Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 121266 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)
« Reply #805 on: March 06, 2024, 10:50:05 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vRyn9dMLVg
Drum perfection  :hefdaddy

Without trying to start another pointless and endless debate, just wanted to say I'm going to miss that.

One of the comments refers to MP as being "the Lars of prog". Really? :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #806 on: March 06, 2024, 12:20:56 PM »
well, he doesn't practice and does sound a bit sloppy at times  :-\

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: March 06, 2024, 01:27:35 PM »
Oh, come on.

Still, at least you have a choice over whether to listen to the new album.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #808 on: March 06, 2024, 01:30:56 PM »
I would say MP is to MM what Bonham is to Peart.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #809 on: March 06, 2024, 01:31:42 PM »

Been covered here many, many times--that's not really true at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #810 on: March 08, 2024, 07:34:44 PM »

Without trying to start another pointless and endless debate, just wanted to say I'm going to miss that.

One of the comments refers to MP as being "the Lars of prog". Really? :lol

Yeah, that is way over the top in my book. I do not see those two as the same. I am not even saying Lars is a bad drummer. I think he gets a lot of unwarranted hate.

There are different styles out there. Some are more about vibe and energy and that's cool too. In the beginning, a lot of those MP drum parts were pretty inventive to me and I give him a lot of credit for that. When I found out about DT I was into a lot of the bigger metal acts like Pantera. I loved that stuff but when I heard I&W I thought it was a whole different level of creativity. I can't say that about Lars.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #811 on: March 08, 2024, 07:39:22 PM »

Same. I have been listening to that song a lot lately and dig the cymbal work on the verse. Doesn't sound particularly complex to me although I will let the drummers chime in on that, but it interacts with the band perfectly. He is known for being a robotic technical drummer but his sense of orchestration is second to none in the metal world.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #812 on: March 09, 2024, 12:18:24 PM »
Shows you where my head is at:  I took the "Lars" comment not as a dig against any playing ability, but how he's transcended a simple genre and has been a force to be reckoned with in the bands he's in, tackling other things like artwork, lyrics, setlists...

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #813 on: March 09, 2024, 01:12:23 PM »
Shows you where my head is at:  I took the "Lars" comment not as a dig against any playing ability, but how he's transcended a simple genre and has been a force to be reckoned with in the bands he's in, tackling other things like artwork, lyrics, setlists...

I'm as a big a Lars guy as anyone else, but no way does a comparison to him mean a compliment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: March 10, 2024, 03:34:52 AM »
Yeah. I like Stad's interpretation but the likelihood of that being the OP's intention is... limited, I would say.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #815 on: March 10, 2024, 08:59:37 AM »

Same. I have been listening to that song a lot lately and dig the cymbal work on the verse. Doesn't sound particularly complex to me although I will let the drummers chime in on that, but it interacts with the band perfectly. He is known for being a robotic technical drummer but his sense of orchestration is second to none in the metal world.
It is and I can tell you, that section of the piece doesn't seem hard to play, but it very much is, because of the coordination required, especially with the hihat parts (stepping the hihats and not stepping in sequence and perfect time amongst other things). The funny thing is, that section isn't even the hardest of the piece.  And of course the interplay with everyone is very musical (and precise).
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #816 on: March 11, 2024, 09:49:03 AM »
Yeah. I like Stad's interpretation but the likelihood of that being the OP's intention is... limited, I would say.

No doubt;  I don't think it was a compliment either.  It's the internet.