Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 121339 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Welcome to the Family)
« Reply #455 on: August 29, 2023, 01:17:41 PM »
I gave up listening to him talk a few years ago. No way am I going to attempt to read his written word :biggrin:

:lol :lol :rollin :rollin

Offline Kocak

« Reply #456 on: August 29, 2023, 02:09:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_d0eJ4ay08

Great new performance from MM. Great sounding drums. Every non-DT video makes me think that the DT mixes do not do his drums justice.

Edit: Video reposted by Pearl.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 03:57:49 PM by Kocak »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #457 on: August 29, 2023, 03:11:37 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muI3vscK8LI

Great new performance from MM. Great sounding drums. Every non-DT video makes me think that the DT mixes do not do his drums justice.

:metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: August 30, 2023, 06:45:26 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muI3vscK8LI

Yea his durms sound great in this video.

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #459 on: September 06, 2023, 12:01:38 PM »
SOLO ALBUM MUSIC WILL BE RELEASED IN THE COMING WEEKS.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #460 on: September 06, 2023, 01:40:07 PM »
He’s mentioned in a lot of posts, including his FB post today, about how he’s unhappy with the drum sounds on his albums. I’m curious if this has been brought up with JP or if he’s just venting his frustration on social media or interviews.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #461 on: September 07, 2023, 06:53:32 AM »
It blows my mind that a group of people in the recording field can't agree on what a good drum sound is before releasing the product.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #462 on: September 07, 2023, 10:11:11 AM »
It blows my mind that a group of people in the recording field can't agree on what a good drum sound is before releasing the product.

Capturing a good drum sound seems to have been a universal problem with popular music forever.
Can't we find the minds

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #463 on: September 07, 2023, 10:50:42 AM »
it's not the capturing that's the issue, it's production

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #464 on: September 07, 2023, 11:20:21 AM »
The thing with the DT drum sound is that MP was in charge of the production for so long that he made sure his drums were up in front of the mix and had a very specific sound (same thing applies with guitars and JP), sometimes sacrficing other stuff because of it (keys and bass, mostly). When he left and John P became the main man when it comes to production and sound choices, the drummer perspective was no longer in the equation. Add this to the fact that MM joined a 25 year old already stablished band, so for a while he was just the new guy who had to go along with the previously existing band dynamics.

The drum sound on ADTOE wasn't bad at all, just mixed a bit too low (specially for some of the cymbals), but that would've been "fine" if we weren't coming from the MP-produced era. Then the self-titled came along and they decided they wanted to experiment even more... with the drums! Again, Mike, the new guy, had to stick with it; and even Rich Chycki had to do what the producer asked him to.

The Astonishing was even weirder in the sense that it was built entirely by John and Jordan and the other guys only had to come and record stuff and that's it, no involvement with the other aspects at all. Now, with DOT, A View and whatever comes next there's been a lot more involvement from MM and it definitely shows when it comes to his drum sound. Is it always to his liking? Not really, but that's the producer's choice/fault really. I don't think anything else will dastically change unless they put someone else in charge of the production.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #465 on: September 07, 2023, 12:16:55 PM »

Whatever. GETTING a good drum sound on record.
Can't we find the minds

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #466 on: September 07, 2023, 01:10:52 PM »

Capturing a good drum sound is a lot of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #467 on: September 08, 2023, 06:19:00 AM »
Look, I don't profess to be any genius at sound recording, but I hear something different.  I don't think the SOUND is all that different (there are some differences) but for me, it's the way the mix is, the way the instruments layer together.  The drums since ADTOE just seem so... intrusive to me.  It's like they sit on top of - or beside - the rest of the mix, whereas it sounds to me like there was a more integrated whole in past mixes.   I'm using the word "mix" because I don't have a better one; I'm not suggesting that we're one "remix" away from solving this problem.

I like drums, I notice drums.   Phil Collins was I think no. 2 on my drummer's list. (I mention Phil to avoid any more direct MP/MM comparisons).  He was certainly a "loud" drummer, and he was up front in the mix for sure, on many of those records that have his best playing.  But there was always a synergy with Tony and Mike.  I don't sense that in current DT.  I find myself noticing the drums in the wrong way.  "Why are those beats there?"

Could be a "me" problem.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #468 on: September 20, 2023, 12:36:25 PM »
I have an interview with Mangini scheduled for this Friday! Feel free to send me your questions, and I'll try to fit them in.

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #469 on: September 21, 2023, 05:35:39 AM »
did JP listen to his drumsound on his new album, and shit his pants?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #470 on: September 21, 2023, 07:20:46 AM »
If his solo album has the drum sound he’s been chasing, what are the chances he’ll recreate that on the next DT album?
Can't we find the minds

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #471 on: September 21, 2023, 07:40:26 AM »
I have an interview with Mangini scheduled for this Friday! Feel free to send me your questions, and I'll try to fit them in.

