Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 119617 times)

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Welcome to the Family)
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2014, 05:52:55 AM »
Didn't know which thread to post this, anyway here's MM new kit:

Really liking the blue finish on the drums. Looks like he arranged the bassdrums a little more symmetrical, I like symmetrical things. Beautiful kit!  :metal
It's gorgeous, upload more pictures

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2014, 06:14:47 AM »
I wonder if the two smaller basses are for show since he no longer has the giant 26" bass drum.

And since he explained that it was for powerful intros and accents - why would you need 4 bass drums of similar size ?

I think take those out and the kit will actually look a lot less oversized.
Most likely. I have heard of drummers using doublepedals even though they have two bass drums because it's too much of hazle to tune two drums similar and because they feel more comfortable playing with double pedal. They only have two bass drums because it looks cool. I remember the first time I played with two bassdrums, it was a totally diffrent feel than playing with a double pedal especially for you left foot that was used to work a little harder.

He do use four bass drums but i'm not sure what he use them for.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2014, 08:34:28 AM »
Yeah - Ray Luzier, Joey Jordison, Nick Augusto. They all do the two bass drums - but double pedal thing.

Two bass drums does give a nice symmetry to a kit but for someone at Mangini's level - you wouldn't expect them to do things just for show.

Especially not when you hear him speak about his philosophies of playing.

However - he is in Dream Theater - a band that is pretty much OTT all the time :lol with 42 minute songs and keytar solos etc.

And personally - i have always found that two basses with individual pedals was easier than double pedal on one kick since two hits at the same time on one skin kinda gives you less

rebound.

EDIT : That second pic is from the ADTOE tour when he has that massive 26" bass on the left. the DT12 tour - it's not there and is the same size as the far right bass.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »
Do you know what he used the 20-ish left bassdrum for? Yea i would think the switch from two bassdrums to double pedal would be far greater. I remember very vividly one time at a gig when the bar on my double pedal decided to suddenly break during a song. So all my double pedal patterns had to be played with one foot or rather I ONLY played the right foot patterns. It was not my proudest drum moment to say the least.  :angry:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »
Hehe. at one gig - my bass pedal broke so i did all the bass drum patterns on floor tom for the final song :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
Also - if he uses the front two for double bass patterns and the 26" one for massive song intros. There really is no need for a fourth bass drum -

- especially when it's the smallest one on the kit. No matter how much " Tooooooooooooone " bullshit you can come up with.

if all 4 bass drums are miked up - then they will be gated, EQ'd, compressed and limited then shoved thru an enormous PA in an exceedingly echoey environment.

There is no way that a 20" bass drum hit will sound hugely different to a 22" bass drum hit in that environment.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
he couldn't come into DT and use a smaller kit than portnoy did though, that would be like downgrading :p
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2014, 09:45:13 AM »

Loving the kit for this tour! It looks really sharp and clean.

if all 4 bass drums are miked up - then they will be gated, EQ'd, compressed and limited then shoved thru an enormous PA in an exceedingly echoey environment.

There is no way that a 20" bass drum hit will sound hugely different to a 22" bass drum hit in that environment.

Doesn't look like the two kicks on each far side are miked up in that picture... There doesn't appear to be holes in those kicks to put the mics inside the drums like there are on the front two. So I'd guess that maybe they aren't miked up?!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »
I'm sure they're just for show. If you took them out, the rack would still extend out on the sides, which might make it look very empty underneath, so I'm assuming that's why they kept the additional two kick drums, and they made them the same size this time to make it look symmetrical since it's just for show. I think it looks pretty sweet.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline tofee35

« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »

Doesn't look like the two kicks on each far side are miked up in that picture... There doesn't appear to be holes in those kicks to put the mics inside the drums like there are on the front two. So I'd guess that maybe they aren't miked up?!

The 2 outside kicks might be triggered or mic'd from the front which would capture more of the impact and less of the bass reverb. He could use them for speedy bass drum parts to keep the kick from sounding muddy in a huge environment. That's all total speculation though.

