Author Topic: I just want to publicly thank for the band.  (Read 1763 times)

Offline IdoSC

I just want to publicly thank for the band.
« on: April 29, 2011, 03:57:32 PM »
Alright, I know they're not gonna read this, and it's probably kinda cheesy, but I just wanna share my peace.

I'd like to thank this awesome band. The moment their main spokesman (as well as drummer) left the band, they already started communicating with us a lot, lot more. Every band member became active in social networks, they kept cheering the fans up and say everything's gonna be fine. Even better, everything's gonna be awesome.
They already started auditioning barely a month after the announcement. Recently we've learned the process simply defined the words professionalism, quickness, consideration and so much more. They picked the new drummer so quickly, knowing exactly what they wanted, showing nothing less than pure class.

They kept the new drummer a top secret for a few months due to what seems like making decisions on how to announce it, and god knows, it was worth the wait. There's no way in the world I could appreciate this amazing drummer and his strong will to join the band without this documentary. Not only that, but I got to know (or know better) 6 other incredible drummers that I'll most likely follow for a while now. I got to see drummers like Minnemann, Priester, Donati etc for one of the first times in my life, and my appreciation for drummers I've already known better like Peter Wildoer really sky-rocketed.

I hope the guys are doing well recording the album, I'm psyched for getting to see this band in the current lineup for the time being. I really just want to see them going for many, many years and I'm completely thankful they decided not to stop for a hiatus.
While I'm at it, I'd also like to thank Mike Portnoy, because without his incredibly sad departure, I probably wouldn't have thought about how awesome these guys are.

Anyways, long live Dream Theater, and welcome to the family Mike Mangini.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
Re: I just want to publicly thank for the band.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »
Alright, I know they're not gonna read this, and it's probably kinda cheesy, but I just wanna share my peace.

I'd like to thank this awesome band. The moment their main spokesman (as well as drummer) left the band, they already started communicating with us a lot, lot more. Every band member became active in social networks, they kept cheering the fans up and say everything's gonna be fine. Even better, everything's gonna be awesome.
They already started auditioning barely a month after the announcement. Recently we've learned the process simply defined the words professionalism, quickness, consideration and so much more. They picked the new drummer so quickly, knowing exactly what they wanted, showing nothing less than pure class.

They kept the new drummer a top secret for a few months due to what seems like making decisions on how to announce it, and god knows, it was worth the wait. There's no way in the world I could appreciate this amazing drummer and his strong will to join the band without this documentary. Not only that, but I got to know (or know better) 6 other incredible drummers that I'll most likely follow for a while now. I got to see drummers like Minnemann, Priester, Donati etc for one of the first times in my life, and my appreciation for drummers I've already known better like Peter Wildoer really sky-rocketed.

I hope the guys are doing well recording the album, I'm psyched for getting to see this band in the current lineup for the time being. I really just want to see them going for many, many years and I'm completely thankful they decided not to stop for a hiatus.
While I'm at it, I'd also like to thank Mike Portnoy, because without his incredibly sad departure, I probably wouldn't have thought about how awesome these guys are.

Anyways, long live Dream Theater, and welcome to the family Mike Mangini.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said.  :tup

DT has a bright(er) future ahead of them  ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
:clap:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »
swag

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:44:57 PM »
Interesting how we were all like "BLAAGH WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK" when they started the documentary.

It was really cool.

Offline jfwund

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:26:10 PM »
Hear, hear!!  :tup
—No, continued Aunt Kate, she wouldn't be said or led by anyone, slaving there in that choir night and day, night and day. Six o'clock on Christmas morning! And all for what?
—Well, isn't it for the honour of God, Aunt Kate? asked Mary Jane, twisting round on the piano-stool and smiling.
Aunt Kate turned fiercely on her niece and said:
—I know all about the honour of God, Mary Jane

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »
I just love how involved everyone is now.  I guess JP is the band "leader," but really not by much.  We have JLB who seems to be the main spokesman and front, we have JR who has strong input on all levels, and now we have JM who seems to be speaking out much more than he did before--I think I counted at least 5 little snippets, which is way more than any other documentary or commentary.

It love how DT is almost like an oligarchy of sorts.  It's not just one guy and four nobody's.....it's five equally talented and crucial pieces to the whole picture.

And now we have Mike Mangini, who is not only extremely intense and technical, but also very enthusiastic, energetic, and passionate.

Now that all this is over, I truly believe that DT's prime is yet to come...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:02:11 PM »
I think I counted at least 5 little snippets, which is way more than any other documentary or commentary.

Have people forgotten WDADRU? Over a couple of the songs, JM talked more than anyone.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline psychdoc

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »
That's a great post IdoSC!

I have a new appreciation for the band and its members as well after seeing a snippet of this process.
I am no longer a "lapsed" DT fan but a full-fledged fan giddy with anticipation.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »
Awesome words!!!!  :tup

Offline kefka

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 06:23:45 PM »
i know i don't post here much, but i agreed so much with the OP.

i thought the documentary made the process feel so organic.  when watching, i found my favorites (marco and mike), and more importantly, found WHY they were my favorites.  if someone told me that DT had invited the drummer for extreme to play for them, i would've groaned and worried about seeing them live.  but i saw why mike was such a good fit.

nothing against the immense talent of thomas lang or virgil donati, they're both great, but by the band letting me see the process, i understood that they weren't the right fit.  it was a tremendous gift from the band, and i can't wait for the new album and tour!

(and btw, am i the only one who has notice john myung doing more talking than he has in like 14 years?  lol)