Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 121333 times)

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Welcome to the Family)
« Reply #525 on: October 06, 2023, 01:14:38 PM »
I think what reminds me of Amob is it sounds like that generic kind of "buttrock" from the early 2000s but like after it was popular. They both have a few neat parts and twists, but also silly cliche lyrics. Like good for Mike, I hope he's proud of it. Genuinely. But I did laugh at "torrid air always rises."

Because farts.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: October 06, 2023, 04:37:47 PM »
I think what reminds me of Amob is it sounds like that generic kind of "buttrock" from the early 2000s but like after it was popular. They both have a few neat parts and twists, but also silly cliche lyrics. Like good for Mike, I hope he's proud of it. Genuinely. But I did laugh at "torrid air always rises."

Because farts.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 05:28:07 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #527 on: October 07, 2023, 06:20:52 AM »
I really like what MM brings to DT, so it saddens me to say that this song does absolutely nothing for me. And nothing he says in the interview gives me hope that the rest of the album will be any better.

It's ironic, but going by his comments regarding his songsriting approach - the "don't play anything too fancy except underneath the solo section" -, it sounds like he'd be a good fit for Sons of Apollo, who have used a similar approach to constructing their songs. I very much dislike it in both cases.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 01:02:18 PM by Kyo »
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #528 on: October 07, 2023, 12:56:53 PM »
I guess I can see the Adrenaline Mob comparison. But to me, this album is kind of fascinating in the Mangini basically wrote 95% of it. I'm excited to hear the rest even though the first sing isn't really doing much for me. I also listened to it on youtube through my car in the middle of a dense forest up north while driving back from vacation. I was thinking about holding out until the damn thing was released but I'm unclear on when that will be or even if Mangini is planning on a physical release. Kind of an odd way to go about releasing it but I guess it goes with the theme of doing 95% of it himself.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #529 on: October 08, 2023, 11:48:11 AM »
I’ve listened to it about 10 times so far. I guess I’m looking to see if I’m just missing something. It is really just a straight groove oriented rock tune, which is exactly how Mike described it. The lyrics are meh. But no biggie.

Also this track reinforces my previous feeling that I prefer Mangini outside of DT. I literally love everything I’ve heard from him, from Extreme to Vai to Mullmuzzler and James LaBrie. I’ve heard him in guest spots and tribute albums as well. I always thought he was on the money. But his work in DT...weeelllllll
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #530 on: October 09, 2023, 01:22:45 PM »
Didn't care for this song.  Like, at all.

Hopefully the rest of the album is more to my taste.  But if not, oh well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #531 on: October 09, 2023, 01:54:27 PM »
I’ve listened to it about 10 times so far. I guess I’m looking to see if I’m just missing something. It is really just a straight groove oriented rock tune, which is exactly how Mike described it. The lyrics are meh. But no biggie.

Also this track reinforces my previous feeling that I prefer Mangini outside of DT. I literally love everything I’ve heard from him, from Extreme to Vai to Mullmuzzler and James LaBrie. I’ve heard him in guest spots and tribute albums as well. I always thought he was on the money. But his work in DT...weeelllllll

Haha, I read that fast and it sounded like "The lyrics are meth. But no boogie."   

Haha, carry on.  :)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #532 on: October 09, 2023, 02:24:07 PM »

Haha, I read that fast and it sounded like "The lyrics are meth. But no boogie."   

Haha, carry on.  :)

:lol
Can't we find the minds

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #533 on: October 10, 2023, 03:01:00 AM »
I really like what MM brings to DT, so it saddens me to say that this song does absolutely nothing for me. And nothing he says in the interview gives me hope that the rest of the album will be any better.

It's ironic, but going by his comments regarding his songsriting approach - the "don't play anything too fancy except underneath the solo section" -, it sounds like he'd be a good fit for Sons of Apollo, who have used a similar approach to constructing their songs. I very much dislike it in both cases.

Imagine Mike Mangini replacing Mike Portnoy in Sons Of Apollo for some reason  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Trav86

« Reply #534 on: October 10, 2023, 03:33:40 AM »

Imagine Mike Mangini replacing Mike Portnoy in Sons Of Apollo for some reason  :lol

The stuff nightmares are made of.
Can't we find the minds

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #535 on: October 10, 2023, 01:08:17 PM »
Well if anyone is still interested in MM album... :D (I do, very much)
From his Facebook:
"...Next single is out in less than 2 weeks and full album in November."
So, I believe the next single is on 10/20.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #536 on: October 10, 2023, 01:11:26 PM »
By the way, Freak of Nature in fact reminds me something in a modern rock vein like Halestorm's Vicious, that is a band (and album) that I really love.

