Poll

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

Author Topic: The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)  (Read 120820 times)

Offline nattmorker

Re: The Mike Mangini Thread (Welcome to the Family)
« Reply #280 on: July 09, 2020, 03:51:57 PM »

Yeah, he's definitely feeling the music and playing what feels most musical to him, it's just that he's wired in a much more mathematical way than most of us. To me, it's fascinating.

That's fascinating to me aswell. That's what feel most musical to him, everyone feels things differently. As a mathematician myself, I see that many people don't think mathematics are beautiful and rather think of them as a mechanical-cold thing, but mathematics are one of the most beautiful, deep and artistic expression of the mind. It's an indescribable beauty!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #281 on: July 12, 2020, 03:13:32 PM »

I love the way he demonstrates PBT in the very beginning and counts off 19, demonstrates it, plays it in real time then shrugs and goes 'that's that' at around the 40 second mark. It cracks me up because he's basically going, what's the big deal? I mean, it sounds easy to me but I know better.

And yes, they have done a better job capturing his tone with each album.

To me - as a drummer who is a little more obsessed with the feel and playing for the song...I find it a bit weird that he demonstrates a section of a song then talks you through

what he was thinking mathematically rather than complimenting the music or just playing along with the feel of the section etc. It's always

" this section is in 19 - so I played 3 16th notes in 7 and then 7 32nd notes in 5 " yadda yadda.

Well i think this is how his brain works. Having watched quite a lot of his videos, and the way he approaches improvisation and composition, he's just a very unique person. It's his way of complimenting the music, but he thinks in a very systematic way and is very quick to break down any kind of rhythm in a "binary" way, so to speak.

I think if you notice the way he plays the cymbals you can understand the difference in how he feels the beat, compared to MP for example. It feels like he's putting the notes in a grid. In some songs it works really well, in some others it might feel a bit weird, but that's also because of the non-dynamic production he's had on the DT albums.

He breathes numbers.

He even wrote a song about a guy who was obsessed with the number 137. That alone, should explain his reasoning with using math in his drumming to compliment different Tempo and Time Patterns. It's pretty cool if you ask me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: July 13, 2020, 06:45:52 AM »
...to be fair - he noticed that the tempo of the jam they were playing was 137 BPM which reminded him of the story...

It wasn't like he rocked up to Yonderbarn one day and announced he was going to write a song about The Number 137 and it shall be 137BPM

Offline N4Player

« Reply #283 on: July 15, 2020, 09:29:13 PM »
Mike Mangini (Dream Theater) - drumtalk [episode 52]

Thanks for posting this. I really hope that Mangini continues with DT long term. I also hope he is given the freedom he was on D/T. Its his best album and showcases his strengths the best so far. I've been a huge fan of his since I saw him with Extreme in 95. I would be lying if I didn't admit that the whole JP/MP solo album thing doesn't have me feeling like the door is open for a Mangini exit. It would be a shame. All respect to Portnoy as Dream Theater has been my fave for a long time now, but I don't want him back. The social media marketing I'm sure will help John Petrucci sell more Terminal Velocity records, but I hope it isn't at the cost of losing someone of Mangini's humanity and talent. Just get the feeling Mangini isn't quite himself in the interview. He could just be tired. I would have loved to have seen Terminal Velocity with Myung and Mangini. Not a criticism, just would have been cool.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #284 on: July 16, 2020, 06:00:38 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I really hope that Mangini continues with DT long term. I also hope he is given the freedom he was on D/T. Its his best album and showcases his strengths the best so far. I've been a huge fan of his since I saw him with Extreme in 95. I would be lying if I didn't admit that the whole JP/MP solo album thing doesn't have me feeling like the door is open for a Mangini exit. It would be a shame. All respect to Portnoy as Dream Theater has been my fave for a long time now, but I don't want him back. The social media marketing I'm sure will help John Petrucci sell more Terminal Velocity records, but I hope it isn't at the cost of losing someone of Mangini's humanity and talent.

I feel kind of the same way as you. Now I think Portnoy returning isn't a matter of "if" anymore, but a matter of "when", I just hope that happens if MM leaves by his own will and not because they ask him to.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #285 on: July 16, 2020, 06:44:16 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I really hope that Mangini continues with DT long term. I also hope he is given the freedom he was on D/T. Its his best album and showcases his strengths the best so far. I've been a huge fan of his since I saw him with Extreme in 95. I would be lying if I didn't admit that the whole JP/MP solo album thing doesn't have me feeling like the door is open for a Mangini exit. It would be a shame. All respect to Portnoy as Dream Theater has been my fave for a long time now, but I don't want him back. The social media marketing I'm sure will help John Petrucci sell more Terminal Velocity records, but I hope it isn't at the cost of losing someone of Mangini's humanity and talent.

