Author Topic: New drummer interview  (Read 11065 times)

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
Re: New drummer interview
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 10:45:32 PM »

Not to derail the topic at hand, but from what I remember it goes something like:
JM: Christian
JP: Catholic
JR: Jewish(?)
and I've read at one point that JLB was Christian, but I think that may have changed in recent years. Not sure.

Ok, back on topic.
[/quote]
This seems correct. I think JLB described himself as a spiritualist. lol
MIKE PORTNOY? JEWISH? greatest thread ever along with John Petrucci's Nails/Snails

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 11:13:43 PM »
GREAT interview!  I am totally excited to hear what he has come up with.  My excitement for the new album is the most since.... SFAM. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »
I know, I said it wasn't rational.  It's just a knee-jerk reaction to seeing all that equipment.  

Part of me is genuinely impressed that he has such a kit and knows what to do with it.  Part of me knows that you just don't need all that.  And maybe a little jealousy thrown in, too.

Online ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2011, 11:19:45 PM »
I know, I said it wasn't rational.  It's just a knee-jerk reaction to seeing all that equipment.  

Part of me is genuinely impressed that he has such a kit and knows what to do with it.  Part of me knows that you just don't need all that.  And maybe a little jealousy thrown in, too.

I've said a few times that I like DT to be serious.  This is the band that's written Disappear, Lifting Shadows, Eve, Wither, stuff like that.  I'm glad MM is bringing that attitude to DT.  But...

Sometimes you have to enjoy the fact you're the biggest prog-metal band on earn and enjoy it slavishly.  Mangini's just so in that mindset with his kit, and it's awesome.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:15:18 AM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2011, 11:40:49 PM »
He is not playing around with this opportunity. He is gonna pull all the stops, and I don't blame him one bit.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2011, 04:13:48 AM »
Amazing interview. It's great to know they picked a guy who really wanted to be in the band.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2011, 06:38:30 AM »
The interviewers name was Jonathan Mover.  I wonder if that's the same Jonathan Mover that played drums for GTR in the 80's.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:29:27 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2011, 07:26:43 AM »
I've been avoiding the interview sessions and the whole reality-show drama, so this is the first time I've even seen his kit or heard much from him, and both are rather impressive.  Even if I do think that if you have so many things to hit that you need to have a second row of them above your head then there's kinda something wrong.

Definitely nothing wrong. Guys like Mangini are on another level. Despite the reality tv drama, the documentary was great, and shows just how passionate Mike was regarding the band. Mangini is a real class act, all around. I'm very excited to see what he brings!

I know it's not a rational reaction.  But it reminds me of the 70's keyboard players, and how the more you had, and actually played during a night, the cooler you were.  Stack 'em up, set them in a circle and stand in the middle, whatever you did.  But that was because you needed your Hammond, Rhodes, Moog, Arp, Mellotron, Clavinet... they were all different keyboards with different sounds.  Then came sampling and eventually digital synths and you didn't need all that.  I wonder why a drummer has to have 30 or 40 things to hit.  I saw an old Beatles video and Ringo Starr had a basic trap kit, eight pieces including cymbals, and he could do anything.  It served the music perfectly.

True, Dream Theater music is much, much more complex than that, and if a drummer knows how to use each of those 30 or 40 pieces of percussion to augment that music, then that's great.  But I can't help looking at that kit and hearing it scream "prog excess!" at me.  Like the keyboardist with 10 keyboards, or the guitarist with eight guitars lined up on stage.

But you just said yourself that the keyboardists had all those different keyboards because they all had their own distinct sounds and purposes.  Well each drum and each cymbal has its own distinct sound and purpose too.  So if he hits all of those drums and makes them sound good in the song (which I foresee happening) then more power to the man.

This. Also remember, he's had to build a kit with playing DTs back catalog in mind. You've seen the size of Portnoys kits, he's probably trying to emulate parts of those kits so he can successfully play those songs. And even then, pretty sure Portnoys kits were bigger. Manginis kit seems smaller, but more spread out. The octobans and cymbals don't need to be mounted up top, he could have them mounted like normal, but I'm assuming he prefers them mounted like that.

Also, as for a guitarist having 8 guitars on stage, I don't see how that's a big deal. Unless they just feel like changing guitars because one is a different color, the guitars are probably all tuned different. So 8 guitars probably means 8 different tunings used throughout that night. I mean, unless you'd prefer them to halt the concert and re-tune (possibly even restring, depending on the tuning) their guitar between songs. OR they could just switch guitars that they've got ready.

