Author Topic: New drummer interview  (Read 11058 times)

Offline nikatapi

New drummer interview
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »
This is from https://www.metal-hammer.de/news/meldungen/article94544/Dream-Theater-Interview-mit-Portnoy-Nachfolger-Mike-Mangini.html

“I’m pinching myself. I wake up most mornings thinking about my personal playing growth and Dream Theater. I have a smile and it’s amazing—what a great day I have when I acknowledge what is happening to me. How did I end up here? Whoa!

Part of my joining any band, or going for any drumming position, is me just letting what is, be. I don’t want to change anything that’s going on. I just want to play my drums; that’s it, that’s what I want to do. All I’m expecting to do is to be able to have the opportunity to come up with the greatest drum stuff that I can come up with, along with respect to what Dream Theater is already. What Mike Portnoy has made for Dream Theater–and it’s not hard for me to like that–is a great thing, it’s not only hectic drum stuff, it has a sound, and his sound stems from some similar influences. We both love Rush and Metallica, so it’s feeling natural for me to do that. I want to continue to replicate that kind of a vibe, as well as to offer a new drum thing that I have been working on that is Dream Theater.

As for the audition, I just walked in with a great feeling and greeted everyone, ‘Hi guys, I’m ready for this.’ I was absolutely ready to go in there and not make one stinking mistake. In my mind, I had to be like that. This was important to me. I just had too much interest in these people and in this music to blow it. I was not going to blow it.

So there I am. I play the tunes and everything is just forward-motion for me, meaning, I wasn’t thinking, ‘Oh my gosh, this is an audition!’ It was more, ‘Okay, I’m going to count here, I’m going to look at Jordan [Rudess] there playing the keyboard line, John Myung here, John Petrucci there, James LaBrie there, etc.’ I was in the moment. My eyes were picking up everything they were doing. It was like I knew everything they did. For example, if John Myung played something different in ‘The Spirit Carries On,’ I was ready. I was watching, listening and feeling everything they were doing like my life depended on it. When Jordan or John did something in a solo, I followed it. I thrived off that ‘one’ guitar riff I just had to catch. I would look at them and let them know that I knew what they were doing. JP picked up on everything.

We were on the same page 100% it seemed. They kept coming over to me and saying the nicest things, acknowledging what I was doing. I don’t want to sound broken or needy, but I needed them to say these things. I believe we all can use acknowledgement and a dose of niceness with what we really love to do. They knew that I respected them and appreciated being there.”

Mike continues talking about the preparation for recording the new album with Dream Theater

“John [Petrucci] sent me a demo. He didn’t ask me to do anything, he just said, ‘Check it out.’ I grabbed it and thought, ‘I’m going to get back to him quicker than he thinks I am, and I’m going to get back to him with more than he’s expecting. I’m going to go the extra 17 miles.’ So, I transcribed it, got into my studio and recorded it, tried stuff and just did a take. And it was okay. I listened to it and thought to let my wife here it, and she said, ‘You’re holding back.’ She’s not a musician, but she said, ‘I know you. You’re holding back.’ And she was absolutely right. I said, ‘You know what, I’m afraid of doing something wrong or doing too much.’ Anyway, I did another take and I kind of let go. Again, because everything happened so naturally in the audition, that’s what I needed to follow as a feeling: just be me. Not think too much about this, that and the other thing, and just go with what’s coming out naturally. If it’s not the right thing, he’ll tell me.”

Mike summarizes the beginning of this new chapter in his drumming career:

“So, how did it happen…I prayed daily and I just put my head down and said, “I can do this. I cannot fail those who also believe that I can do this. It’s for my family, extended family, friends, fellow drummer friends, endorsement companies and students that also believe that I’ll make good on the gifts I’ve been given. And finally it’s for the Dream Theater family for giving me the opportunity.”

