Genie. You will be missed! I hope this departure is in order to fulfill your wishes, even if I have my doubts.

Thanks again.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #640 on: October 26, 2023, 06:55:06 AM »
For all we know, John was on the phone and said to his wife "man, I enjoyed playing with Portnoy; I can see someday having him back" and Mike overhearing it and saying "WOW, thank you for bringing that up first.  I've been meaning to find a way to tell you...."    Or, maybe, "Hey John, look this is hard, but I want to do a solo record and I want to teach again. I'm not going anywhere until you figure shit out, but if you've got anyone else in mind, I'm game for it."   John: "I know just the guy...."
Come on, these scenarios are so absurd, it almost comes across as satirical. Just because we don't know what happened, doesn't mean that both scenarios (firing vs. mutual split) have the same chance of having happened. IMO the odds are like 9 to 1 that MM was nudged out of DT against his will.

I'm not arguing with you. AT ALL.  I'm just saying that you don't know FOR SURE and anyone that tells you they do without talking to one of the principles is just speculating.  I think - and I'm not speaking for him (and we didn't talk about this personally) - the problem for Bosk IS all the speculating.  I said this yesterday; so many of us are concerned for Mike M. and his feelings, and I can imagine seeing people just assuming he was FIRED is potentially adding to any discomfort he may already be feeling.

Look, I have my feelings on the matter - and you might be surprised what they are - but they are just that, and I'm not pretending that the words uttered by the principles are anything more than they are: inconclusive.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: October 26, 2023, 06:57:31 AM »
Holy shit, he looked like he was about to start crying. He knew.

Boom. Nailed it.

Or he burped. Had gas.  That was my initial response when I first saw it and I'm sticking to that.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #642 on: October 26, 2023, 08:21:37 AM »
Another thing that makes me sad here is that Mike, again in Rodrigo's interview, said his solo album is in a completely different style because he wanted to do something different than what he was doing with DT because why make both sound the same when you can do both? But now he's not in DT anymore and many people are already dismissing his solo album because of the style he chose to write in.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #643 on: October 26, 2023, 09:17:14 AM »
Another thing that makes me sad here is that Mike, again in Rodrigo's interview, said his solo album is in a completely different style because he wanted to do something different than what he was doing with DT because why make both sound the same when you can do both? But now he's not in DT anymore and many people are already dismissing his solo album because of the style he chose to write in.

And I used that as the thumbnail for the interview!

The one question that made me uncomfortable was when I asked him why there were no songs penned by him on AVFTTOTW, and he said "I wasn't asked to present anything". That was the lightbulb moment for me during the interview where I thought "maybe he doesn't want me to bring up DT AT ALL". I carried on, and had a few more "colorful" questions related to DT, but decided not to ask them.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: October 26, 2023, 09:20:44 AM »

The one question that made me uncomfortable was when I asked him why there were no songs penned by him on AVFTTOTW, and he said "I wasn't asked to present anything". That was the lightbulb moment for me during the interview where I thought "maybe he doesn't want me to bring up DT AT ALL". I carried on, and had a few more "colorful" questions related to DT, but decided not to ask them.

That actually struck me as odd too (though I'm not suggesting I saw any of this coming).  Why would you have to be ASKED to contribute? Doesn't that sort of work against the entire model of a team pulling in the same direction?  Your shit may not be used, I give you that, but to need to be "ASKED"?   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: October 26, 2023, 09:22:10 AM »

That actually struck me as odd too (though I'm not suggesting I saw any of this coming).  Why would you have to be ASKED to contribute? Doesn't that sort of work against the entire model of a team pulling in the same direction?  Your shit may not be used, I give you that, but to need to be "ASKED"?   I'm not speculating on anything, nor drawing any conclusions, but it was a statement that stood out for it's need for context.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #646 on: October 26, 2023, 09:23:35 AM »
Definitely get sad vibes reading his official statement. He really seems to be doing himself a disservice regarding his role in the band. I can't imagine any of the other guys ever telling him he is there "just to play drums". He was far more important than that.

Thank you, MM, for keeping the band alive and in good shape for the past 13 years, for your extraordinary level of dedication and musicianship and for your humility and class in the wake of this groundbreaking change.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #647 on: October 26, 2023, 09:38:01 AM »

That actually struck me as odd too (though I'm not suggesting I saw any of this coming).  Why would you have to be ASKED to contribute? Doesn't that sort of work against the entire model of a team pulling in the same direction?  Your shit may not be used, I give you that, but to need to be "ASKED"?   I'm not speculating on anything, nor drawing any conclusions, but it was a statement that stood out for it's need for context.