I feel kind of the same way as you. Now I think Portnoy returning isn't a matter of "if" anymore, but a matter of "when", I just hope that happens if MM leaves by his own will and not because they ask him to.

I agree with this. A few years ago I would have thought there was no way Mangini would leave on his own. Or that they would let Portnoy come back. But, after that interview with MM that was was posted recently. I have the feeling that if he isn’t more involved on the next album, he may lose interest. He seemed almost insulted when talking about it.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #286 on: July 16, 2020, 06:44:47 PM »

Let's get some focus here, people. MP has just recorded the drum parts for a JP solo album. People keep referring to it as a collaboration of some sort but that couldn't be farther away from the truth. He just recorded drum parts (with whatever degree of liberty) for music that was entirely written and conceived by JP. His actual input was likely equal to that of any hired session musician (JP and MP's long history as writing partners in DT notwithstanding). I don't understand how that translates into some sort of profecy that MP is bound to return to DT.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #287 on: July 16, 2020, 08:03:02 PM »

Let's get some focus here, people. MP has just recorded the drum parts for a JP solo album. People keep referring to it as a collaboration of some sort but that couldn't be farther away from the truth. He just recorded drum parts (with whatever degree of liberty) for music that was entirely written and conceived by JP. His actual input was likely equal to that of any hired session musician (JP and MP's long history as writing partners in DT notwithstanding). I don't understand how that translates into some sort of profecy that MP is bound to return to DT.
That's true, but it's one of the initial building blocks that could lead to MP returning to DT. 4 or 5 years after the split, the idea that MP would appear on a JP album would have been unheard of. In fact, it still was a surprise to many people, but given the thawing tensions between MP and most of the band, it wasn't a completely abrupt shock that no one could have seen coming. And of course, this bodes well for an LTE reunion which has been brought up before, and in particular since the pandemic started. You can be sure that MP will be fully collaborating with JP and JR in that setting.

Does that guarantee MP's return to DT? Not at all. There's a lot of other variables that would need to be discussed, not the least of which would be regarding MM. Nonetheless, the possibility of MP returning is far more likely than ever before.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: July 16, 2020, 08:43:24 PM »
I can see only if MM left on his own accord. I'm honestly not surprised that JP is having MP play on his solo album. It's not like JP is doing an album of mumba trance music. MP will fit in very nicely into the style of his album.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #289 on: July 18, 2020, 07:04:19 AM »
I agree with this. A few years ago I would have thought there was no way Mangini would leave on his own. Or that they would let Portnoy come back. But, after that interview with MM that was was posted recently. I have the feeling that if he isn’t more involved on the next album, he may lose interest. He seemed almost insulted when talking about it.

Yeah, he sounded kinda resigned in that interview. It wasn't recorded all that recently, but it fits with the current mood I guess. Maybe some of this is in fact the reason why JP worked with MP on Terminal Velocity and why he and JR have agreed to do another LTE now. Maybe for Mangini it ultimately isn't what he had been hoping for and they are seeing if the time might be right to go back. We'll see.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2020, 07:12:49 AM »

Yeah, he sounded kinda resigned in that interview. It wasn't recorded all that recently, but it fits with the current mood I guess. Maybe some of this is in fact the reason why JP worked with MP on Terminal Velocity and why he and JR have agreed to do another LTE now. Maybe for Mangini it ultimately isn't what he had been hoping for and they are seeing if the time might be right to go back. We'll see.

Based on Portnoy's comments in his latest vinyl video, the LTE thing still sounds iffy.  I could see it being where he, Petrucci and Rudess are all on board to do a new LTE album, but Tony Levin is the question mark.  If that is the case, I hope it becomes an "all or none" situation. While there are certainly a lot of bass players who could hold their own as a player with those three, Levin's unique style is a big reason why the LTE sound is so great, and that is not replaceable.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »
Mangini seems happy to me in Dream Theater. Wasn't that comment made before D/T was made? I could've sworn I read him saying that before they went into the studio, after The Astonishing tours.

If we get a Mangini solo album soon. It'd be awesome to compare his and JP's, that way we could get a hint of what Mangini can bring to the future albums.

At the end of the day, I think he's grateful he's in a band where he can implement his vast Technical Knowledge and finally use the Wonderous Drum Kit Setup he has been working on before being in Dream Theater, and still is improving.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Trav86

« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2020, 03:17:43 PM »
Mangini seems happy to me in Dream Theater. Wasn't that comment made before D/T was made? I could've sworn I read him saying that before they went into the studio, after The Astonishing tours.

