Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 119631 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Welcome to the Family)
« Reply #385 on: July 02, 2022, 01:10:36 PM »
The same BITS video but with the click track from the show + some words by MM on why they use a click: https://youtu.be/iCz0dQ_S5nU

Please read this about click tracks to relate my feelings on it to your own opinions and feelings about it. This is a version of Bridges in the Sky of our (Dream Theater) album A Dramatic Turn of Events. It is a live version with the click track that I hear in my ear monitors every night. Using one camera from the front is a sign that there is no editing of any kind. The levels are not edited either. Nothing is.

Not the click track itself, but having the entire show depend on me amplifies the difficulty of playing Dream Theater music and makes it significantly harder to play.  It is a pressure that has to be experienced to really "get." Nothing can go wrong.

That's different than my using a click for reference, say with the past G3 tours, Annihilator, Dale Bozzio [Missing Persons,] or some songs with Extreme. With DT I did not use a click early on except to reference some beginning tempos. These bands and musicians LOVED the click use. The song samples (like the ones used in 6:00 and many other DT songs,) lined up and feel comfortable. Also, they love it because their instrument delays/effects are in time. But mainly, they really love it because the difficult parts are not too fast; no drummer rushed the tempo.

In the early 1980's, I measured that the average increase in BPM drummers (including me) made on live albums or shows was about +12 BPM. That's an insane amount. Musicians with difficult parts can't stand that. I don't know a single one that doesn't get infuriated when they cannot play their parts.

And yes, I would love to play some nights with no production, nothing on my back, and without this pressure. However, the most important thing is the result. No joy compares to hearing a show back that was executed spot-on while knowing that fans got the best out of me and that it looked and sounded as great as we could possibly make it. There is nothing is worse than hearing old shows compromised with brutal speed-ups than were NOT intended. All adrenaline. Fun at the time for a drummer, never fun for the musicians struggling to play, and no fun later for anyone because the results were not intended. The excuse of "feeling" while ruining songs can take a hike according to the composers and players.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #386 on: July 02, 2022, 01:31:07 PM »
I literally asked for a video with a click track included in the comments of the first video! Awesome!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: July 02, 2022, 02:27:34 PM »
I love the bridges in the sky video and it helps keep things in time then more power to him.

I've never had a problem of live versions being sped up, that's part of the energy that's in the air during the performance.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #388 on: July 02, 2022, 03:23:11 PM »
I love the bridges in the sky video and it helps keep things in time then more power to him.

I've never had a problem of live versions being sped up, that's part of the energy that's in the air during the performance.

I like his reasons for using a click, to keep on tempo with the song without increasing it to the point already complex parts are even more difficult for the other guys to play without fault live.

Makes me laugh cause I can hear JP telling MP, "Yo, my fingers are gonna melt off" during the arppegios in the intro to The Glass Prison on the Gigantour dvd.   :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: July 02, 2022, 03:57:48 PM »
I saw JP at a guitar clinic before the gigantour show in Florida and someone asked him if he alt picked or swept the glass prison arpeggios. He said live it entirely depends on how much caffeine MP has had :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #390 on: July 02, 2022, 04:25:41 PM »
Why am I am not surprised that Mangini would (basically) dismiss feeling and fun as being not that important as opposed to precision and "getting it exactly right"? 

No, he didn't exactly say that, but he might as well have.  One of the biggest criticisms of progressive music is that the players are often too focused on playing technically difficult music and at the expense of feeling, and Mangini just confirmed that he is totally on board with that approach.  Ugh.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #391 on: July 03, 2022, 05:24:20 AM »
Why am I am not surprised that Mangini would (basically) dismiss feeling and fun as being not that important as opposed to precision and "getting it exactly right"? 

No, he didn't exactly say that, but he might as well have.  One of the biggest criticisms of progressive music is that the players are often too focused on playing technically difficult music and at the expense of feeling, and Mangini just confirmed that he is totally on board with that approach.  Ugh.

Maybe, but I kind of get the impression it’s more of pressure from JP and the guys to play that way. But I agree, it detracts from the live feel.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: July 03, 2022, 10:22:42 AM »
Was wondering who would be the first to jump on those comments  :)

I almost said something but considered Mike is a bit of a different beast and I imagine being precise and exact is fun to him.

My bigger takeaway, and I am just speaking for myself, is that I don't ask or even expect a live performance to be perfect. It's ok to miss a beat, flub some chords, have a lighting cue out of sync. I've never left a show thinking "man, that show was the best, absolutely nothing went wrong." Besides if I am enjoying.myself I am more likely than not to miss something that didn't run flawlessly, or if I do even care about it by the time the next song starts.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #393 on: July 03, 2022, 11:31:19 AM »
Was wondering who would be the first to jump on those comments  :)

I almost said something but considered Mike is a bit of a different beast and I imagine being precise and exact is fun to him.

