Author Topic: Myung Speaks on the writing process  (Read 20748 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Myung Speaks on the writing process
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »
I'd definitely like to see more JLB too.  He can be great when he has the space to be creative and express himself.
I think if we write off Prophets of War as a horrifying anomaly, he has a really good track record for lyrics and vocal melodies. :tup

Sacrificed Sons is not great either, though not nearly as bad as PoW.
I think SS is pretty good. Not amazing, and not one of his best, but the lyrics are adequate in themselves and fit with the music very nicely.

Prophets of War had awkward phrasing and melodies, which is a shame as other than that I actually find it a fun song that's a little bit different. On that occasion, it was his contributions that ruined it somewhat.

But like I said, that was a blemish and everything else he's contributed has ranged from decent to brilliant.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
I like that, a few years ago - might've been at DT.net, even - there was a massive thread on here going on about a comment in the WDADRU commentary, where John Myung was saying that he really missed the old style of writing, and Mike just went "yeah, that's not really feasible any more."

It feels like that comment - which we all overanalysed and studied the hell out of - has received some closure.

Something happened between MP and JM.  I don't know what it is and I'm not saying it was some huge moment, but it was something.  MP singled him out in his Classic Rock interview as an example of what was wrong with the band.  I can't be the only one who remembers the WDADRU commentary when MP quickly shut him down.  It was actually kinda awkward.  I can't help but think they didn't do a band commentary track after that specifically because of that moment.  And of course there's the lyric rule.  You can say "well, it's just a new rule that's in there, and it's just a rule."  But who else was it meant to possibly address considering that everyone else wrote their own lyrics and vocal melodies?

MP didn't feel JM needed to contribute, and apparently neither did JM.  Listen to the bass stems from BCSL.  They sound like they were recorded in one take by someone who didn't give a crap.  Considering that every other JM bass track I've heard from Rock Band is almost perfectly played, again, something happened.

And now, all the sudden, JM has changed his role in the band from being almost completely quiet to actually being assertive at times and even making a point of doing so in the documentary.

Look, aren't there people in your life you basically just shut down around?  You don't want to tell jokes around them because they make fun of you or don't laugh.  You don't want to go anywhere with them because they dominate conversations in the car in a weird way.  You don't want to play video games with them because they constantly tell you you suck.  How do we know MP wasn't this person to JM?  Their actions certainly indicate it.

I don't even really understand what the counter-argument is.  Everyone else's role in the band has changed a bit, certainly.  JR is a much bigger personality, JP's the number 1 guy, and JLB's role in everything has grown a bit.  But these are all extensions of who they were before.  But, if you say everything else I just wrote isn't true, what's the reason JM changed so drastically?  Magic?  It's not like he's just stepping into the void like everyone else.  Otherwise he'd just do a bigger version of his past role, which is to do an interview here and there.

Look at the videos of the writing process for this album vs. the last few.  Without MP, the energy seems more calm, serious, and contemplative, things that seem to be huge parts of JM's personality.  The environment makes far more sense to him.  But even before that JLB said JM was speaking his mind way more than before.

Even if the basslines have a bigger role in the music, I'll be happy.  I'd be really excited if he started writing riffs again though.  The first riff of The Glass Prison (after the melodic intro) is one of my favorite DT riffs ever.*  And if he did something like he did with Trial of Tears, where he brought in a demo?  Oh my god.  I'd freak out.

And god forbid he writes lyrics.  My life would be complete.

Also, that makes it sound like JM's possibly second in command, writing-wise? It's possibly just because we heard the least from him on interviews in the past, so we're just now seeing that he's getting to lock in, but it feels like he's gone up a peg in the chain of writing, which is brilliant. I love JM.

Far be it for me of all people to say this, but I'm not sure we can presume that.  Jordan's been the number two music guy for a while and his mojo's actually increased since MP left.  But I do think (a) the writing process is a little less stratified in terms of pure numerical ranking and (b) even if he's the number three guy, that's more than almost nothing.

*In the Ten Degrees of Turbulent Drumming category, Mike says that riff started out with him and Myung jamming on it.
The thing about "the rule" is, I'm not sure the idea that Myung was being victimised by it holds any water whatsoever. I don't buy it.

