Author Topic: Myung Speaks on the writing process  (Read 20750 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Myung Speaks on the writing process
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:24:44 AM »
Something from episode three that just made me all giggly inside.

Quote from: John Myung
It kinda reminds me of the one-on-one dynamic that, um, I used to have when I'd go over to his (John's) house and collaborate and stuff.

So little, yet that means so much to me.

I'm even more excited about this record now.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Myung Speaks on the writing process
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »
 :metal

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:33:45 AM »
Promising. Very, very promising.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:34:33 AM »
I agree, hearing John Myung and watching him in this video was definitely something awesome in and of itself. He seems really inspired. Maybe I'm just projecting but I feel like he's going to pursue a more active role again. To be honest, MP did a lot so when DT says they are going to step it up to cover all of their bases I take it as everyone is going to try to do a little more now that a prominent voice is missing from the equation.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 09:44:03 AM »
I agree, hearing John Myung and watching him in this video was definitely something awesome in and of itself. He seems really inspired. Maybe I'm just projecting but I feel like he's going to pursue a more active role again. To be honest, MP did a lot so when DT says they are going to step it up to cover all of their bases I take it as everyone is going to try to do a little more now that a prominent voice is missing from the equation.

This.  And it makes me excited for the new album, even if my first choice didn't get the gig.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 10:16:45 AM »
Hearing JM say that made me feel way better about this album.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 12:24:51 PM »

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 12:26:34 PM »
Agree. Also, seeing him smile when Peter played was AWESOME!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
Agree. Also, seeing him smile when Peter played was AWESOME!

That was easily one of the best moments from the whole thing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
Myung's quote in the OP jumped right out at me. That, and and he called himself "JM" on the speakerphone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »
Yes, all of the above. I predict this album will be DT's best in quite a while.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
This.

Now, if JM wrote some lyrics for the album, I'd be very, very giddy!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 01:21:01 PM »
Mangini rules.
All the guys in DT are stepping up in their roles.
Even with all this new stuff going on, that old chemistry between the guys is rekindled.
Everyone in the group seems to be very excited, rejuvenated and in tip-top shape.
Mangini rules.

All of these things are making me super excited for this album naow.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 03:35:05 PM »
great quote from JM, but how much of the writing process do you think MM was a part of? definitely not the whole time, but i REALLY hope he was there in that process

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »
great quote from JM, but how much of the writing process do you think MM was a part of? definitely not the whole time, but i REALLY hope he was there in that process

If he wasn't there (I hope he was), it's not unreasonable to think the other guys sent him MP3's regularly for his input.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 03:38:05 PM »
I posted this in another thread, but it's relevant here too.

Considering the emphasis on the drummer's ability to jam (akin to being in a writing scenario), I think MM will have quite a bit of input in the writing of the album (and his drum parts).  They welcomed him as a member of the family, not an adopted brother.  I'm sure DT wanted a guy who could mesh well into their existing writing dynamic, as opposed to writing an album and saying "play this".

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »
You kind of have to wonder if JM had some creative stuff in the toolbox that he has now brought to the DT table.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »
This part really got me pretty pumped too. It sounds pretty pretty pretty promising!

It sounds like they are not writing/recording simultaneously.  

Offline robwebster

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
I like that, a few years ago - might've been at DT.net, even - there was a massive thread on here going on about a comment in the WDADRU commentary, where John Myung was saying that he really missed the old style of writing, and Mike just went "yeah, that's not really feasible any more."

It feels like that comment - which we all overanalysed and studied the hell out of - has received some closure. Also, that makes it sound like JM's possibly second in command, writing-wise? It's possibly just because we heard the least from him on interviews in the past, so we're just now seeing that he's getting to lock in, but it feels like he's gone up a peg in the chain of writing, which is brilliant. I love JM.

I liked JR's comment at the end, too. Admittedly, every album's going to be the "best in a long time" no matter who you ask, but they sounded pretty charged. I'm very excited.