-Tof

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2014, 02:27:49 PM »
It's a nice colour though. Sleek.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2014, 11:28:36 PM »
I'm sure one of the side kicks is an E-Pro kick, perhaps both are. No need to mic those, obviously. Maybe he's using two E-Pro kicks and one of them is replacing the big 26'' kick. So the bigger kick is triggered?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2014, 01:25:09 AM »
I saw Mike on a clinic in November, and he said he would be replacing the 18" and 26" bass-drum with E-pros, so they are definitely triggered drums. They probably went with the normal sizes just for show  :)

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »
I was watching the Take This for the Pain documentary and the part where Jordan comes in with the continuum until the end of the JAM is just awesome!  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: January 31, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
I was watching the Take This for the Pain documentary and the part where Jordan comes in with the continuum until the end of the JAM is just awesome!  :metal

Need to rewatch this. I forgot I had it.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2014, 06:54:42 AM »
Hi guys, is there anyone that knows where I can find a list of Mangini's favorite albums of 2013 or 2012? Recent albums anyway.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »
I can't recall seeing any lists by him; usually it's JP, Jordan and JLB or JMX doing the RR end-of-the-year lists. I'm not sure, though :dunno:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: June 13, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
MM Drum solo (POV)

Really cool edit! Love the poly part at 1:05!  :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #228 on: June 13, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
MM Drum solo (POV)

That was really cool, thanks for sharing!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2014, 05:07:00 AM »
Surprisingly retro and very organic drum sound, you can hear the ringing and the overtones from the toms, which isn't a bad thing at all, a nice change of pace from the synthetic sound of DT12. The kick and the snare pack a lot of punch, which is a welcome change compared to Luna Park, where they were weak. There's also some prominent sympathetic snare buzz coming from the toms, but we've had that on LP already as well, adds to the organic feel. Oh, and the playing is as engaging and entertaining as ever, with a lot of replay value, I already watched it three times. I'm really looking forward to hearing how it all sounds on the upcoming DVD, I have a good feeling about this one. 

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #230 on: June 14, 2014, 05:42:05 AM »
Surprisingly retro and very organic drum sound, you can hear the ringing and the overtones from the toms, which isn't a bad thing at all, a nice change of pace from the synthetic sound of DT12. The kick and the snare pack a lot of punch, which is a welcome change compared to Luna Park, where they were weak. There's also some prominent sympathetic snare buzz coming from the toms, but we've had that on LP already as well, adds to the organic feel. Oh, and the playing is as engaging and entertaining as ever, with a lot of replay value, I already watched it three times. I'm really looking forward to hearing how it all sounds on the upcoming DVD, I have a good feeling about this one.

Agreed about the overall organic sound, the toms sound good. But the kicks lack a bit of punch in my opinion, maybe Mike should try to use different beaters for the bass drums, i think they sound a little weak and lack clarity, they sound more boomy without much power.

Overall, this is a mindblowing solo, this guy is an outstanding drummer, one of a kind for sure.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
MM Drum solo (POV)

Did I hear the beginning of the Whole Lotta Love drum break in there after the tubular bells part ? :P

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #232 on: June 14, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »
MM Drum solo (POV)
Did I hear the beginning of the Whole Lotta Love drum break in there after the tubular bells part ? :P
Thank you! I knew that drum break came from a Zeppelin song but was having trouble trying to place where I knew it from and hadn't had the time to start listening thru their catalog (for the first time in ages) to figure it out.   :tup
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: November 10, 2015, 11:56:29 PM »
Watched Breaking The Fourth Wall a couple of times, I didn't get a chance to see them on this last tour because they didn't play Texas but I've seen them on the ADToE twice and it was a blast.
I just wanted to say after watching this BluRay how much I appreciate Mangini being in DT, truly outstanding musician.
Only one other instance -and I think I've mentioned this before somewhere- did a lineup change happen in a band that I've been a fan of for a long time and that is of Metallica. It's been 12 years since Trujillo joined Metallica and I still haven't accepted him a 100%, even resented him for the first 6 or 7 years and he's clearly a better bassist than Newsted so it's not just about technicality, it's about fitting in and it's about a vibe. I liked Mangini since I saw the audition footage and it grew into full acceptance after the fan shot videos of the ADoTE tour came around youtube and I saw and felt the energy he brings into the band even though it still feels like DT, his integration into a band that I've been a hardcore fan of for years was very surprisingly graceful!

