Author Topic: The Dance of Eternity meter chart  (Read 9585 times)

Offline MetropolisxPt1

The Dance of Eternity meter chart
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
Im sure most of the veterans have seen this but I like it and its pretty cool to see the meters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwkcRTNMsWs&feature=channel_video_title

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Dance of Eternity meter chart
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
That's some sick DPS.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:20:45 PM »
That's interesting, especially since I had to learn that tune the other day. For the first part my counting system was actually "2 2 3 2 3 2 2 3", but that's for guitar.
What was especially interesting was the click track in the back. Didn't realize they used them.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »
Didn't realize they used them.

rumborak

A big part of JR's job in the band, at least now, is actually making the click tracks.  It's more or less impossible to mix with any time based effects such as delay correctly unless you record to one.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:30:24 PM »
How did you think they did it if they didn't use a click? There have been several videos where you can hear a click track playing in the background.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:56:13 PM »
Yeah, Mike Portnoy said before that they use a click in studio.  Which really isn't a problem.  But he did say that they don't use clicks live.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 02:15:49 AM »
Hehehe, I didn't saw that earlier, nice footage ;) Well, when I looked at those metres charts I could think that there are some various riffs put together in one song as it flows ;) But it's a little madness anyway :) So many times I heard about their music that is a music from musicians only for musicians, but IMO DT music is not so complicated as some other bands I know. I don't have problems with learning the metrum of their songs, but I have big problems in learning for example Meshuggah tunes... Both bands I know very well, almost every song by memory, but just Meshuggah is so odd sometimes, DT is just more musical, no doubt about it.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »
Whose that dude holding the chart? Their butler?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 05:18:01 PM »
:|
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 05:30:09 PM »
It's actually weird to know that we're going to see a wave of Dream Theater fans who don't know who Mike Portnoy is.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 05:32:35 PM »
:rollin

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »
It's actually weird to know that we're going to see a wave of Dream Theater fans who don't know who Mike Portnoy is.

:| Holy shit, that is going to suck.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 10:34:23 PM »

That's impossible. There are 10 studio albums with Mike Portnoy out there. New fans will get the urge of getting "the older" stuff, stuff involving Mike Portnoy.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 11:46:22 PM »

That's impossible. There are 10 studio albums with Mike Portnoy out there. New fans will get the urge of getting "the older" stuff, stuff involving Mike Portnoy.

Yeah, but there will always be noobs.  Two albums down the road, Dream Theater will have another song featured in a video game.  Then some 12-year-old kid is gonna love it and buy the CD.  And be like "OMG THERE DRUMMER IS THE BEST THEM."

And we'll be like, "Yeah, but the debates rage on as to whether he measures up to their first drummer."

And he'll be like, "First what?  I thought Dream Theater was a new band.  I'd never heard of them until the video game."

And then we will, as a forum, all facepalm in unison.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 11:47:51 PM »
I've known people whose favorite DT albums are I&W and Awake, yet they had no idea what a Kevin Moore was.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 11:53:39 PM »
I wish I had friends who knew who DT was or at least liked them. They all say that Tool is better than DT
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 12:22:43 AM »
Comment on YouTube: Uhhh...huh huh...uhhh...Thank God they can't count past 10!

:lol

What are other rock/prog songs that are this crazy? (Not necessarily DT)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 12:31:11 AM »
Yeah there's a lot of people who knows DT only from some single, most known songs like Another Day, Hollow Years etc... My friend don't even heard about Images & Words but he loves Systematic Chaos and especially Forsaken. I was trying to get him a little bit into older DT stuff but he don't like it at all. In fact he only does know who John Petrucci is... But I don't mind, if people don't like DT, they don't want to trash their memories with names or facts that have no matter for them, perfectly normal ;)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 10:25:08 AM »

I've dedicated my recent life to prog and I can say I've never heard a song this crazy.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »

I've dedicated my recent life to prog and I can say I've never heard a song this crazy.
I would say Planet X has some crazy moments...

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »
I've known people whose favorite DT albums are I&W and Awake, yet they had no idea what a Kevin Moore was.

key word 'known'

Offline jsem

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »

Yeah, but there will always be noobs.  Two albums down the road, Dream Theater will have another song featured in a video game.  Then some 12-year-old kid is gonna love it and buy the CD.  And be like "OMG THERE DRUMMER IS THE BEST THEM."

And we'll be like, "Yeah, but the debates rage on as to whether he measures up to their first drummer."

And he'll be like, "First what?  I thought Dream Theater was a new band.  I'd never heard of them until the video game."

I see this as a 100% likely scenario. Painful to think about.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »

I see this as a 100% likely scenario. Painful to think about.

Well to be fair, if someone (in the span of the next 2 albums) likes a DT song in a video game to an substantiate amount, they will youtube DT and find one of the many MANY live vids with Mike Portnoy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:19 AM »
If I was gonna learn Dance Of Eternity - I'd probably just try learn it as a song rather than counting the bars. I think that way would be easier.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:29 AM »

key word 'known'

Did you think I would continue to associate with someone who doesn't know of Kevin Moore?

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »
How? The new drummer can only supply that much new fans at this point of their career, and ANY new fan will know MP at least for their next 3 albums.

I don't want to start assuming things about when DT will finish their career considering the average careers' length of other musicians etc, but I hope you get my point. Most recent fans know KM, CD and DS, and they're not nearly as famous or memorable as part of DT as MP is.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 12:17:58 PM »

I would say Planet X has some crazy moments...
Yeah, they do and lots of bands do. But this tops it IMO.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 12:22:31 PM »
How? The new drummer can only supply that much new fans at this point of their career, and ANY new fan will know MP at least for their next 3 albums.
Then again, if medical science continues at its current rate for the next few decades it's possible that we all live to be about 2000 years old, so he could contribute quite a bit actually.

"Hey guys, did you know that DT had a drummer other than MM? He left the band 150 years ago." Now that would be weird.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 12:28:08 PM »

That's a bit like saying there are Pink Floyd fans who don't know who Roger Waters is.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline scoutmasterdave

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 12:36:59 PM »

That's a bit like saying there are Pink Floyd fans who don't know who Roger Waters is.

This depends entirely on whether or not the new material lives up to previous material.  Even the staunchest David Gilmour fan will easily concede that Pink Floyd's best material came before Waters left.  I strongly suspect that DT's forthcoming album(s) will be every bit as good as previous albums, if not better given the apparently improved chemistry in the band.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »

This depends entirely on whether or not the new material lives up to previous material.  Even the staunchest David Gilmour fan will easily concede that Pink Floyd's best material came before Waters left.  I strongly suspect that DT's forthcoming album(s) will be every bit as good as previous albums, if not better given the apparently improved chemistry in the band.
Nah, fans might not hate the absence of MP, but honestly, even if they start making their best albums with MM, I can't believe there would ever be serious fans who appreciate the band and wouldn't know who MP is. It's not about appreciation or what albums he wrote, the man has been a part of the band for 25 years, and he was the leader of the band.

Most new fans will know that, or alternatively, they won't skip the many paragraphs referring to MP in Wikipedia.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 07:12:26 PM »
If I was gonna learn Dance Of Eternity - I'd probably just try learn it as a song rather than counting the bars. I think that way would be easier.
Being able to count what you play makes playing much easier.