Not as excited as Mike Mangini, but very excited.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 03:42:52 PM »
You kind of have to wonder if JM had some creative stuff in the toolbox that he has now brought to the DT table.

Hopefully some unused grooves from the Awake era.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 03:44:47 PM »
^Pretty much agreed, though JR is such a strong force in the band, that it is hard to tell.

If anything else, I'd say the creativity playing field is MUCH more even. I am getting such a good vibe from the documentary and all 5 personalities.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 03:47:21 PM »
That was one of my favourite parts of the documentary. Very excited! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »
That quote from JMX and his attitude in the interviews and demenor in the documentary made me pretty excited about him being able to contribute like 'the old days'. I could be completely making this up and off base but it just appeared that JMX was shut down (so to speak) by MP due to JMX's unique writing ability. He seems to calculate things more and create by 'baking' the ideas and lyrics for that manner rather than use the 'microwave' style that MP displayed.
   It is just exciting to see a man who has proven through past lyrics that he is thoughtful and genuine....be so excited for an upcoming opportunity and album. Maybe he's like that all the time for every album and we just weren't aware of it because there wasn't a documnetary team around, but he does seem 'different' in a good way. The fact that we heard several long sentences from him all at once is a welcome change as well.
  I am one of those 'JMX's lyrics are Gospel Guys' so I am PRAYING that he writes the lyrics to a song or two on this next album. To me DT has missed his poetic, abstract style of writing. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »
The new found chemistry with Mangini has no doubt bolstered the creative energy of each band member.
 With that in mind, All I can say is  :metal  :biggrin:  :hat  :millahhhh  ;D  :D  :yarr  :coolio

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »
I like that, a few years ago - might've been at DT.net, even - there was a massive thread on here going on about a comment in the WDADRU commentary, where John Myung was saying that he really missed the old style of writing, and Mike just went "yeah, that's not really feasible any more."

It feels like that comment - which we all overanalysed and studied the hell out of - has received some closure.

Something happened between MP and JM.  I don't know what it is and I'm not saying it was some huge moment, but it was something.  MP singled him out in his Classic Rock interview as an example of what was wrong with the band.  I can't be the only one who remembers the WDADRU commentary when MP quickly shut him down.  It was actually kinda awkward.  I can't help but think they didn't do a band commentary track after that specifically because of that moment.  And of course there's the lyric rule.  You can say "well, it's just a new rule that's in there, and it's just a rule."  But who else was it meant to possibly address considering that everyone else wrote their own lyrics and vocal melodies?

MP didn't feel JM needed to contribute, and apparently neither did JM.  Listen to the bass stems from BCSL.  They sound like they were recorded in one take by someone who didn't give a crap.  Considering that every other JM bass track I've heard from Rock Band is almost perfectly played, again, something happened.

And now, all the sudden, JM has changed his role in the band from being almost completely quiet to actually being assertive at times and even making a point of doing so in the documentary.

Look, aren't there people in your life you basically just shut down around?  You don't want to tell jokes around them because they make fun of you or don't laugh.  You don't want to go anywhere with them because they dominate conversations in the car in a weird way.  You don't want to play video games with them because they constantly tell you you suck.  How do we know MP wasn't this person to JM?  Their actions certainly indicate it.

I don't even really understand what the counter-argument is.  Everyone else's role in the band has changed a bit, certainly.  JR is a much bigger personality, JP's the number 1 guy, and JLB's role in everything has grown a bit.  But these are all extensions of who they were before.  But, if you say everything else I just wrote isn't true, what's the reason JM changed so drastically?  Magic?  It's not like he's just stepping into the void like everyone else.  Otherwise he'd just do a bigger version of his past role, which is to do an interview here and there.