It's always spun as "Portnoy oppresses Myung," but if you look at it the other way around, Myung absolutely has the option to write vocal melodies whenever he likes. The other guys all do it, but he doesn't. The way it went was that he'd write a poem, essentially - "freeform" - and it was then up to the other guys to match it to the music. Which is one hell of a headache. Have you ever tried editing? Hard enough editing your own stuff, let alone someone else's. And there's more than just a word count to think about. You've got to change words to fit new rhythms, slice out bits that you wish you could keep, all the while remaining faithful to the original. That's an odyssey. It's chopping up someone else's painting, disrespecting their original vision, and if it's not your own work it can be very uncomfortable. I totally get why the guys would want to go "look - please, edit your own stuff."

So, while "Supercilious Portnoy oppresses quiet Myung" is a very easy narrative, I think it's perhaps a little lopsided. (Not that I particularly support any rule that makes Myung-lyrics scarce, but equally, he could've always just written a vocal melody.)

Also, I get the feeling that the amount of Myung contribution to the documentary stems more from the editing decisions than any increased openness.* They'll have interviewed them all specifically, and some editor probably went "oh, we've not had much Myung, put some clips of him in." Myung's always been a quiet bloke, and he probably always will be. I think he's camera-shy, to tell the truth. But when JM speaks, we listen, and it fills me with optimism. I hope I'm wrong inasmuch as it's just the editing, though - I'd love to see a slightly more vocal Myung.

They're both nitpicks, though. I agree with absolutely everything else, and think you've put it superbly. I'm typing like a fucking dunce today, so pardon my complete lack of eloquence - I'm essentially just going to parrot everything you've just said, only with worse phrasing - but Myung looks like he feels at home. He's in the environment he's clearly wanted to go back to for a while now - and, I think, not having Portnoy's loud, exuberant personality around is probably good for Myung. They're clearly opposite ends of a spectrum. The rest of the guys have always been more balanced, but with Portnoy being omnipresent and a lot more vocal they'll have spent more time reflecting Portnoy's personality than Myung's.

I think Myung's finally got room to breathe. The entire band seem to be in such a healthy mindset. The healthiest they've been in a while. They've got the right drummer, the right environment, a brand new atmosphere with cleaner air, and - for the first time in a fair few years - something to prove.

I've always insisted that rumours of DT's demise have always been greatly exaggerated, and I stick by that. DT don't need a new golden age. But the change is so thrilling and reinvigorating that this could easily be the start of one.

*In another way, though, this absolutely reinforces the rift you're suggesting, because when Portnoy directed, Myung was nowhere to be seen. But I'm just getting the disagreements out of the way before I move onto the wall of "hear, hear!"

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 06:53:55 PM »

I think Myung's finally got room to breathe. The entire band seem to be in such a healthy mindset. The healthiest they've been in a while. They've got the right drummer, the right environment, a brand new atmosphere with cleaner air, and - for the first time in a fair few years - something to prove.

I've always insisted that rumours of DT's demise have always been greatly exaggerated, and I stick by that. DT don't need a new golden age. But the change is so thrilling and reinvigorating that this could easily be the start of one.

That thought really gets me stoked for this album! An excellent point.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »
So, while "Supercilious Portnoy oppresses quiet Myung" is a very easy narrative, I think it's perhaps a little lopsided. (Not that I particularly support any rule that makes Myung-lyrics scarce, but equally, he could've always just written a vocal melody.)

That's fair to say.  It did always somewhat confuse me that Myung wouldn't just start writing vocal melodies.  I think a lot of it has to do too with the way it happened moreso than just being a rule.  Based on the vocal melodies in ToT and FT, it seems like MP was the one turning JM's lyrics into vocals, and that he was personally tired of it.  Considering that many things MP does are very personal, I can't imagine this didn't go the same way.

Also, I get the feeling that the amount of Myung contribution to the documentary stems more from the editing decisions than any increased openness.* They'll have interviewed them all specifically, and some editor probably went "oh, we've not had much Myung, put some clips of him in." Myung's always been a quiet bloke, and he probably always will be. I think he's camera-shy, to tell the truth. But when JM speaks, we listen, and it fills me with optimism. I hope I'm wrong inasmuch as it's just the editing, though - I'd love to see a slightly more vocal Myung.