My bigger takeaway, and I am just speaking for myself, is that I don't ask or even expect a live performance to be perfect. It's ok to miss a beat, flub some chords, have a lighting cue out of sync. I've never left a show thinking "man, that show was the best, absolutely nothing went wrong." Besides if I am enjoying.myself I am more likely than not to miss something that didn't run flawlessly, or if I do even care about it by the time the next song starts.

*high fives*

As to your last points, I am with ya.  When I think of the best concerts I have been to, they were all a blast and I left each having no clue how perfect or on point the performances were; I just know I had a blast.  I get that it is different for the performers, and I have no doubt that musicians always want to get it right and not mess up, but a healthy balance is always better if you ask me. In the end, I guess I am just a non-musician who needs to take a hike because I care about the emotions of a song and how it makes me feel. :lol ;)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #394 on: July 03, 2022, 09:31:14 PM »

Maybe, but I kind of get the impression it’s more of pressure from JP and the guys to play that way. But I agree, it detracts from the live feel.

That's funny because I watched his video pretty quickly after it was posted and I thought in spite of his precision, he still delivered a ton of feel. *shrugs*

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #395 on: July 04, 2022, 05:48:51 AM »

That's funny because I watched his video pretty quickly after it was posted and I thought in spite of his precision, he still delivered a ton of feel. *shrugs*

In theory, I understand why people are against them using a click, but if you've seen Mangini Era DT live, Mike is as engaged with his bandmates and the crowd as anyone I've ever seen. And yes, he plays with a ton of feel.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Trav86

« Reply #396 on: July 04, 2022, 06:58:54 AM »

In theory, I understand why people are against them using a click, but if you've seen Mangini Era DT live, Mike is as engaged with his bandmates and the crowd as anyone I've ever seen. And yes, he plays with a ton of feel.

I have so much fun watching him play live. I’ve never felt like “oh this doesn’t have the feel of the Portnoy shows”. Plus now they have some amazing production added that they never had back in the day.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #397 on: July 04, 2022, 10:40:18 AM »
I can say from experience that I’m definitely the type of person who gets upset with myself when I mess up a part I’ve played hundreds of times, and I’ve also had discussions with bandmates about being mindful of tempos when it comes to songs they start and also have developed facial cues for the drummers I play with to let them know to bring the tempo down or up when a song is rushing or dragging. It’s more than just “oh I messed up this part because the tempo was too fast”. People forget that playing music is a physical thing, and if your body is trained to perform something one way and then suddenly you have to adjust, it could be uncomfortable. I’ll give two examples in my band.

The first example is Come on Eileen. My band does the ska version, which is a bit faster than the original. The way the bassline is fingered, it’s not that difficult but the continuous eighth notes and arpeggiated pattern can be tiring. My keyboard player often kicks into the song faster than normal, and that split second of time between notes that is lost makes a huge difference. If I don’t signal to the drummer to bring the tempo down, my hands will be dead by the end of the song.

The second example is Say So by Doja Cat. We play this song at a faster tempo so it grooves more and transitions more seamlessly into the next song since my band does blocks of songs with no pauses between them. Our old drummer would always play the song at album tempo because, in his words, “this song needs to lay back and groove”, but he was ignoring the fact that the longer vocal phrases meant our singers need more breath support to sing it, and after having played for over an hour, they were definitely tired. The faster tempo meant less time between breaths, which helped our singers immensely with staying in key and keeping a good vocal tone.

My point here is, while someone in the audience might not notice or care about slight mistakes that come with a tempo that’s slightly too fast or too slow, the performer’s body cares a lot, and especially with a touring band like Dream Theater, those tempos being off night after night, forcing them to play or sing parts at a different speed than their body is used to, it could lead to more muscle and voice fatigue than they would have experienced otherwise. For us fans, it’s one night. For them, it’s weeks and months at a time, so those perceived little things become a lot bigger deals as the tour goes on.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:15:12 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #398 on: July 04, 2022, 11:48:42 AM »
MM said that DT likes to push their own boundaries at the studio, so live they want to replicate that, not try to play it even faster (and die in the intent) :P

I saw JP at a guitar clinic before the gigantour show in Florida and someone asked him if he alt picked or swept the glass prison arpeggios. He said live it entirely depends on how much caffeine MP has had :lol

This is exactly the best possible example for that :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #399 on: July 06, 2022, 09:57:14 AM »
MM said that DT likes to push their own boundaries at the studio, so live they want to replicate that, not try to play it even faster (and die in the intent) :P

This is exactly the best possible example for that :rollin

LOL

And that is why I prefer the DT live shows during the MP era (studio I do prefer the MM era, where they have become more song oriented to an extent). It added a bit more energy or rawness to the show. I love DT's current stage presentation but playing with the click certainly has changed the feel of the live shows. Not a dig or anything, just an observation.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #400 on: July 08, 2022, 02:20:46 AM »

This is weird. My main takeaway from Mike's comments is that he is doing this because he cares for his bandmates. He does not want his bandmates to suffer from not getting their complicated parts right just because he was aiming for "feeling."

