Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 119592 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Welcome to the Family)
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2018, 04:18:09 PM »
I think MMs position in DT might be in jeopardy, a new era of drumming has emerged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgIG7a1XVCU
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2018, 10:40:45 PM »
I think MMs position in DT might be in jeopardy, a new era of drumming has emerged:

For the first 2 or 3 seconds I thought that may actually be Mangini, ya know, long jet black hair and all. I didn't bother to look at the actual description. 

Then I did look at the description and I really have no more answers than I had before other than it is actually not Mike Mangini but I figured that out on my own at about the :03 mark. 

And now I am posting.

Post.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2018, 10:59:16 PM »
I insist, instead of Mike Mangini they should have totally picked Dave Grohl, he was objectively the right choice
Jatruccyundessgini

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #248 on: December 22, 2018, 05:16:42 AM »

For the first 2 or 3 seconds I thought that may actually be Mangini, ya know, long jet black hair and all. I didn't bother to look at the actual description. 

Then I did look at the description and I really have no more answers than I had before other than it is actually not Mike Mangini but I figured that out on my own at about the :03 mark. 

And now I am posting.

Post.
Yea it's something to behold, whatever it is.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bill1971

« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »
Very happy they have Mangini. He has more than filled in and added an improved dimension in my opinion.

• DTF.org Member

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #251 on: July 03, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »
Mike Mangini (Dream Theater) - drumtalk [episode 52]
That  is actually his second time he is on that channel. There was one section of his first appearance that actually taught me something beyond playing the instrument, the humanity aspect. (I'll post it here when I find it again. Edit: found it. Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afu57XX0iDc 8:21 and onwards) I'm grateful for that as well. Thanks Mike.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Trav86

« Reply #252 on: July 03, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »
The interview is great, but man, those behind the kit shots during Untethered Angel!! I think I like that song even more now!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #253 on: July 03, 2020, 05:27:32 PM »
The interview is great, but man, those behind the kit shots during Untethered Angel!! I think I like that song even more now!

Yeah! :metal I wish they released the whole video of that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: July 03, 2020, 05:50:31 PM »

" I am convinced he is blind and is just tryna make his breakfast "

:rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: July 03, 2020, 05:51:42 PM »
I wonder if the two smaller basses are for show since he no longer has the giant 26" bass drum.

And since he explained that it was for powerful intros and accents - why would you need 4 bass drums of similar size ?

I think take those out and the kit will actually look a lot less oversized.

And cut to present day and he only uses one bass drum.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #256 on: July 03, 2020, 05:55:04 PM »
I wonder if the two smaller basses are for show since he no longer has the giant 26" bass drum.

And since he explained that it was for powerful intros and accents - why would you need 4 bass drums of similar size ?

I think take those out and the kit will actually look a lot less oversized.

And cut to present day and he only uses one bass drum.

IIRC he said he would've gone with two bass drums but he wanted to use 24''s and he couldn't set the toms the way he wanted with two of them, so he went with one instead. His home kit is basically the same as his tour kit, but with two 22''s instead of one 24''.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: July 04, 2020, 08:32:59 AM »

" I am convinced he is blind and is just tryna make his breakfast "

:rollin
Found his band: https://youtu.be/t3D9GcetJxk

JMXs hipster brother on bass!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: July 05, 2020, 05:32:37 AM »

IIRC he said he would've gone with two bass drums but he wanted to use 24''s and he couldn't set the toms the way he wanted with two of them, so he went with one instead. His home kit is basically the same as his tour kit, but with two 22''s instead of one 24''.

And his home kit has the hi-hats up in the air too - which completely blows a hole in his "seperation for the microphones" excuse.

I love Mangini as a person and he's perfect for DT - but it does seem that he only does things because people told him he shouldn't.

As a drummer I get tired watching him with his arms up all the time.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #259 on: July 05, 2020, 05:35:56 AM »

And his home kit has the hi-hats up in the air too - which completely blows a hole in his "seperation for the microphones" excuse.

I love Mangini as a person and he's perfect for DT - but it does seem that he only does things because people told him he shouldn't.

As a drummer I get tired watching him with his arms up all the time.
yes, but his notes are clean, so I don't care about that too much and he is very musical about whatever he plays, that's enough.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: July 05, 2020, 05:38:24 AM »
He can play his own drums however he wants - but for the ADTOE tour - he "absolutely needed" 4 bass drums. Now he has 1.

Then people joked about his cymbals being so high up - so now his hi hats are up there too.

Next tour is he going to be playing the entire kit suspended upside down from the ceiling - because " his arms just hang down and its easier when gravity does half the work..." ?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #261 on: July 05, 2020, 05:48:43 AM »

He now set up his home kit for recording purposes. Implied in this Facebook post, him now engineering his own sound:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3047097275339010&id=111860865529347&fs=0&focus_composer=0
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 05:54:24 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: July 05, 2020, 05:59:01 AM »
The next album will be interesting. DT have their own HQ/Studio now and if Mangini records his own drums at home and gets the sound HE wants it could sound even better than

Distance Over Time - which already sounded great.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #263 on: July 05, 2020, 08:58:34 AM »
How about Mangini have his entire drum set suspended in air while he plays standing the whole time, because you're supposed to have the drums resting on the floor? :o

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: July 05, 2020, 09:35:02 AM »
How about Mangini have his entire drum set suspended in air while he plays standing the whole time, because you're supposed to have the drums resting on the floor? :o

Oh god now he's going to read this 😩

Next he'll stop hitting the drums with actual sticks and use his hands " to transfer my souuuuuuuuul " into the kit.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #265 on: July 05, 2020, 09:52:30 AM »

Oh god now he's going to read this 😩

Next he'll stop hitting the drums with actual sticks and use his hands " to transfer my souuuuuuuuul " into the kit.