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #234 on: November 13, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »
As the ex-drummer for one of my favorite bands, Annihilator, I think Man-gina was a fine choice.
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline aglenn01

« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2015, 10:29:42 PM »
Agreed Progmetty,

I could not be happier with Mangini into DT! Let me say I was a huge MP fan; it was JP's insane skills and MP's over the top drumming that pulled me into the Dream Theater fold many years ago. But from the auditions forward, I have had nothing but a positive feel about MM in the band. I get the feeling that it was time, for MP, as well as the rest of DT, to move on.
Please don't take the "MP bashing" stance, as I still really appreciate MP's post DT work, esp with Winery Dogs; But I personally feel that MM is at another level in regards to ability. Now keep in mind, we are talking about musicians that are in the top 0.01% of their respective fields, so objectivity is a factor.  I will say that I had a big hope that Bobby Jarzombek would have had a shot once a change was needed, and I sometimes still wonder what he could have brought into the new band; but I feel that MM has absolutely killed it from day one. Obviously, one only needs to cruise these message boards to get a variety of opinions since the change (hard to believe it has been 5 years). 
I was also listening to the 4th wall in my automobile, which has a nice sound system, and I love how the sound moves from left to right channels--is really cool- with MM cymbals; I think in has to do with his symmetrical kit set-up. I think he brought a cool new feel to a lot of the older songs, infusing his own style into the mix. In particular, I really like the different drum fills in "Lifting Shadows", after the JP slow solo after the verse "and she listens openly"--right before the "pours his soul into the water" section-- really cool fill ending with a nice double bass roll that was not in the original Awake recording.(Nice soulful JP work throughout BTW in that song in the live album.)
Anyhow, just to see other MM supporters Progmetty!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: November 16, 2015, 10:39:30 PM »
AI will say that I had a big hope that Bobby Jarzombek would have had a shot once a change was needed, and I sometimes still wonder what he could have brought into the new band;

Jarzombek was contacted and knocked back the chance at an audition (if memory serves correct).
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #237 on: November 16, 2015, 11:29:27 PM »
AI will say that I had a big hope that Bobby Jarzombek would have had a shot once a change was needed, and I sometimes still wonder what he could have brought into the new band;

Jarzombek was contacted and knocked back the chance at an audition (if memory serves correct).

Correct. BJ didn't want to audition for DT. It's a shame though as he was the first person I thought of as a replacement for MP.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2015, 08:17:20 AM »

Correct. BJ didn't want to audition for DT. It's a shame though as he was the first person I thought of as a replacement for MP.

B.Lee

Would of loved for Bobby J to be in DT. Monster player for Fates Warning. His drumming work in Ziergler's Esc is awesome. Check it out.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2015, 09:36:10 AM »
I like him too. Didn't he really not want to get the call either? I thought I remember reading that he really didn't want to get the call or the job
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #240 on: November 17, 2015, 02:35:38 PM »
I like him too. Didn't he really not want to get the call either? I thought I remember reading that he really didn't want to get the call or the job

IIRC, he got the call from DT's manager but he said he liked the Fates Warning, Halford, and Sebastian Bach gigs so he didn't even want to be considered for the auditions.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #241 on: November 17, 2015, 02:36:53 PM »

B.Lee

Would of loved for Bobby J to be in DT. Monster player for Fates Warning. His drumming work in Ziergler's Esc is awesome. Check it out.

Thanks for the heads up. I will.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: December 12, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »
https://www.moderndrummer.com/2019-polling-form/

Mike's up for a 2019 award in there............I gave him a vote -  and a few others who have had some sort of impact on me (which wasn't many).   Most of the drummers mentioned on that page are news to me  :D

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #243 on: December 12, 2018, 07:42:53 AM »
Up and coming...Max Portnoy?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
https://www.moderndrummer.com/2019-polling-form/

Mike's up for a 2019 award in there............I gave him a vote -  and a few others who have had some sort of impact on me (which wasn't many).   Most of the drummers mentioned on that page are news to me  :D

Didn't know Mike was nominated here, definitely gets my vote :metal

Up and coming...Max Portnoy?

Notably following the steps of his father, as he's already in two bands and had to put one on hiatus to join the other one :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."