Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 121459 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)
« Reply #595 on: October 25, 2023, 02:20:11 PM »
Mike Mangini: Humble. World-class drummer. Helped DT through a very difficult time in which they could have straight up collapsed. Went out with a killer album in AVFTTOTW. :metal

Thank you, sir, for a great run. :heart
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #596 on: October 25, 2023, 02:26:05 PM »
that makes this a weird time for MM to do interviews knowing they'll ask about DT.

He's promoting his soon to be released solo album.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #597 on: October 25, 2023, 02:27:27 PM »
that makes this a weird time for MM to do interviews knowing they'll ask about DT.

Maybe he realised that when he almost chocked up on that question, and that that's why there's no new interviews with him yet. Now he can freely talk.

This interview was posted two weeks ago, and.. let's just call the very end..awkward.

https://youtu.be/mNho3MTahtE?si=6ufLqGVRAZYbUvqM&t=2046
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #598 on: October 25, 2023, 02:28:41 PM »
yeah, but if you'd search for mike mangini, you'd get thousands of hits talking about the return of MP. great timing??

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #599 on: October 25, 2023, 02:31:19 PM »
i didn't really listen to his music but i consider myself blessed all the same for having mangini in my life because so many people have horrible abusive stepdads but mangini was nice and did his best to establish a relationship with me. i could never bring myself to call him dad and i feel a little guilty for that but i am grateful to him for being a brother to my uncles for a decade. gracias dude
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #600 on: October 25, 2023, 02:32:04 PM »
yeah, but if you'd search for mike mangini, you'd get thousands of hits talking about the return of MP. great timing??

Again, what can he do? His solo album has been in the works for years, and it's finally ready to be released. AND, he just got fired, there's not much he can control there.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #601 on: October 25, 2023, 02:35:35 PM »

Maybe he realised that when he almost chocked up on that question, and that that's why there's no new interviews with him yet. Now he can freely talk.

This interview was posted two weeks ago, and.. let's just call the very end..awkward.

Do we know that interviewer? He's not here, is he?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #602 on: October 25, 2023, 02:36:33 PM »

He wasn't really there either.. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: October 25, 2023, 02:38:03 PM »

Again, what can he do? His solo album has been in the works for years, and it's finally ready to be released. AND, he just got fired, there's not much he can control there.

You do you, can't and won't tell you what to say or how to say it, but I will note for the public record, to call this a "firing" without any more details than we have is, in my humble opinion, irresponsible.  "Firing" has the implication of one-sided and based on some cause, some displeasure.  We - well, let me check that, I - don't know that there was anything of the kind.  For all we know, John was on the phone and said to his wife "man, I enjoyed playing with Portnoy; I can see someday having him back" and Mike overhearing it and saying "WOW, thank you for bringing that up first.  I've been meaning to find a way to tell you...."    Or, maybe, "Hey John, look this is hard, but I want to do a solo record and I want to teach again. I'm not going anywhere until you figure shit out, but if you've got anyone else in mind, I'm game for it."   John: "I know just the guy...."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #604 on: October 25, 2023, 02:38:47 PM »
Agreed.  I posted that in the other thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #605 on: October 25, 2023, 02:40:26 PM »
Also, although my focus has been on the other thread this morning, I feel it necessary to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Mike Mangini's time in DT and what he brought to the band, both as a musician and a person.  I enjoyed hearing and seeing him play, enjoyed meeting him a few times, enjoyed how he singled out my son during a sound check and gave him a drum stick, and most of all, appreciated seeing him hit on lonestar's date at an after show. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: October 25, 2023, 02:42:00 PM »

Now that you say it, all the awkwardness was from him. He was horrible.  And nice fake backdrop. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #607 on: October 25, 2023, 02:58:18 PM »

You do you, can't and won't tell you what to say or how to say it, but I will note for the public record, to call this a "firing" without any more details than we have is, in my humble opinion, irresponsible.  "Firing" has the implication of one-sided and based on some cause, some displeasure.  We - well, let me check that, I - don't know that there was anything of the kind.  For all we know, John was on the phone and said to his wife "man, I enjoyed playing with Portnoy; I can see someday having him back" and Mike overhearing it and saying "WOW, thank you for bringing that up first.  I've been meaning to find a way to tell you...."    Or, maybe, "Hey John, look this is hard, but I want to do a solo record and I want to teach again. I'm not going anywhere until you figure shit out, but if you've got anyone else in mind, I'm game for it."   John: "I know just the guy...."

Who knows, maybe Derek wasn't fired either :biggrin: :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #608 on: October 25, 2023, 02:59:55 PM »

Mangini: what if nobody likes it?
Interviewer: True

For fuck’s sake.  :facepalm:
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #609 on: October 25, 2023, 03:11:31 PM »
- Todd Rungren

Who did Todd Rundgren replace, in what band?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: October 25, 2023, 03:14:04 PM »
- Todd Rungren

Well, that one might be a stretch:  he was in The New Cars, so he sort of replaced Rik Ocasek.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #611 on: October 25, 2023, 03:19:01 PM »
- Todd Rungren

Well, that one might be a stretch:  he was in The New Cars, so he sort of replaced Rik Ocasek.