I mean, if you read the entirety of what he said, that is what you will get. It's almost like you only read the last sentence.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #401 on: July 08, 2022, 09:14:16 PM »
TMOLS instrumental break drum cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBF8512o1rk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #402 on: July 09, 2022, 05:48:13 AM »

This is weird. My main takeaway from Mike's comments is that he is doing this because he cares for his bandmates. He does not want his bandmates to suffer from not getting their complicated parts right just because he was aiming for "feeling."

I mean, if you read the entirety of what he said, that is what you will get. It's almost like you only read the last sentence.

Except that I did read the whole thing, but given that this is your first post in three months and you are the president of the Mike Mangini fan club, I am guessing the bat signal went off that someone said not super positive about the man, right? :lol :P

Online Trav86

« Reply #403 on: July 09, 2022, 07:45:05 AM »

Except that I did read the whole thing, but given that this is your first post in three months and you are the president of the Mike Mangini fan club, I am guessing the bat signal went off that someone said not super positive about the man, right? :lol :P

All Mike is saying is that ditching a click just to let the tempo be fluid, like Portnoy did, just because it may “feel” better to some people, isn’t right for this band right now. Production + super technical parts = click. It’s obviously what makes the whole band happy and he’s not going to ignore all that for it to “feel” a certain way, for certain people that aren’t up there on stage. He’s not wrong.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #404 on: July 09, 2022, 11:36:50 AM »

All Mike is saying is that ditching a click just to let the tempo be fluid, like Portnoy did, just because it may “feel” better to some people, isn’t right for this band right now. Production + super technical parts = click. It’s obviously what makes the whole band happy and he’s not going to ignore all that for it to “feel” a certain way, for certain people that aren’t up there on stage. He’s not wrong.

I don't think that it's a matter of right and wrong, to be honest, but more a matter of preference and a different perspective.  From a players standpoint, I get wanting to get it all right.  From this fan's perspective, everything being played exactly right isn't that important.  I will repeat what I said earlier this week (next paragraph), with a bit more elaboration (the paragraph after that):

When I think of the best concerts I have been to, they were all a blast and I left each having no clue how perfect or on point the performances were; I just know I had a blast.

None of the DT concerts I have been to in the Mangini era would rank on my short list of "best concerts I have been to," although four of the five shows were highly enjoyable, especially the first show I saw on the Along for the Ride tour in Chicago and then the show where they played all of The Astonishing.  The exception was the second show I saw on the Along for the Ride in Kansas City, which was so ear-splitting loud (even with ear plugs in) that it ruined much of the show for me. 

If I had to list the best concerts I've ever seen, the one DT show I'd put on there was at the House of Blues in Orlando on the Metropolis 2000 tour.  That concert was unbelievably great.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy (and was not played to a click :P)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #405 on: July 10, 2022, 05:19:49 AM »

It is more of because three weeks ago, I and half of my band messed up our percussion parts because the lead drummer of our group drummed so fast supposedly because he wants to feed off the energy of the crowd? What did the crowd get? A sloppy performance.

Are you a musician? Do you know how bad a musician feels when he does not get his part right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #406 on: July 12, 2022, 05:37:38 AM »

It is more of because three weeks ago, I and half of my band messed up our percussion parts because the lead drummer of our group drummed so fast supposedly because he wants to feed off the energy of the crowd? What did the crowd get? A sloppy performance.

Are you a musician? Do you know how bad a musician feels when he does not get his part right?