Look at the videos of the writing process for this album vs. the last few.  Without MP, the energy seems more calm, serious, and contemplative, things that seem to be huge parts of JM's personality.  The environment makes far more sense to him.  But even before that JLB said JM was speaking his mind way more than before.

Even if the basslines have a bigger role in the music, I'll be happy.  I'd be really excited if he started writing riffs again though.  The first riff of The Glass Prison (after the melodic intro) is one of my favorite DT riffs ever.*  And if he did something like he did with Trial of Tears, where he brought in a demo?  Oh my god.  I'd freak out.

And god forbid he writes lyrics.  My life would be complete.

Also, that makes it sound like JM's possibly second in command, writing-wise? It's possibly just because we heard the least from him on interviews in the past, so we're just now seeing that he's getting to lock in, but it feels like he's gone up a peg in the chain of writing, which is brilliant. I love JM.

Far be it for me of all people to say this, but I'm not sure we can presume that.  Jordan's been the number two music guy for a while and his mojo's actually increased since MP left.  But I do think (a) the writing process is a little less stratified in terms of pure numerical ranking and (b) even if he's the number three guy, that's more than almost nothing.

*In the Ten Degrees of Turbulent Drumming category, Mike says that riff started out with him and Myung jamming on it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:22:45 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
I like your post Reap.

I smileed in my pants.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 04:33:29 PM »
I like your post Reap.

I smileed in my pants.

In Lifting Shadows... the guys said something to the effect that JMX chooses his words wisely. And thus, they carry a lot of weight (also applying to his lyrics). I think in the documentary when the point was brought up about "if a guy really feels strongly about something" they were CLEARLY indicating to JMX. I don't know what. But maybe it was "Hey guys, I really connect with Mangini. I want to feel a part of this band again."

I don't know. JMX is my favorite bassist in the world...I hope SO MUCH that he has a tasty bass line on the text album.

Offline jsem

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 05:24:36 PM »
Reap's post is seriously one of the best posts ever on the DT-side.

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
Far be it for me of all people to say this, but I'm not sure we can presume that.  Jordan's been the number two music guy for a while and his mojo's actually increased since MP left.  But I do think (a) the writing process is a little less stratified in terms of pure numerical ranking and (b) even if he's the number three guy, that's more than almost nothing.

He might even still be last, and contribute a lot more; JLB is hopefully stepping up his involvement (lyrics & vocals wise) significantly, too.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »

He might even still be last, and contribute a lot more; JLB is hopefully stepping up his involvement (lyrics & vocals wise) significantly, too.

I'd definitely like to see more JLB too.  He can be great when he has the space to be creative and express himself.
Over and over again

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 05:54:18 PM »
Far be it for me of all people to say this, but I'm not sure we can presume that.  Jordan's been the number two music guy for a while and his mojo's actually increased since MP left.  But I do think (a) the writing process is a little less stratified in terms of pure numerical ranking and (b) even if he's the number three guy, that's more than almost nothing.

I'd definitely like to see more JLB too.  He can be great when he has the space to be creative and express himself.
I think if we write off Prophets of War as a horrifying anomaly, he has a really good track record for lyrics and vocal melodies. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 05:58:19 PM »
Not as excited as Mike Mangini, but very excited.

Imagine if they were. That would've been fun to watch...  :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 06:23:02 PM »
Far be it for me of all people to say this, but I'm not sure we can presume that.  Jordan's been the number two music guy for a while and his mojo's actually increased since MP left.  But I do think (a) the writing process is a little less stratified in terms of pure numerical ranking and (b) even if he's the number three guy, that's more than almost nothing.

I think if we write off Prophets of War as a horrifying anomaly, he has a really good track record for lyrics and vocal melodies. :tup

Sacrificed Sons is not great either, though not nearly as bad as PoW.

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
I thought it was cool when they called Mike and were like:

"Hey it's James"
"and John"
"Jordan here"
"and JM"

It was really neat to see JMX to refer to himself as JM. Now he just needs to add the X...