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #537 on: October 11, 2023, 01:10:11 PM »
Apropos of nothing else, I’m watching the 4th Wall blu-Ray for the first time in a while…

‘The Shattered Fortress’ is absolutely mental on all fronts. All the instrumentalists shine but Mangini really fucking delivers. Anyone doubting the passion in this guy needs to watch this again!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #538 on: October 11, 2023, 08:04:49 PM »
Apropos of nothing else, I’m watching the 4th Wall blu-Ray for the first time in a while…

‘The Shattered Fortress’ is absolutely mental on all fronts. All the instrumentalists shine but Mangini really fucking delivers. Anyone doubting the passion in this guy needs to watch this again!

His finest hour with DT so far is that DVD. Shattered Fortress, Illumination Theory etc...he simply SLAYS.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #539 on: October 12, 2023, 04:24:34 AM »
Listened yesterday to both Into The Great Divide albums, that's how MM was supposed to sound in DT... I think it's his best sound ever, specially in the second album! Great production by Richard Chycki as well

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #540 on: October 12, 2023, 04:44:53 AM »
The irony is that he only plays on the first ITGD album (and Rich Chycki only mixed that one), the second one was entirely programmed by Zack Zalon. But yes, both are great, although I much prefer the first one.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #541 on: October 12, 2023, 07:13:40 AM »
The irony is that he only plays on the first ITGD album (and Rich Chycki only mixed that one), the second one was entirely programmed by Zack Zalon. But yes, both are great, although I much prefer the first one.

Yeah, MM is only on the first one. IIRC, Zack wanted him for the second too, but Mike was in the studio with DT at the time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #542 on: October 12, 2023, 10:26:56 AM »

The more you know...  :biggrin:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #543 on: October 17, 2023, 08:48:41 PM »
New single "Not Drowning" coming this friday :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #544 on: October 20, 2023, 11:39:30 AM »

I remain unconvinced by this music. And is he doubling guitar solo phrases on the drums in every song? Man, that will get old really fast if that is the case.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #545 on: October 20, 2023, 02:52:53 PM »

I remain unconvinced by this music. And is he doubling guitar solo phrases on the drums in every song? Man, that will get old really fast if that is the case.

In interviews that’s basically what he said. Grooves in the verses and chorus and following the solos in the solo section.

Yeah, it’s a formula that gets old fast.

And for this song…it’s not great. The lyrics and vocal melody are kinda amateur. Sorry, that’s the only way I know how to describe it.
Can't we find the minds

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #546 on: October 20, 2023, 05:28:55 PM »

In interviews that’s basically what he said. Grooves in the verses and chorus and following the solos in the solo section.

Yeah, it’s a formula that gets old fast.

And for this song…it’s not great. The lyrics and vocal melody are kinda amateur. Sorry, that’s the only way I know how to describe it.

It's like Room 137 got turned up...It's fantastic stuff....I have no idea what you, or anyone else, is expecting from this project.

Also...From the YouTube video...

"While listening to the chorus part of this song sometime in 2018, I heard word sounds in my mind and the word “drowning” fit it pretty well. I didn’t want to write about it literally though. I used a thesaurus and the internet to find related words and topics because my lyrics are never about personal events or stories.

Searching terms related to "drowning" eventually led me to the word “confusion.” That made me think of the confusion surrounding the findings of Quantum Mechanics. I found instances of physicists and mathematicians saying that the test results seemed strange and “wrong," and that they could not reconcile it with their view of reality.  Some said there are things about it we cannot know, or maybe are not supposed to know.  It seemed to me that spending too much time immersing oneself in it can make a person crazy. Einstein died confounded by it spending countless hours trying to recocile it with the reality he knew. The myriad of unfounded conjectures outside the physics community conjured up a comedy skit in my mind. The lines “Not Drowning” and “I will breathe” each relate to the hope of clearing away what is blurring the reality of something in all kinds of situations.

For a song lyric, I suspected that singing about physics wouldn’t be as fun as the idea of jumping in a saltwater pool. I needed a descriptive location for it. “Backyard” didn’t work, so I used the word “nation” because everyone lives in one. That word led me to “radiation,” as that’s what heats up a pool and has a cool sound to it when sung. Mainly, words come to me as sounds, then I search around and form something cohesive, but try not to sacrifice how the words sound.

