Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 121598 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Welcome to the Family)
« Reply #560 on: October 23, 2023, 10:49:33 AM »
I don't even know how to react to this, since I'm one who loves the sound of MM's drum playing without rationalizing any of his technique. I really love his work on DT, specially in the last 2 albums, truly incredible. And I also admire that he's still studying and pushing his playing forward. I guess if people don't feel it, nothing can be done. In fact, although I agree there's nothing groundbreaking in these songs, I'll buy and hear the album because of the drum work alone (and I do that for a few other drummers outside DT too).

And that's brilliant! Plenty of people who share your opinion, nothing wrong with that at all.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #561 on: October 23, 2023, 02:41:21 PM »
MM's signature thing besides the orchestration like that is the fully lefty and fully righty playing with a mirror image kit. That and crazy polyrhythms.

And that's largely why it's lost on me.  Couldn't care less if he plays with his left hand, right hand, or his third hand.  Music for me is almost entirely visceral, even when I DO know what's going on behind the scenes.   There's NO DOUBT that what he does physically is impressive, but TO ME - and everyone can make their own determination, and there is no right answer - that doesn't translate, almost at all, into any visceral musical response.
For me, that technical piece is worthy of admiration in the same way that I admire any craftsmanship going into any product or piece of art.  But it loses some importance if the end product isn't aesthetically pleasing, or useful, as the case may be.

Same. And I’m a drummer, and I’ve never been into any music just because of the drums.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #562 on: October 23, 2023, 10:20:02 PM »
Just retifying a bit what I said, about the albums that I have "for the drums alone", it's more like albums that the drums and the focus on rhythms really elevate a lot the songs that otherwise wouldn't pick my interest that much. That's more accurate with what I wanted to say. As an excellent example of it, I would mention Thomas Lang - Progpop.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #563 on: October 25, 2023, 08:46:36 AM »
Yeah, for me it feels like MM already knew he was leaving through all the process of writing the text in his web page and promoting his album, like in Rodrigo's interview...

Good luck for the Man(gini) in his projects ahead! Great drummer and seems like a great guy.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #564 on: October 25, 2023, 08:57:50 AM »
When I watched Rodrigo's interview with Mike and he was like "they haven't told me anything about going into the studio" and "I'm eager and ready to go, just waiting" I knew something was up, but I couldn't imagine this happening so soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: October 25, 2023, 09:06:02 AM »
When I watched Rodrigo's interview with Mike and he was like "they haven't told me anything about going into the studio" and "I'm eager and ready to go, just waiting" I knew something was up, but I couldn't imagine this happening so soon.

I had the same feeling,  :'(

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #566 on: October 25, 2023, 09:22:59 AM »
I guess it's safe to say that Mangini leaves DT with his reputation intact, and with respect from everyone.

Who can ever blame him for just about anything? yeah, some prefer MP's drumming style, some others don't like this or that drum part and that's fine, but what has Mike Mangini ever done in his tenure with DT that affected the band in a negative way? nothing.

He came, had nothing but exctatic words for his tenure in the band and the chance to play with them, and was a loyal band member until he was let go. I can hardly fault him for anything, he has been a true gentleman in all these 13 years.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #567 on: October 25, 2023, 09:31:20 AM »
I feel he was the perfect guy for the job and did it the best way anyone actually could!

The band must have been in a hard place when he stepped in and they managed to maintain the same line up for 13 years, do A LOT of great stuff, great music, and seemed to have a nice time overall...

The only two bad things for me are:
1. DT most controversial album had him on drums, TA, which is a shame because...
2. ...he wasn't involved in all of the albums creatively, which I think was a waste.

Outside from that, it was a terrific run with one of the most demanding bands and fanbase in the scene.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #568 on: October 25, 2023, 09:36:09 AM »
Safe to say that whatever negative can be said about MM's tenure in the band, could be related to JP's production decisions.

He is a great guy, offered a lot to the band, given the freedom he was given, and has some remarkable drum parts to leave as a legacy to the band.