If we get a Mangini solo album soon. It'd be awesome to compare his and JP's, that way we could get a hint of what Mangini can bring to the future albums.

At the end of the day, I think he's grateful he's in a band where he can implement his vast Technical Knowledge and finally use the Wonderous Drum Kit Setup he has been working on before being in Dream Theater, and still is improving.

He talked about that while on tour for D/T.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #293 on: July 18, 2020, 04:44:40 PM »
Everyone, I love ya.  But this whole MM leaving and MP coming back has come out of whole cloth.  There's nothing to it.  Bringing up interviews that happened right after the creation of TA is completely out of current context.  MM and the whole band loved the experience of recording D/T.  If JP had chosen a different drummer none of this would even be discussed.  Just because he didn't pick JM as bassist, does that mean their thinking of replacing him? No!  Of course not!

Mike was bummed in that interview because he didn't get very much creative input during the writing of TA, that all changed with the writing of D/T.  Just because JP chose MP to drum on his solo album does not mean or imply ANYTHING.

Can we stop with this drama infused nonsense already?  Sheesh.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Trav86

« Reply #294 on: July 18, 2020, 06:20:53 PM »
Everyone, I love ya.  But this whole MM leaving and MP coming back has come out of whole cloth.  There's nothing to it.  Bringing up interviews that happened right after the creation of TA is completely out of current context.  MM and the whole band loved the experience of recording D/T.  If JP had chosen a different drummer none of this would even be discussed.  Just because he didn't pick JM as bassist, does that mean their thinking of replacing him? No!  Of course not!

Mike was bummed in that interview because he didn't get very much creative input during the writing of TA, that all changed with the writing of D/T.  Just because JP chose MP to drum on his solo album does not mean or imply ANYTHING.

Once again. The interview I was referring to was on tour for D/T. It’s on the drum talk YouTube channel. They talk about D/T in the interview.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: July 18, 2020, 06:21:14 PM »
People on YouTube are already *CONVINCED* MP is coming back.

Their proof ?

Dream Theater uploaded Solitary Shell - which has MP drumming on it.

Well i'm sold. . . . .

They also uploaded a WDADU song - does that mean Charlie Dominici and Kevin Moore are also coming back ?

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #296 on: July 18, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »

Once again. The interview I was referring to was on tour for D/T. It’s on the drum talk YouTube channel. They talk about D/T in the interview.

Well, scratch that part of my argument, but the rest I stand by.  :lol  I guess I should read first before I start flapping my lips.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Trav86

« Reply #297 on: July 19, 2020, 05:33:20 AM »
People on YouTube are already *CONVINCED* MP is coming back.

Their proof ?

Dream Theater uploaded Solitary Shell - which has MP drumming on it.

Well i'm sold. . . . .

They also uploaded a WDADU song - does that mean Charlie Dominici and Kevin Moore are also coming back ?

Yes. Obviously.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Trav86

« Reply #298 on: July 19, 2020, 05:35:30 AM »

Well, scratch that part of my argument, but the rest I stand by.  :lol  I guess I should read first before I start flapping my lips.

Before I saw that interview, I would have said all of the same things. Now, I’m not saying that this
Rams he’s leaving and Portnoy is coming back. I’m just saying that I now can see a reason why he would leave.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: July 27, 2020, 06:48:05 PM »
Apart from a one-off show - there's no way that Portnoy is coming back to DT.

100%

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #300 on: July 28, 2020, 01:04:43 PM »
Portnoy returning to DT is not going to happen unless and until Mangini decides he no longer wants to do it.  Which I seriously doubt.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #301 on: July 28, 2020, 01:17:26 PM »
Portnoy returning to DT is not going to happen unless and until Mangini decides he no longer wants to do it.  Which I seriously doubt.
I very much doubt this too.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: July 28, 2020, 06:03:17 PM »
If Mangini quits - I honestly think DT will call it a day.

Seriously. The next album will most likely be out next summer - 2021

A world tour for 18 months - then it will be nearly 2023

Another two more years and it will be 2025 - their 40th anniversary and they will all be pushing 60 with Jordan getting closer to 70.

If Mangini quits after the next album and tour - I don't think 58 yr old Petrucci and 68 year old Rudess will want to go through the rigmarole of getting a new drummer.

----------

I very much doubt this too.

Yes - since his first interviews after he joined which were like " I was crying on my floor praying for a band to come along "...

This is literally his dream job.

-------

Final Thought :   I literally only see Portnoy back for a one off 40th anniversary retrospective a lá When Dream and Day Reunite. Maybe Both Mikes will play and then that will be that.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #303 on: July 28, 2020, 09:27:45 PM »
If Mangini quits - I honestly think DT will call it a day.