I thought this might be interesting to know about. At the end of the day, however, it’s just a song for rocking out!

And then there's the simultaneous 7/8 in Common Time and a wild solo section for the Musos!"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Trav86

« Reply #547 on: October 20, 2023, 06:14:23 PM »
I don’t like Room 137. So I guess that’s why.
Can't we find the minds

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #548 on: October 20, 2023, 06:46:26 PM »

Room 137 needs to thank Out Of Reach not it not being the worst song on the album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #549 on: October 21, 2023, 04:49:03 AM »

Room 137 needs to thank Out Of Reach not it not being the worst song on the album.

Ha. For me that coveted last place spot goes to Viper King.
Can't we find the minds

Offline devieira73

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #551 on: October 22, 2023, 07:24:47 AM »
Wen you hear Portnoy you hear a signature. when you hear mangini you hear 100 same drummers. So far a dull album.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #552 on: October 22, 2023, 08:08:18 AM »
Wen you hear Portnoy you hear a signature. when you hear mangini you hear 100 same drummers. So far a dull album.

I partially agree with this. I think Mangini’s orchestral style of doing drum runs that follow the melody is sort of his signature sound. Like Bozzio pushed farther. But is that something that is noticeable, especially to non-drummers and non-musicians, as Portnoy? Probably not. Portnoy has a signature sound to his drums, not just the way he plays. Mangini’s drums sound different on everything he plays on.
Can't we find the minds

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #553 on: October 22, 2023, 02:00:36 PM »
MM's signature thing besides the orchestration like that is the fully lefty and fully righty playing with a mirror image kit. That and crazy polyrhythms.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #554 on: October 22, 2023, 02:27:29 PM »
MM's signature thing besides the orchestration like that is the fully lefty and fully righty playing with a mirror image kit. That and crazy polyrhythms.

Yeah, I was mainly thinking of a style that you can hear. I don’t think you can listen and go “oh that’s all lefty”.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: October 23, 2023, 08:03:41 AM »

And that's largely why it's lost on me.  Couldn't care less if he plays with his left hand, right hand, or his third hand.  Music for me is almost entirely visceral, even when I DO know what's going on behind the scenes.   There's NO DOUBT that what he does physically is impressive, but TO ME - and everyone can make their own determination, and there is no right answer - that doesn't translate, almost at all, into any visceral musical response.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: October 23, 2023, 08:40:44 AM »
Yeah. Neither of these tunes has done anything positive for me. All a bit AI-sounding.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #557 on: October 23, 2023, 09:07:44 AM »
I don't even know how to react to this, since I'm one who loves the sound of MM's drum playing without rationalizing any of his technique. I really love his work on DT, specially in the last 2 albums, truly incredible. And I also admire that he's still studying and pushing his playing forward. I guess if people don't feel it, nothing can be done. In fact, although I agree there's nothing groundbreaking in these songs, I'll buy and hear the album because of the drum work alone (and I do that for a few other drummers outside DT too).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #558 on: October 23, 2023, 09:19:09 AM »

And that's largely why it's lost on me.  Couldn't care less if he plays with his left hand, right hand, or his third hand.  Music for me is almost entirely visceral, even when I DO know what's going on behind the scenes.   There's NO DOUBT that what he does physically is impressive, but TO ME - and everyone can make their own determination, and there is no right answer - that doesn't translate, almost at all, into any visceral musical response.
For me, that technical piece is worthy of admiration in the same way that I admire any craftsmanship going into any product or piece of art.  But it loses some importance if the end product isn't aesthetically pleasing, or useful, as the case may be.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: October 23, 2023, 10:35:40 AM »
I don't even know how to react to this, since I'm one who loves the sound of MM's drum playing without rationalizing any of his technique. I really love his work on DT, specially in the last 2 albums, truly incredible. And I also admire that he's still studying and pushing his playing forward. I guess if people don't feel it, nothing can be done. In fact, although I agree there's nothing groundbreaking in these songs, I'll buy and hear the album because of the drum work alone (and I do that for a few other drummers outside DT too).

That's awesome, though, man. There's nothing to react to; do you enjoy his music?  If yes, then stop posting and go listen to it!  I joke, of course, but there are plenty of acts that I can't really explain but I just like listening to them.  No need to analyze it, and I really couldn't care less if anyone else shares my interest.  I'm not really thinking about those people when I'm listening!!  :)