Also a fair point, especially in terms of more Myung being purely a product of editing.  My only counter is that in the interview where he says he spoke up, there was a confidence I'd never seen from Myung before.  Something completely new in him came alive.

They're both nitpicks, though. I agree with absolutely everything else, and think you've put it superbly. I'm typing like a fucking dunce today, so pardon my complete lack of eloquence - I'm essentially just going to parrot everything you've just said, only with worse phrasing - but Myung looks like he feels at home. He's in the environment he's clearly wanted to go back to for a while now - and, I think, not having Portnoy's loud, exuberant personality around is probably good for Myung. They're clearly opposite ends of a spectrum. The rest of the guys have always been more balanced, but with Portnoy being omnipresent and a lot more vocal they'll have spent more time reflecting Portnoy's personality than Myung's.

I like all of that.  You're good.  It's a more positive way of saying what I said, which makes more sense to more people.

*In another way, though, this absolutely reinforces the rift you're suggesting, because when Portnoy directed, Myung was nowhere to be seen. But I'm just getting the disagreements out of the way before I move onto the wall of "hear, hear!"

Oh god.  I'm becoming more reasonable and you've started using footnotes.  At what point do we mesh into one poster, simply known as "ReapWebster?"
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »
This record's gonna be phenominal. If it isn't, I'll be most upset.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »
JM Finished tracking bass today!  :corn

https://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?73583-Welcome-Mike-Mangini

"Well, it's been a very exciting day for all of us in Dream Theater and we are happy to finally share the news that Mike Mangini is our new drummer! He is not only a beast of a player but an incredible person as well who truly and fully understands and values everything that we strive to be as a band. Thank you for being so patient and incredibly supportive to us throughout the years and especially over the last several months. Thank you for your faith in us and your immediate and practically across-the-board acceptance of Mike Mangini as our new drummer. Thank you for the positive words about the documentary and all of your passion and dedication. The movie is our gift and our invitation into something that would traditionally be very private and I appreciate everyone's sensitivity towards that. There's a lot of work to be done, so back to the studio. JM finished tracking bass today and Jordan is recording as I type. Things are real busy around here. Can't wait for everyone to hear the new music and to begin playing live with Mike!
God Bless,
John "

Offline robwebster

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2011, 07:41:21 PM »
Oh god.  I'm becoming more reasonable and you've started using footnotes.  At what point do we mesh into one poster, simply known as "ReapWebster?"
Hopefully within the next seven days - because frankly, that sounds fucking brilliant.

That's fair to say.  It did always somewhat confuse me that Myung wouldn't just start writing vocal melodies.  I think a lot of it has to do too with the way it happened moreso than just being a rule.  Based on the vocal melodies in ToT and FT, it seems like MP was the one turning JM's lyrics into vocals, and that he was personally tired of it.  Considering that many things MP does are very personal, I can't imagine this didn't go the same way.

Also a fair point, especially in terms of more Myung being purely a product of editing.  My only counter is that in the interview where he says he spoke up, there was a confidence I'd never seen from Myung before.  Something completely new in him came alive.
Yep, I did have this sort of ticking away at the back of my mind. A little voice, saying "if Myung's always been speaking like this... how come we haven't heard more of it?" He absolutely seems invigorated. I love seeing an invigorated Myung. It's the best kind of unsettling.

Again, aye! This isn't me deliberately agreeing in order to push the ReapWebster thing - I'd say you're almost certainly right. I don't think Myung would actively resent the rule, and I don't think Portnoy would actively try to marginalise him, but I can see them growing apart. I think Myung and Portnoy have always been a little too different to one another.