Next logical step is using his mind to play the drums.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #266 on: July 05, 2020, 07:56:17 PM »
Because people seem to be hating on Mike for doing this, here's a nice explanation by Gavin Harrison on why his crash cymbals are so high https://youtu.be/MCJ4hrFOIhc?t=1269 ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: July 06, 2020, 02:20:12 AM »
Not hating - just that no other drummer has ever done / said the same thing.

Online Trav86

« Reply #268 on: July 06, 2020, 07:38:43 AM »
I recommend this video for the whole “cymbal” thing. Much ado about nothing.
https://youtu.be/H7UlBm-iuP8
Can't we find the minds

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: July 07, 2020, 12:24:58 AM »
I'm fine with MM as DT's drummer, my only gripe is the typewriter sound of the drumkit...
Okay, it probably works the best with playing fast, but I always feel like hearing fear factory's drumkit, PLEASE, more organic sounding everything and more cymbals to the mix :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #270 on: July 07, 2020, 01:21:21 AM »
I'm fine with MM as DT's drummer, my only gripe is the typewriter sound of the drumkit...
Okay, it probably works the best with playing fast, but I always feel like hearing fear factory's drumkit, PLEASE, more organic sounding everything and more cymbals to the mix :D

Something like this, the best sounding Mangini to my ears:

Stones

Snowy Day

Hell yeah.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: July 07, 2020, 05:48:05 AM »
His kit sounds phat in his home studio videos.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW9l1CN2oO0

Who knows ? Maybe it sounds like that soloed on Distance Over Time - but with everything else it gets a bit buried.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #272 on: July 07, 2020, 05:51:50 AM »
His kit sounds phat in his home studio videos.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW9l1CN2oO0

Who knows ? Maybe it sounds like that soloed on Distance Over Time - but with everything else it gets a bit buried.
it does actually, but only on the 24 bit version on the Bluray of the album (this may give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYEwb6cJYf0), the Bluray is where it's at, seriously

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: July 07, 2020, 05:53:32 AM »

They may be closer *inwards*  - but at 3:05 in the Pale Blue Dot explanation video - he clearly *IS* at full stretch to stop the chinas ringing out.

It will be interesting to see if the Hi Hats etc are so far away on the next tour.

----

EDIT : I actually think that his drums sound better with each successive DT album he's on.

DT12 just needed a sharper snare sound. I had no problem with the Astonishing drum sound and D/T was great.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: July 07, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »

Damn that does sound good, never seen that video before.

EDIT : I actually think that his drums sound better with each successive DT album he's on.

agreed

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #275 on: July 07, 2020, 02:46:10 PM »

Damn that does sound good, never seen that video before.

agreed

I love the way he demonstrates PBT in the very beginning and counts off 19, demonstrates it, plays it in real time then shrugs and goes 'that's that' at around the 40 second mark. It cracks me up because he's basically going, what's the big deal? I mean, it sounds easy to me but I know better.

And yes, they have done a better job capturing his tone with each album.

Online Trav86

« Reply #276 on: July 08, 2020, 04:51:44 PM »

I forgot to comment on this. I realize it’s just the drums, and they aren’t fighting a wall of guitars in the mix, and that’s why it’s so good. One of the best drum sounds I’ve heard. And as much I’m looking forward to JP’s new album, I’m very interested in hearing Mike’s solo albums that he said he’s working on.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: July 09, 2020, 01:37:12 AM »

I love the way he demonstrates PBT in the very beginning and counts off 19, demonstrates it, plays it in real time then shrugs and goes 'that's that' at around the 40 second mark. It cracks me up because he's basically going, what's the big deal? I mean, it sounds easy to me but I know better.

To me - as a drummer who is a little more obsessed with the feel and playing for the song...I find it a bit weird that he demonstrates a section of a song then talks you through

what he was thinking mathematically rather than complimenting the music or just playing along with the feel of the section etc. It's always

" this section is in 19 - so I played 3 16th notes in 7 and then 7 32nd notes in 5 " yadda yadda.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #278 on: July 09, 2020, 02:42:36 AM »

To me - as a drummer who is a little more obsessed with the feel and playing for the song...I find it a bit weird that he demonstrates a section of a song then talks you through

what he was thinking mathematically rather than complimenting the music or just playing along with the feel of the section etc. It's always

" this section is in 19 - so I played 3 16th notes in 7 and then 7 32nd notes in 5 " yadda yadda.

Well i think this is how his brain works. Having watched quite a lot of his videos, and the way he approaches improvisation and composition, he's just a very unique person. It's his way of complimenting the music, but he thinks in a very systematic way and is very quick to break down any kind of rhythm in a "binary" way, so to speak.

I think if you notice the way he plays the cymbals you can understand the difference in how he feels the beat, compared to MP for example. It feels like he's putting the notes in a grid. In some songs it works really well, in some others it might feel a bit weird, but that's also because of the non-dynamic production he's had on the DT albums.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #279 on: July 09, 2020, 09:17:19 AM »

Well i think this is how his brain works. Having watched quite a lot of his videos, and the way he approaches improvisation and composition, he's just a very unique person. It's his way of complimenting the music, but he thinks in a very systematic way and is very quick to break down any kind of rhythm in a "binary" way, so to speak.

I think if you notice the way he plays the cymbals you can understand the difference in how he feels the beat, compared to MP for example. It feels like he's putting the notes in a grid. In some songs it works really well, in some others it might feel a bit weird, but that's also because of the non-dynamic production he's had on the DT albums.

Yeah, he's definitely feeling the music and playing what feels most musical to him, it's just that he's wired in a much more mathematical way than most of us. To me, it's fascinating.