I addressed all of this already in my earlier posts.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #407 on: July 12, 2022, 06:22:14 AM »

Except it's not always that black and white.  There were nights where Led Zeppelin sounded like cats screaching, but there were nights when they sounded SUBLIME.  My single greatest concert moment was Page and Plant in New Jersey during The Song Remains The Same, and the music ebbed, and flowed, and part of the musicians charter - part of "getting their part right" - was being in synch with the drummer (Michael Lee, RIP) as he let the music breath.  There's a difference between moving the tempo and being "out of time".  They are not the same thing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #408 on: July 12, 2022, 10:05:58 AM »

Except it's not always that black and white.  There were nights where Led Zeppelin sounded like cats screaching, but there were nights when they sounded SUBLIME.  My single greatest concert moment was Page and Plant in New Jersey during The Song Remains The Same, and the music ebbed, and flowed, and part of the musicians charter - part of "getting their part right" - was being in synch with the drummer (Michael Lee, RIP) as he let the music breath.  There's a difference between moving the tempo and being "out of time".  They are not the same thing.
You're right, of course.  But to play devil's advocate, it's harder to do that (not IMPOSSIBLE, just HARDER) when you are weaving back and forth between multiple odd time signatures.

I would still prefer DT to ditch the live click track, but what you're describing is not something they would probably do anyway, at least not in the same way.  It's almost apples and oranges.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #409 on: July 12, 2022, 10:16:33 AM »
I won't argue that. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #410 on: July 12, 2022, 10:30:17 AM »
I won't argue that.
Who are you, and what have you done with Stadler?

j/k lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #412 on: July 14, 2022, 06:55:52 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh8VMKCPflk

That was a great interview! Just watched the whole thing.

Seems like Jimmy T is mixing his solo record, and it's pretty close to being finished :metal

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #413 on: July 14, 2022, 10:29:36 PM »
Really curious to hear his drums on it, since he’s having full control of it. Also, I thought it’s great to have real players for the other instruments, since it wasn’t the initial intention, for what I remember.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #414 on: July 14, 2022, 10:46:57 PM »
Really curious to hear his drums on it, since he’s having full control of it. Also, I thought it’s great to have real players for the other instruments, since it wasn’t the initial intention, for what I remember.

I was hoping he'd mention who are the other players involved, but I guess that's still a secret :(

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #415 on: July 16, 2022, 09:26:28 AM »
I stumbled on to a "The Alien" drum time signature tutorial from a former student of MM.

This guy does, what I think, an excellent job of explaining and counting so that a dork like myself can kind of understand.  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC3tiQqyICQ

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #416 on: July 18, 2022, 05:04:10 PM »
I stumbled on to a "The Alien" drum time signature tutorial from a former student of MM.

This guy does, what I think, an excellent job of explaining and counting so that a dork like myself can kind of understand.  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC3tiQqyICQ

Shawn Crowder is a ridiculously talented drummer. I discovered him through Adam Neely and their band Sungazer, and the rhythmic concepts he utilizes are absolutely mind-blowing. I highly recommend Sungazer if you want to hear a bass and drums led band push rhythmic concepts to the extreme.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #417 on: July 24, 2022, 07:03:55 PM »
DT wants the live shows to sound and feel a certain way. Everything the guys -- including MM -- are doing is being done on purpose to try to achieve that.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #418 on: August 02, 2022, 04:10:26 PM »
Great news from MM :metal (https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/posts/pfbid02fyRNN43jTV5esbo5FEz8aczzxM5d1muHjAhHpj7HHmRfmjwNSGw9PYbdShtjmePfl)

I hope you've enjoyed the videos I posted thus far.  Although people close to me don't hear much back or see me much, there's a reason. Well, a lot more than one. Here are two of them:
One is a finished draft of RK Volume III, the other is a finished SOLO ALBUM tracking-wise. I have been waking up very early and going to bed late to get both done before I leave for Indonesia. Of course, the next stages of both projects need to unfold, but the relief I feel after all these years is pretty special.  RK3 will be out before and in time for the 2022 Holiday Season. I'm praying that Solo Album can come out in some form, or at least in parts this year. As a popular song says, "say a prayer for me" please : )
RK 3 is devastatingly EASY to execute and incredibly mindblowing in design making it extremely powerful, while also introducing the key 'sensatory components in my "microwave" practing juggernaut. The pic is one with just color schemes and options although there are more adjustments to come. It's fun to see them though! Green with adjustments is my choice thus far due to its content as it relates to Volume Two and Yellow might be saved for the mind melting final RK. haha! IDK!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #419 on: November 22, 2022, 09:50:02 AM »
From MM's newsletter:

My solo album is fully in the can. I do not know how long it will be before anyone can hear it because the business side is just beginning to unfold. Surprisingly, there are no "prog" songs or time signatures beyond 4/4 on it, but each song has a moment of drumming insanity that I've never had the opportunity to express on any other record in my life as this peculiar use of the drums wouldn't really fit in a normal band situation. Although it is my best drum sound and mix to date, (as it should be for anyone making albums,) my focus was the sing-ability of my lyrics, the feel of the songs, and simply being able to write, engineer, and produce my sound and music my way. Like my bandmates do for their solo albums, I'll probably title it with my name.