DT are expected to enter the studio later this year to start working on DT16. Will he bring the bigger kit back like on his solo album or is he going to stick with the simplified one we saw for the latest tour?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #472 on: September 21, 2023, 12:00:06 PM »
Hi, Rodrigo, congratulations for the upcoming interview!
My questions:
1) Since MM already manifested his disliking about the drum sound on ADTOE and on self-titled (I know it's not the more polite way to introduce the matter - make it work! :D ;)), there are some possibility for him to re-record those drums and include them in a remix in some kind of anniversary edition for those albums?
2) What (and when) will be the next live release of the present encarnation of DT on LNF archives?
3) What drummers of the new generation that he recommends to listen to?
4) He expects to tour for his album solo?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 04:15:48 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #473 on: September 21, 2023, 02:54:16 PM »
Thank you guys for the questions! I'm sure I'll be able to fit in many of them.

Not sure if I'll be able to discuss the album in too much detail- they've been keeping it pretty secretive for the last few weeks, and Mike might not be willing to talk about the lineup. But I hope he's open for it. I listened to the album, and it sounds modern, slick, and NOTHING like DT.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #474 on: September 21, 2023, 03:09:39 PM »
http://www.manginiband.com/
There are already some details about the album in the "Album Credits & Info" section.

Had found this before, but it was still under construction. It's an interesting lineup for sure. Can't wait for the first single!

Hi Rodrigo! The line-up is here. Although it seems this site is under construction, it also seems that it's no secret.

Edit: http://www.manginiband.com/album-musicians/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #475 on: September 21, 2023, 04:04:29 PM »
Some more questions for your consideration:

-Now that he has been in DT for almost 13 years (I don't know if we actually know the "official" date he joined--maybe ask him that, if he remembers?), what are some of the most difficult challenges in playing the music or being part of the band that maybe he didn't expect when he joined?
-What DT songs has he especially enjoyed playing live?  Any that he hasn't?
-What stories from the road can he share that fans might not know?
-Is it ever hard to come off of stage late at night after a long day and a full set, and have to "turn it on" and put on a smile when doing after-show meetups?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #476 on: September 22, 2023, 07:01:16 AM »
What is his favorite venue to perform in? Why?

Thanks!! 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #477 on: September 22, 2023, 09:28:11 AM »
When he got the call that he got the job, what did he do right there and then? Did he run out to the living room and tell his wife? How did they celebrate?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #478 on: September 22, 2023, 09:35:34 AM »
Does he miss teaching?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #479 on: September 22, 2023, 09:49:54 AM »
What’s his approach to drum tuning?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #480 on: September 22, 2023, 10:25:23 AM »
I'd like to know more about his time drumming on the Mullmuzzler/JLB solo albums. Was he given free rein? Did he ever get to sit down with James or Matt during the recording or was it all done individually/long distance? What does he think of Peter Wildoer on the most recent ones?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #481 on: September 22, 2023, 10:41:19 AM »
Does he know where to get sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #482 on: September 22, 2023, 10:55:05 AM »
I'd like to know more about his time drumming on the Mullmuzzler/JLB solo albums. Was he given free rein? Did he ever get to sit down with James or Matt during the recording or was it all done individually/long distance? What does he think of Peter Wildoer on the most recent ones?

Would like to know more about this!

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #483 on: September 24, 2023, 06:51:58 AM »
Just gave a read through the website section "The Story of" and it felt like a lot 😅

I normally enjoy reading these things you know, but it seems to me Mike has developed this album based on lots of feelings towards DT, like frustrations from being excluded from TA writing and overall mixing sessions. Not trying to create drama here, but it does seem like this solo album is a type of answer to some of that.

With that said, can't wait to listen to the music!!! The line up looks interesting.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #484 on: September 25, 2023, 06:57:12 AM »
Freak of Nature on October 6th  :tup

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: September 25, 2023, 06:58:16 PM »
Just gave a read through the website section "The Story of" and it felt like a lot 😅

I normally enjoy reading these things you know, but it seems to me Mike has developed this album based on lots of feelings towards DT, like frustrations from being excluded from TA writing and overall mixing sessions. Not trying to create drama here, but it does seem like this solo album is a type of answer to some of that.

With that said, can't wait to listen to the music!!! The line up looks interesting.

From what I read in the text, there's no clear mention that Mike created his solo album in response to any frustrations or feelings he might have had during his time in Dream Theater. The text mostly talks about how he made the album, his use of technology, collaborations, and his musical journey.

Of course, it's possible that his personal experiences and emotions played a part in shaping the album, like maybe he wanted more creative freedom or a different musical direction. But the text itself doesn't give us concrete proof of this. So, saying that the solo album is directly tied to his experiences in Dream Theater would be more of a guess rather than something the text outright tells us.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #487 on: September 26, 2023, 11:21:27 AM »
Amazing GIF/meme!! How I never saw that (here) before?! :lol

Offline devieira73

« Reply #488 on: September 26, 2023, 06:02:18 PM »

Offline Kocak

« Reply #489 on: September 28, 2023, 08:03:42 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1GVVv42Ry4

Another great MM performance and sound.