Without trying to speculate too much given recent events... I think (my opinion) it's a combination of two factors:

1. He was still "the new guy" in some ways. He's talked many times in interviews about how his personality and upbringing make him conscious and respectful of everyone else around him. He's explicitly said he was taught "not to enter someone else's house and inmediately start looking in the fridge to see what he could grab". And that leads us to:

2. The way the band's structure was already set. And I'd say this is even less speculation because I remember Jordan also being asked about writing lyrics for DT in different interviews and he said something like "that wasn't something that was requested of me when I joined, so I never messed with that". He said the lyricists were pretty much defined when he stepped in, so that role didn't "need" anyone else to jump in.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #648 on: October 26, 2023, 09:56:12 AM »
Definitely get sad vibes reading his official statement. He really seems to be doing himself a disservice regarding his role in the band. I can't imagine any of the other guys ever telling him he is there "just to play drums". He was far more important than that.

Thank you, MM, for keeping the band alive and in good shape for the past 13 years, for your extraordinary level of dedication and musicianship and for your humility and class in the wake of this groundbreaking change.
In my eyes, Mike was 100% a full member of the band. I never thought of it as Dream Theater + Mangini. It was just Dream Theater.

In terms of how the band thought about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those "gradually, and then all at once" kind of situations. Like in 2013, Mangini was 100% a member of the band and Portnoy was never returning. Then in 2020, it was in the cards for Portnoy to maybe do a show with them one day. Then in 2022, it was in the cards for Portnoy to rejoin if Mangini left of his own accord. Then in 2023, the Dream Sonic tour underperformed and the band grew worried about the business side of things. And then... Portnoy was back.

Again, pure speculation. But it wouldn't surprise me if something like that happened.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: October 26, 2023, 10:01:32 AM »
Apparently I've never posted in this thread all this time. Which is shame for me to finally do so when MM's time with DT has come to an end.  I've always liked MM.  Always thought he was the best fit since they made that documentary (I wasn't familiar with him prior).  Thought he was great to watch live and always seemed personable and nice when watching him speak.  Even his comments about the situation have been with the highest respect. 

And as much as I think MP being back is probably best for DT, I can't help but feel a sadness for MM the person.  As far as I could tell, he was a full member of the band.  He may have always been a bit of an outsider being the newest member, but I was one for sure that thought DT would never replace him unless he wanted out. 

Sadly, there has been no sign to me that MM wanted to leave DT.  All the wording so far makes me feel like MM was let go, and I find that sad and unfortunate for the guy who's held the ship together and made some great music with DT.  I do hope he received a fair severance package from the band, which may have included an NDA to not bad mouth his previous employer. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #650 on: October 26, 2023, 10:09:00 AM »
My impression was always that Mangini and the rest were were more co-workers than friends.  Not saying he didn't like them all, or they didn't like him, but whenever Mangini talked about any of them, it was like he was talking about a business associate rather than a buddy.  That is not a bad thing, as many bands are more co-workers than friends, but I think it demonstrates the difference, as Portnoy is obviously great friends with both Rudess and Petrucci (not sure of the other two).

Online Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #651 on: October 26, 2023, 10:12:23 AM »
A huge THANK YOU, to Mike Mangini. Class act. The last two DT records with you, were my favorite DT records since Train of Thought.

For many years, Mangini said he wanted to be in a band, and Dream Theater was that home for him for 13 years. Whatever he does next, all of us Dream Theater fans owe him a debt of gratitude.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #652 on: October 26, 2023, 10:32:02 AM »
My impression was always that Mangini and the rest were were more co-workers than friends.  Not saying he didn't like them all, or they didn't like him, but whenever Mangini talked about any of them, it was like he was talking about a business associate rather than a buddy.  That is not a bad thing, as many bands are more co-workers than friends, but I think it demonstrates the difference, as Portnoy is obviously great friends with both Rudess and Petrucci (not sure of the other two).