Also, he is the one who gave the seed to the only (so-far) grammy awarded song of the band, with a characteristic MM groove. He should be very proud.

I have very bittersweet emotions about this change, but Mike has been consistently great throughout his years in the band, and i really hope he gets to enjoy the fame he got from DT in his next steps.

An incredible drummer, and amazing person. Thanks for everything.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #569 on: October 25, 2023, 09:36:44 AM »
Mangini has never been the problem since he's been in the band. All of the "controversial" decisions made during his tenure were made by other people. He did what he was asked to do with grace, humility and a fuck ton of talent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #570 on: October 25, 2023, 10:01:59 AM »
I'm going to miss him for sure, I'm glad that MP is back, he's got a different vibe to him. I got to see DT live with MM 3 times, all very fun times. I wonder if they'll do any festivals in the summer next year even if the album isn't released.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #571 on: October 25, 2023, 10:37:13 AM »

I really wish DT would do a one-off farewell show for Mangini, covering just material from his era with the band. Would be a fantastic live album.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #572 on: October 25, 2023, 10:37:45 AM »
I subscribe to all the positive words about Mangini above. An incredible drummer and a true classy person, a super gentleman. Looking forward to his next projects.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 10:46:14 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #573 on: October 25, 2023, 10:38:58 AM »
I wonder if they'll do any festivals in the summer next year even if the album isn't released.

They'll be out next summer for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Knguros

« Reply #574 on: October 25, 2023, 10:47:21 AM »
“Thank you for trusting me the second half of your careers in life…”

I feel for this guy. He’s an amazing professional and human.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: October 25, 2023, 10:47:39 AM »

Just searched it out to watch and two things came to mind: 1) it is indeed a really lovely interview, and 2) he knew. He absolutely knew.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: October 25, 2023, 10:49:52 AM »

Pass a link to an out-of-loop fool?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: October 25, 2023, 10:51:16 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxjX0VKo0NM

Last 10 minutes or so. But it's worth popping on the whole thing. Rodrigo did a lovely job.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline faizoff

Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)
« Reply #578 on: October 25, 2023, 11:00:23 AM »

Just searched it out to watch and two things came to mind: 1) it is indeed a really lovely interview, and 2) he knew. He absolutely knew.

Is it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxjX0VKo0NM&ab_channel=SonicPerspectives

Care to share the time stamp?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: October 25, 2023, 11:02:30 AM »
Yup, that's the one.

It's the last ten minutes or so.

Edit: 48m 40s, there ya go.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #580 on: October 25, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »
Holy shit, he looked like he was about to start crying. He knew.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #581 on: October 25, 2023, 11:10:44 AM »

Boom. Nailed it.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: October 25, 2023, 11:10:55 AM »

Last 10 minutes or so. But it's worth popping on the whole thing. Rodrigo did a lovely job.

Thanks!
Oh yeah, I don't think leaving the band was his idea or intention.

He always looks like that though  :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #583 on: October 25, 2023, 11:13:44 AM »
Yeah, seems like it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #584 on: October 25, 2023, 11:15:17 AM »
I just find it a bit unfair that one guy leaves, another guy replaces him, immediately gets lots of heat online for not being guy no.1, he still does the job flawlessly, though he's not allowed to fully contribute on the way he'd like too; and then, when things start opening and getting better for guy no. 2, he just gets the boot... for not being guy no. 1.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #585 on: October 25, 2023, 11:16:08 AM »

That was my thought too, I don't know if it looks that way now because we know.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #586 on: October 25, 2023, 11:17:43 AM »
I just find it a bit unfair that one guy leaves, another guy replaces him, immediately gets lots of heat online for not being guy no.1, he still does the job flawlessly, though he's not allowed to fully contribute on the way he'd like too; and then, when things start opening and getting better for guy no. 2, he just gets the boot... for not being guy no. 1.

I agree with this. Mike was such a class act all the way, a team player and always worked to his best ability within the constraints set by the rest of the band (or should I say JP).