Interview: Jonathan Mover

My appreciation for Mike has grown so much after reading this interview...He is such a humble and great guy, and he seems so excited about being in DT, that proves he was the right choice. :tup
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:17:21 PM by ariich »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: New drummer interview
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »
Cheers for posting that! I edited in some line breaks to make it easier to read. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »
I'm way too excited now. Bring on the album!
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »
Well at least we got a slight insight into the writing, he was sent demos and recorded parts over it. Obviously it's not the final product, but it shows he got to write his own stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:21:44 PM »
I. Want. This. New. Album. In. My. Hands. Right. NOW!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 05:22:12 PM »
Well at least we got a slight insight into the writing, he was sent demos and recorded parts over it. Obviously it's not the final product, but it shows he got to write his own stuff.
We don't know when that was done. We do know that JP wrote at least one song before going to the studio (like with Wither) so he's probably referring to that. As far as we can tell, he was in the studio with them for at least some of the recording.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 05:23:40 PM »
We don't know when that was done. We do know that JP wrote at least one song before going to the studio (like with Wither) so he's probably referring to that. As far as we can tell, he was in the studio with them for at least some of the recording.

Yes, but at least implies that he was given some artistic freedom.

Stop arguing with me on everything!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »
I've been avoiding the interview sessions and the whole reality-show drama, so this is the first time I've even seen his kit or heard much from him, and both are rather impressive.  Even if I do think that if you have so many things to hit that you need to have a second row of them above your head then there's kinda something wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 05:25:29 PM »

Yes, but at least implies that he was given some artistic freedom.

Stop arguing with me on everything!
:lol Sorry, I wasn't actually disagreeing with you, just qualifying your comments. I completely agree that it's definitely good to know that, even if some or all of it he did back in his own studio, he still had the freedom to do his own parts!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 05:29:22 PM »
I think that the drum set is awesome.

Offline John94

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 05:30:33 PM »
This guy is a monster on the drum kit. And a really nice, humble person. Wow. My respect and admiration for Mike Mangini just increased. Thanks for the link! Awesome read.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 05:32:34 PM »
This is the guy.  This is so the guy.  I'm so so so happy he's in this band.

And I already feel like he's elevating himself as a player.  He's trying to approach the music in a way where he's letting go and being creative and putting it all out there.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »
Oh my god he's got four bass drums and octobarns and everything!

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 05:34:01 PM »
I'm most eager to see what he uses those hanging snares for.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 05:38:02 PM »
This is the guy.  This is so the guy.  I'm so so so happy he's in this band.

And I already feel like he's elevating himself as a player.  He's trying to approach the music in a way where he's letting go and being creative and putting it all out there.
Yeah I love the fact that he realised (with his wife's help) that he was holding back and so just went all out. Really great to hear!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »
That interview was great reading! Thanks for posting it.  :)

And I'm also happy that he's apparently creating his own stuff on the new album.

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 06:31:30 PM »
All he needs to do now is to grow a little purple goatee...

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »
I am beyond psyched for this new record!

All the guys seem to be so enthusiastic about it that you just know it's going to be killer!  :metal

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 06:37:55 PM »
well im dumb. missed this thread

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 06:41:17 PM »
Just saying, but a drummer in DT without all those tattoos... I'm kind of excited  :lol

Great interview. This kit just has me intrigued. Portnoy's kit costs around $30,000, how much do you guys think this one does
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline GandL

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »

No way, I have the same look, he's perfect like this  :biggrin:

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 06:55:25 PM »

No way, I have the same look, he's perfect like this  :biggrin:

That was a Joke... I think that Mangini will interact quite a bit with the fans in the future as he seems to have that positive personality. Plus being a teacher gives him that confidence  to do so.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »
It will be interesting to see what MM's religious belief's are. He said he prayed for this to happen. Interesting to know as all the members have varying religious beliefs.

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
I've been avoiding the interview sessions and the whole reality-show drama, so this is the first time I've even seen his kit or heard much from him, and both are rather impressive.  Even if I do think that if you have so many things to hit that you need to have a second row of them above your head then there's kinda something wrong.