That said! Myung said something in one of the previous episodes, when he was evaluating a very credible candidate (might've been Marco?), and it was along the lines of "There came a point where I thought 'okay, this guy might not be Mike Portnoy, but he's still pretty good'." I don't think Myung's and Portnoy's relationship was necessarily under too much strain - they were brothers! Distant brothers, but he seemed genuinely quite sad that they were having to find a replacement for Portnoy, even once the audition process had begun, I thought. But yes, I think the new environment's going to be very good for Myung.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:52:17 PM by robwebster »

Offline xeper

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
Something happened between MP and JM.  I don't know what it is and I'm not saying it was some huge moment, but it was something.  MP singled him out in his Classic Rock interview as an example of what was wrong with the band.  I can't be the only one who remembers the WDADRU commentary when MP quickly shut him down.  It was actually kinda awkward.  I can't help but think they didn't do a band commentary track after that specifically because of that moment.
I have the WDADRU CD but not the DVD, can you shed some light on what this commentary incident involved? Just curious.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 08:33:06 PM »
Supercilious Portnoy oppresses quiet Myung

Just Let Me Breathe, man

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »
Something happened between MP and JM.  I don't know what it is and I'm not saying it was some huge moment, but it was something.  MP singled him out in his Classic Rock interview as an example of what was wrong with the band.  I can't be the only one who remembers the WDADRU commentary when MP quickly shut him down.  It was actually kinda awkward.  I can't help but think they didn't do a band commentary track after that specifically because of that moment.
I have the WDADRU CD but not the DVD, can you shed some light on what this commentary incident involved? Just curious.

I don't really remember the specifics, so I don't want to butcher it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline j

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 08:44:27 PM »
Reap and Rob, you both make some good points.

But (mostly directed at Reap's initial post) I don't think we have enough information to actually draw anywhere near all of those conclusions.  I mean think about it, we've all seen the same footage of the band over the years.  And there's probably a couple of hours of it, if you were to combine it all.  Point is, it amounts to an infinitesimally small fraction of their day to day interactions, dynamics of working together, etc.  Not only that, but a lot of it is probably not entirely representative of the reality, thanks to editing, the guys knowing they're on camera, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I have EXACTLY the same opinions you do on the matter, Reap.  I've gotten the same feelings from watching those parts that you mentioned, and it's basically been my working understanding of the way things are within the band for the past several years, as far as I can tell.  And it's convenient for me because I use it to help explain my own lack of regard for the past few DT albums.  But realistically, we have so little actual information that we really know next to nothing about the inner workings of the DT machine, beyond a few general personality traits of the guys.

-J

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 03:01:54 AM »
What does the X stand for? I never got that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2011, 04:22:48 AM »
Oh god.  I'm becoming more reasonable and you've started using footnotes.  At what point do we mesh into one poster, simply known as "ReapWebster?"

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 05:09:27 AM »
:lol I think ReapWebster would be amazing. Intelligent, insightful and diplomatic. That would be amazing, not that you guys don't both do a pretty damn good job of those things already, it was just be that SQUARED!

Regarding Myung's enthusiasm in the doc, I'm more with Reap on that one. In terms of how much he said, they may have just made sure they edited in a few bits they have, there's no way to know. But regardless, he was showing more enthusiasm and energy than we've seen from him in a long time. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2011, 08:42:56 AM »

eXtreme I think.

Offline Slain

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »

eXtreme I think.

It's just, there. It stands for everything, and nothing.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2011, 07:04:05 AM »
Something from episode three that just made me all giggly inside.

Quote from: John Myung
It kinda reminds me of the one-on-one dynamic that, um, I used to have when I'd go over to his (John's) house and collaborate and stuff.

So little, yet that means so much to me.

I'm even more excited about this record now.

Same here. I'm excited about Mangini joining the band, but it's that sentence up there that makes me really look forward to the new album! :)
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline psychdoc

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2011, 09:58:20 AM »

It kinda reminds me of the one-on-one dynamic that, um, I used to have when I'd go over to his (John's) house and collaborate and stuff.

This comment got me incredibly excited when I saw it in the documentary. I agree with a lot of the other posts here that JM, and the rest of the band as a whole, seem to have found new energy and life, which I hope will translate to a phenomenal new record with a lot of creative riffs and jams.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »
Another Images & Words would be nice  ;D

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2011, 10:21:24 AM »
I think it's great that JMX is gonna have a bigger role in the writing process, including the lyrics this time around!  :metal

Also, I agree with Reap's initial post.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »

eXtreme I think.

It's just, there. It stands for everything, and nothing.