I'm kind of sad with these news, but I hope it works out for the best for MM

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #587 on: October 25, 2023, 11:24:20 AM »
Replacing a beloved member of a band is such a hard thing to do and Mangini did it with class. He always seemed like a really nice and passionate guy. I know there was always talk about his drum sound or creative input, but I would've been more than content with Mangini riding out the rest of DT's years.

If anything, I hope he finds even more fulfillment in whatever endeavors he pursues next. Dude deserves it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #588 on: October 25, 2023, 11:58:11 AM »

I agree with this. Mike was such a class act all the way, a team player and always worked to his best ability within the constraints set by the rest of the band (or should I say JP).

I'm kind of sad with these news, but I hope it works out for the best for MM

I'm not sure that's exactly how it went.

First, we have no idea what went on in terms of notice or discussions.  Honestly, I can't imagine that there weren't some discussions, even if it was between lawyers.  I feel bad in the general sense, but I'm not assuming this is a jilted-lover scenario.

Second, as I said above, ANY time someone is stepping in for a non-dead original member, it's part of the gig to reconcile, internally, that this could end at any time.

Just ask:
- Rick Dufay
- Ronnie Dio
- Joe Lynn Turner
- Tony Martin
- Sammy Hagar
- Blaze Bayley
- Ripper Owens
- Trevor Rabin
- Trevor Horn
- Ray Wilson
- Bruce Kulick
- Eric Singer
- Chris Slade (or was it Simon Wright)
- Brian Who-took-over-for-Paul-Rodgers-in-Bad-Company
- The dude who drummed for Twisted Sister on their last studio album "Love Is For Suckers"
- Todd Rungren
- Neil Murray
- Cozy Powell (Black Sabbath)
- Jon Brant
- Dougie White
- Lawrence Archer
- Cozy Powell (again, ELP this time)
- Whoever filled in for Stevie Nicks when she was off playing with witches
- Whoever filled in for Lindsey Buckingham when he was off writing hate songs to Stevie
- Gilby Clark
- Paul Tobias/Robin Finck/Buckethead/Bumblefoot/DJ Ashba
- Tommy Stinson

.... and that's just up through G in terms of bands. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #589 on: October 25, 2023, 11:59:27 AM »
You forgot Jimmy Crespo! ;D

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #590 on: October 25, 2023, 12:43:28 PM »
While I haven't loved all of the albums that the band has put out in the last 13 years, I have definitely loved him since I saw the audition video and his emotion at being chosen to be in the band.  Poor guy, I feel bad for him having to answer that question while likely knowing that he wasn't the drummer anymore.  But kudos to him for remaining so graceful and an amazing human being. 

Offline Trav86

« Reply #591 on: October 25, 2023, 12:46:10 PM »

First, I think Mangini is awesome, so my statement may seem brutal but I’m just being honest.
The music made with Guy #1 is overwhelming considered the best music the band ever made. And if Guy #2 wasn’t happy that he didn’t get to contribute as much as he would like, fair enough. But the one song Guy #2 wrote lyrics for and seemed really attached to, was not great. And the two songs we’ve heard from Guy #2’s solo album, are not great. So that doesn’t seem like a huge loss.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #592 on: October 25, 2023, 12:54:18 PM »

Wow that sucks. The music industry can be brutal. I really feel bad for him. Such an outstanding gentleman.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #593 on: October 25, 2023, 01:37:59 PM »

Thank you!!! And I didn't mention it here, but it did struck me as odd the way he answered the DT related questions, sometimes quickly pivoting  back to his solo album. This will go down in history as his last interview as a member of DT, and you can definitely tell something is odd in his response to the DT topics.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #594 on: October 25, 2023, 02:12:36 PM »
that makes this a weird time for MM to do interviews knowing they'll ask about DT.

Maybe he realised that when he almost chocked up on that question, and that that's why there's no new interviews with him yet. Now he can freely talk.