Definitely nothing wrong. Guys like Mangini are on another level. Despite the reality tv drama, the documentary was great, and shows just how passionate Mike was regarding the band. Mangini is a real class act, all around. I'm very excited to see what he brings!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
It will be interesting to see what MM's religious belief's are. He said he prayed for this to happen. Interesting to know as all the members have varying religious beliefs.
For me that was the coolest part of that interview.  :tupIf you notice, JP has been ending his posts and press release statments with 'God bless'....Doesn't bother me a bit, in fact, makes me THAT much more excited!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 09:30:17 PM »
DAT KIT! stoked it's Mangini now. It was meant to be.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »

Do they? I thought everyone was Christian with the exception of LaBrie, whose taken more of an irreligious/deist stance.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 10:07:24 PM »
Wow!  That interview just gave me the warm and fuzzies!!! hahaha.  Seriously though, this proves MM is the right guy.  I mean, he is just so happy to be in Dream Theater and you can tell he's going to give us all he has until he's got nothing left to give and more and he's going to have the time of his life doing it!  It's really fucking fantastic.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »

Do they? I thought everyone was Christian with the exception of LaBrie, whose taken more of an irreligious/deist stance.

Not to derail the topic at hand, but from what I remember it goes something like:
JM: Christian
JP: Catholic
JR: Jewish(?)
and I've read at one point that JLB was Christian, but I think that may have changed in recent years. Not sure.

Ok, back on topic.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 10:13:48 PM »
Great interview!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »

Definitely nothing wrong. Guys like Mangini are on another level. Despite the reality tv drama, the documentary was great, and shows just how passionate Mike was regarding the band. Mangini is a real class act, all around. I'm very excited to see what he brings!

I know it's not a rational reaction.  But it reminds me of the 70's keyboard players, and how the more you had, and actually played during a night, the cooler you were.  Stack 'em up, set them in a circle and stand in the middle, whatever you did.  But that was because you needed your Hammond, Rhodes, Moog, Arp, Mellotron, Clavinet... they were all different keyboards with different sounds.  Then came sampling and eventually digital synths and you didn't need all that.  I wonder why a drummer has to have 30 or 40 things to hit.  I saw an old Beatles video and Ringo Starr had a basic trap kit, eight pieces including cymbals, and he could do anything.  It served the music perfectly.

True, Dream Theater music is much, much more complex than that, and if a drummer knows how to use each of those 30 or 40 pieces of percussion to augment that music, then that's great.  But I can't help looking at that kit and hearing it scream "prog excess!" at me.  Like the keyboardist with 10 keyboards, or the guitarist with eight guitars lined up on stage.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 10:19:07 PM »
Good interview.  I'm very optimistic about the band's future now and I absolutely cannot fucking WAIT to hear the new album.

Offline psychdoc

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
That really was an excellent interview. I'd like to read an even more thorough interview with more detailed information on the recording process and Mike's contributions to what the new album will ultimately emerge as. I have a feeling that we may get an interview like this around the time that the new album comes out. Regardless, I am stoked!  :metal

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 10:24:47 PM »

I know it's not a rational reaction.  But it reminds me of the 70's keyboard players, and how the more you had, and actually played during a night, the cooler you were.  Stack 'em up, set them in a circle and stand in the middle, whatever you did.  But that was because you needed your Hammond, Rhodes, Moog, Arp, Mellotron, Clavinet... they were all different keyboards with different sounds.  Then came sampling and eventually digital synths and you didn't need all that.  I wonder why a drummer has to have 30 or 40 things to hit.  I saw an old Beatles video and Ringo Starr had a basic trap kit, eight pieces including cymbals, and he could do anything.  It served the music perfectly.

True, Dream Theater music is much, much more complex than that, and if a drummer knows how to use each of those 30 or 40 pieces of percussion to augment that music, then that's great.  But I can't help looking at that kit and hearing it scream "prog excess!" at me.  Like the keyboardist with 10 keyboards, or the guitarist with eight guitars lined up on stage.

But you just said yourself that the keyboardists had all those different keyboards because they all had their own distinct sounds and purposes.  Well each drum and each cymbal has its own distinct sound and purpose too.  So if he hits all of those drums and makes them sound good in the song (which I foresee happening) then more power to the man.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline ronrule

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 10:32:54 PM »
If I can't get some prog excess from Dream Theater, where the hell am I supposed to go?

(And I'd prefer Jordan use 20 keyboards and Petrucci one of those acoustics-on-a-stand!)