Author Topic: The moment you've been waiting for: Dream Theater's new drummer announced!  (Read 36545 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
After auditioning seven of the world's top drummers, an intense deliberation process, and months of waiting, Dream Theater has finally announced its newest member:  Mike Mangini. 

From Mike's official bio at www.mikemangini.com:

Mike Mangini has successfully applied his Rhythm Knowledge learning method to all styles of music, from classical & jazz to speed metal. He has consistently developed both the melodic and rhythmic sides of his musical personality. He has documented his command of these styles on recordings, with Internationally Renown and Multi Platinum Selling bands, as a multi-time Grammy nominee, as the featured clinician at most every drum festival in the world, and as a full-time faculty member at Berklee College of Music along with being named to their Educational Committee and as Advisor to the Percussion students.

He is both teacher and student. He has been performing since the age of 4 and studying music since age 5. He studied percussion privately with Walter Tokarczyk (Public School System, Waltham, MA), from age 10 through 18. Since 1987 he has given private instruction to drummers, guitarists, and pianists. Michael completed his first drum clinic tour in 1996, and since then he has traveled the world as a clinician selling out venues in over 40 countries. The principles on which he based his extraordinary style can be found in his publications entitled Rhythm Knowledge Volumes I and II. 

His numerous awards include: Official Multi Category W.F.D. World’s Fastest Drummer, Boston's Best Drummer/Rhythm Section; NAJE All Eastern United States Percussionist - First Chair; All Massachusetts Jazz Band Drummer - First Chair; All Massachusetts Concert Band Percussionist - First Chair; All Massachusetts (N.E. District) Jazz Band Drummer - First Chair; Concert Band Percussionist (N.E. District) First Chair., and he appears in Drum Magazine Reader’s Polls yearly.

He has spent time in the recording studios. His more celebrated Rock credits include his 6 records in 4 years with Steve Vai, Waiting for the Punchline by Extreme, Set the World on Fire, Metal & All for You by Annihilator, (Mullmuzzler 1, 2, and Elements of Persuasion) with Dream Theater’s James LaBrie, & Tourist by Pop Artist Chris Emerson .

When Mike speaks of the importance of being able to relate to others "in and out of the limelight", he is talking from experience. He has performed in over 40 countries numerous times, led his High School bandmates to State, or National 1st place victories in Classical, Jazz, Percussin Ensemble and Marching Band, as well as, won Outstanding Musician Honors 7 times at mulit-school events, and is an active clinician with close multi year relationships to his endorsement companies and to the bulk of his drumming peers. He has also earned the respcect of his students on a personal and professional level with the highest student response rate percentage (in three consecutive years,) for all college professors in the national OCE online evaluations.

The official video revealing Mike as the new drummer can be found on RoadRunner Records' YouTube page:  https://www.youtube.com/roadrunnerrecords

Mike, on behalf of the staff and fans at www.dreamtheaterforums.org, welcome to the family!

For more official information, visit:
Official Dream Theater website
Dream Theater's official Facebook page
Dream Theater's official MySpace page

And, of course, whenever there is DT news to be had, you can bet you can probably find it right here on the biggest, most visited Dream Theater fan site on the entire Internet, www.dreamtheaterforums.org!

:majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:51:49 AM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Better luck next time Donati :(

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
fantastic. can't wait to hear the record!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
340 guests and climbing.

mangini must have some fans of his own
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm happy with this. :)
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike is a PERFECT FIT!

I can not wait to see this band live and hear the new record!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Congrats, Mike Mangini!  Welcome to the Dream Theater family!  Mike, if you eventually read this, I want to say how incredibly excited I am that you are the new drummer.  Your genuine enthusiasm and and eagerness to become a part of our beloved band personally gave me chills and made me proud to be a fan of Dream Theater.  You're a class act all the way.  The band made a great choice, and I'm so excited to see you kick our asses at live shows! 

All hail the master, Mike Mangini!!  :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Love it. Can't wait for the new album and the tour.

Again: Congratulations to Mike Mangini! :tup Definitely a great fit for the band.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:39:48 AM by tri.ad »
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
And, of course, whenever there is DT news to be had, you can bet you can probably find it right here on the biggest, most visited Dream Theater fan site on the entire Internet, www.dreamtheaterforums.org!

:majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2: :majesty2:

Damn straight. :hat
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TL

Excellent choice! Can't wait to hear the new record.

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
I seriously got goosebumps the last 3 minutes of the video! This is going to be GREAT!

Offline PraXis

I was hoping for Marco or Mangini, so all is good!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Excellent! Welcome to the family!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Documentary was pretty cool, congrats to Mike! He seems like he'll fit in perfectly with the band

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I think my favorite part (ironically) was James calling Mike at the end, and Mike is clearly freaking out in anticipation and James says "I'm sorry.....................for making you wait so long".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I am thrilled with the new drummer being Mangini.  He looks to be a natural fit. 

Bring on new tunes. :metal

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Mangini's site is "out of service"
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Congrats Mike!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Actually, this documental had more Myung speaking moments than any other video I've ever seen.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Sixtease

Welcome Mike Mangini, drummer of Dream Theater. Congratulations! Lots of fun and satisfaction to you, the band and us fans! :metal

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
I gotta say, the last ten minutes were pretty emotional and amazing!

Although I was pulling for MaMi, MM fits like a glove. He really does.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Loved seeing you play with Extreme and I can't wait to see you play with DT.........Your new home!!!!!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
I'm very happy with the choice! I also really enjoyed the documentary! FANTASTIC all around!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Congrats, Mike!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

Mike seems like a GREAT fit with the band, and I greatly look forward to seeing/hearing more of him with the band in the coming months. I really hope we get some more in-studio vids from JR or anyone as the new album has been written/recorded! Maybe between now and the summer shows, they put together a music video with Mangini for the upcoming album's first single? That would be amazing, and a great way for the band to really welcome MM into the DT family and let the world know that they have made the right and best decision they could have made!

Soooooooooo haaaaaaaaaaaappy right now!!! :D

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline NighthawkDrew

Congrats to Mike Mangini!!

Offline Rob801

Been a lurker for a long time but I can't think of a more fitting first post that to say congratulations and welcome to Mike Mangini. I love the way this was presented and had a lot of different (mixed) emotions watching it (with my 11 year old son and 9 year old daughter glued to my side ;)) but was definitely pleased with the outcome. I am really looking forward to the new album... But then again there hasn't been a time since I discovered DT in 92' that I wasn't!

Offline wilgod3p

I find it funny they used the words " Welcome to the family" because they were used by avenged sevenfold to welcome MP in the band.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
I am so so so happy, excited and pumped for this.  Amazing news, it really is.  ;D

Also from MM: I just want to express my happiness in being DT's new drummer. It is an honor just to be associated with them, the other drummers and MP. They exude courage, perseverance and greatness. I love that they're all heros to me and to their fans. I'll reveal some details about my path in upcoming interviews. I'm deeply grateful for all the well wishes. I have work to do, but my drum tracks are done :):)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
From where's that?!  :metal :metal
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
If there's one thing that I need to know about Mangini, is that he is classy individual. That message spoke volumes to me.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Now i can finally eat something....

Welcome Mike Mangini!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Peter, congrats for your audition, you've been really great!!!

Offline Tomislav95

I'm really happy because of Mike Mangini!
Good luck Mike, make a great album :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit