Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 120491 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Welcome to the Family)
« Reply #420 on: November 22, 2022, 10:11:37 AM »
That’s very cool. Has he mentioned who else appears on the album? I’m assuming he isn’t singing.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline emtee

« Reply #421 on: November 22, 2022, 10:39:00 AM »
I'm curious to check it out but buying it will depend on who is singing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #422 on: November 22, 2022, 11:43:44 AM »
I was under the impression that he was doing everything.

At any rate, I can't wait to hear it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #423 on: November 22, 2022, 12:53:09 PM »
I was under the impression that he was doing everything.

At any rate, I can't wait to hear it.

He said somewhere else that he wrote everything himself, but got real players to record. No names mentioned yet, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #424 on: November 22, 2022, 06:29:11 PM »
Only 4/4? :eek

I mean, I'm going to buy it regardless but I'm almost sad...and I'm not even a huge prog fan.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #425 on: November 25, 2022, 08:13:18 AM »
I am actually excited for this because everything is in 4:4 and he wrote all of the parts himself. I always like when talented musicians do something way out of their comfort zone. There's almost always at least something that is a stroke of genius in there. The latest example for me was Weezer recording a full album with only an orchestra and drum kit. DT did alot of experimenting on my favorite album of theirs, 6DOIT. His post actually pulled me in when I couldn't have cared less before.

-Tof

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #426 on: May 30, 2023, 12:16:53 PM »
Mike performing with Cory Wong for a Pearl Drums event a few days ago: https://youtu.be/REL5YjwOdJ0

They'll probably post the official footage soon, but this one is really good for an audience recording :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #427 on: June 01, 2023, 08:42:22 AM »
Great new interview from the same event: https://youtu.be/6dBnk9nsUUE

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #428 on: June 01, 2023, 05:24:25 PM »
Great new interview from the same event: https://youtu.be/6dBnk9nsUUE

Thank you for posting that. Short but sweet. It weird how his personality has not really translated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #429 on: June 01, 2023, 07:30:39 PM »
Mike performing with Cory Wong for a Pearl Drums event a few days ago: https://youtu.be/REL5YjwOdJ0

They'll probably post the official footage soon, but this one is really good for an audience recording :tup

He sounds great :tup

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #430 on: June 02, 2023, 02:44:32 PM »
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #431 on: June 03, 2023, 07:01:33 AM »
In case you didn't see the whole video, MM confirmed his solo album, Invisible Signs, to be released in August.
But I'm not sure if he confirmed or not a different setlist for the DreamSonic show from the last european leg of AVFTTOTW tour.

Edit: from his Facebook:
"MY SOLO ALBUM, "Invisible Signs," NEWS IS STARTING, but I'll be focussed on the upcoming Dream Theater Tour and will leak out solo album info in bits as August approaches.
This post contains some words on "Invisible Signs" and its development. There’s old information from older inteviews, so I’m posting to make sure that any interested people know what this thing ended up being as different from how it started.
You can see from older interviews, that it went from being all me on every instrument, to ending up including others who morphed it to be better than I could’ve imagined.
I was able to track every thing via the use of virtual instruments. It then changed as players worked off these tracks and applying their expertise with their real instruments; ones that I cannot play.
Watching Petrucci morph lines written from keyboard, or visa versa helped me learn more about that odd translation from instruments that differ mechanically.
I wrote all the solos on Invisible Signs initially, but observations made it easy for me to know that some of these were better served by an actual soloist, espeically and one that will turn heads : )  Therefore, I only kept a few of mine.
More so, I cannot sing to save my life except one time with a Nuno Bettencourt solo gig in London I sang some background vocals in tune channeling my best Ethel Merman tone. Somehow, he got me to get them right. I've not sung anything right since.
Anyway, I made vocal guides during and after the writing of the  initial music. Some songs started with some of these lyrics, not the music. But when the music was first, this was a similar process to the Dream Theater “Room 137” lyrics, except I lightly sang those in person as an outline to John and James and then went on my way knowing they were in good hands.
This time, the final vocalist and I worked together and the parts again morphed. I learned a TON from producing this, especially when I had to change some words to fit how a real singer and different singers actually do what they do and how they differ. It was a really fun experience for me.
I’m really excited about this. Jimmy T., who has worked with me day in and day out with DT for years speaking often about about the intracate balance of every single thing on my drums that only I know. However, I needed his expertise to take my drums up a notch from the YouTube videos you can hear, like “Untethered Angel” for example. The base sound is like that video, but J.T. pointed out what had to morph as the landscape of the instrumentation I used demanded adjustments to the tone of the kit.
Stay tuned. I'm shooting for an August release. In the mean time, DT touring is around the corner, then the JP Camp, then my album.
So there. See you on the road. If I'm smiling all the time, it's because it will be a blast touring with like minds like Devin & Band and Animals."
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 07:36:50 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #432 on: June 03, 2023, 09:39:50 AM »
I'm not sure if he confirmed or not a different setlist for the DreamSonic show from the last european leg of AVFTTOTW tour.
While he didn't state it directly, if you read between the lines on what he did say, at the very least, the songs they swapped in from the new album will be in the DreamSonic setlist. And I still stand by my previous prediction of what the setlist will be: likely an abbreviated version of what was played in Europe with maybe one or two other songs added to the setlist that hadn't been played previously on this album-tour cycle.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #433 on: June 03, 2023, 08:37:08 PM »
Stretching a bit your scenario, I'm rooting for DT to play the last european setlist, but dropping PMU, View and Tuscany, and adding Transcending Time and another 2 different songs.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #434 on: June 03, 2023, 10:10:57 PM »
Nooooooooooo,  don't drop View!!! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline devieira73

« Reply #435 on: June 04, 2023, 07:45:02 AM »
I also love View!! (and Tuscany) Just for making room for more songs in a 1h 30m show.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #436 on: June 05, 2023, 12:51:38 PM »
Well color me EXCITED for this . . .

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: June 19, 2023, 01:44:37 AM »
Why am I am not surprised that Mangini would (basically) dismiss feeling and fun as being not that important as opposed to precision and "getting it exactly right"? 

No, he didn't exactly say that, but he might as well have.  One of the biggest criticisms of progressive music is that the players are often too focused on playing technically difficult music and at the expense of feeling, and Mangini just confirmed that he is totally on board with that approach.  Ugh.

Only just seen this. But yeah, no kidding: "The excuse of "feeling" while ruining songs can take a hike according to the composers and players." Just stick on the CD in the auditorium next time, or call it a recital and we'll all sit there in bow ties.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #438 on: July 29, 2023, 07:06:50 PM »

Offline devieira73

« Reply #439 on: August 25, 2023, 11:27:57 AM »
http://www.manginiband.com/
There are already some details about the album in the "Album Credits & Info" section.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #440 on: August 25, 2023, 11:46:58 AM »
Interesting. Female vocals?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #441 on: August 25, 2023, 12:24:47 PM »
If Dino is singning and Jen is sining/playing, this is going to be (hopefully) an awesome album. Jen's playing is fantastic and Dino is insane in vocals, reminds me of Ark Burn the Sun era Jorn Lande.

*edit: upon reading the credits, seems like Dino is not singing, just recorded Ivan Keller.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #442 on: August 25, 2023, 12:31:57 PM »
http://www.manginiband.com/
There are already some details about the album in the "Album Credits & Info" section.

Had found this before, but it was still under construction. It's an interesting lineup for sure. Can't wait for the first single!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #443 on: August 25, 2023, 12:35:59 PM »
I didn't know anything about her. She has a good voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la6-X8Dp7K4
I'm really curious about this album. As previously informed, all in 4/4 with insane drumming. And it seems like we'll have also something more acessible, melodic and a guitar driven album (11 guitar solos in 12 songs).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #444 on: August 25, 2023, 12:41:52 PM »
She was the guitarist for Evanescence for a while and during the lockdown she uploaded many 1 minute covers with different musician friends. Here's the one she did with MM and Alex Skolnick: https://youtu.be/E7IgFcUV5rg?si=6S_mT_OuJ7qz6nxX

Offline devieira73

« Reply #445 on: August 25, 2023, 12:47:48 PM »

Offline devieira73

« Reply #446 on: August 26, 2023, 10:00:14 AM »
Just a heads up, if you read the "Invisible Signs Musicians" on that site (http://www.manginiband.com/album-musicians/), I think you can have a taste of the overall feel of the album.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 06:28:06 PM by devieira73 »

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #447 on: August 26, 2023, 12:45:23 PM »
the whole story about  how the album came together is still kinda a mess though. many weird sentences and typos galore :D

Offline devieira73

« Reply #448 on: August 27, 2023, 06:35:33 PM »
I guess you are talking about this section, right? http://www.manginiband.com/untitled.html
I won't judge the english, it's clearly not my specialty.  ;)
But, I think it's just MM expressing himself in that very complicated fashion that I guess we all are already used to! ;D
He was VERY meticulous describing the making of the album, very cool!!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #449 on: August 28, 2023, 07:06:36 PM »
From MM's Facebook:
"Solo Album & Zoom Classes coming in September. The rest of August is needed to finish up promotional campaign materials as well as expanding my team, especially and handling my social media."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #450 on: August 28, 2023, 07:32:16 PM »
From MM's Facebook:
"Solo Album & Zoom Classes coming in September. The rest of August is needed to finish up promotional campaign materials as well as expanding my team, especially and handling my social media."

:metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #451 on: August 29, 2023, 08:23:58 AM »
I guess you are talking about this section, right? http://www.manginiband.com/untitled.html
I won't judge the english, it's clearly not my specialty.  ;)
But, I think it's just MM expressing himself in that very complicated fashion that I guess we all are already used to! ;D
He was VERY meticulous describing the making of the album, very cool!!

I offer myself up to proof and edit the things he has posted on his site (free of charge).  I don't mean that to be critical or rude, but that should be the best foot forward, and some of that text was undermining the intent. 

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: August 29, 2023, 10:27:24 AM »
I gave up listening to him talk a few years ago. No way am I going to attempt to read his written word :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #453 on: August 29, 2023, 11:34:06 AM »
To be fair, it's still an unfinished website :lol :P

Offline devieira73

« Reply #454 on: August 29, 2023, 12:57:11 PM »
To be fair, it's still an unfinished website :lol :P
It's true! And he said "...expanding my team, especially and handling my social media". Maybe there will be some improvement in the site sections too.