Ah OK.  Makes sense.  When I saw him a few years ago, he had the keyboardist from the Cars with him.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #612 on: October 25, 2023, 03:28:46 PM »
I will say I was never a big fan of Mangini's style, but there is no denying that he handled the DT drum position with tons of talent and the utmost class. He also seems like a wonderful human being. I wish him the best in his future endeavors.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline JRuless

« Reply #613 on: October 25, 2023, 03:42:07 PM »
A huge thankyou mr. Mangini! For delivering memorable and out of space drumming (moments) with DT. Everytime I play TSF from BTFW I smile from ear to ear rewinding the amazing Jordan solo drumming and the stunning one hand fill at the end.  :eek :hefdaddy.
Moments. Memories. Master. Mike. Mangini.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #614 on: October 25, 2023, 04:00:00 PM »
Thanks for so much great music and performances, Mike. You were amazing.  :tup

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: October 25, 2023, 04:04:34 PM »

You beat me to it  :rollin :rollin :rollin
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #616 on: October 25, 2023, 04:08:34 PM »
ouch... :sadpanda:
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #617 on: October 25, 2023, 04:11:41 PM »
Thanks for everything Mike! I had the pleasure of seeing you at 6 shows, and meeting you in 2014! You were gracious and kind to my awestruck "just met my idols" 15 year old self Some of the fondest and greatest musical memories of my life. Looking forward to seeing what comes next for you, and hope to see you behind the kit at a live show again someday.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #618 on: October 25, 2023, 04:23:49 PM »

You beat me to it  :rollin :rollin :rollin

The police or FBI are chasing the interviewer or something like that?! :rollin
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Kocak

« Reply #619 on: October 25, 2023, 04:24:03 PM »
https://prnt.sc/sYL4wvUkSAeH

MP's comment on MM's Instagram post.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #620 on: October 25, 2023, 04:55:18 PM »
Mad props to Mangini.  He was in a tough spot, but always handled it well and never spoke out of turn.  We don't know the exact details of how this change came about, but he is handling it in a very classy way so far.  The band did really good work during his tenure.   :tup :tup

Offline brother2

« Reply #621 on: October 25, 2023, 04:58:54 PM »
Never got why MM was singled out for lacking MP's feel and passion or for being machine-like. I mean, this is the same band that kicked out Sherinian to bring in JR -- but that's another discussion.

Man, I'm going to miss him. Tracks like AVFTTOTW, Illumination Theory and Pale Blue Dot are probably the best displays of drumming I've heard in DT. Not to disparage MP, who is an incredibly gifted musician in his own right, but MM's otherworldly.

There's a silver lining in all of this, though. MP's on-stage presence and enthusiasm is second to none, and he's going to help draw huge crowds and provide an amazing live experience. While I don't think he can replicate every single MM track, I'd love to hear his take on songs like Fall into the Light and Breaking All Illusions.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 08:55:44 AM by brother2 »

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #622 on: October 25, 2023, 06:04:46 PM »
I do feel conflicted. Mangini has such passion for his craft and he seems like a really humble guy, not to mention his drumming in all these years with DT was incredible. I really, really wish him the best in all his future endeavors.

Portnoy on the other hand has a unique stage presence and his closeness to his fans is simply amazing, even if he has been a little bit more distant in the later years (Can't blame him tho.). He really adds to the Soul of the band. Not to mention he's definitely playing the Twelve-Step Suite+ACOS in tour soon: I don't think he'll let that chance pass. I really really can't wait to hear what he brings to DT after all these years.

I for one will miss MM. Again, I wish him the best and I'm thankful for the killer songs, albums and moments he helped the band build. ADtOE and D/T specially, with a special mention to The Astonishing.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #623 on: October 25, 2023, 06:46:01 PM »
I'm glad the dude's gotten so many positive comments thrown his way today, at least.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #624 on: October 25, 2023, 06:52:21 PM »
I won't "miss" MM for one second because of my adoration of MP, but the man is CLASS PERSONIFIED and I hope his future is VERY bright and prosperous! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #625 on: October 25, 2023, 07:40:44 PM »
Thanks and I will Miss the Genie in DT.
And she listens openly

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #626 on: October 25, 2023, 07:41:24 PM »
He elevated DT's sound to a level never heard before in the band's history and sadly that time is over and it'll never happen again.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #627 on: October 25, 2023, 07:47:47 PM »
Thanks MM!

Offline mariner

« Reply #628 on: October 25, 2023, 07:56:12 PM »
Thanks to Mike Mangini.  What a classy guy and absolutely insanely great drummer.  I am sorry that there isn't a way to have both of you drumming in DT, but...

I am stoked beyond belief to see Mike Portnoy back in DT.  Perhaps we will get Second Score in 2025!  Can't wait to hear new music from them!

Insanely great news!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #629 on: October 25, 2023, 09:23:00 PM »
Never got why MM was singled out for lacking MP's feel and passion or for being machine-like. I mean, this is the same band that kicked out Sherinian to bring in JR -- but that's another discussion.

Man, I'm going to miss him. Tracks like AVFTTOTP, Illumination Theory and Pale Blue Dot are probably the best displays of drumming I've heard in DT. Not to disparage MP, who is an incredibly gifted musician in his own right, but MM's otherworldly.

There's a silver lining in all of this, though. MP's on-stage presence and enthusiasm is second to none, and he's going to help draw huge crowds and provide an amazing live experience. While I don't think he can replicate every single MM track, I'd love to hear his take on songs like Fall into the Light and Breaking All Illusions.

I always said that. MM's main flaw was being the wrong Mike.

But we spent more than a decade arguing about how robotic MM was. In a band that has JORDAN RUDESS as a member.
It's unbelievable.