Offline jamhet

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2011, 09:07:55 AM »
Awesome interview.
It shows how a hugely respected band Dream Theater is. Even such an established drum legend as Mangini feels somewhat intimidated by their greatness.

and she said, ‘You’re holding back.’ She’s not a musician, but she said, ‘I know you. You’re holding back.’ And she was absolutely right. I said, ‘You know what, I’m afraid of doing something wrong or doing too much.’
Yup, this is exactly what I've been worried about. His drumming is quite simplistic for a prog metal context, even more so for DT, he really needs to step his game up.
I hope he opens up and lets the sparks fly.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2011, 09:09:28 AM »
Awesome interview.
It shows how a hugely respected band Dream Theater is. Even such an established drum legend as Mangini feels somewhat intimidated by their greatness.

and she said, ‘You’re holding back.’ She’s not a musician, but she said, ‘I know you. You’re holding back.’ And she was absolutely right. I said, ‘You know what, I’m afraid of doing something wrong or doing too much.’
Yup, this is exactly what I've been worried about. His drumming is quite simplistic for a prog metal context, even more so for DT, he really needs to step his game up.
Um, dude, he's the worlds fastest drummer. :P Check out some videos on the internet. He's insane.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »
Awesome interview.

Simplistic?!

Just, wtf.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gummyfish

• I need no instruction on how to rock.
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 09:50:29 AM »
am i the only one who never questioned whether the new drummer was gonna write his own parts? i mean they auditioned 7 of the greates drummers, it would seem pointless if they didn't get to play their own ideas. anyway, i can't wait to see what he comes up with  :metal
Admire the Invisible,The misunderstood majesty of the imaginative ghost

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2011, 09:58:19 AM »
All I know is that I'd love to play that kit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jamhet

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »
Um, dude, he's the worlds fastest drummer.
Well, good for him. He sure could run a marathon, but I'm talking about creative drumming. Apart from having speed, his playing is boring.

He bearly incorporates rhythmic modulation, does no cool displacements, adds no polyrhythms.
Yeah, he can do all that stuff in a drum solo - but when he plays with a band, he plays simple beats and to make the kids go "wow!" he goes into flurries for the "spectacular" fills which are more about speed than something clever. He doesn't add any colouring, any cool ornaments to his patterns. He has yet to impress me with something else than speed.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2011, 12:14:01 PM »
@jahmet: Hard to say when no ones heard his input in the new album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »
Yes, I think we should wait with such criticism until we've heard DT11...

Offline jamhet

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2011, 05:22:44 PM »
I'm not criticising his drumming on DT11 as that album doesn't even exist yet.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2011, 05:51:52 PM »
I'm not criticising his drumming on DT11 as that album doesn't even exist yet.
I never said you do.
I don't agree with any of your criticism regarding MM's shortcomings that you claim he has, but remember it's a huge possibility that he has been strongly influenced by his new enviroment.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »
Mangini is an incredible drummer.  I'm very excited to have him in Dream Theater.

He isn't "simplistic" and he doesn't need to "step it up".  But thanks for the laugh!   :rollin

Offline jamhet

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2011, 03:38:59 AM »
it's a huge possibility that he has been strongly influenced by his new enviroment.
Yup, I really count on his wife!  :yarr

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2011, 03:52:19 AM »
Um, dude, he's the worlds fastest drummer.
Well, good for him. He sure could run a marathon, but I'm talking about creative drumming. Apart from having speed, his playing is boring.

He bearly incorporates rhythmic modulation, does no cool displacements, adds no polyrhythms.
Yeah, he can do all that stuff in a drum solo - but when he plays with a band, he plays simple beats and to make the kids go "wow!" he goes into flurries for the "spectacular" fills which are more about speed than something clever. He doesn't add any colouring, any cool ornaments to his patterns. He has yet to impress me with something else than speed.

What albums are you talking about? On most albums he's played on, he's been little more than a session musician. Session musicians aren't exactly supposed to be showing off.

Offline purpleplanet10

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2011, 05:09:00 AM »
Oh my god he's got four bass drums and octobarns and everything!

Yeah. it's great to see Pearl Drums and Zildjian cymbals with Dream Theater! I play Pearl & Zildjian also. We have been use to Tama drums (and Tama drum lingo) and MP's set up's for years. Pearl's version of "octobans" are called "rocket toms", or somtimes cslled "quarter toms". the rocket toms are a little brighter in there sound. i have two myself