Coworkers is the right word. And as much as we try to romanticize the bands we're fans of as "high school friends who found this incredible chemistry and started the band out of their friendship", they are co-workers who are there to make a living at the end of the day. Granted, DT with MP started in a more "organic" way, for lack of a better word, than when MM came in and they were already a well established act. But the bottom line is that they're business associates, no different than your colleagues in IT, Procurement, or Business Development. It's just that their roles are WAAAAAAAY cooler than the corporate world.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #653 on: October 26, 2023, 10:52:56 AM »

Agreed with this.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #654 on: October 26, 2023, 10:53:12 AM »
I really hope they did this in a respectful and fair way towards MM. Of course Mike Portnoy ‘belongs’ in this band. With all the relationships rekindled maaaybe even MM sees it that way? Any case, cool MP is back and I’m grateful to MM for some great music and five or so live shows I’ve seen with him.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #655 on: October 26, 2023, 10:55:27 AM »
My fault for never looking into the albums too much, but was MM ever credited with writing any of the music/lyrics since he's been in the band? 

How does that work with the future? If DT uses one of his songs on tour, does he get a royalty?

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #656 on: October 26, 2023, 11:02:03 AM »
My fault for never looking into the albums too much, but was MM ever credited with writing any of the music/lyrics since he's been in the band? 

How does that work with the future? If DT uses one of his songs on tour, does he get a royalty?

The only lyric he ever contributed I believe was Room 137, which I can’t see ever being played now.

However I believe he received shared music credits for the majority of tracks on DT12, D/T and View? I’m guessing he’d get his fair share for those.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #657 on: October 26, 2023, 11:04:27 AM »
As far as I could tell, he was a full member of the band. 

I do hope he received a fair severance package from the band, which may have included an NDA to not bad mouth his previous employer. 

All that kind of thing gets really murky in a band context.  I don't want to derail this and go too far off on a tangent, especially given the actual subject matter of the thread, as I don't want to distract from that.  But since this has come up a few times, here's a bit of insight:

Being a "full member" of a band kind of means different things in different contexts.  In terms of the "official" legal context, that means whoever legally "owns" and controls the band.  If we assume the band is legally set up as a corporation, that is whoever owns the shares of the corporation.  And whenever the corporation (band) takes an official action or makes an official decision, the decision is made based on a majority vote.  This is fairly simple and straightforward in a situation where, for example, you have a 5 person band and each member owns equal shares (20%).  Basically, you would need 3 members to agree in order to have a majority.  That gets tricky in a lot of situations where it isn't equal.  Let's say, for example, that after Kevin left, the band decided that the keyboard player role would be an "employee" role in the band rather than an "owner."  That doesn't necessarily say anything bad about the keyboard player's value in the band.  Just a corporate decision about "ownership."  That leaves 4 voting members.  That gets tricky in the event of a tie.  So maybe they decided that JP would be the tiebreaker, and they restructured so that JM, JLB, and MP each owned 24%, and that 1% that got taken from each of them went to JP, so he now owns 28%.  In the event of a tie vote, JP now breaks the tie, as anyone voting with him is now part of a 52/48 majority, in this hypothetical. 

But note that this does not necessarily impact other day-to-day things, like how much each member gets paid, or what their role is in the daily functioning of the band.  In terms of payout of dividends and other distributions that are tied to ownership, yeah, owners get paid those things according to their ownership percentage.  But that has nothing to do with salaries, bonuses, and other payments that the band can set to be whatever they want and can be equal, can be different based on different corporate functions the members have, and lots of other things.  In other words, ownership does not necessarily impact how much each person takes home at the end of the year.  It might.  But it might not, depending on how they decide to structure things.  And the ultimate compensation a band member gets may be based on LOTS of different things, including how much they contribute to songwriting, how active they are in managing corporate affairs (dealing with band management, marketing, etc. on a day-to-day basis).  You may have situations where a band member who contributes almost nothing from a songwriting perspective gets equal pay because they are good with the business side and are heavily involved in that.  You may have a situation where a bandmember gets a lot more than other members because he or she does a lot of EVERYTHING.  It just depends.  Lots of different ways to do things.

Now, as far as the day-to-day music-related stuff, whether or not someone is a full "owner" of the band doesn't mean they do or don't have equal musical or creative input, or a voice in everyday decisions.  A non-owner might even have a huge say in official decisions if the band's model is to decide things informally based on a consensus of the entire band, and then the actual owners get together when necessary to do a "straw vote" to approve whatever the entire group decided.  Again, there are lots of different ways this can play out.