:lol :lol :metal

Offline PetFish

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »

It's in some documentary footage that on his dressing room door the sign just says "J M X" so people started referring to him as that.  We don't know why his room is labelled like that and nobody can ask him cuz he never comes out.

Personally, I think it's stupid and just refer him as "JM".  He's not "John Myung Fold" or "John Myung Ten" or "John Myung Marks The Spot".

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2011, 10:49:13 PM »
Personally, I think it's stupid and just refer him as "JM".  He's not "John Myung Fold" or "John Myung Ten" or "John Myung Marks The Spot".

What about "John Myung Hugs?"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2011, 11:35:02 PM »
I just think JMX sounds kinda cool.  The X makes it cool.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2011, 11:37:24 PM »
I guess I'll be one of the uncool persons still using JM. Oh wait, JM himself uses it as well, so it can't be that bad.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 12:21:19 AM »

What about "John Myung Hugs?"

X's are kisses, O's are hugs, but no, he wouldn't be "John Myung Kisses" either.  He's also not:

John Myung Ray Goggles
John Myung Rated
John Myung Christ(mas)
John Myung Malcolm
John Myung Weapon
John Myung Triple
John Myung Box
John Myung Men
John Myung The Tenth
John Myung Factor
John Myung Files
John Myung  :xbones

John Myung I'm Sure There's More But My Brain Is Fried

I'd like to get a definitive answer from one of the guys about why it was printed like that but until then I'm sticking with "JM".

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 03:35:29 AM »
I guess I'll be one of the uncool persons still using JM. Oh wait, JM himself uses it as well, so it can't be that bad.
I also just use JM.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 05:11:21 AM »
JMX

Like BMX
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:47 AM »

I thought this would be the quote...

"                                             "
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jamhet

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 06:09:07 AM »
Myung said something in one of the previous episodes, when he was evaluating a very credible candidate (might've been Marco?), and it was along the lines of "There came a point where I thought 'okay, this guy might not be Mike Portnoy, but he's still pretty good'." I don't think Myung's and Portnoy's relationship was necessarily under too much strain - they were brothers!
Yup. I would also like not to exaggerate the supposed oppresion of JM in the clash of opposing personalities with Porntoy.
If that was such an issue for John, or an issue at all, he would've been inclined to praise Thomas Lang more than Marco Minneman, who is nearly as outspoken and social as Porntoy.

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2011, 06:32:31 AM »
If that was such an issue for John, or an issue at all, he would've been inclined to praise Thomas Lang more than Marco Minneman, who is nearly as outspoken and social as Porntoy.

The way personalities mesh or clash is waaaay more complicated than that.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 07:03:56 AM »
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline jamhet

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2011, 08:08:58 AM »
The way personalities mesh or clash is waaaay more complicated than that.
Yup, exactly.

I should've express the Lang thing as a supposition.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »

I don't recall the exact wording, but it was in the band commentary and was along the lines of:  At one point during the show, JM comments in the commentary that he missed the WDADU days, where the band would just hang out and jam ideas for hours on end, and it would be cool to do that again.  Mike responded along the lines of, "that was cool back then, but totally not realistic now becaus we all have families and so on, and that just wouldn't work with our present lifestyles."  Predictably, it got blown up into Internet drama and became "oh no!  Mike is oppressing poor John Myung and not letting him speak his mind! :dangerwillrobinson: "  Although, in fairness, I think some may have blown it up more because they took offense at Mike's later attempt at humor when made a comment about it being a "John Myung thereapy sessions," or some such, which always struck me as him attempting a joke that sounded a lot funnier in his head than when he said it out loud.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2011, 08:22:31 AM »

This to me almost meant more than the entire documentary series. Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited about Mangini and the future of Dream Theater. To me I believe MP was taking too much control and leading the band towards a path that maybe they didn't all want to go in, and I think JM is the biggest example of that. It seems we have heard very little from JM in the past 5-6 years and all we do hear is MP talking as if he's not even in the band other than to play shows. As a bass player who has admired JM for years and years, I hated this.  :(
But JM lyrics? JM jamming? JM giving his thoughts?
These are all things I love to see.

This might just be the most exciting Dream Theater album yet. JM activity makes me very excited.