Author Topic: Darkane  (Read 5815 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Darkane
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:06:02 AM »
After watching Peter Wildoer's audition for Dream Theater, I went and checked out Darkane. I'm listening through Expanding Senses for first time and it's really awesome. :metal

Discuss?
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline jsem

Re: Darkane
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »
Darkane is not really my cup of tea in metal tbh. Sorry Peter  :-\

I could totally see how one could enjoy it, and might enjoy it too if I listen more.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »
If I don't remember wrong, I think Darkane had a Maiden or Metallica-cover song back in the days when I listened to those bands.
Hearing their cover, I remember the vocals made me burst out laughing.
Obviously my taste has changed a lot since, and I know have a good tolerate level for that type of singing, so my opinion might be different if I tried again.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:57:10 PM »
Checked out some samples on Amazon and liked the music, but the vocals aren't my thing.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:00:14 PM »
I did the same thing, although before his vid and just on the basis of him posting here and being an awesome guy.

And I am really digging them so far! I've only heard their latest two albums but they really rock - the heavy bits are well done and there are some fantastic melodic sections in there as well. Really terrific stuff, so I'll be following them from now on!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
I only own Expanding Senses but it's fucking great album, I should pick up more of their work, great band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »
Love Darkane!   I saw them open for Testament at Chicago Powerfest in 2008, and they just blew me away.  Great riffs and insane drumming.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »
Checked out some samples on Amazon and liked the music, but the vocals aren't my thing.

I checked out a couple of videos on YouTube.  Same here regarding the vocals, although I think I could probably get used to them.  Are there any songs in particular that really define their sound and are the "definitive Darkane songs?"  If I were to get an album, which one would you recommend?  Has their sound changed much during their history, or have they stayed pretty constant?  Any suggestions on where to start for someone who likes heavy music, but isn't really into death metal specifically?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 01:33:22 PM »
well here's your typical Darkane https://youtu.be/z0SDpgz6Elo
and thats also what makes Darkane NOT typical (death) metal.

this album is 10 years old, so peter was 26 when he made/recorded this drumtracks.
this is odd time at a high level.
they have changed/evulated over the years. but sill insanity is such a great album...
man that endriff of "Hostile Phantasm" is so damn brutal!!!
they use samples, screams, normal voices, peter's grunts and it's a a thick wall of mayhem.
And all of the musicians are beasts in what they do. great skills.

yes i loved Darkane prior to the whole audition :-)
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »

I checked out a couple of videos on YouTube.  Same here regarding the vocals, although I think I could probably get used to them.  Are there any songs in particular that really define their sound and are the "definitive Darkane songs?"  If I were to get an album, which one would you recommend?  Has their sound changed much during their history, or have they stayed pretty constant?  Any suggestions on where to start for someone who likes heavy music, but isn't really into death metal specifically?

Chaos vs. Order is probably the most accessible song, with a wicked riff and groove.   The vocals are handled by two of their former vocalists in a duet.  https://youtu.be/Dr9Bta1IXTo

Rusted Angel is pretty much Swedish Thrash, and the remaining albums throw in a little more groove.  I tend to listen to the most recent album, Demonic Art, the most.

Absolution - https://youtu.be/Bm-TmE_FhZA

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »
I still need to order me some Darkane!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 09:05:49 AM »
Yo!
I totally can see that some of you have a hard time with Darkane, it's a totally different thing than DT. Of course especially the vocals. I guess it's very hard to say what the typical Darkane song would be?! We've always wanted to keep evolving yet not leave the path we started on. The more accessible tracks would be:
Innocence gone (from Expanding senses)
Chaos Vs. Order (from Expanding senses)
Layers of lies (from Layers of lies)
At least these are heavier tracks with not to much insanity added.

When it comes to albums they differ quite a lot with our second album 'Insanity' being the craziest and most demanding to the listener. The debut album 'Rusted angel' is more straight forward thrash and actually one of the first thrash/death records with the now classic recipe screaming vocals in the verse and "clean" vocals in the chorus. I would say that 'Expanding senses' and 'Layers of lies' would be great starters.

Also check out www.darkane.com and click Events for dates for the upcoming European tour.

Stay metal!
Peter

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 09:17:43 AM »
I just checked out a track on Youtube, and I hate to say that the vocals instantly turned me off too. Real shame, because I was really digging the music up to that point, but when it comes to that style of vocal, there are only a few I can listen to. Keeping in mind of course, that I'm not really a fan of death metal, so I don't mean that as a criticism.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 08:56:29 AM »
Can't believe no people comment here, listen to the guitar riffs folks...beastly! Anyway:

Another song from the upcoming album The Sinister Supremacy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPqptjv5oI
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:12:40 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
Can't believe no people comment here, listen to the guitar riffs folks...beastly! Anyway:

Hey!