Nah. I know some of the DT members are getting a bit long in the tooth but they could be up and running in a month with a new drummer if Mangini left. They wouldn’t even need to stop writing/recording. Not to mention, they’ve got Mike Portnoy (one of the great, stand-in, “journeyman”, ready-to-go drummers in the business) chomping at the bit to rejoin.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:35:36 PM by Volante99 »

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2021, 09:43:36 PM »
Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of Mike being announced as the band's new drummer. Crazy how time flies!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #305 on: April 30, 2021, 01:19:33 PM »
Mike's solo album is finished, although not released yet (as he mentioned recently)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #306 on: April 30, 2021, 04:28:43 PM »
I've heard that youtube interview while doing other things, so maybe I understood wrong, but he didn't say something like the musical/instrumental part was already complete? I understood that he still would come up with the lyrics for his music.
I'm really happy with his growing participation in DT's creative process and I have great expectations about the new album! I think his drumming is a bit of acquired taste. His approach sounds sometimes a bit weird for untrainned ears, but when you start to "get" his style, you start to really appreciate his enourmous vocabulary to write drum parts. A very unique drummer, no doubt!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:35:55 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2021, 12:21:38 PM »
In the hypothetical (and unlikely) world where Mangini quits, my money would be on Portnoy wanting to rejoin but LaBrie being pretty opposed to it. Ultimately, Portnoy would probably rejoin and the classic Portnoy drama machine would be back up and running. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #308 on: May 04, 2021, 04:51:53 PM »
In the hypothetical (and unlikely) world where Mangini quits, my money would be on Portnoy wanting to rejoin but LaBrie being pretty opposed to it. Ultimately, Portnoy would probably rejoin and the classic Portnoy drama machine would be back up and running. :lol

If it gets to where Petrucci, Rudess and Myung want him back...there would have to be some kind of sit-down, peace treaty between Portnoy and LaBrie. But really, if LaBrie felt strongly about him not coming back, I don’t see the other guys going against him. They just don’t seem like they would fuck James over.
Can't we find the minds

Offline tofee35

« Reply #309 on: May 05, 2021, 05:57:05 AM »

If it gets to where Petrucci, Rudess and Myung want him back...there would have to be some kind of sit-down, peace treaty between Portnoy and LaBrie. But really, if LaBrie felt strongly about him not coming back, I don’t see the other guys going against him. They just don’t seem like they would fuck James over.

I don't think Mangini's going anywhere (and I don't want him to). But because speculation is fun, I think a Portnoy transition back wouldn't be as difficult (personality wise) basically because time heals, Portnoy's controlling nature has mellowed, and the roles in DT are forever changed. I can definitely see a cool one off show that happens in the future. I'm calling that it will be the New York show during the 40th Anniversary tour.

-Tof

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #310 on: May 05, 2021, 07:56:04 AM »
I don't think he'd ever be ok with playing shows with a click track.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #311 on: May 05, 2021, 08:04:02 AM »

I don't think Mangini's going anywhere (and I don't want him to). But because speculation is fun, I think a Portnoy transition back wouldn't be as difficult (personality wise) basically because time heals, Portnoy's controlling nature has mellowed, and the roles in DT are forever changed.

Yeah I agree. I meant to post something along these lines last night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #312 on: May 05, 2021, 09:26:29 AM »
Wounds can heal. But I think JLB will be in the position to ask MP for less of that attitude and way he works to be scaled back or eased on JLB, as that relationship was affected by the musical output. If MP had the chance to change singers, he would have done it.

But now the band has a set groove it is on, and MP would put a damper to that. The only thing I see happening now is a reunion one-off, or guest appearance at the final DT show.

MP did a lot for Dream Theater, but he isn't Dream Theater.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #313 on: May 05, 2021, 12:14:15 PM »
Wounds can heal. But I think JLB will be in the position to ask MP for less of that attitude and way he works to be scaled back or eased on JLB, as that relationship was affected by the musical output. If MP had the chance to change singers, he would have done it.

But now the band has a set groove it is on, and MP would put a damper to that. The only thing I see happening now is a reunion one-off, or guest appearance at the final DT show.

MP did a lot for Dream Theater, but he isn't Dream Theater.

:tup :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #314 on: May 05, 2021, 03:50:51 PM »
The JLB/Portnoy situation reminds me of the Styx situation.  JLB is 58 now and probably thinks there is no need to spend his last few working years as a musician working with something with whom he does not get along (Portnoy), similar to how Tommy Shaw and James Young feel about Dennis DeYoung in Styx.  It's easy to say, "time heals all wounds," but, no, it doesn't always, and why should two guys who seem to clearly not like each other anymore spend their later years working together?  There is little benefit to doing so.