With that context in mind, as far as Mangini's role within DT:  Again, I have no idea what his role was, either officially or unofficially.  It seems he had input in certain areas.  And he did not have input in others, whether that was his choice, the rest of the band's, or by mutual agreement.  Whether he was an "owner," I don't know, but even if he wasn't, that doesn't necessarily mean anything in the grand scheme of things, as there may be lots of reasons why he might not be.  For one thing, they would have had to decide whether a new band member coming in would be an owner or employee.  Or maybe a situation where the person comes in as an employee initially, and then there is a built-in option for that person to become an owner after a certain triggering event (such as the passage of a certain amount of time, or a certain number of albums/tours, or something else).  For another, the new member might not want to be an owner for any number of reasons.  Maybe he or she doesn't actually want to deal with any part of the corporate management.  Or maybe he or she does not have the cash on hand to be able to afford to buy in for however much those corporate shares are valued.  (side note:  I kind of laughed during the part in the Metallica documentary where they decided to hire Rob, and they made a huge deal out of offering him a huge signing bonus to join in order to show how "serious" they were about having him onboard as an equal member.  I suspect that what that was actually about was them just structuring the buy-in in such a way that they were paying him a bonus for him to then turn around and pay back to the corporation for his buy-in shares)

So with all that as background, I hope that provides context to the discussion that whether Mangini was a "full member" or a "hired gun" isn't really a simple issue.  It means A LOT of different things in different context, and the answer doesn't necessarily mean what we might think it means.  As for the ultimate answer:  I don't know what his status was, either officially or unofficially.  But there are lots and lots of reasons why he might or might not have had whatever status he had.  Whatever the answer was, it seemed to work for him and be something he was content with, and I'm sure he had at least some bargaining power and influence over what his role would be when he came onboard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: October 26, 2023, 11:12:35 AM »
Oh for sure there's a lot more detail than just "in the band" DT are long from the days of just a group of friends making music.  It's a corporation and there's a lot of other people part of the umbrella of DT that rely on the band to make money too.  I don't expect to ever know the details.  It's not very common for such details to be shared publicly similar to how we don't openly talk about our personal salaries here in the US.  But it doesn't change the fact that I, personally, do feel like he was let go and it makes me sad to feel that way. 

My father was also let go from his job (this is a few months back now) and it gives me parallel feelings.  My father (or MM) wasn't owed anything, but you do feel bad for when you put in the effort, you do all the right things, you keep the ship afloat, and then one day they ask you not to come back. It's tough.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #659 on: October 26, 2023, 11:16:33 AM »
Yeah, I hear you.  I honestly don't know whether I feel bad for him or not, or whether I should, just because I have no idea of exactly what happened.  Because, again, it could have gone down a LOT of different ways, and for all we know, he had a major voice in the decision and is perfectly fine with it (or was possibly even moving in that direction himself).  I don't know how he feels about it, so I'm not sure how I should feel "for" him, if that makes sense.  I just feel silly assuming anything.  And that's compounded by some of what I wrote above, because a band is such a strange hybrid of "running a business" and "getting together with a group of guys to jam."  That looks very different from the types of work arrangements most of us are used to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #660 on: October 26, 2023, 11:51:41 AM »

Seeing them at JP's solo shows was amazing, you could feel that they had that connection again. Coincidentally, I thought to myself, I wonder if this will lead to something.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #661 on: October 26, 2023, 12:00:43 PM »
Thanks bosk. That was very well laid out and really quite i formative.  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #662 on: October 26, 2023, 04:28:09 PM »
(side note:  I kind of laughed during the part in the Metallica documentary where they decided to hire Rob, and they made a huge deal out of offering him a huge signing bonus to join in order to show how "serious" they were about having him onboard as an equal member.  I suspect that what that was actually about was them just structuring the buy-in in such a way that they were paying him a bonus for him to then turn around and pay back to the corporation for his buy-in shares)

..something along these lines. They called it an "advance" in the film.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #663 on: October 26, 2023, 05:25:03 PM »
One of the questions I had for MM which I decided not to ask because I could tell he wanted to avoid DT in the interview was related to that scene with Metallica and Trujillo. The question was "Famously, Rob Trujillo was paid 1 million dollars as a signing bonus when he joined Metallica. Did DT write you a check as well?". It was obviously intended as a joke, but in hindsight, it was probably for the best that I didn't ask...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #664 on: October 26, 2023, 05:32:17 PM »
:rollin  Yeah, in hindsight, I am SO glad you didn't ask that!