Thanks for posting here though no one is answering.  ;) Really glad you like the new songs hope you will enjoy the whole album!

Cheers and stay metal!  :metal

Peter

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »
Whoa! Peter's here in the flesh! (or almost, I guess..)

Sorry, Peter, I haven't gotten around to checking out Darkane yet. My budget is unfortunately tight. :sad:

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »
Whoa! Peter's here in the flesh! (or almost, I guess..)

Sorry, Peter, I haven't gotten around to checking out Darkane yet. My budget is unfortunately tight. :sad:

Check the links above that MrBoom_shack-a-lack posted. We have our first vocalist Lawrence Mackrory back in the band. He sang on our debut album Rusted Angel and he's great on the new album! (If you like extreme vocals, that is.  :xbones)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »
I'm down with extreme vocals.

If I were going to get a Darkane album, which would you recommend be my first? The new one?

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 04:45:19 PM »
I would say the new yes. They are a bit different all of them but the new one is very much typical Darkane with a quite big variety if you ask me. It's also the most recent and perhaps it has the best production too.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 04:47:05 PM »
All right. If I ever make it back out to a music store, I'll pick it up!  :metal

By the way, thanks for posting here. It's cool to be able to talk to musicians directly. Rock on! :metal

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 04:51:20 PM »
Hope you'll make it!  :tup

Great talking!  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »

Hey!

Thanks for posting here though no one is answering.  ;) Really glad you like the new songs hope you will enjoy the whole album!

Cheers and stay metal!  :metal

Peter
Hi Peter!

Your welcome, the new album is killer so I feels it's my duty to educate people about that! :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 10:14:43 PM »
When's the new album released?  I ordered it a couple of weeks ago but it hasn't despatched yet.  That title track is incredible.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 12:37:21 AM »
It's been released. July 2 for the US so it should arrive anytime soon.  :)

Edit: I just saw you live in Australia. Can' help you there mate.  :sad:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 01:20:08 AM »
I would say the new yes.
I'm in the same situation as Shadow Ninja, so I'll listen to your advice :hat

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 04:38:31 AM »
It's been released. July 2 for the US so it should arrive anytime soon.  :)

Edit: I just saw you live in Australia. Can' help you there mate.  :sad:

Yeah, things take a little longer down here.  The website I use is pretty good at times and gets the cd's to me in a reasonable timeframe.  Finding anything besides mainstream stuff in stores in my state is rare.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 09:31:50 AM »
Mechanically Divine is a great song, i really need to pick this album, although the Hetlfield-like vocals are a bit meh ( i like the screams-growls).

Sick tune, hopefully the music stores in my town will have this available, i want to listen to more songs!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »
I would say the new yes.
I'm in the same situation as Shadow Ninja, so I'll listen to your advice :hat
My I flink in a bit: The new one is a good start actually, it's typical Darkane but in their prime and more melodic than before.

TSS and Layers Of Lies are both a good start.

If you want more of the extreme and dark side of Darkane try Expanding Senses and Insanity  (That album is total chaos!!)  :metal

My rank:

Insanity
Rusted Angel
Expanding Senses
Layers of Lies
Demonic Art

I think I skip ranking TSS until I have given it a proper run through.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 10:56:49 PM »
Holy crapsticks! I just listened to the title track from The Sinister Supremacy

This stuff is amazing. :letam: :2metal: :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 02:59:31 AM »
Holy crapsticks! I just listened to the title track from The Sinister Supremacy

This stuff is amazing. :letam: :2metal: :metal
2:47-3:04  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 05:30:42 AM »
Great seeing you guys enjoy it! It takes a few spins to get into Darkane normally, but then you will hopefully enjoy it for a long time.  ;)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »
Great seeing you guys enjoy it! It takes a few spins to get into Darkane normally, but then you will hopefully enjoy it for a long time.  ;)

I reckon so. This stuff seriously rocks!! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2013, 05:08:33 AM »
Received my copy in the mail and Friday and finally at home now to have a listen.  After one spin, it's very solid.  Peter is right, it needs repeated listens, but I love the consistency, the brutality and the guitar solos stood out too.  The drumming of course stood out a lot.

Enjoying it and looking forward to more spins.